11-1 & 11-2: "Twenty Chefs Compete" 2013.03.12

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

85 replies to this topic

TWoP Nikita

TWoP Nikita

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2013 @ 1:02 PM

From Zap2it:

Twenty aspiring restaurateurs present their signature dishes to Ramsay -- and an audience -- in Las Vegas; the contestants arrive at the dorms; Ramsay sends contestants out of the kitchen after a rocky first dinner service.

This thread will open at 9:00pm EDT on March 12th.

StinkPill

StinkPill

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 12, 2013 @ 9:06 PM

Seems to be a lot of stunt players this season.. So, just hire Zach and be done with it. The Jean-Philippe storyline was a little odd, don't know where they are going with that.

ari333

ari333

Fanatic

Posted Mar 12, 2013 @ 9:09 PM

Poor Jean-Philippe; yes, that exchange was odd indeed. Wow, I've been out of the loop for a couple of seasons, but did Ramsay scream at the maître d? Since when has he become fair game for the wrath of Ramsay?

Who's the dude who yelled, "I'm Mexican!" ...something about the spices.

Oh, Holy Mother, you'd think these folks would know scallops and the freakin Wellington by now.

Nedra is a hoot and is going to cut a bitch.

Edited by ari333, Mar 12, 2013 @ 9:12 PM.

MyEyesSee

MyEyesSee

Fanatic

Posted Mar 12, 2013 @ 9:10 PM

My (TV) crack is back! Good to see GR in his usual form. Good to see JP too.

I agree that there are a lot of stunt folks. Hope they get weeded out quickly.

ari333

ari333

Fanatic

Posted Mar 12, 2013 @ 9:14 PM

TV crack is right.

The dude talking too much on the bus, holy crap you could feel the tension as in, "Someone shut this fucker up already." hee.

And there's the chick with the puppet. I wasn't even there and I wanted to smack her.

cooksdelight

cooksdelight

Stalker

Posted Mar 12, 2013 @ 10:06 PM

I try to never judge people by a first impression, looks, weirdness, etc. But this bunch, good lord.... Sebastian would have made me jump off the bus in the middle of the desert and take my chance with the coyotes and snakes. Glad he's gone.

Gina and her hand puppet. And her being out of her head. She is not long for this show. Do they not give psychological evaluations to these people? Or maybe they do and if you score high in crazy, you are on the show.

The blonde girl from LA who is in culinary school, she comes across as a total dunce. And the other girl who couldn't keep straight what the orders were, she's an executive chef? She was totally flummoxed by the brigade system. Or team system, take your pick.

The guy with the glasses and spiky hair made the most sense of anyone in his THs. It will take me a while to learn names, sorry. I expected old dude to know better than to stick his fingers in the risotto to taste it. Find out where he cooks and avoid at all costs.

Nedra is indeed a hoot. She said she wants to vote for Gina with both hands, and her hoo-hoos count as too more hands! LOL

The other guy up for elimination, Jeremy. That dude is scary. I mean, psycho with a knife in the middle of the night scary.

I think this is the most unprepared group I have ever seen on this show.

ari333

ari333

Fanatic

Posted Mar 12, 2013 @ 10:19 PM

Gina and her hand puppet. And her being out of her head. She is not long for this show. Do they not give psychological evaluations to these people? Or maybe they do and if you score high in crazy, you are on the show.

heh heh YES! I can hear it now, TPTB getting the evaluation from the screening Dr, "Hey this one is certifiable."

TPTB: "Great! Cast her/him! ...and find 10 more the same. Awesome!"

Edited by ari333, Mar 13, 2013 @ 5:39 AM.

Rachel Pringle1

Rachel Pringle1

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 12, 2013 @ 10:33 PM

Best line of the night was Zach prior to nominations: "The guilty parties will be penalized to the utmost". Very articulate.

Writing Wrongs

Writing Wrongs

Fanatic

Posted Mar 12, 2013 @ 10:33 PM

Is this the most obese group they've ever had?

