Devin Velez

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

28 replies to this topic

TWoP Tennison

TWoP Tennison

Fanatic

• Interests:Moderating

Posted Mar 9, 2013 @ 9:55 AM

Devin Velez

cubbie5150

cubbie5150

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 9, 2013 @ 1:51 PM

I find this guy interesting vocally..pretty much the only guy I can say that about this year. Hope he can stick around til the top 5, though I doubt it.

ssuussaann

ssuussaann

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 10, 2013 @ 4:41 AM

I agree, and I do think he'll be around in the top five.

jenny1234

jenny1234

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 10, 2013 @ 1:31 PM

I really like his voice. Easily the best of the guys to me.

angelita100

angelita100

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2013 @ 6:23 PM

Devin's actually my favorite out of everyone. Hope he can crack the top 5 as well.

WhitleyGilbert

WhitleyGilbert

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 11, 2013 @ 3:42 PM

I really like Devin. He has a great voice and I love his energy. He has probably the better stage presence out of all the guys since Paul is "too theatrical," Burnell appears to be conducting an orchestra, Curtis is...Curtis, Lazaro looks afraid a lot of times.

Kromm

Kromm

Fanatic

Posted Mar 11, 2013 @ 6:44 PM

If he does the half-Spanish/half-English thing every time, I'm gonna get real sick of it.

And he's not a dummy. He realized this himself and tried a "Celebration Round" sound all in English. He knew, I bet, that it was going to get old, and he'd get pigeonholed, and some judge (probably Nicki, but possibly Randy) would mention it, and he'd get a backlash. So he sang that song all in English.

And then that idiot Nicki, who likes fucking over contestants in little ways, brought things back to how much she enjoyed his half-Spanish singing and so sabotaged Devin's obvious efforts to draw attention away from that gimmick. And so I bet we'll be seeing the half and half again, for a few weeks, and if he tries changing it up, he'll get sabotaged.

Which is a shame. He is probably the best of the guys, since Lazaro is a bit of a joke, Curtis is one note even if dramatic and effective at that one thing, and Paul outright sucks.

Edited by Kromm, Mar 11, 2013 @ 6:52 PM.

angelita100

angelita100

Fanatic

Posted Mar 12, 2013 @ 3:34 AM

Devin did say he would change it up. Now I just have to go see if he said that before or after Nikki's comments. He seems pretty saavy to me though.

Habeas Corpus

Habeas Corpus

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 12, 2013 @ 4:50 PM

brought things back to how much she enjoyed his half-Spanish singing and so sabotaged Devin's obvious efforts to draw attention away from that gimmick.

If that was supposed to ba a sabotage, it wasn't clever one. Typical American audience won't turn away from a contestant because he sang a song in English, and neither will the Spanish-speaking demo who want to vote for one of their own.

I don't see Devin lasting long (I'm predicting he'll the second guy to go, after Curtis) but he won't be voted off because of Nicki.

Kromm

Kromm

Fanatic

Posted Mar 12, 2013 @ 4:58 PM

If that was supposed to ba a sabotage, it wasn't clever one. Typical American audience won't turn away from a contestant because he sang a song in English, and neither will the Spanish-speaking demo who want to vote for one of their own.

I wasn't saying anyone would abandon him for singing in either language, or both.

The gist is that Nicki probably will COMMENT when he changes pattern, telling him he'd better "stay in his lane" or worse, and there's a deep and well proven track record on this show that when a judge who originally propped up a contest starts criticizing a contest, that the voting suffers.

MarySNJ

MarySNJ

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 14, 2013 @ 11:03 AM

I find this guy interesting vocally..pretty much the only guy I can say that about this year. Hope he can stick around til the top 5, though I doubt it.

I agree. I'm afraid he may not because he's actually got some subtlety to his performances (why I like him) whereas big bombastic Curtis and more heavily pimped Burnell suck up most of the attention for good or bad. Lazaro is a cutie and tugs the heartstrings but he's out of his league as a singer and Paul is the only cute white guy for those who like to vote for a TV boyfriend of a certain demographic, so I hope Devin is not overshadowed by the bigger personalities or judges favoritism. I think Devin has the potential to be very commercial and a good voice. I could hear him on the radio singing commercial pop or Latin pop, or both.

Edited by MarySNJ, Mar 14, 2013 @ 11:07 AM.

jvermeer5

jvermeer5

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 14, 2013 @ 8:52 PM

I love Devin's voice and hope he stays around for a while. The hubby pointed out that this is who he looks like:
http://images.search...umb=3gzQwdY3raG

LennieB

LennieB

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2013 @ 9:41 AM

Typical American audience won't turn away from a contestant because he sang a song in English, and neither will the Spanish-speaking demo who want to vote for one of their own.

I would think that his being born in Cuba might put that latter "demo" in Lazaro's column (as the Florida AI vote just showed).

I liked Devin's singing in Spanish, but then I also like Marc Anthony, Ricky Martin, Ruben Blades, and David Archie.

Edited by LennieB, Mar 15, 2013 @ 9:44 AM.

Kromm

Kromm

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2013 @ 3:31 PM

The gist is that Nicki probably will COMMENT when he changes pattern, telling him he'd better "stay in his lane" or worse, and there's a deep and well proven track record on this show that when a judge who originally propped up a contest starts criticizing a contest, that the voting suffers.

Surprisingly it was the OTHERS who complained that Devin left his stupid cliched usual lane and Nicki who stood up for him. I'm wondering maybe if Nicki reads more social media (and maybe this board), whereas I'd bet cash money that the others don't (well, except maybe their own Twitters).

