9-17: "Transplant Wasteland" 2013.03.14

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

90 replies to this topic

lovlylizzy

lovlylizzy

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 14, 2013 @ 9:13 PM

"Transplant Wasteland" - The discord and chaos created by the hospital's new management team causes one physician to question his future at Seattle Grace. Meanwhile, the doctors and the interns must juggle several transplant surgeries at once, each coming with its own set of obstacles, on "Grey's Anatomy," THURSDAY, MARCH 14 (9:00-10:02 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network.

"Grey's Anatomy" stars Ellen Pompeo as Meredith Grey, Patrick Dempsey as Derek Shepherd, Sandra Oh as Cristina Yang, Justin Chambers as Alex Karev, Chandra Wilson as Miranda Bailey, James Pickens, Jr. as Richard Webber, Sara Ramirez as Callie Torres, Eric Dane as Mark Sloan, Kevin McKidd as Owen Hunt, Jessica Capshaw as Arizona Robbins, Jesse Williams as Jackson Avery and Sarah Drew as April Kepner.

Erratic

Erratic

Stalker

Posted Mar 14, 2013 @ 9:22 PM

I was dreading this episode and storyline based on the sneak peaks and I was pleasantly surprised.
The ALS patient story made me feel things, and the resolution of Jackson and the new board made me feel more positive about the rest of the season.

No surprise about renaming the hospital, but it was well done.

TXSforever

TXSforever

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 14, 2013 @ 9:22 PM

Callie needs to just die, what an insufferable bitch to Avery this entire episode.

kurtz

kurtz

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 14, 2013 @ 9:23 PM

The last ten minutes could not redeem a horribly boring, lacklustre episode.

The good:

Avery stands up
New hospital name
Derek admits he's mad at Mark
April, actually

The bad:

The two transplant stories, with caricature teenaged and elderly patients
Cristina spilling the beans to Owen
Owen
Alex

The ugly:

Catherine Avery's everything . (I love Debbie Allen, but Catherine is OTT, in a bad way)
The whole scene where Catherine tells Richard about Jackson's dad's abandonment of Jackson and her. (Retcon?)

Do we have to have a tenth season?

lovlylizzy

lovlylizzy

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 14, 2013 @ 9:25 PM

So basically all of Jackson's suggestions except for the last one were exactly what the others had been trying to get him to agree to in the beginning. I guess it was just supposed to sound better coming out of his mouth.

Also, who the actual hell took over the writers room and stripped all the female characters of their power. It's almost as if Ryan Murphy walked in and took a giant dump on everything even remotely representing female power. I appreciate a strong female character or at the very least a show that presents the idea that women can think about things other than men and are perfectly capable of making decisions on their own. Almost this entire season has been like an episode of I Love Lucy it is so dated in this respect. It just doesn't feel like Shonda is writing these characters anymore (or am I giving her too much credit?).

I just didn't like this episode very much and there was far too much Jo.

Machuran

Machuran

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2013 @ 9:26 PM

Callie needs to just die, what an insufferable bitch to Avery this entire episode.

IA, who was she to act so entitled? Her plan almost cost the hospital, the Avery Foundation is the only reason why it's still open.

I'm just hoping this hospital storylines is done for once and for all.

So basically all of Jackson's suggestions except for the last one were exactly what the others had been trying to get him to agree to in the beginning. I guess it was just supposed to sound better coming out of his mouth.

All he did was basically carry out their suggestions after having them whine and moan about it.

Edited by Machuran, Mar 14, 2013 @ 9:28 PM.

Charis86

Charis86

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 14, 2013 @ 9:30 PM

lovlylizzy it feels like she isn't writting these characters anymore because she isn't. She hasn't written an episode in 2 seasons (actually I think the last episode she wrote was 7x20).

Bleeding Love

Bleeding Love

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 14, 2013 @ 9:31 PM

All of them were rude as shit to Jackson for pretty much the entire episode. He didn't want to be put in charge, it wasn't like he asked for this job. Don't take it out on him, and yes, I am mainly looking at you, Callie. The five ended up having the last word when the scene ended, but I loved Jackson saying that they didn't have to sue the hospial into bankruptcy.

harkiv

harkiv

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 14, 2013 @ 9:31 PM

I can't stand Jackson. Bad episode.

lovlylizzy

lovlylizzy

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 14, 2013 @ 9:36 PM

Baily, Derek, and Owen were all far more abrasive than Callie was. All she did was crack jokes at Jackson's expense and honestly she wasn't far from the truth. In a real situation I probably would have said the same thing behind his back at least she said it to his face. He started out dictating his mother's orders and not having a voice of his own, no one would respect a boss like that; been there. The whole point was to show that he finally found his own voice at the end and they all respected him for it.

