TWoP Tennison

TWoP Moderator

Posted Mar 9, 2013 @ 9:54 AM

Amber Holcomb

ArithAlphamale

ArithAlphamale

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 12, 2013 @ 8:34 AM

I love Amber, but she's destined to make a early exit if she continues to color within the lines on song choice. "My Funny Valentine", "I Believe In You & Me", & "I'm Every Woman"? Pretty girl, amazing legs, and no imagination whatsoever.

IF she sings another Whitney standard this week, I will be throwing all my votes to Candice.

atyleung

atyleung

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 14, 2013 @ 2:11 AM

Amber's voice is the type of voice that I love - strong and with a great range. It's definitely effortless for her...however, my issue is that it's almost TOO effortless. I love the sound of her voice, but I often find myself wishing she would stretch out phrases more and bring more emotion out of certain lyrics. IMO, she tends to toss those off because the singing is so easy for her.

Edited by atyleung, Mar 14, 2013 @ 2:12 AM.

Tasya

Tasya

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2013 @ 6:16 AM

I'm completely bored by her. I find her really snotty as well. I think that Amber has a good voice, but nothing special to go along with it. She's a pageant/competition type singer.

larme

larme

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 14, 2013 @ 12:02 PM

I'm completely bored by her. I find her really snotty as well. I think that Amber has a good voice, but nothing special to go along with it. She's a pageant/competition type singer.

This. Stale, uninspired song choices and expected performances. I've never seen her emote appropriately, I look at her and she just seems to be thinking "woohoo, I'm on American Idol!", which they're ALL thinking but I like a bit of depth with those vocal chops.

Ohwell

Ohwell

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2013 @ 3:35 PM

She can sing but her song choices leave me cold. Plus, she needs to ditch the red lipstick STAT! It makes her look old. I won't miss her when she's gone.

Kromm

Kromm

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2013 @ 6:54 PM

I found her "Moooooooment Like Theeeeeese" performance to be just as much of a low point as the original was. To me that song almost sunk Kelly Clarkson's career before it even began, at least creatively if not in sales, and yet the show (Randy in particular) is trying to pass off this turd of a song as a classic.

And Amber did the song no favors. It was a bad base to build on, but she didn't erect anything all that great upon it. The crowd standing O/judge acclaim to me all came off as the typical "Big Sounding Song Gets An Overreaction" thing. Whereas the bones of it, if looked at dispassionately, were weak and uninspired.

Make It So

Make It So

Stalker

Posted Mar 19, 2013 @ 7:43 AM

"Moooooooment Like Theeeeeese"

Ha!

I find Amber to be a decent singer (enunciation issues aside), but I agree that something is missing. Perhaps it's a richness that may come with more experience. Maybe her experience on the show and the mentoring will help her to develop her talent a bit.

I agree that the judges over-reacted to that performance - their reaction didn't even seem to match that of the audience.

Edited by Make It So, Mar 19, 2013 @ 7:47 AM.

aps817

aps817

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 21, 2013 @ 1:45 AM

I think her studio version of "She's Leaving Home" is stunning

http://www.youtube.c...&v=HADyvWYGkG4#!

Ohwell

Ohwell

Fanatic

Posted Mar 21, 2013 @ 4:14 PM

I've never heard that Beatles song before and I hope I never hear it again. Her voice sounds fine but that song was just awful.

MrSarahWalker

MrSarahWalker

Fanatic

Posted Mar 21, 2013 @ 4:29 PM

I think Amber is a perfect example why Theme Weeks are still necessary. I wasn't crazy about her song choice for Beatles week but it's still miles better then doing a Whitney re-tread. Thus far Amber has shown little to no imagination when it comes to song choice where there are no restraints. Forcing her to think outside the box can only make her better in my mind.

Raid Maze

Raid Maze

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 21, 2013 @ 9:28 PM

I'm starting to see a bit of a replay of something from way back in season one. There was a nice singer, Christina Christian, who some would say, Simon Cowell was crushing on. In any case, his critiques of Christina's performances never really mirrored what she was bringing and eventually, she was booted because the voters weren't invested in her as Simon was. This season, we see Jimmy talking up Amber weekly and her performances just aren't matching up. Someone like Kree can afford to coast through a theme week like this that almost all the contestants were uncomfortable with, but for someone like Amber, who's on the edge already, letting them see you blink is very damaging.

Edited by Raid Maze, Mar 21, 2013 @ 9:36 PM.

Tajeznah

Tajeznah

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 25, 2013 @ 8:33 PM

I love Amber - she is a cute Brown-skinned girl who has range & power. I appreciate that this year AI selected Black girls who don't sound like gospel singers - both Candice (who I also love) & Amber have what the late Whitney Houston had, pop appeal vocals. Sad that comments are assuming both might go the r&b route but honestly if either produced an album comparable to Adele's or the late Amy Winehouse's I doubt people would support them solely based on "other factors" that have nothing to do with their vocal ability.