The way Jeremy couldn't repeat back the order, I wonder if he has a learning disability or something?

olivia1

olivia1

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 12, 2013 @ 10:37 PM

Wow, that Gina was horrible. A puppet? Why wasn't she studying? Then she has an anxiety attack because she doesn't know what's going on the next day.

Who wants to bet that Zach screws up big time next week?

JP is not a good actor. I knew he was fake dropping stuff to make noise when he came in the door.

I love GR, but his teeth look weird since he had them all capped the same size.

WickedTuna

WickedTuna

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 12, 2013 @ 10:57 PM

The contestant with the apostrophe in her name was about the only one I liked. It's early though so that could change.

For me Nedra was very, very annoying. Especially in her TH's when she couldn't sit still.

And maybe the bustiest? They just seemed to get bigger and bigger from one chef to another.

I tried to feel sorry for Danielle 'I've Never Worked in a Brigade' but WTH was up with her? What sort of kitchen does she work in?

Jeremy reminds me of a super fat Kris Humphries.

gryphon

gryphon

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 12, 2013 @ 11:14 PM

It looks like Gina kind of had a panic attack--which can be pretty serious--but I am suspicious that it is an act...she doesn't seem to have all of her faculties.

I miss Chef Scott--he was a hottie.

Every time Grr shouts, "LAAAAMB" it cracks me up.

Edited by gryphon, Mar 12, 2013 @ 11:35 PM.

cooksdelight

cooksdelight

Stalker

Posted Mar 12, 2013 @ 11:22 PM

Gina stayed up all night talking to her puppet instead of studying the menu. I'd be panicked, too.

But yes, it looked like she was more concerned with getting coffee and doing her makeup. Some women take longer to get started in the morning than others, and if that's the case she's doomed.

fostersmom

fostersmom

Fanatic

Posted Mar 12, 2013 @ 11:55 PM

Well, so far, none of the women seem like they just got out of prison... so that's an improvement over last season. Sure the loon with the puppet might have escaped from a psych ward, but that's a whole other issue. Please, please, please let her bring the puppet into the kitchen! The one with the squeaky voice seemed good, but I can't see her getting a job from Gordon.

I'm not quite understanding what Jeremy did to merit being nominated, beyond not being able to remember a ticket and burning greens. The men were imploding left and right and he is the worst? I think the real issue was he didn't fall for Zack's bullying and Zack couldn't have that. I can already tell I'm going to hate Zack.

Edited by fostersmom, Mar 12, 2013 @ 11:56 PM.

Lilybee

Lilybee

Fanatic

Posted Mar 13, 2013 @ 12:01 AM

I stopped watching this show a few season ago but since NCIS was a rerun, I checked it out. But as someone said, Just when I thought I was out, it drew me back in. So many characters, so much bouncing boobies. This season should be so snarkable.
I kinda like Nedra so I hope that she calms down a bit but she is funny, especially when she asked for a prayer before Ramsey tasted her dish. She may be amusing. I love her comments about Tina.

aliyameadow

aliyameadow

Fanatic

Posted Mar 13, 2013 @ 12:23 AM

Who wants to bet that Zach screws up big time next week?

I'll bet $1! He certainly did well tonight, even with the vomiting issue, but sometimes that kind of talk comes back to bite the talker on the ass. He may do well, he may be gone next week- tho Ramsey does like a hard worker who doesn't give up. If you can puke and then get yourself together and go in and cook, well, Ramsey might give you a few passes, but it won't last forever.

The woman with the puppet? What was her issue during service? I thought she might be having low blood sugar (I'm diabetic and can get a little squirrely when my levels aren't good) - but, but then couldn't tell if she was faking, crazy, or what.

If the guys had any guts, Sebastian would have been thrown out the rear exit. No one would have been the wiser.

threebluestars

threebluestars

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 13, 2013 @ 12:39 AM

I need a scene where Gina comes downstairs to find her puppet being boiled in a pot by Chef Ramsay.

LakeGal

LakeGal

Fanatic

Posted Mar 13, 2013 @ 12:43 AM

Gina and her puppet. She was pretty annoying to the rest of them. She obviously does not read a room well. She stayed up all night playing with her puppet. Of course she was tired and not ready the next day. I think she faked her problem so she got out of doing the prep work. The other women did all the work and she went back to her room and did her hair and makeup. She is going to be a problem.