KnittingOwl

KnittingOwl

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 14, 2013 @ 9:37 PM

The domino heart transplant story really bothered me. Heart/lung transplants aren't the standard treatment for Pulmonary Hypertension patients getting transplants. If lungs are transplanted, the heart will repair itself.

catherinedebarra

catherinedebarra

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 14, 2013 @ 9:39 PM

Personally, I loved Meredith FINALLY giving someone a smackdown by mentioning Lexie after they were blamed for the umpteenth time for doing what anybody in that situation would have down. As it is, I'm amazed that they were able to tolerate the utter gall of people acting like they were money hungry vultures for seeking compensation for the accident that cost them so much, including people they loved.

HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 14, 2013 @ 9:39 PM

She hasn't written an episode in 2 seasons (actually I think the last episode she wrote was 7x20).

She wrote 8x24

I can't stand Jackson. Bad episode

Yep, that's exactly how I felt after this episode. I use to kind of like Jackson but now I can't stand him. He's the one that has become insufferable this season.

lovlylizzy

lovlylizzy

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 14, 2013 @ 9:43 PM

lovlylizzy it feels like she isn't writting these characters anymore because she isn't. She hasn't written an episode in 2 seasons (actually I think the last episode she wrote was 7x20).

I see, this explains a lot. I grow closer and closer to walking away from this show every day. Been watching since I was a senior in high school, but that was a long time ago and Grey's isn't that show anymore. I was fine with it when I thought the only dated relationship or characters were Owen and Cristina because I thought it provided a good balance. But now it's literally every female in every episode. I can not handle that.

Yellow42758

Yellow42758

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 14, 2013 @ 9:52 PM

No need to make comparisons between I LOVE LUCY and GREY'S ANATOMY. One is brilliant, the other is not.

This episode was fine. Nothing too horribly annoying. It was as expected. Except the last scene was cringeworthy.

Just my initial reaction. Maybe more thoughts upon reflection...

Edited by Yellow42758, Mar 14, 2013 @ 9:53 PM.

Billsby

Billsby

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 14, 2013 @ 9:56 PM

The way these people act is just atrocious. Of course they don't have to like the situation,but the level of disrespect should have been called out. Jackson is in a damn if he do,damn if he don't,with some viewers so no matter what he does it's not going to be liked,but at the end he should have confronted them about their behavior. I really don't see what Jackson did that deserves such ire from the group. He could have turned them down,had Catherine rescind her offer and shut the hospital down,but lord knows what they would have thought about him then.

NYluv

NYluv

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2013 @ 9:58 PM

This episode was full of sass and chaos. The sass cracked me up, the chaos was frustrating, but in the end it was the transitional episode. The new "leaders" were dealing with the multitude of changes in their new situation and the things they did and did not expect... maybe it wasn't pretty or professional (no one is ever really professional at this hospital), but at least they got it all out in one episode. I'm sure everything's not going to be speedbump-free from here on out, but (at least I'm hoping) the show can now move on from the crash/law suit/ownership drama.
Props to Jackson for his speech at the end and embracing this as THEIR thing, not the Harper Avery Foundation's. And I love the name change - it's respectable and suitable and, though I'll miss Seattle Grace, I was never ever fond of Seattle Grace Mercy West.

emotional note: Derek saying he's pissed at Mark, followed by being teary-eyed and only able to nod and hum when agreeing to the name change. I do miss their bromance.

Edited by NYluv, Mar 14, 2013 @ 10:51 PM.

AnitaMC86

AnitaMC86

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 14, 2013 @ 10:42 PM

It was meh. The promo was a lot better.

I thought I'd ended up hating Jackson but as it turns out, I didn't. It really wasn't his fault, it was Catherine, so have Callie snark at him for something that he didn't ask for...I felt bad for him but glad the whole thing didn't end up as "I'm your boss, suck it up bitches". If this can be kept, I think I will be fine with this arraignment.

Although Catherine...ugh. Running a hospital isn't like college where you learn. How the hell did Catherine managed to be chair of the Harper Avery Foundation with this line of thinking is beyond me.

