11-1 & 11-2: "Twenty Chefs Compete" 2013.03.12

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

85 replies to this topic

hermannmem

hermannmem

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 14, 2013 @ 7:59 PM

Is this the most obese group they've ever had?

I appreciate this group because of their size. I get so sick and tired of watching TV and every woman has to be a size double zero, when that's not what I see in real life. When too many of the people are good looking, I figure they're all famewhores or wannabe models/actors looking for their next job.

For me this is the homeliest cast "Hell's Kitchen" has ever had. Don't these people care what they look like on national TV? I mean, you can only work with what nature gave you, but still! It's just wrong!

DropTheSoap

DropTheSoap

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 14, 2013 @ 10:07 PM

This may be the stupidest group. Gina is in a class by herself, and does seem to have actual mental issues. Danielle and Jeremy just seem dumb. Ray probably knows his stuff but does dumb things like the finger in the risotto...same with Michael and Barret. Sebastian was a total idiot with the 3 returns. Then there's the woman who didn't want to cook before she drank the water. Lots of candidates to not make it to black jacket but cause drama en route.

WickedTuna

WickedTuna

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 14, 2013 @ 11:27 PM

For me this is the homeliest cast "Hell's Kitchen" has ever had.

I'm glad someone else thought that too. I felt really bad when one of my first comments was 'boy, these are not very attractive people'. Guess I know where I'm spending eternity.

I was wondering too who the tall guy was who was left with King Zach. At first I thought it was the chef with the big ears that did so poorly in the challenge but I'm pretty sure he was one of the first ones kicked out. I'm thinking it was whoever replaced Scott.

Jacqueline looked familiar so I googled her. She was on an episode of Chopped, Season 9, Episode 10. I can't remember much about the episode but I do remember I didn't like her. The winner was from New Zealand.

aliyameadow

aliyameadow

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2013 @ 12:16 AM

I'm watching this again on YT and I swear I was thinking these are some unattractive people. Not that it matters, just saying.

What is the deal with risotto? I don't care for it, personally, but is it really so hard to cook well? These contestants should have practiced at home; they know GR is going to ask for risotto, but what I don't get is why it is done so poorly so often. I know it needs to be stirred, but if it is that time consuming, why bother with it in a restaurant? And if it's not a big deal, why, season after season, do these 'cooks' have problems making it?

JTMacc99

JTMacc99

Stalker

• Interests:I like TV.

Posted Mar 15, 2013 @ 7:26 AM

And if it's not a big deal, why, season after season, do these 'cooks' have problems making it?

It is not easy to get just right. Even good chefs have to pay attention carefully not to screw it up.

Add in the following: Pressure of being on TV, pressure of getting yelled at relentlessly by Ramsay, pressure of having a team relying on you, pressure of possibly not being all that of an accomplished chef in the first place, and pressure of cooking somebody's recipe for the first time and trying to get it done to his exacting standards, and there is a pretty good chance it could go wrong more often than you would think. It makes for entertaining TV, which is the most important thing.

jmhm

jmhm

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2013 @ 7:42 AM

It's also hard to confirm visually that risotto is done. The difference between underdone and done properly is very slight, and between properly cooked and overdone is even slighter. If you don't have the time to stand over the stove stirring, you're going to have to keep an eye on it, which doesn't really tell you all that much.

alapaki

alapaki

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2013 @ 8:23 AM

I think it's the time sensitivity of risotto that makes it such a challenge in HK. You can't rush it, and if you let it go too long it's ruined. It's very difficult to coordinate its readiness along with the rest of the dish given the chaos in the kitchen.

As far as the general fugiliness of the field this season, I don't think anyone on the cast is dramatically more repugnant than anyone we've seen in the past. It's just that past season have provided at least a little eye candy. I despair of the hot-tub scenes and beach/pool/spa-related rewards this season!

cooksdelight

cooksdelight

Stalker

Posted Mar 15, 2013 @ 9:58 AM

It's also hard to confirm visually that risotto is done.

Well, just stick your fingers in and taste it to be sure! *snark*

I despair of the hot-tub scenes and beach/pool/spa-related rewards this season!

