TWoP Tennison

TWoP Moderator

Posted Mar 9, 2013 @ 9:55 AM

Angie Miller

Kromm

Kromm

Fanatic

Posted Mar 11, 2013 @ 6:37 PM

I know there's a backlash based on her looking a bit like Miley Cyrus. And another one, because the show pimped her so hard, so early, and that digs in and fucks with minds and perceptions.

But I still like her. Her "Celebration Round" performance was lacking, but it was still better than what a few others did, and I genuinely think the other performances she's had since her original song were still at least okay. I mean I loathe Colton Dixon as much as the next person, but she delivered a tolerable version of that song.

waving feather

waving feather

Fanatic

Posted Mar 13, 2013 @ 5:03 AM

I like Angie. She's not the best singer of the bunch (Candice, Burnell, Amber and Kree are slightly more skilled than her) but her voice and tone is second to none in my opinion. She sounds good both in the high and the low notes. And one big thing she has going for her is her connection to songs she sings. People complain about her perma-smile but she never did smile her way through songs inappropriately. And sometimes I don't think she can stop her teeth from showing because let's face it, she has very big ones.

Strange, but the performance which made me a fan is her victory song into Top 10. She sounds far from perfect but she sang it with so much conviction (like she has already won the whole thing) that I was tearing up along with Keith.

Grasonville

Grasonville

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 13, 2013 @ 7:43 PM

Am I the only one who sees a young Caroline Kennedy in a weird wig?

RoisterDoister

RoisterDoister

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 13, 2013 @ 10:18 PM

Am I the only one who sees a young Caroline Kennedy in a weird wig?

To me she looks like what would happen if Caroline Kennedy had a baby with Donny Osmond

MarySNJ

MarySNJ

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 14, 2013 @ 11:20 AM

Meh. I find Angie irritating for reasons I can't even fully articulate. Her hair bugs me, her overly-studied performance style, her song choices.... She just bugs. And maybe I'm the only one, but I didn't love her original song in Hollywood. I respect that she is a songwriter but that one seemed to meander too much. Having said that, she has a good voice. I like Kree and Candice better as singers, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Angie win it.

Nedsdag

Nedsdag

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 15, 2013 @ 11:39 PM

When I look at her, I see the following people and not in a positive way:

• Miley Cyrus circa. 2008
  • Katy Perry
  • Marie Osmond
  • Princess Beatrice
  • Sara Bareilles
  • Arsenio Hall
  • Mister Ed
  • An extra from The Walking Dead

I get that she's a songwriter, but I cannot watch her sing. She scares the hell out of me. Plus, since she's from one of the worst places for an AI contestant to be from (New England), I don't see her winning this thing. I see her surpassing her Massachusetts homegirl Siobhan Magnus in the final rankings, but that's it.

Edited by Nedsdag, Mar 16, 2013 @ 2:32 AM.

MarkHB

MarkHB

Stalker

Posted Mar 20, 2013 @ 1:20 PM

The way the top 10 came out, Angie's my favorite; Amber and Candace have potential if they get around to singing something I'd actually want to replay on the radio. Why do all these girls keep singing like they want to be the next Whitney and few to none sing like they want to be the next Beyonce?

Nedsdag, is your evaluation of New England as one of the "worst places" for a contestant to be from based strictly on the (admittedly poor) track record, or do you have more to go on than that?

Nedsdag

Nedsdag

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 20, 2013 @ 2:39 PM

Nedsdag, is your evaluation of New England as one of the "worst places" for a contestant to be from based strictly on the (admittedly poor) track record, or do you have more to go on than that?

The poor track record.

See Brown, Ayla (Massachusetts), Stevens, Katie (Connecticut), Van Pelt, Erika (Rhode Island), and of course, Magnus, Siobhan (Massachusetts as well).

MarkHB

MarkHB

Stalker

Posted Mar 20, 2013 @ 10:29 PM

Thanks; I thought you meant that but I wasn't sure if you had some other thoughts behind it as well. I will say that Katie Stevens, who was particularly set upon by the show as they kept telling her to be younger, more current, etc. as the show went through Beatles Week, Elvis Week, Rolling Stones Week and Rat Pack Week, was a lot more interesting on the tour than she was on the show.

According to WP, the only other New England finalist was Julia DeMato (Conn.), S2 10th place.

I'll also throw in an honorable mention for Jessica Cunningham, from Portland, Maine, who was the odd girl out in the last pairing on the chair episode 2 years in a row.

MrSarahWalker

MrSarahWalker

Fanatic

Posted Mar 21, 2013 @ 1:16 PM

While I think there is validity to contestants from the soouth having an advantage in voting, I also think its important to note that of the contestants from New England, none of them were very good. Siobhan showed some real potential but struggled mightily right before her exit. I don't think any contestants from the area got off to as good a start as Angie is off too. Of course Angie may be sliding just a touch after this Beatles week but I think its still safe to call her a major contender.