CK17

CK17

Fanatic

Posted Mar 13, 2013 @ 1:36 AM

I got a good laugh at the other guy that survived on the Blue Team got zero screen time. Zach and the editors made it seem like he was the only one left.

enoki

enoki

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 13, 2013 @ 1:46 AM

I think that while Nedra seems funny now, she will start to grate on my nerves in about 4 or 5 episodes, if she lasts that long!

I thought Ramsey kicked out 9 of the guys. That only leaves one who remained. Was the other person in the kitchen the new Scott?

I got a good laugh at the other guy that survived on the Blue Team got zero screen time. Zach and the editors made it seem like he was the only one left.

maatkare

maatkare

Fanatic

• Interests:"Modern Family," "Mad Men," "30 Rock," mystery novels, old movies, tootin' around on my folding bike, dayhikes in Griffith Park, never met a hamburger or spicy tuna roll I didn't like. And vodka.

Posted Mar 13, 2013 @ 3:48 AM

Ok, I know it's all fictionalized, but even in that rattletrap school bus, unless they were driving back to L.A. on the Sunday afternoon following a holiday weekend, it should not take 8 1/2 hours to get from Las Vegas to Los Angeles. Even with a pit stop/fast food lunch it's more like 5. Just sayin'. I drive a Subaru and don't excessively speed, and I've done it routinely in 4 1/2. And holy crap--they are a weighty bunch. And what bet did that gal from True Blood lose to have to appear and not even get interviewed?!

AGinLA

AGinLA

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 13, 2013 @ 5:26 AM

This show has become so fake and predictable. As soon as chatty bus boy stunt plant started talking I knew he would be the one to go first if the boy team lost service. Batty puppet lady stunt plant will be the next to go when the girl team loses service. Oh wait that will probably be next week. Guess the plants need to get some money to pay their SAG dues. I suspect there two more plants since they usually start with 16 contestants.

ari333

ari333

Fanatic

Posted Mar 13, 2013 @ 5:56 AM

I kinda like Nedra so I hope that she calms down a bit but she is funny, especially when she asked for a prayer before Ramsey tasted her dish. She may be amusing. I love her comments about Tina.

Heh.
Nedra: "Chef, may I pray before we start this that you won't bust my balls?"
Ramsay: "Sure."
Silent prayer proceeds.
Ramsay: "What was your prayer?"
Nedra: "Please God, don't let Chef bust my balls."

Love how Ramsay says, "Geh-TOUT!"

I'm waiting for the first time Ramsay makes a crack about Nedra's size and she punches his lights out on national teevee or puts him in a headlock 'til he loses consciousness. What do you want to bet that Nedra ends up telling puppet lady that she's going to shove that doll where the sun don't shine, and she doesn't mean Seattle? They may need a proctologist for urgent puppet extraction.

You beat me to the, "boiling the puppet" comment dammit. :) Puppet soup, yum.

Ramsay seems contrived the way he praises, or even super praises, someone; then he turns on a dime and that same person is toast. Did scallops lady do "perfection" scallops one time, then two minutes later didn't, "know how to cook scallops?" Maybe I'm confused; it was all going so fast.

What kills me too is the way they "re-fire" and as soon as the food hits the stove, someone's screaming, "Is it up yet? Is it ready? Is it ready? IS IT READY?" Well, no. The laws of physics still apply even to a "re-fire." Do you want it cooked or do you want it now? (Or do you want to wear it?)

With the heat, discomfort, and all the talking, I thought someone was going to hurl that one chatty dude off the bus and his body would be discovered in the desert at a later date. What happens on the school bus from Vegas, stays on the school bus from Vegas.

Was it me or when Celine walked out to meet them, did the ladies seemed decidedly underwhelmed? Maybe it was a shock, but it was awkwardly quiet for what was seemingly supposed to be a thrilling surprise. Later, they were all animated! as if someone told them to take it up a notch.