My bromance heart beat again when Derek said he was angry at Mark. 16 episodes later but I'll take it. Still though...he's angry. Would like at least another Mark mention. I miss them.

I'm so over Cristina. This whole "We need to tell Owen! This place needs Owen! You need to get over Owen!" is so ridiculous. It's stupid. Also, way to be comforting "You need to get over that." Whatever, that's why you don't have friends.

Other than that...still don't like Jo, but we already got the "he's into her", so maybe it's a done deal by now.

Machuran

Machuran

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2013 @ 10:47 PM

It explains a lot since she just doesn't seem to care anymore.

I thought I'd ended up hating Jackson but as it turns out, I didn't. It really wasn't his fault, it was Catherine, so have Callie snark at him for something that he didn't ask for...I felt bad for him but glad the whole thing didn't end up as "I'm your boss, suck it up bitches". If this can be kept, I think I will be fine with this arraignment.

Although Catherine...ugh. Running a hospital isn't like college where you learn. How the hell did Catherine managed to be chair of the Harper Avery Foundation with this line of thinking is beyond me.

She's just plain annoying and the characters being bitter and immature about the situation doesn't help. There was a reason why buyers turned them down, you shouldn't have a clueless, inexperienced person running the place, it'll be chaotic.

I'm so over Cristina. This whole "We need to tell Owen! This place needs Owen! You need to get over Owen!" is so ridiculous. It's stupid. Also, way to be comforting "You need to get over that." Whatever, that's why you don't have friends.

Other than that...still don't like Jo, but we already got the "he's into her", so maybe it's a done deal by now.

They're ruining Christina, now she's so clingy to Owen. As for Jo, the writers continue to force her down our throats, now with a pointless, unnecessary love triangle with some nobody.

Edited by Machuran, Mar 14, 2013 @ 10:55 PM.

tiniwit

tiniwit

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 14, 2013 @ 11:09 PM

Why on earth was the hospital following Pegasus' policies when Pegasus never purchased the hospital?

Head scratchers like these really undermine my ability to enjoy the never ending lawsuit storyline.

Machuran

Machuran

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2013 @ 11:31 PM

Why on earth was the hospital following Pegasus' policies when Pegasus never purchased the hospital?

Head scratchers like these really undermine my ability to enjoy the never ending lawsuit storyline.

It makes no sense, just like Catherine throwing Jackson into the position so he'll suddenly be good at it.

WindSprints

WindSprints

Stalker

Posted Mar 14, 2013 @ 11:48 PM

I was expecting to hate the episode but it was much better than I thought. The storyline with April and the patient was one of the better patient storylines recently. I also liked Derek mentioning Mark and some other small touches throughout.

The way these people act is just atrocious. Of course they don't have to like the situation,but the level of disrespect should have been called out. Jackson is in a damn if he do,damn if he don't,with some viewers so no matter what he does it's not going to be liked,but at the end he should have confronted them about their behavior. I really don't see what Jackson did that deserves such ire from the group. He could have turned them down,had Catherine rescind her offer and shut the hospital down,but lord knows what they would have thought about him then.

Agree. They looked ridiculous in the beginning. They accepted the money knowing there was the condition of the foundation being represented on the board via Jackson and the weight that would carry. If they didn't want to live with that condition then they shouldn't have accepted the money. They were whiny and entitled and it left me rooting (perhaps for the first time ever) for Jackson instead. I thought Jackson handled things well in comparison and even though he was in over his head he found a way to deal with it all in the end, in a way that worked for all.

I think its all the policies Cahill put in place when she was preparing for the hospital to be sold to Pegasus.

the never ending lawsuit storyline

I hope at least the bickering, blaming, etc. is done now. They've shown the transition and now the hospital is under the new management with the new name. Let's move along now!

Nanda

Nanda

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 15, 2013 @ 5:38 AM

This episode only came to show that those who say SR doesn't care anymore, were right. What a boring episode. Transition? Fine, but how much more 'transition' episodes? The worst season on record.

I honestly couldn't believe that imbecile of the McCheater had a meltdown in an incredible, incredible difficult day, full of transplants, like that!!! The man is increasingly unbearable to watch. Always things don't go his way he throws a tantrum. He simply doesn't care whom he hurts in the road. It's his way or highway. What a brash idiot. I was used to see him use and abuse of that resource with Cristina, but now at the hospital?! He doesn't deserve to be Chief. Doesn't have the profile even he's thirsty for powerful positions.

