Twisted: PLL with Werewolf Hair

• Please log in to reply

2092 replies to this topic

rubyred

rubyred

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 13, 2013 @ 11:25 AM

We're only 5 episodes in, hopefully after some of the romantic tension dust settles we'll get back to the core mysteries. I still think there is so much potential in the sociopath angle, that's the thing I would hate to go.

I've been reading a lot of commentary online but this really stuck out for me (sorry I can't cite source because I can't remember where I read it):

Jo: Danny Danny Danny Danny Danny Danny Danny Danny Danny Danny Danny Danny Danny Danny Danny Danny

Danny: Lacey Lacey Lacey Lacey Lacey Lacey Lacey Lacey Lacey Lacey Lacey Lacey Lacey Lacey Lacey Lacey

Lacey: My friend just died you assholes.

It made me laugh but also it's true, although the problem IMO is that we don't share Lacey's investment in Regina. So her decisions seem so flimsy. She's already worried what she'll find out, the money and note are not good signs but she can't even say out loud what she fears. But I figure, whatever, there are always going to some plot contrivances and some will seem more plausible than others. To me, any show in which teens think they can investigate anything better than adults is bound to have a lot of them. It's just part of the package, along with Obtuse Adults, Uncompromising Authority Figures and Colorful Red Herrings.

eta: sorry still having formatting issues

Edited by rubyred, Jul 13, 2013 @ 11:29 AM.

dirtypop90

dirtypop90

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 13, 2013 @ 11:25 AM

It's on abc family of course it's a high school teen drama with some mystery thrown in. I can't believe people were blindsided by the love triangle on this show on this network.  PLL was the exception and  it's probably because the leads were four girls not 2 girls and 1 boy. 

Edited by dirtypop90, Jul 13, 2013 @ 11:29 AM.

Machuran

Machuran

Fanatic

Posted Jul 13, 2013 @ 11:29 AM

Jo: Danny Danny Danny Danny Danny Danny Danny Danny Danny Danny Danny Danny Danny Danny Danny Danny

Danny: Lacey Lacey Lacey Lacey Lacey Lacey Lacey Lacey Lacey Lacey Lacey Lacey Lacey Lacey Lacey Lacey

Lacey: My friend just died you assholes.

Pretty much.  XD.

Viva Elijah

Viva Elijah

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 13, 2013 @ 12:23 PM

It's on abc family of course it's a high school teen drama with some mystery thrown in. I can't believe people were blindsided by the love triangle on this show on this network.  PLL was the exception and  it's probably because the leads were four girls not 2 girls and 1 boy. 

Lol. I don't think any one is blindsided. I and probably others were just hoping that more shows including this one would rise to the occasion and potentially avoid that trope. While it can be argued that it's not a triangle because Danny hasn't shown romantic feelings for Jo which I agree with, Jo having feelings for Danny is not unrealistic but just isn't necessary for drama in the context of this story in my opinion. As dancingonmyown and Manchuran have already mentioned, I too am more interested in the mystery and the rebuilding of friendship among the three and PLL has shown that mystery and strong friendship can maintain an audience when it's the primary story.

Edited by Viva Elijah, Jul 13, 2013 @ 12:26 PM.

dancingonmyown

dancingonmyown

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 13, 2013 @ 12:30 PM

It's on abc family of course it's a high school teen drama with some mystery thrown in. I can't believe people were blindsided by the love triangle on this show on this network. 

For the record, I wasn't "blindsided" by the triangle because as I noted before, when I saw the promo pictures and early promos of the show, that was my fear and reason for hesitation in watching the show. I immediately dismissed it as "oh great some high school love triangle drama - yeah I'll pass, I get enough of that crap on Vampire Diaries".

However it was after reading the network and show runners description of the show and interviews that I considered giving it a chance and even then, I never believed there would be no romance. My issue is that I thought the romance would be secondary to the mystery since according to the show runners and network synopsis this was supposed to be dark, twisted psychodrama and study of a possible sociopath. However, so far the mystery has taken a back-seat to the teenage drama of romance, bitchy popular girls pulling bitchy stunts, etc. That is where I'm having a hard time connecting and enjoying the show because as I've listed and stated before, there are SO many things, SO many ways the writers could be developing this mystery and better selling this story.