Oh lord, my eyes!! Don't you just know that with this bunch that will be a reward every single time? *shudder*

alapaki

alapaki

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2013 @ 10:48 AM

I forgot my favorite line of the night:

When GR kicked the old guy out of the Kitchen, "you're my elder, I respect that, but FUCK OFF!"

hermannmem

hermannmem

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 15, 2013 @ 2:13 PM

I'm watching this again on YT and I swear I was thinking these are some unattractive people. Not that it matters, just saying.

Ha-ha! TV is a visual medium, so it kinda does matter; their looks and personas are distracting. I just hope their cooking skills are up to par, but knowing how Ramsay puts chefs through the ringer .....

ari333

ari333

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2013 @ 2:55 PM

Is Gina mentally ill for real? If so, would legal let them cast her? No, really, I wonder. If she's really off the beam, it seems mean and immoral to use her on the show as fodder or comedy or whatever is happening. OTOH, if she is mentally well, but just a manipulative, hypochondriacal, nutjob puppeteer, then .... carry on. :)

Why are there never sushi and snacks on a nekid man?

I think Ramsay's ah-skeered of Nedra.

That is all.

hermannmem

hermannmem

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 15, 2013 @ 8:40 PM

Why are there never sushi and snacks on a nekid man?

I never understood the appeal of this, naked man or woman. Ew.

Modernwhimsy

Modernwhimsy

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 15, 2013 @ 11:11 PM

The "GETTTOUT" from the promos that was from this episode makes me laugh every time. I think it's the cluelessness of the girl...she's naive.

Gina needs to go next episode. The puppet can stay. Gina is making me crazy.

Do those women take showers before naked sushi or am I eating something off some chick's questionably cleaned skin? One minute she's going to the bathroom for the final time, the next minute someone is loading sushi on her upper thigh? Color me hurled.

Wow that girl has massive boobs. That's a lifetime of backpain. I can't believe she has a job where she is standing up all day. I'd tip over. At least she's got personality! She's going to be a doozy this season.

Dang...miss Scott's gruff face already. JP's entrance was a waste. Failed attempt at physical comedy.

preeya

preeya

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 16, 2013 @ 8:14 AM

There have been other heavyweights. Three that come to mind are Robert (seasons 5 & 6) and Clemenza and Kimmie (season 10).

Edited by preeya, Mar 16, 2013 @ 9:23 AM.

jmhm

jmhm

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2013 @ 8:30 AM

Scary Raj and Aaron (the "Asian Cowboy" who had a breakdown) were also pretty substantial. I don't particularly care what any of them look like (except for the part where Gina needs to get some industrial solvent and take a layer or eight of makeup off, because there's no way that amount of eyeliner-smudge accumulated in one day).

I do think the overweight contestants are cannon fodder. Ramsay was pretty forthright about how he felt about fat people in general and fat chefs in particular before he lost a third of his body weight. I can't picture him making one of them the face of one of his restaurants.

Edited by jmhm, Mar 16, 2013 @ 8:38 AM.

backformore

backformore

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2013 @ 3:22 PM

There have been other heavyweights. Three that come to mind are Robert (seasons 5 & 6) and Clemenza and Kimmie (season 10).

Yes, on most seasons there is one, maybe two morbidly obese contestants. But this group? I lost count. And yeah, I'm hoping they skip the rewards where winning team goes to the beach or the spa.
A photo shoot episode would be entertaining though - imagine the experts who have to do the hair/makeup/fashion makeovers on this group of women!

StinkPill

StinkPill

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 16, 2013 @ 3:51 PM

Awww Aaron the Asian Cowboy! RIP.. This group as a whole does seem bigger in general than we've seen on this show before. It's too early for me to really root for anyone yet, but I did like Mary the butcher. She was soft spoken, but buckled down during dinner service and didn't get yelled at so that's good. I don't see her lasting long though. At least next week is only an hour, though I know they'll be squeezing in hijinks as much as possible.

niklj

niklj

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2013 @ 4:58 AM

What was up with that girl contestant that was doing nothing, got kicked out for doing nothing, and then was all "Oh well." WTF?!