Make It So

Make It So

Stalker

Posted Mar 27, 2013 @ 10:35 PM

She made me (and Keith Urban) tear up tonight. I forgave her usual diction issues tonight because I thought her vocal was great. While Candice is my fave, I think Amber may have topped her this week.

denimsky

denimsky

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 28, 2013 @ 8:36 AM

Amber's "Lately" was my favorite performance last night. Her voice- so very beautiful, rich, stunning on this song! Here is this exquisite performance-

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=arpVLEjY3Fw

She looked absolutely gorgeous last night too. She has now become my favorite singer from this season; and I would love to have an album from her the most.

I also thought her "She's Leaving Home" from last week was exceptional.

I don't think she has a chance of winning, as she doesn't seem to have as many fans. Is it because she is so beautiful, slim, tall...plus she has that voice? I believe there is a jealousy factor sometimes when someone seems to have it all; and that is why she doesn't have as many fans. Just my opinion.

Ohwell

Ohwell

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2013 @ 10:56 AM

I don't think jealousy is a factor with Amber. Sure, she's nice-looking but why does that make someone jealous of her? I just think she's in a group of female singers like Candace, Kree, and Angie (and yes, even Janelle has some appeal) where she's got some stiff competition.

denimsky

denimsky

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 4, 2013 @ 12:59 PM

Ohwell - I think that ongoing comments about Amber prove otherwise; and I think it's a real shame.

denimsky

denimsky

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 11, 2013 @ 4:11 PM

Amber's "I Say A Little Prayer" from last night-

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=5hMaD9cr-0s

I thought she had a beautiful vocal performance in this song and agreed with Keith Urban that she was like a summer breeze in this song. She looked so pretty too in her ice blue jumpsuit.

I also loved her "Love On Top" performance and thought she showed a lot of pizazz, although her vocals were the best on the first performance. I love her ballads the best, but found both of her performances last night delightful.

Ohwell

Ohwell

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2013 @ 5:31 PM

I hate "Love On Top," but that's fine if Amber loves the song so much she wishes she'd written it. *rolls eyes*
The raw shrimp confession didn't do her any favors though. Just ugh.

Edited by Ohwell, Apr 11, 2013 @ 5:31 PM.

denimsky

denimsky

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 11, 2013 @ 6:07 PM

Last night when Amber performed in shorts (how dare she show off those great legs again!) for "Love On Top" I had the feeling it would not go down well with all her many non-fans.

My only thoughts on Amber's cute and silly little opening segment about eating frozen shrimp was that it was sort of cute and silly.

Ohwell

Ohwell

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2013 @ 8:15 PM

Well, all I can say is that "great legs" are in the eye of the beholder, because my brother (the only male I know who's watches the show) thinks her legs are too skinny for his taste.

angelita100

angelita100

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2013 @ 9:53 PM

The shrimp wasn't raw, it was cooked. Yes it's a weird thing to like but not sure why it's so nasty.

Edited by angelita100, Apr 11, 2013 @ 9:53 PM.

Ohwell

Ohwell

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2013 @ 9:43 AM

OK, cooked shrimp. It was the frozen part that was weird to me. But hey, she doesn't breathe on me so I don't care.

LennieB

LennieB

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2013 @ 9:53 AM

With Lazaro. Heh.

Edited by LennieB, Apr 12, 2013 @ 9:54 AM.

angelita100

angelita100

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2013 @ 5:26 PM

That's actually prtty cute.

denimsky

denimsky

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 13, 2013 @ 8:49 AM

Here is one more beautiful performance from Amber this season that is one of my favorites, "My Funny Valentine"-

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=9AbSIFRu1_g

That's a sweet picture of Amber and Lazaro.

denimsky

denimsky

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 18, 2013 @ 5:46 PM

Amber's incandescent performance of "What Are You Doing the Rest of Your Life" was so very beautiful last night. It should be here too-

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Gofe3zBKhf0

Her stunning vocals and her aura of beautiful elegance made this a wow moment for me. She looked like she could be performing for the First Family at the White House.

Ohwell

Ohwell

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2013 @ 8:19 PM

The booty shorts have got to go.

BootStar

BootStar

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 20, 2013 @ 8:52 AM

I think Amber is both really beautiful and a great singer, a very rare combination on a show that purports itself to be about finding the next great "pop artist."

For all their fawning over the years for a "package artist," few have possessed both the looks and the talent to pull that off. (Carrie Underwood is the only one I can recall at this point.) I don't think Amber will win, but I can see why Jimmy Iovine is so high on her.

denimsky

denimsky

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 25, 2013 @ 11:13 AM

I loved Amber's gorgeous performance last night of "Power of Love"; she looked beautiful in her white/black ensemble. She looked like a star. Here is that stunning performance-

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=lPGqs-Sw1l0