Instead so far it's just been a lukewarm mystery at best and some ridiculous romance/romantic tensions with a whole bunch of this girl vs that girl factions developing and now it's become the white girl vs the black girl and I'm left feeling like all I wanted was a really cool teenage murder mystery and character study on this guy who may or may not be a nut. Well, I guess I can always just wait for Bates Motel to come back even though we all know the answer about whether or not Norman's a wackjob. 

Edited by dancingonmyown, Jul 13, 2013 @ 12:31 PM.

Brandy77

Brandy77

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 13, 2013 @ 12:33 PM

I won't call Lacey's portrayal near - perfect. If anything, her kissing Danny last episode and showing him the blackmail letter have shown that she can make stupid mistakes but ymmv.

As you've pointed out, Lacey is far from near perfection.  She's cheating on her boyfriend, is entirely too concerned about her carefully crafted social image, & despite not wanting to tarnish Regina's memory her not going to Chief Masterson with the letter & money is complete idiocy.

I watch the show if there cues about Danny/lo then I will say so and so far I see none having a crush on someone who wants another is not a romance. I frankly I'm not convinced Jo even has a romantic crush on Danny.

Yep!  I'm right there with you.  I honestly didn't see any indications prior to this past episode that Jo was crushing on Danny, but now that it's been hammered into submission following Fall Fest, I think her feelings of gratitude that Danny's back in her life & her reemerging desire to engage in more social activities are manifesting into what she perceives to be a crush.

demifarro

demifarro

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 13, 2013 @ 2:23 PM

Not discounting the racist stuff but I really doubt that the showrunners are going to cater to some idiotic kids spewing hate stuff online or that because the show is on Disney owned ABC Family, there is no way the white girl is going to lose the guy to the black girl. I just don't buy that.

I agree. I don't think Disney/ABC have any apprehension about letting the white girl lose to the black girl. I'm also not naive enough to believe that race is a non-factor in this day and age, but Disney/ABC and particularly ABC Family have been great about featuring interracial couples and shown much love to the LGBT community, as well. IMO, it says a lot that the black girl is even a viable romantic option and "winning" at this point, as Danny only seems to have feelings for Lacey. That's something I've never seen on a mostly white teen soap, and I think if Disney or ABC was that hung up on race, the story wouldn't even have got this far to begin with. 10 or even 5 years ago, the biggest role a black girl could hope for was something like the sassy best friend and sounding board to her white friend's problems. I'm thinking Lacey was never intended to be black in the first place and they just went ahead and cast the best actress for the role, and I love that. Just going off my basic understanding and perception of how these stories usually work, I can see Jo getting Danny at some point or another, but I think if that happens, it'll have nothing to do with race or them wanting the white girl to win.

dirtypop90

dirtypop90

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 13, 2013 @ 2:56 PM

My issue is that I thought the romance would be secondary to the mystery since according to the show runners and network synopsis this was supposed to be dark, twisted psychodrama and study of a possible sociopath.

you thought you were going to get a dark, twisted psychodrama and study of a possible sociopath on abc family ? maybe I just watch too many of their shows but I knew that was not going to happen. I'm 100 % positive Danny is just misunderstood, didn't kill regina and either didn't kill his aunt or had a good reason. Maybe if this was on abc we would get what you described. 

doram

doram

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 13, 2013 @ 2:59 PM

While there have been criticisms about the show being sidetracked by the romance, I wonder if the empirical evidence really backs that up. The lead up to the Big Kiss in the last episode were a handful of meaningful looks between Danny and Lacey, and some posturing between Archie and Danny that had as much to do with Lacey as it had to do with the fact that Danny is a killer and the prime suspect for Regina's murder. Jo's issues with Lacey already existed before Danny even appeared in the Pilot.  Last episode had no Danny/Lacey interaction at all.  In the episode itself, Lacey, the girl in question, spent most of it trying to solve the mystery of Regina's necklace. Even Jo's story had as much to do with her own romantic aspirations as it had to do with showing that Danny is still very much the town pariah. Compared to other teen shows like Gossip Girl, Vampire Diaries, Jane by Design, Lying Game, etc. I don't get the impression that the romance dominates the story in Twisted. I think there is a lot of viewer discussion about the romance... which is fair enough, most viewers like romance. 