Also, Jeremy is scary. "I'm gonna win that stupid restaurant...and I'm gonna show 'em..." Yes, good luck being "head chef" of that "stupid restaurant." He seems to have some anger issues.

The live signature dishes round became "Hell's Kitchen: The Sitcom." Ramsay had his own laugh track. It was very weird. Let's not do that again.

Good on that tableside appetizer guy contestant for serving mussels to the hungry people who weren't getting their food even if they didn't order it. That's good service.

Why are there so many contestants this season?!

legaleagle44

legaleagle44

Stalker

• Interests:Foreign language and culture study, cooking, dancing, music, reading, and television, of course!

Posted Mar 17, 2013 @ 12:44 PM

The live signature dishes round became "Hell's Kitchen: The Sitcom." Ramsay had his own laugh track. It was very weird. Let's not do that again.

Oh, I don't know. I think Gordon had a ball doing that round. It shows that underneath that gruff exterior, he really has quite the sense of humor, as did the bit with Jean-Phillippe rushing into the restaurant looking like hell and knocking everything over.

But the one black chef needs to tone it down in his interviews. My hearing may not be quite what it was when I was younger, but I still don't need him yelling at me. Inside voice, dude!

ari333

ari333

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2013 @ 7:53 PM

Ooops. Wrong thread. Sorry

Edited by ari333, Mar 17, 2013 @ 9:27 PM.

TWoP Nikita

TWoP Nikita

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2013 @ 7:59 PM

Discussion of Ramsay's personal weight or his attitude about weight in general should go in his thread. It's not on topic in the episode thread.

fostersmom

fostersmom

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2013 @ 1:37 PM

ITA. I didn't like the live audience for signature dishes at all. Ramsey was completely playing to the crowd and it seemed it was quite caught up in the idea of humiliating and mocking the chefs just for the sake of it since he had that audience. The round always goes into the last dish as a tie, so that wasn't a surprise, but it did seem more fake than usual.

BMerelHK10

BMerelHK10

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 18, 2013 @ 11:53 PM

I should've brought a puppet with me instead of family pics.

By the way....they are VERY fuckin lucky to have had the studio audience to fill the gut wrenching silence when Chef is deciding how/if he's gonna gut you.
You have NO idea how brutal that is.
Makes my heart pound all over again watching this fuckin show.

Edited by TWoP Nikita, Mar 19, 2013 @ 9:34 AM.
off-topic

ThatPoshGirl

ThatPoshGirl

Stalker

Posted Mar 19, 2013 @ 1:21 AM

I was thinking the "10 years" thing was somewhat dubious, since they are only on season 11 and they have done two seasons a year at least a couple of times. So, I looked it up, and I was right. The first season was 2005. Surely they know that! Why would they claim it has been ten years when that is so easily verifiable?

DakotaJustice

DakotaJustice

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 19, 2013 @ 1:43 PM

I was thinking the "10 years" thing was somewhat dubious, since they are only on season 11 and they have done two seasons a year at least a couple of times. So, I looked it up, and I was right. The first season was 2005. Surely they know that! Why would they claim it has been ten years when that is so easily verifiable?

Perhaps they're counting the UK/BBC seasons of HK as well?

Malachi

Malachi

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 31, 2013 @ 1:22 AM

The one thing I do appreciate about this trainwreck (aside from it's wreckiness) is the contestants are consistantly unattractive (either physically or personality wise). It's very rare that a reality show has truely heinous contestants that they aren't trying to make over (make prettier/lose weight/etc).

I agree. I don't want to snark on any of the contestants over things that they can't change, but I must admit an overwhelming desire to do an ambush makeover on each of them. What is surprising, however, watching the first few episodes, and then rewatching the first one, is how they all look immensely better in the signature dish challenge, some of them to the point where they're completely unrecognizable. Their schedule must be grueling. I'd hate to see what I would look like on broadcast television after being roused out of bed by screaming members of the military. Yet another reason I'd never want to be on this show.