12-16: "Semi-Finals: Top 10 Men" 2013.03.06

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

112 replies to this topic

ari333

ari333

Fanatic

Posted Mar 6, 2013 @ 10:02 PM

I don't care if Lazarro is milking the stuttering thing. I think his voice is beautiful and not so full of runs out the hoo-ha. He's cute; The camera loves him.

I'm over the churchy guy.

Phan

Phan

Fanatic

Posted Mar 6, 2013 @ 10:03 PM

It’s an XY night, so let’s brace ourselves for undeserved standing Os. Yay penises!

Elijah – He went slightly out of tune at the end of nearly every line. And with the falsetto. Sadly, this was a million times better than his first performance, but he grew from awful to somewhat passable. He reminds me of AJ Gil from the very first season, which is not a compliment.

Cortez – This song is strange: Bruno Mars thinks he’s The Police. At least it’s uptempo? The arrangement at points sounds like it was done on Mario Paint. Again, better than the last time he sang, but not by much. His voice is too strident. Nicki wanted to feel the conviction of his pelvic thrusts more.

Charlie – …o_O??? He’s totally going through. This is what pisses me off about this show: he should not have made it past last week, and if he’s completely devastated by critique now, it’s not going to pretty in another week or two. For another example see: Johnson, Zoanette.

Nick – His voice is very delicate and that song needs the strength at the ends of the phrases. If he’s going to stay true to the original arrangement, he needs to soar, not dance around the melody. He was the first guy to sing in tune completely.

Burnell – His tone is immaculate and his presence (thus far) has been a specific kind of graceful rarely seen on IDOL.

Paul – On pure talent alone, I’d put Paul through amongst these guys, plus he adds some diversity in a field of R&Bers. At the same time, he always appears that he’s straining to sing. He needs to sort out some better facial features while singing.

Lazaro – Performance by numbers; I didn’t get a sense of urgency or passion from that. It left me cold. Holy crap, Mariah critiqued him!

Curtis – Curtis delivered this performance with a lot of smarm. Plus, ugh, this song. I didn’t get it. Sit the fuck down, panel. What the fuck are they on tonight? He was decent, but not amazing.

Devin – And this is the difference: Curtis is mechanical, Devin feels the song and communicates it. Really strong voice, decent looking guy… he’s the only guy with the potential to upset the whole “a woman will win” thing. Nice of TPTB to mike his screeching mother, because the home audience totally needs that.

Vincent – Not as good as last week. Safe song choice. Shame. He may go home. Damn.

My Picks: Burnell, Devin, Vincent. Paul and Nick can fill out the other two spots but frankly I don’t care.
Logic Picks: Charlie, Lazaro, Paul, Curtis, Cortez. I have no idea.

I sort of don't care about anyone else on the men's side as long as Devin and Burnell make it. I loved Vincent last week and am rooting for him, but think he killed his chances tonight.

Edited by Phan, Mar 6, 2013 @ 10:22 PM.

miss chi chi

miss chi chi

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 6, 2013 @ 10:07 PM

6 girls...4 guys? 7 girls ..3 guys? Terrible night. Keith Urban for the win. He's lovely.

twitter

twitter

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 6, 2013 @ 10:10 PM

What the hell was up with Charlie Askew??

CK17

CK17

Fanatic

Posted Mar 6, 2013 @ 10:10 PM

I really have no idea which 5 are going through. Last night it was rather easy.

Best of the night was Burnell, really liking him this year. I think he's a lock along with Lazaro.

Do we really need an arrogant Joshua Ledet in Curtis? His voice should get him through, but he's really unlikeable. I'll be shocked if he doesn't get the save this year. Seems like a 8th or 9th place finish.

America's picks - Burnell, Lazaro, Devin, Nick, Curtis/Vincent. Probably lean towards Curtis, I don't think there's room for 2 gospel singers.

Elmer Fug

Elmer Fug

Fanatic

Posted Mar 6, 2013 @ 10:11 PM

Charlie thought he was swinging for the fences but he struck out big time. It was a risky song to sing and only Phil Collins could pull it off. Without a doubt, one of the worst performances I've ever seen. It was painful to watch and I was hoping a trap door would open to spare him anymore humiliation. Seeing him break down only tells me he would fold like a deck chair. The music industry has eaten and spitted out tougher.

Please add Bruno Mars to the list of artists to be banned on Idol.

Nick's version of Iris was so weak and lacked any emotion - zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Tween nation will be Elijah's saving grace.

Chocorokoroko

Chocorokoroko

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 6, 2013 @ 10:12 PM

Curtis can go. Just. No more. Don't care for Burnell or Cortez either.

Lazaro did great, even though I wanted more. He better stay. I'm giving 35/50 votes to him.

Gave 5 votes each to Devin, Paul, Vincent and Nick.

Nick probably had the most appealing performance. Good song, too. Wish he could sing out a bit more.

...uh, anyone know what happened to Charlie? Poor guy.

I honestly can't pick 5 definite Guys from tonight. My hope is: Lazaro, Vincent, Nick, Devin and MAYBE Paul.

