12-19: "Top 10 Results" 2013.03.14

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

114 replies to this topic

hatchlynn

hatchlynn

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 16, 2013 @ 5:39 PM

For me, the stylists or whomever chose looks this week robbed Burnell of his personality.
I liked the glasses and backwards baseball cap far more than I did the "grown up" makeover look.
But then I love his hand singing, too.

DT3

DT3

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2013 @ 10:10 AM

So I do not understand why any male singer would perform any song that could potentially offend the prime voting category. Young white america, and cougar america. That is the biggest voting block to gain votes from.

Or maybe the WGWGs of the last 5 seasons simply had the broadest appeal, not based on the voters' estrogen level or race or age? It's hard to say Scotty won on the 'pretend boyfriend' vote. Or Kris, who was married.

I wonder where the tween and cougar voting blocs were when Rueben, Fantasia, Carrie, Taylor, Kelly and Jordin won?

It makes more sense to say maybe the south picks the winners. 9 of 11 winners were from the south.

cubbie5150

cubbie5150

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 17, 2013 @ 11:35 AM

Lazaro was #4?!?! I doubt he can win, but he obviously gets all the sympathy votes, so will knock off other contestants who are arguably more deserving, singing-ability-wise, that is. I just don't see him as anything but a pleasant young dude w/ a decent voice...+ a speech impediment. There's nothing that's "now" or "current" about him, and he isn't a transcendent talent nor engaging personality. YMMV of course.

At this point, the only horse I have in the race is Kree. I had hopes for Devin, but his style isn't engaging enough for a show like AI. Unless one of the other guys severely crashes & burns during the top 9 show, Devin will be packing his bags, unfortunately.

Habeas Corpus

Habeas Corpus

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 17, 2013 @ 3:56 PM

I wonder where the tween and cougar voting blocs were when Rueben, Fantasia, Carrie, Taylor, Kelly and Jordin won?

White tween and cougar voting blocks, most likely.

My guess is that they were there all the time but they weren't dominating the voting audience yet.

peggy06

peggy06

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 17, 2013 @ 6:11 PM

White tween and cougar voting blocks, most likely.

My guess is that they were there all the time but they weren't dominating the voting audience yet.

Right, I think the voting blocs were a product of later seasons. The show is a victim of its own eagerness to tout the BIGGEST NUMBER OF VOTES EVAH!

Looking at this episode, I just don't see a dominating contestant who can mobilize a huge fanbase. I think Lazaro comes closest, because his performance was weak (singing the signature song of a popular winner), and yet he came in right behind some actual good singers. He has the TV boyfriend and woobie things going on, both of which seem calculated to appeal to the voting blocs suggested upthread.

Edited by peggy06, Mar 17, 2013 @ 6:14 PM.

DT3

DT3

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2013 @ 7:52 PM

America hasn't gotten more white, tween, cougar or female in the last 5 years. I don't understand why that 'block' would suddenly rise up and vote more, and not for all the singing competition shows, just AI.

ari333

ari333

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2013 @ 8:00 PM

Not surprised that they didn't use their precious "save" on Curtis.

I don't buy the save, BTW. I know they save the beloved ones, (supposedly beloved Sanchez last season; but I wasn't, fillin' her, at all. AT.ALL.)

This is rude of me to say, but what the hell is going on with Minaj's ASS?

Edited by ari333, Mar 17, 2013 @ 8:02 PM.

angelita100

angelita100

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2013 @ 8:27 PM

Maybe it has something to do with the voting technology? When Idol started all you could do is call. It's monotonous but everybody had a phone and redial. Then there was texting, facebook,and now the AI ap. Hopefully the ap will even the playing field.

I think the contestants have something to do with it as well. There are other shows where minority contestants have had more of a presence and a range of styles. AI is just not too good on that front.

oxfordcomma

oxfordcomma

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 17, 2013 @ 10:17 PM

Idol has always been my guilty pleasure, but I'm finding this season unbearable so far. I mean, how about picking songs that are: a) from this century AND b) don't make me feel like I'm in an elevator, at the dentist's office, or listening to a bad wedding band? That would be a nice start . . .

Theodora69

Theodora69

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 17, 2013 @ 10:34 PM

Listening to Phil Phillips was excruciating! He has no voice and no range. How he won is beyond me.

stevensimages

stevensimages

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 17, 2013 @ 10:39 PM

I think the introduction of the 50 votes split up any way you want to via the new app (which I am getting tired of hearing the plugs for) are going to make a huge difference in handicapping this horserace.
I'm sure a lot of people are like me because it is so easy to divvy up your votes piecemeal. I throw a majority of my votes to whoever I really want to win and divvy the rest up in increments of 5 or 10 to others I consider deserving. And while I have my faves (Kree and actually, Devin, this year) a great performance (like Candace's UHmazing vocals this week) can cause me to toss some extra votes their way.
Anyway, this whole thing makes it much more difficult to predict voting blocks, tween, cougar or otherwise.

BTW, Curtis had great pipes, but an annoying and noncommercial style and personality, so he needed to go. Please, can folks wake up and stop voting for Lazaro? Nice guy, etc, but he's just not that good. I wonder if the judges really hear something we don't or are just in the producers' pockets.

caminlaca

caminlaca

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2013 @ 11:12 PM

Listening to Phil Phillips was excruciating! He has no voice and no range. How he won is beyond me.

Word! The moment he opened his mouth I knew exactly what he'd sound like...all his previous songs, performances. Same demeanor, same tempo, same melody, just changes some of the lyrics. He also has a flat affect in his personality which is unappealing. During his season, with talk of his kidney issues, I tried to chalk it up to not feeling well, soldiering through his songs. That's no longer at issue but he comes across the same.

oldjoanna

oldjoanna

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 17, 2013 @ 11:42 PM

Idol has always been my guilty pleasure, but I'm finding this season unbearable so far. I mean, how about picking songs that are: a) from this century AND b) don't make me feel like I'm in an elevator, at the dentist's office, or listening to a bad wedding band? That would be a nice start . . .