Speaking of Cristina, she's equally responsibly for what happened today. After he cheated on her she seems a puppy running after the master. Well Owen, whenever she forgets the lesson you gave her and start having independent ideas or doesn't give in what you want, cheat on her again to put her in line, She'll end being very obedient. Seems to have a payoff. She seems that kind of little wifey that is willing to endure and do anything for a man, out of fear of being alone. Even a crappy one. What a pussy she turned out to be. Where is Cristina? Return her immediately the one who has her! That guy ruined Cris. I don't see any growing, in fact this is regression. After all he did to her since S6 he should be in line not her.

Also, who the actual hell took over the writers room and stripped all the female characters of their power.

Thank you, thank you lovlylizzy for saying this. I thought no one else noticed how sexist and misogynist this show is. It is simply shameful. Don't the writers notice or simply don't care about what they write? It's a question I make for myself for long.
Thank god that we had a male(Jackson) to decide while the females were shut down and made stupid figures.
Thank god that we had two males (Derek and Webber) to sit in the two only left seats in the chopper of the potential investor some while ago. If there was only one male available, probably one of the seats would remain empty, I guess.
Thank god that they didn't put the McCheater being seen having sex with another woman that was not his wife with his wed band in his finger but it was OK all of us actually see Cristina doing it with another man after she ended everything with him, to emphasize her 'mistake' and mitigate his.
Thank god that Cris learned well her lesson and seems Owen's shadow and not the other way around, if one of them must be submissive should be her!
and so on...

Edited by Nanda, Mar 15, 2013 @ 10:53 AM.

Jessie monster

Jessie monster

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 15, 2013 @ 7:08 AM

The whole scene where Catherine tells Richard about Jackson's dad's abandonment of Jackson and her. (Retcon?)

Nope, I'm pretty sure Catherine alluded to Jackson's dad cracking under the pressure a few seasons ago.

This is a hospital full of brats. They all acted like Jackson peed in their pools. I liked that he got to assert his authority without going overboard.
How refreshing is it that April was able to actually see something from another persons view point? I feel like that doesn't happen very often on this show.

Can we take a second to acknowledge and appreciate the fine piece of ass that is Dialysis Boyfriend? (OB Guy isn't too hard on the eyes either.)

julie723

julie723

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 15, 2013 @ 8:38 AM

When this episode started with everything so out of control, I was thinking "NO! Not more fall-out from the damn hospital buy-out!". But, in the end, it seemed like (I sure hope) that it was a one-episode transition to a much better place at Grey-Sloan Memorial Hospital. THe scene at the end had me all teary, and that has not happend for a very long time with this show. Catherine can please just go away. I can't believe Richard still wants to date her. She is a contolling bitch that thinks because she has money,she can just tell everyone what to do, even if it makes no sense. And her calling Jackson "baby" and "sweety" in front of the board will not exactly instill confidence.

I saw too much Jo, and waaay too much Alex mooning over Jo. UGH! Hate them as a couple. I like her with her the current OB guy. He's cute, and they are cute together.

I agree with everyone that wonders what happened to Cristina? I don't get her loyalty or what ever it is to Owen. He cheated on you, divorced you, and now you run after him like a lost puppy? What the? I was actually happy Owen quit, because I thought maybe he would be gone for good, but they had to bring him back to brow-beat more people and be an ass.

Chicken Wing

Chicken Wing

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2013 @ 8:51 AM

I don't see how or why we're supposed to believe Jackson is capable of being on a board, nor do I understand what Catherine hopes to accomplish by placing him there and blindly believing that he will grow into the position. That's silly. There's no other word to describe this other than "silly." Catherine's kind of annoying.

I do love how people are just straight-out calling the survivors out for placing them into this situation in the first place by suing the hospital into bankruptcy. Sorry, but it's true. Even though Derek finally admits that his misplaced anger is really at Mark for dying and abandoning him, he was still being ridiculous all this time passive aggressively blaming Owen for signing off on the airline as the hospital's medvac of choice. That is illogical. Owen was merely a piece of the chain of events. You might as well blame the person who founded the airline for allowing the company to exist in the first place. You might as well blame the patient in Idaho who they were going to see for causing them to have to board the plane in the first place. Owen simply signed the paperwork hiring the airline; he did not know that anything bad would happen to anyone or anything by that action. Derek and the rest, however, deliberately and willfully sued the hospital. They did not want the hospital to go broke and shut down, to be sure, but they knew that someone, some entity, was going to bear the brunt of that action. They knew something bad would happen to someone. So, shut it, Derek. And also, shut it, Meredith. I'm sorry, but the hospital didn't deserve to go bankrupt because Lexie died as the result of a third party's actual culpability. I hate these people.