While the mystery hasn't moved forward at lightspeed, the big romantic episode actually gave us a lot of new information - Regina's blackmailing side job. I think it's possible that the point we're missing is that the real mystery is not so much who killed Regina... but if Danny killed her or not. 

Edited by doram, Jul 13, 2013 @ 3:03 PM.

Brandy77

Brandy77

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 13, 2013 @ 3:17 PM

My issue is that I thought the romance would be secondary to the mystery since according to the show runners and network synopsis this was supposed to be dark, twisted psychodrama and study of a possible sociopath. However, so far the mystery has taken a back-seat to the teenage drama of romance, bitchy popular girls pulling bitchy stunts, etc. That is where I'm having a hard time connecting and enjoying the show because as I've listed and stated before, there are SO many things, SO many ways the writers could be developing this mystery and better selling this story.

Fair enough.  I think it's perfectly fine to want there to be less emphasis on the romantic angle of the show & more of an emphasis on the cultural exploration of sociopathy at this early juncture of the series.  However, judging from various interviews of the showrunners & actors I do think what drew you & others who share your opinion to the show will come to pass in the upcoming episodes.  I think factions of fandoms often get tunnel vision when it comes to conversing about the shows; I've found that the romantic relationships of a show dominate the topic of conversation & can lead to people who may not be as invested in that part of the show to feel a bit excluded or put off (not saying this applies to you, it's just an observation). 

While I enjoy the Danny/Lacey romantic relationship, I'm a bit put off by the lack of forward movement with Lacey & Jo, but I expect next week's episode to a catalyst for moving the storytelling of that broken friendship.  Also, for the first time in the series I felt a genuine connection between Karen & Danny when she tied his tie, which was both lovely & unexpected--more of this please! 

dancingonmyown

dancingonmyown

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 13, 2013 @ 3:19 PM

you thought you were going to get a dark, twisted psychodrama and study of a possible sociopath on abc family ? maybe I just watch too many of their shows but I knew that was not going to happen. I'm 100 % positive Danny is just misunderstood, didn't kill regina and either didn't kill his aunt or had a good reason. Maybe if this was on abc we would get what you described. 

I didn't necessarily think it would be Hannibal or Bates Motel quality level of writing but yes, I at least thought the bulk of the writing would be about whether or not Danny really was a sociopath and the mystery behind his murdering his Aunt and Regina's death, especially as the show is labeled as a mystery-thriller.

And not to use PLL again especially considering how messy it's gotten but it is on ABC Family and it's shown that a teen drama on that network can yes, focus on the mystery and have romance be secondary. One thing I liked on PLL was how present Alison has been from day one through flashbacks by the girls and dreams. Lacey having that dream about Regina was good start but there needs to be more.

More of that kind of stuff is all I'm talking about. Let's see flashbacks of Danny with his aunt Tara. The woman is a central part of this whole mystery and up to this point, she's a complete nonentity. What is it that they can't get the actress in the pictures - well recast. 

Edited by dancingonmyown, Jul 13, 2013 @ 3:26 PM.

ChainofFools

ChainofFools

Fanatic

Posted Jul 13, 2013 @ 5:06 PM

Also, for the first time in the series I felt a genuine connection between Karen & Danny when she tied his tie, which was both lovely & unexpected--more of this please!

Big yes to this. This is one of if not the only time Danny interacted with someone where I thought he was being 100% genuine. I liked it and would like to see more things like it.