Agreed! I'm a middle-aged mom. I'm not a cougar, I could care less how cute either the guys or girls look. I love when someone takes a song and sings a version that makes me rush to buy it on iTunes. I downloaded one song from last season. PP singing Volcano, because I didn't know it and loved the version with the very helpful backup singer. Although critical of the favorite idol song choices, really what are these contestants supposed to do? They have to pick an idol song that was already a great remake of a tired old song, and then try to do an even greater remake? Wasn't it obvious that the clips they played of the original idols almost all sounded better than this lot?

Nigel has often stated that there will be almost no change in the song choices, and, because it compares so unfavourably with the more current singing shows, I think that, more than the format, the judges, the sob stories or anything else, will spell the end for this show.

Good luck top nine. I wonder who won the fight for 'let it be' or 'the long and winding road'? Maybe someone will 'connect' with Elinor Rigby because they're lonely and their life sucks...

LennieB

LennieB

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2013 @ 7:38 AM

how about picking songs that are: a) from this century AND b) don't make me feel like I'm in an elevator, at the dentist's office, or listening to a bad wedding band? That would be a nice start . . .

I believe I've heard Gaga, Mars, Beyonce, Rihanna, and....an entire episode based on this century's American Idol.

There are other shows where minority contestants have had more of a presence and a range of styles. AI is just not too good on that front.

I think this Top 10 proves otherwise.

I haven't paid close enough attention: I didn't realize that FOUR of the Top 10 are re-treads from past AI auditions. So really, only 6 spots were open to total newbies. And Angela seems to have been chosen (IMO) as a YouTube phenom, so that left five slots.

Edited by LennieB, Mar 18, 2013 @ 7:56 AM.

TWoP Tennison

TWoP Tennison

Fanatic

• Interests:Moderating

Posted Mar 18, 2013 @ 9:28 AM

Get it back on topic, everyone.

Discussions of voting trends over the last few years and how/if Idol needs to change? Do not belong in the episode thread.

fjfe

fjfe

Just Tuned In

• Interests:I have a passion for jewelry, watches, design so ended up creating my own jewelry through the online jewelry store FashionJewelryForEveryone.com

Have been fortunate to expand my business and sell non-handcrafted jewelry, accessories, gifts through my online store http://www.fashionjewelryforeveryone.com

Posted Mar 18, 2013 @ 11:08 AM

I am not a Curtis fan either.

BTW, I am new here ... SO HI to everyone!

Miss Crabtree

Miss Crabtree

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2013 @ 1:30 PM

Many days later, it dawned on me why they had the mayor of Kree's hometown onstage. Because she doesn't have a mother or father to root her on.

That said, I would have liked to see the mayor and Candice's dad arm-wrestle. It would have not seemed at all bizarre in that very random results show.

Ambernet

Ambernet

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 18, 2013 @ 2:59 PM

I had hopes for Devin, but his style isn't engaging enough for a show like AI. Unless one of the other guys severely crashes & burns during the top 9 show, Devin will be packing his bags, unfortunately.

I had high hopes for him too, but he can't pick the right songs for him to save his life. I appreciate that he doesn't oversing, I really do, but I find his performing style too bland. I'm afraid he's toast this week.

angelita100

angelita100

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2013 @ 8:09 PM

Yes this top 10 is diverse. But they've practically gone overboard to do so rather than just pick the best each and every year. Candice was cut last year when she is arguably better than every single woman on the show last year. So eh, props for season 2, this season and maybe a couple of other seasons here and there but I won't say this year proves my statement wrong.

Lokomotor

Lokomotor

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 19, 2013 @ 3:21 AM

Miss Crabtree :

Many days later, it dawned on me why they had the mayor of Kree's hometown onstage. Because she doesn't have a mother or father to root her on.

That is pretty sad. Kudos to Kree for not using this fact to garner sympathy votes.

MrSarahWalker

MrSarahWalker

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2013 @ 11:03 AM

Yes this top 10 is diverse. But they've practically gone overboard to do so rather than just pick the best each and every year. Candice was cut last year when she is arguably better than every single woman on the show last year. So eh, props for season 2, this season and maybe a couple of other seasons here and there but I won't say this year proves my statement wrong.

I see what your saying and I think Candice deserved to make it last year. But last season was pretty strong in female talent. Jessica and Skylar were both terrific. And while I wasn't much of a fan of Hollie, she does have a ton of vocal horsepower.

BogoGog24

BogoGog24

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 19, 2013 @ 4:38 PM

I don't see this Top 10 being that diverse at all- only 3-4 genres are being represented: country, R&B, Christian/singer songwriter pop, and Latin pop (if that can even really count). There's no rock at all, which I think they could use in the midst of all these boring ballads. This is one of the least diverse Top 10 in the past few seasons.

angelita100

angelita100

Fanatic

Posted Mar 20, 2013 @ 8:45 AM

Yes there are supposedly 3 country singers but for me they are not the same at all. I'm not even a country fan per se but I'm not lumping these 3 into one same box.

Sparkling Beth

Sparkling Beth

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 20, 2013 @ 9:34 AM

I'm not sure I would have pegged Kree as country if they hadn't told me. Same with Paul. Janelle is the only one of those three who is clearly country to me.

BogoGog24

BogoGog24

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 20, 2013 @ 11:56 AM

I don't buy Paul being country either, I think Jimmy is right in saying that he is basically just pop. But he keeps singing country songs and is trying to convince everyone he is country so...