Not sure I'm loving the new hospital name. It just doesn't flow. Sounds weird to the ear.

The dying donor guy's story made me cry, and I teared up a little when his mother refused to let go of him after he finally died. How horribly awkward and heartbreaking for April to have to pry the grieving woman off her son's body after she's had all of 10 seconds to hold and cry over him. Very uncomfortable.

Can Alex and Jo just boink in the on-call room already? They are seriously getting on my nerves.

You know who's not getting on my nerves? Bailey's new kick-ass ponytail.

Can Cristina please, dear god, climb out of Owen's ass? When did she become such a simpering idiot over a boy? "I have to tell Owen! You can't do this to Owen? Of course I have to tell Owen." Oh, Lord, shut up. It's seriously nauseating at this point.

betha

betha

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 15, 2013 @ 9:06 AM

What happened to Richard being on the board? Didn't he contribute $3 million and weren't they going to use his administrative experience? Or was that cancelled when Harper Avery Foundation bought the hospital instead?

Not sure I'm loving the new hospital name. It just doesn't flow. Sounds weird to the ear.

I agree. I thought Sloan Grey Memorial Hospital might have sounded better than Grey Sloan, but probably that's because of Sloan-Kettering. I guess we will get used to it. I was worried it would be something like "Lexmark," so I guess Grey Sloan is better than that.

Edited by betha, Mar 15, 2013 @ 9:09 AM.

Chicken Wing

Chicken Wing

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2013 @ 9:39 AM

I was worried it would be something like "Lexmark,"

Ha! Lexmark Memorial Hospital -- specializing in patient care and printer solutions.

zenyatta

zenyatta

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 15, 2013 @ 9:51 AM

This is a hospital full of brats. They all acted like Jackson peed in their pools. I liked that he got to assert his authority without going overboard.

Completely agree. They were insufferable. They've been nasty to everyone outside their little group all season. The new owners should consider allowing Meredith not to teach since its abundently clear she hates doing so since she's always a bitch to the interns.

I do love how people are just straight-out calling the survivors out for placing them into this situation in the first place by suing the hospital into bankruptcy. Sorry, but it's true. Even though Derek finally admits that his misplaced anger is really at Mark for dying and abandoning him, he was still being ridiculous all this time passive aggressively blaming Owen for signing off on the airline as the hospital's medvac of choice. That is illogical. Owen was merely a piece of the chain of events. You might as well blame the person who founded the airline for allowing the company to exist in the first place. You might as well blame the patient in Idaho who they were going to see for causing them to have to board the plane in the first place. Owen simply signed the paperwork hiring the airline; he did not know that anything bad would happen to anyone or anything by that action. Derek and the rest, however, deliberately and willfully sued the hospital. They did not want the hospital to go broke and shut down, to be sure, but they knew that someone, some entity, was going to bear the brunt of that action. They knew something bad would happen to someone. So, shut it, Derek. And also, shut it, Meredith. I'm sorry, but the hospital didn't deserve to go bankrupt because Lexie died as the result of a third party's actual culpability. I hate these people.

Sing it! It doesn't matter though as they will always be painted as right because Meredith is a Mary Sue and always right. Her bitching at Alex showed it again. If she were Alex's friend and understands him as well as she claims then she would have talked to him, not screeched at him after Jo explained what he was feeling. Of course she screeched at Jo in the process too.

WTF have they done to Cristina? Running and pining after Owen like that is sickening. It reminds me of Meredith pining and sniffing after Derek in season 2.

Didn't he contribute $3 million and weren't they going to use his administrative experience?

I don't think they took his money and they dropped him after the billionaire dropped them. They were using him to get the billionaire to fund them.

I never thought I would ever say this but April's was my favorite storyline of the night. They've done, they've figured out a way to make April more likable. They make all the others annoying as all hell.

Edited by zenyatta, Mar 15, 2013 @ 9:52 AM.

NYluv

NYluv

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2013 @ 11:00 AM

What happened to Richard being on the board? Didn't he contribute $3 million and weren't they going to use his administrative experience? Or was that cancelled when Harper Avery Foundation bought the hospital instead?

When Richard offered his money, Mer said they didn't need his money but his experience (to help sway the business mogul).