As for Regina, I thought one of the most important things she said in the pilot that should serve as one of the underlying themes f the show was when she talked about Danny's age at the time of the crime and how long he should be punished/ostracized because of it. This is a valid thought, especially in today's society with so many kids committing violent crimes. If the court decides a child should be charged and treated as a child and is then subsequently released, at what point do we stop punishing them. For this, let's just say Danny did kill his aunt, shouldn't he be ale to live his life and reintegrate into society. I do however question why he was released so early as usually kids in such cases are detained until they are eighteen. So given that, I guess Danny is owed two more years of being treated awfully by society. LoL

Edited by ChainofFools, Jul 13, 2013 @ 5:10 PM.

Enero

Enero

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 13, 2013 @ 5:46 PM

For this, let's just say Danny did kill his aunt, shouldn't he be ale to live his life and reintegrate into society. I do however question why he was released so early as usually kids in such cases are detained until they are eighteen.

Actually the  famous cases I've seen where kids have killed as young as Danny they haven't been released back into society until they were 20 years old. And before their release they are required to spend at least 2-years in a half-way house. This show is obviously taking liberties on that front, but I do wonder why Danny wasn't charged as an adult? Perhaps is was due to the laws in the state of New York? It appears that from the police and prosecution's POV, he killed his aunt for apparently no reason, which with the brutality of the crime, sounds like a good enough reason for him to be charged as an adult. If we're to believe his confession, it seems pretty clear that he is a very disturbed young man.  Which leads me to the first part of your statement. The courts made their ruling and Danny served his time, so he should be allowed re-enter society and live his life. However, the community doesn't have to help him do that re-build his life eta., - give him a job, welcome him into their neighborhoods etc., I don't know of any community that would be excited to see someone return to their neighborhood, schools,town functions etc., who committed first degree murder before he hit puberty. The community will, understandably, be afraid, hostile and not want him around. It might not be fair to the person trying to start over, but it's human nature.

This is one of if not the only time Danny interacted with someone where I thought he was being 100% genuine.

One of the other times I thought he appeared genuine was when he smiled at Lacey while she slept on his floor then covered her with a blanket. There was no pretense there, not agenda. I thought he was completely real in that scene.

Edited by Enero, Jul 13, 2013 @ 6:09 PM.

KatWay

KatWay

Fanatic

Posted Jul 13, 2013 @ 6:08 PM

However, I don't know of any community that would be excited to see someone return to their neighborhood, schools,town functions etc., who committed first degree murder before he hit puberty. The community will, understandably, be afraid, hostile and not want him around.

True! That is one thing that really bothers me - we're supposed to feel bad for Danny and root for him to get his life in the community back, but frankly why wouldn't they be wary of him? This also really hurts Jo's character because there's just no reason why she's so hellbent on helping a known, confessed killer who can't even give a reason why he did what he did. I think if there were more doubts about what happened with Aunt Tara or if Danny had actually said he was innocent at some point, or if there were some acknowledge odd things about the case, I'd understand Jo's quest to help him more and would root for Danny more. As it stands, I simply can't fathom why anybody would even want to hang out with a guy who apparently murdered his own aunt in cold blood for no apparent reason when he was only eleven. I'd run the other way, and fast.

Machuran

Machuran

Fanatic

Posted Jul 13, 2013 @ 6:32 PM

I'd understand Jo's quest to help him more and would root for Danny more. As it stands, I simply can't fathom why anybody would even want to hang out with a guy who apparently murdered his own aunt in cold blood for no apparent reason when he was only eleven. I'd run the other way, and fast.

Exactly and it didn't take long for her to jump on the Danny bandwagon.

Mikita

Mikita

Fanatic

Posted Jul 13, 2013 @ 6:51 PM

I agree. I don't think Disney/ABC have any apprehension about letting the white girl lose to the black girl. I'm also not naive enough to believe that race is a non-factor in this day and age, but Disney/ABC and particularly ABC Family have been great about featuring interracial couples and shown much love to the LGBT community, as well. IMO, it says a lot that the black girl is even a viable romantic option and "winning" at this point, as Danny only seems to have feelings for Lacey. That's something I've never seen on a mostly white teen soap, and I think if Disney or ABC was that hung up on race, the story wouldn't even have got this far to begin with. 10 or even 5 years ago, the biggest role a black girl could hope for was something like the sassy best friend and sounding board to her white friend's problems. I'm thinking Lacey was never intended to be black in the first place and they just went ahead and cast the best actress for the role, and I love that. 