I also fear that the talent vacuum named Lazaro is leaching some of Devin's votes. People buy into Lazaro's sympathy vote thing, and he also draws from the common pool of Hispanic voting, and so Lazaro and his crappy performance gets 4th place and Devin's infinitely better one (assaulted by the judges turning on him) gets 2nd to last. Like that should have ever happened? Nuh uh.

BogoGog24

BogoGog24

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 16, 2013 @ 8:51 PM

Devin is the only guy I like. I agree he is definitely sooo underrated. He should NOT have gotten 2nd place. As much as I'd like for him to stick around, at least to the top 5, sadly I think if this week was any indication, he may get voted off sooner than that. I'd love a Kree/Devin finale but I doubt that will happen. Unfortunately Lazaro is sucking up most of Devin's votes. Can't believe he got 4th, even higher than Amber. Perhaps if Devin picks something more modern he will get more votes. That seems to be peoples' main problem with him is that he sings songs that are too old and doesn't have enough "moments" as Randy would say (aka doing unnecessary runs and melismas on every word) But then that is also why so many people like him, is for his smooth and subtle vocal delivery.

Sparkling Beth

Sparkling Beth

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 17, 2013 @ 4:26 PM

I wasn't planning to do any voting this year, but after seeing Devin come in next to last, I've decided to start voting for him. He has the best voice of any of the guys, in my opinion, and he deserves to stay in the competition longer. Song choice may have been what did him in this past week, and if so, I hope he makes better choices in upcoming shows, but regardless, it will be a travesty if he is the next person to be voted out. Lazaro is cute and seems like a nice guy, but vocally he doesn't hold a candle to Devin. I don't think Burnell or Paul are as good either.

Ohwell

Ohwell

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2013 @ 4:44 PM

I agree about Devin and I definitely think he deserves to stay over the rest of the guys. I'll be voting for him this week.

yourpointis

yourpointis

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2013 @ 7:49 PM

Perfect - P!nk cover

I wonder if he will perform any songs accompaning himself with a guitar or if TPTB will find a way around that. He's definitely peaked my interest this year. I'm more interested in what he's willing to perform more so than any of the girls besides Kree.

BogoGog24

BogoGog24

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 18, 2013 @ 12:15 PM

YourPointIs- Devin has mentioned on his Facebook I think that he plays guitar and I think piano as well but hey- at least he isn't white! Maybe he can get away with it?

yourpointis

yourpointis

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2013 @ 2:55 PM

Sure hope so BogoGog24. I would love to see what he's willing and/or able to do on this show as long as he's not hampered by TPTB's manipulations.

cubbie5150

cubbie5150

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 18, 2013 @ 9:54 PM

I instantly felt sorry for Devin once I identified him as my favorite vocalist out of the guys during Hollywood Week... I knew then that he wouldn't last long once live shows hit. I'm hoping he can be the heretofore rare one to survive my unintentional curse, but unless he kills it &/or another guy blows it, my prediction of him having no shot at the top 5 (in the 2nd post of this thread) will likely come true this week.

larme

larme

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 21, 2013 @ 6:51 AM

That Pink cover is nice, I hope he gets to do something like that on the show - a recent-ish song with his guitar.

Ohwell

Ohwell

Fanatic

Posted Mar 21, 2013 @ 8:25 PM

Surely, Devin must know by now that he needs to sing an uptempo song next week, right?

yourpointis

yourpointis

Fanatic

Posted Mar 24, 2013 @ 1:33 AM

Someone posted in the top 9 performance thread that Devin stated in an interview that his first choice for Beatles week was Come Together. I honestly don't know what led up to him performing his third choice (not going to go all grassy knoll on this lol). Hopefully if he manages to stay on the show, the song choices will become better ones. Fingers crossed.

Habeas Corpus

Habeas Corpus

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 24, 2013 @ 2:45 PM

Surely, Devin must know by now that he needs to sing an uptempo song next week, right?

It's his only chance to edge out Amber. He's so old-fashioned and boring that even great vocals won't save him. He's like Pia Toscano 2.0. But then, so is Amber, so who knows.

slowpoked

slowpoked

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2013 @ 12:11 PM

So it seems Devin has been engaging in some twitter war with Miss Minaj:

<snip>

The outspoken Minaj did not hold back in her response to the ousted contestant's comments, taking to Twitter to fire back at him. She wrote, "Lol (Laughing out loud). Be mad at AMERICA when u get sent home. The JUDGES are the ones who FOUGHT for America to get the opp to vote for you, remember? ... Trust me BEW BEW. If EYE (I) didn't want you in that TOP, YOU wouldn't have been in that TOP. Fought for ALL of You. So just simply be gracious ... Jennifer Hudson didn't win!!! Oscar Winner! Remember??? ok. Take that exposure and let your light shine." Velez later took the microblogging site to respond but quickly removed the post that read: "That moment when an adult stoops down to the 3rd grade level...LOL grow up Hun, I've got songs to write. Moving Forward."

More here

LennieB

LennieB

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2013 @ 5:39 PM

Devin Velez: Cutting Off His Proverbial Nose to Spite His Face.

ari333

ari333

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2013 @ 6:35 PM

Devin: "Minaj was mad because she was on time." hee

BootStar

BootStar

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 4, 2013 @ 1:02 PM

I so liked this kid; was very sorry to see him go last week.

I thought Devin was, by far, the most talented, personable and charming of any of the guys this season. And I also think he acquitted himself quite admirably in this TV Line interview with Michael Slezak:

http://tvline.com/20...erview-idology/