Kitty Van

Kitty Van

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 21, 2013 @ 1:17 PM

Angie's giving me a trying-too-hard/theatre girl/false humility/Anne Hathaway vibe. DO. NOT. LIKE.

Nedsdag

Nedsdag

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 23, 2013 @ 7:10 PM

I think the phrase used to describe her is "pageantry." I agree, but I would add a dash of Rachel Berry from "Glee" because her blatantly ambitious side is becoming extremely obvious. Even Jimmy isn't a fan.

Habeas Corpus

Habeas Corpus

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 24, 2013 @ 2:54 PM

I see her surpassing her Massachusetts homegirl Siobhan Magnus in the final rankings, but that's it.

I believe she's the most talked-about contestant on the internet at the moment. That practically means finals.

Cherry Wire

Cherry Wire

Fanatic

Posted Mar 26, 2013 @ 10:16 PM

Angie also has the advantage that if anyone from the South wants to vote for the contestant from their neck of the woods, they have to pick between Kree/Candice/Amber/Burnell/Janelle/Paul, whereas if anyone from the Northeast wants to do likewise, it's all Angie.

I wouldn't be surprised if she wins. She's young and photogenic. The teenyboppers will see her as one of them in a way they never will with Kree and Candice. If she raises her game even a little, she'll rocket past them.

LennieB

LennieB

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2013 @ 7:16 AM

That would be Florida's Lazaro, not the eliminated Paul. :-)

MarkHB

MarkHB

Stalker

Posted Mar 28, 2013 @ 5:27 AM

I don't care what Nikki thinks, I liked Angie last night and hope she does more up-tempo songs!

Incidentally, Beverly, Mass. isn't exactly Oliver Springs, Tennessee. It's a toney suburb of Boston which was once considered so upscale that a California developer named a project after one of its neighborhoods, calling it Beverly Hills. I'm not sure she's going to get the same level of hometown attention that Janelle is.

Edited because I know "it's" from "its", at least sometimes.

Edited by MarkHB, Mar 28, 2013 @ 5:27 AM.

sandyeggo622

sandyeggo622

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 4, 2013 @ 7:23 PM

I don't understand why the judges want her to play the piano all the time, ok, so she knows how to play, that does not mean that she should be stuck to it every week..

MrSarahWalker

MrSarahWalker

Fanatic

Posted Apr 5, 2013 @ 3:44 PM

I don't understand why the judges want her to play the piano all the time, ok, so she knows how to play, that does not mean that she should be stuck to it every week..

Angie is either playing this perfectly or terribly. At some point (probably this week) she's going to pull the piano out and she's either going to rocket back to the top or dissapoint. She may have made the mistake of ignoring the piano for so long that it built up unrealistic expectations for when she goes back.

Just as a prediction. I think if Angie gets to the finale, she'll win it with a repeat performance of her original.

KikiinAZ

KikiinAZ

Just Tuned In

Posted May 2, 2013 @ 11:48 PM

Ugh. Another week of the high heel boot shoes.

ari333

ari333

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2013 @ 10:38 AM

Agreed. I too am tired of seeing high heel boot shoes, and I'll add, leather shorts, leg glaze, and the boink gaze.

MrSarahWalker

MrSarahWalker

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2013 @ 3:51 PM

Honestly, I think Angie has been the best styled finalist of the top 4. I hope this weeks critiques draw her attention to her tendency to stare too much into the camera. I think that is one of her biggest problems in the competition.

denimsky

denimsky

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 5, 2013 @ 2:32 PM

Angie Miller "You Set Me Free" on Idols Tour from Orlando, Florida, 8/1/13

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=7t0KGot-pV4

I thought this black and white video was especially stunning of  Angie.  Her voice sounds very beautiful; and she looks beautiful.  She seems alot more natural than she used to be in her performances.  I had changed my mind about her towards the end of the season.  I don't know her label status- but if anyone else gets signed, I think it will be her.  She seems to have the most videos from the Idols Tour that fans of hers post.  Far as I have seen, there is no buzz or much excitement for the winner or runner-up or the Idols Tour in general.  But I hope Angie can get a chance for a first album with a record label.  She is very talented.

denimsky

denimsky

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 10, 2013 @ 8:41 AM

Angie "Mama Knows Best" from Patriot Center in Fairfax, VA, 8/9/13-

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=uYsPsSuf47A

I looked for a video from last night for all three top girls.  This is the only one out there so far- of Angie.  I feel really sorry for the top two.  There is no passion at all for this Idols Tour or the winner.

denimsky

denimsky

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 4, 2013 @ 5:53 PM

Angie singing "All Is Well" on 12/1 on the Christmas tour of the incomparable Michael W. Smith-

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=-PY2ltqZx4g

I thought she sang his exquisite song beautifully.