Kylie and Maddie were cast first and I too believe that Lacey wasn't intended to be black, they just cast the best actress that they saw for the job. Avan was the last of the three to be cast. Danny was also intended to be white, I think. The cast list on Futoncritic http://thefutoncriti...ted-abc-family/still has Danny's last name listed as Ryder. Denise was hired to play Karen after Avan was hired as Danny. I think that they then just incorporated Avan's ethnic background into the role. They simply hired the best actors for the roles and didn't stay stuck in thinking that  Lacey and Danny were written as white characters so we must hire white actors to portray them. I love this and applaud  them for doing it. I wish more casting decisions were made this way. Hire the best actor, not the best actor who happens to be the color that  the character was written to be.

Viva Elijah

Viva Elijah

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 13, 2013 @ 7:11 PM

Kylie and Maddie were cast first and I too believe that Lacey wasn't intended to be black, they just cast the best actress that they saw for the job. Avan was the last of the three to be cast. Danny was also intended to be white, I think. The cast list on Futoncritic http://thefutoncriti...bc-family/still has Danny's last name listed as Ryder. Denise was hired to play Karen after Avan was hired as Danny. I think that they then just incorporated Avan's ethnic background into the role. They simply hired the best actors for the roles and didn't stay stuck in thinking that  Lacey and Danny were written as white characters so we must hire white actors to portray them. I love this and applaud  them for doing it. I wish more casting decisions were made this way. Hire the best actor, not the best actor who happens to be the color that  the character was written to be.

Preach. Unsurprisingly, I feel like this method of casting occurs most often when the audience for the program is 24 and younger. Sometimes not even then (CW). USA does a good job sometimes. Though sometimes when the opposite is practiced for films that are based on some other source material I have to give the side-eye. Like POC representation isn't low enough.

Rose1152

Rose1152

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 13, 2013 @ 9:14 PM

It is precisely because their viewing audience is 24 and younger why they need to stop the nonsense about white girl not losing out to the black girl. That age don't give a damn about things like that. They care about a good story and chemistry. That's why the shows end up on cancellation block. The people who write the show are clueless about their viewers. They write for themselves instead of the viewers

dancingonmyown

dancingonmyown

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 13, 2013 @ 9:45 PM

It is precisely because their viewing audience is 24 and younger why they need to stop the nonsense about white girl not losing out to the black girl.

Well honestly, imo the whole white girl not losing to a black girl thing seems to be a perception created by viewers and message boards and almost like some kind of pre-emptive strike and nothing that's actually happening on the show. 

smices

smices

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 13, 2013 @ 10:29 PM

the whole white girl not losing to a black girl thing seems to be a perception created by viewers and message boards.

No, just past experience. But it looks like this show might be different (hopefully). 

Edited by smices, Jul 13, 2013 @ 10:30 PM.

doram

doram

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 14, 2013 @ 2:29 AM

It's not a perception of it's based on empirical evidence. It's dismissive but well.

demifarro

demifarro

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 14, 2013 @ 3:22 AM

Well honestly, imo the whole white girl not losing to a black girl thing seems to be a perception created by viewers and message boards and almost like some kind of pre-emptive strike and nothing that's actually happening on the show. 

I agree. I haven't seen any indication of this except on the internet. The black girl is "winning" right now. 