Edited by ari333, Mar 13, 2013 @ 10:12 AM.

MoeBee

MoeBee

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 13, 2013 @ 6:22 AM

This latest bunch seems incompetent enough, but I'm afraid that they won't be as entertaining as last year's crop of losers. I'm already missing Kimmie, and Robin, and Credenza and that other nasty fat drunken chick.

mertensia

mertensia

Fanatic

Posted Mar 13, 2013 @ 7:06 AM

And Gina learns the hard way that people outside her home town don't care that she's of Sicilian ancestry and from wherever the Hell she's from. East Coast, I would guess.

"No no no- there's Sebastian." Heh. Yeah he must have been nonstop talking.

Ah how I've missed incompetent boobs who never ever practice cooking scallops at home beforehand. One of the male chefs seemed legitimately surprised that the Beef Wellingtons weren't done ; I wonder if TPTB were monkeying with temperatures again.

PoorKitty

PoorKitty

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 13, 2013 @ 7:13 AM

The women's team looks like a herd of cows, but at least most of them seem to be able to cook.

Liking Nedra for now, but I'm seeing serious "annoying as hell" potential as she probably will last a good while.

"Chef" Zack is already on my shit list for referring to himself in the third person. I can tell he's a huge drama queen/camera whore who's always angling for a soundbite.

Last season was all Women's Prison. This season it's the men as far as looks go. That bus might as well had "State of California Department of Corrections" painted on the side, but over-all this season's crop appears more promising than last year's pond scum.

Edited by PoorKitty, Mar 13, 2013 @ 7:14 AM.

Leighdear

Leighdear

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 13, 2013 @ 8:01 AM

Zak has already become this season's "Dana".....Shouting everything at the camera at full volume. I HATE that. He'll flame out unless he tones down that attitude.

The only "big" personality to win a season was Rock, back in Season 3. And he could back up the boasting. Ramsay doesn't mind it during the competition, but when it comes down to the finals, he just wants exceptional cooking & leadership. HE'S the showman.

Modernwhimsy

Modernwhimsy

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 13, 2013 @ 8:07 AM

Does that one guy know he's got a squirrel sitting on his head?

cooksdelight

cooksdelight

Stalker

Posted Mar 13, 2013 @ 8:47 AM

Ok, I know it's all fictionalized, but even in that rattletrap school bus, unless they were driving back to L.A. on the Sunday afternoon following a holiday weekend, it should not take 8 1/2 hours to get from Las Vegas to Los Angeles.

The Real Housewives of Atlanta recently made a bus trip from LA to Vegas, in a much nicer bus with AC and a bar, and it took them 8 hours. So, I don't doubt a school bus took that long, even if he was hauling ass, which you can't do in a school bus.

This show has become so fake and predictable. As soon as chatty bus boy stunt plant started talking I knew he would be the one to go first if the boy team lost service. Batty puppet lady stunt plant will be the next to go when the girl team loses service. Oh wait that will probably be next week. Guess the plants need to get some money to pay their SAG dues. I suspect there two more plants since they usually start with 16 contestants.

Plants? Can you provide a link or something, for I've not read that anywhere.

jmhm

jmhm

Fanatic

Posted Mar 13, 2013 @ 9:02 AM

And Gina learns the hard way that people outside her home town don't care that she's of Sicilian ancestry and from wherever the Hell she's from. East Coast, I would guess.

That would be the Bronx, probably around Arthur Avenue, where there are astonishing southern italian restaurants which I'm guessing Gina doesn't work at (fun fact: she says in her interview on the website that the first dish she learned to cook was "Seafood Pescatore," which is kind of like saying "cream sauce alfredo"). But: while I think she has the potential to be an amusing train wreck, something about the combination of the puppet and the vapor-having and the Signora Havisham makeup is giving me a really uncomfortable Raj vibe. I don't think watching someone mentally unstable fall apart on camera is a good time.

Ed: Did anyone notice Zach wash his hands between vomiting holding on to the garbage can and returning to the line?

Edited by jmhm, Mar 13, 2013 @ 9:32 AM.