As far as the focus on the love triangle is concerned, I knew the moment I saw the previews for this show that at least one of the girls would like Danny. My money was on Jo. I knew from the moment in the pilot when Danny and Lacey caught each other's eyes in the cafeteria and she looked away as if she didn't see him, that Lacey and Danny would like each other, too. Up until last week's episode, I had really hoped that Jo didn't like Danny after all or at the very least, wouldn't for a long time. Nope. I guess platonic boy/girl friendships just don't exist in TV Land. I can only think of a handful in recent years. That's the only thing that really bothers me, other than the feeling of everything being so rushed. I don't mind romance at all (I would call myself somewhat of a perpetual "shipper"), but I worry about where we can go from here, after such an important moment like a first kiss so early in the series. Danny will probably be pursuing Lacey more than ever while Lacey insists that it was a mistake and it won't happen again. Jo will notice their attraction to each other and be all jealous and hurt, pining for Danny, who will begin to notice Jo's crush, and then question his own feelings for her, which in turn, will make Lacey jealous, and blah blah blah...it's only going to get more annoying and teen angsty at this point and that's why I prefer romances when it's the backdrop to a much more important story. There's way less potential for it to get played out and obnoxious that way. 

Rose1152

Rose1152

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 14, 2013 @ 3:25 AM

The idea that Danny/jo is endgame is also a perception and it comes from place other than what's happening on the show. I strongly suspect that the two "perceptions" are related.

KatWay

KatWay

Fanatic

Posted Jul 14, 2013 @ 4:10 AM

Honestly, the idea that Danny/Jo are endgame I've mainly seen from Danny/Lacey fans who are perhaps trying to soften the blow preemptively or trying to prepare for disappointment. Nothing we've seen on the show or in the spoilers would indicate that Danny/Jo are endgame. Nothing even indicates that they're happening at all as a real couple.

I am not surprised that a teen show would go with a love triangle, but I was disappointed because I thought it was about the friendship of the three - personally, I find it hard to buy that people are still BFF after everyone has dated one another (like it happened on other shows). It just seems weird. If they go there with both Danny/Jo and Danny/Lacey (and thankfully, I don't think they are, at the moment), I will probably not be able to buy any of them going back to BFF after Danny switches to Lacey/Jo. How could he still be friends with the girl he dated before? How could they all still hang out together without things being weird? That always bothered me on shows like Gossip Girl and 90210 - as soon as a couple breaks up everyone pretends that never happened. But, on this show Danny/Lacey/Jo are THE main friendship trio, so I really hope this never happens.

Ace Reject

Ace Reject

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 14, 2013 @ 10:57 AM

Haven't the writers foreshadowed that Lacey and Danny will never be friends? The scene in the hall way between Archie and Danny has always stuck out. If they do decide to go down the triangle route, which I don't think they will than a reunion of the original three will never happen.

Also, I'm sure that the creator of the show confirmed that viewers would be given more Lacey/Jo moments. Again, hopefully Danny and Regina are not the driving forces behnd it.

rubyred

rubyred

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 14, 2013 @ 11:19 AM

Even though I thought it was a little too soon, I'm hoping the kiss(es) will help resolve some of the UST and we can refocus on the investigation.

So, some new theories/thoughts:

What is Regina's mothers' deal? That is one HBIC. I'm not suggesting that she killed her (she was out of town) but why is she so sure Danny did, other than he'd come to the party and he'd killed before? (I just get wiggly about the assumption that just because someone's done something once, they're automatically going to do it again. Although: recidivism.) But that is not an actress you waste.

I still don't fully understand Danny's motivation in keeping the necklace. He stopped himself from destroying it -- does he sense there's a greater mystery there, other than how the hell Regina got it?

Chief Masterson. He's totally over the top. I feel like there's something more at stake here that we don't know about. Of course he wants to protect his daughter and as a law enforcement officer he has a better idea of how juvie may have influenced Danny. But I feel like Danny's trial had to have been some kind of kangaroo court, because that slight 11 year old doing that kind of damage? Was it just like, well he confessed! Was the community so freaked out that they just rubber stamped his confession so that they could feel safer in their beds? OR,  does Masterson know something about Danny, pre-murder Danny, that Tess et al don't? Did he catch him pulling wings off flies? We've seen that all the moms were all friendly and perfectly fine with the threesome friendship, but was he? I still wonder if he was Chief then, or if that was the case that made him Chief, and he secretly worries that he didn't do a good investigation.

Tess. More and more I'm baffled by this character. She's so happy to get her daughter in a dress that she doesn't care that she's hanging out with a pariah? Jo could get hurt just as collateral damage. But also -- a small-town potter? A potter?! In a town that size? I don't know why but it strikes such a discordant note for me. PS Tess' dress at the Formal was so unflattering I didn't even recognize her at first.

Relieved that they seem to have dropped the Karen/Principal Tang thing, that was a total needle scratch.

Edited by rubyred, Jul 14, 2013 @ 11:22 AM.

Enero

Enero

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 14, 2013 @ 11:33 AM

Also, I'm sure that the creator of the show confirmed that viewers would be given more Lacey/Jo moments.

There's no guarantee those will be friendly moments. I don't think these three will ever have back what they had as children. I think there will be times when they'll work together towards a common goal, but the three being BFFs again - no. Of course Lacey will eventually have her romance with Danny, before moving on and Jo too - before she returns to being friends forever with him. But Jo/Lacey, right now I can't see it. Jo is so hostile towards Lacey. She gives no indication that there is even a small part of her that misses Lacey or their friendship. And because of this I'm not invested in their friendship being re- established. The writers are going to have to do some serious work to show me why Lacey should even be friends with Jo, before I'll be rooting for that friendship. Understand that doesn't mean I want them to be enemies, I'm just not interested in them being friends. Right now, I'm most interested in the murder mysteries, Danny's psyche, Lacey's family/what makes her tick etc., than the three becoming BFFs again.

hellasucks

hellasucks

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 14, 2013 @ 12:49 PM

I think the "real" triangle on this show is between Danny/Jo/Kyle.

Both Jo and Kyle seem to be totally obsessed with Danny.

For different reasons, of course.

Edited by hellasucks, Jul 14, 2013 @ 12:49 PM.

Machuran

Machuran

Fanatic

Posted Jul 14, 2013 @ 1:10 PM

There's no guarantee those will be friendly moments. I don't think these three will ever have back what they had as children. I think there will be times when they'll work together towards a common goal, but the three being BFFs again - no. Of course Lacey will eventually have her romance with Danny, before moving on and Jo too - before she returns to being friends forever with him. But Jo/Lacey, right now I can't see it. Jo is so hostile towards Lacey. She gives no indication that there is even a small part of her that misses Lacey or their friendship. And because of this I'm not invested in their friendship being re- established. The writers are going to have to do some serious work to show me why Lacey should even be friends with Jo, before I'll be rooting for that friendship. Understand that doesn't mean I want them to be enemies, I'm just not interested in them being friends. Right now, I'm most interested in the murder mysteries, Danny's psyche, Lacey's family/what makes her tick etc., than the three becoming BFFs again.

It's because they never showed us their friendship, we only saw them together at the start of the series when they saw Danny with the rope right after Tara's death.  Even in present day, it's mostly been Jo giving Lacey dirty looks and Lacey trying to avoid it.

Buried Treasure

Buried Treasure

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 14, 2013 @ 3:18 PM

My best guess for Tess is that she doesn't see Danny solely as a potential threat to Jo because Tess herself was once a caregiver for Danny. It makes a certain amount of sense that she might be more willing than almost  anybody else in town to give him a second chance as she was one of the adults that knew him since he was a baby. I could be wrong though, I'm basing that on the assumption the three moms shared childcare duties, not anything the show is telling me about what Tess is thinking in the now.

As for the love triangle; Lacey likes Danny, Jo is seemingly starting to like Danny, but who the hell knows what Danny wants? The show has convinced me that Danny wants both Lacey and Jo back in his life, but it has also taught me that any of the feelings he displays are not to be trusted - and that includes any of the signs that he has fallen for Lacey. Maybe 'we'll never be friends again' meant Danny has fallen for Lacey, but it could have been Danny accepting that he was not going to win Lacey back as a friend and that if he was going to win her back into his life he was going to have to work a different strategy. I don't think Danny will turn out to be the shows definition of a sociapath but he is dark enough that I think he can go very far in manipulating  even the three people he loves (his mom, Lacey, Jo).