Edited by Chocorokoroko, Mar 6, 2013 @ 10:13 PM.

proserpina65

proserpina65

Fanatic

Posted Mar 6, 2013 @ 10:13 PM

The word that came to mind while Burnell was singing was "tedious", and that pretty much sums up tonight. I loved Devin - his singing was effortless and beautiful. I really liked Nick and hope he gets through. I liked the beginning of Paul's song and agree with Keith that my appreciation of it came and went. Charlie was a total WTF, and that's from someone who actually used to like that Genesis song once upon a time. I sort of liked Vincent, and definitely can live with him making the finals if it means Curtis goes home - god, who knew it was possible to out-Lusky Stank the Lusky Stank, but boy does Curtis do it, and in the worst possible ways. Everyone else was just, well, tedious.

Let's just give the title to Kree now, and spend the rest of the season looking at/listening to Keith.

Edited by proserpina65, Mar 6, 2013 @ 10:16 PM.

ari333

ari333

Fanatic

Posted Mar 6, 2013 @ 10:13 PM

Cortez: I thought great song, "Locked Out of Heaven" by Bruno Mars; It's current. It's uptempo. Then it went all to hell.

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted Mar 6, 2013 @ 10:16 PM

ETA: Moved to the other thread.

Edited by vb68, Mar 6, 2013 @ 10:29 PM.

catpurrson

catpurrson

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 6, 2013 @ 10:17 PM

I'm sorry, but I live in America. I want to hear singers on American Idol singing ENGLISH. Anyone who doesn't won't get my vote.

rustyspigot

rustyspigot

Fanatic

• Interests:TV and Sarcasm. And I love the bitches.

Posted Mar 6, 2013 @ 10:18 PM

Was Paul Jolley always that flaming? I love it!

Anyway, at least they didn't go all ballad happy like the girls.

"I Believe I can Fly" as a song really needs to fly in to the sun. Hate it. Hate Curtis. And why were they canonizing him after it?

Charlie had quite the mini meltdown.

Elijah. Better hope for a wildcard.

Edited by rustyspigot, Mar 6, 2013 @ 10:21 PM.

ari333

ari333

Fanatic

Posted Mar 6, 2013 @ 10:20 PM

Devin Velez has a supportive mom who screams a lot.

He could be a keeper if he'd get away from the freaking ballads for once in a blue.

culturevulture73

culturevulture73

Fanatic

Posted Mar 6, 2013 @ 10:20 PM

I'm over the churchy guy.

And you're going to have to be more specific...because I'm tired of both of them.

The poor guy singing Bruno Mars should have strangled the back up guy singer. ETA: Cortez.

At least the song choices were more varied. I don't know what was up with Charlie but if people get to think Zonette should stay in, I can vote for him. I sure as hell wasn't expecting "Mama."

But Curtis singing "I Believe I can Fly" -yeah, that was on schedule.

Edited by culturevulture73, Mar 6, 2013 @ 10:23 PM.

mojoween

mojoween

Fanatic

Posted Mar 6, 2013 @ 10:21 PM

Curtis can go. Just. No more. Don't care for Burnell or Cortez either.

100% agree. Cortez sure is pretty though.

So many awful noises erupting from my TV tonight. And what the hell with Charlie? That was super duper uncomfortable and his outfit was horrendous.

twitter

twitter

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 6, 2013 @ 10:23 PM

Curtis can indeed go.

Minaj is a nutjob.

pigeon

pigeon

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 6, 2013 @ 10:23 PM

I'm sorry, but I live in America. I want to hear singers on American Idol singing ENGLISH. Anyone who doesn't won't get my vote.

You do know that there are a number of Americans who speak Spanish (among many other languages), right? I think Devin is lovely, and is smart to play to the Spanish speaking Americans watching and voting.

Edited by pigeon, Mar 6, 2013 @ 10:28 PM.

ari333

ari333

Fanatic

Posted Mar 6, 2013 @ 10:26 PM

I love the singing in other languages. If it were Italian or French or Arabic, etc, rather than (in this case) Spanish, I'd still find it lovely.

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted Mar 6, 2013 @ 10:28 PM

Man, the aftermath with Charlie was awkward as hell, and I could tell Seacrest was really nervous about it all coming to some sort of full on meltdown, but I couldn't turn away. I think that probably gets him through, though. Shouldn't be that way, but yeah I bet people feel for him.

Edited by vb68, Mar 6, 2013 @ 11:05 PM.

comosedice

comosedice

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 6, 2013 @ 10:29 PM

I loved that Devin chose to do his song in English and Spanish. I think it is great that he is trying to appeal to both the English and Spanish-speaking American audience. I also thought the first guy who sang that Rihanna song was good, but going first may work against him.

twitter

twitter

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 6, 2013 @ 10:30 PM

I enjoyed the Spanish lyrics. Side note for comparison: Zoanette sang part of her performance in Swahili (or was it Zulu? I am hesitant to guess) but it somehow, if only subtly, added to the ambiance/nuance of the song (for me)... as does the Spanish.

Petunia

Petunia

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 6, 2013 @ 10:32 PM

Vincent was my favorite by far last week, but this week's performance (and I think it was the song choice and loud band and backup) was a whole different thing. I still want him to go through, though.

Can Burnell lose the hat already?

I felt so bad for Charlie. Obviously something was upsetting him before he even started getting criticism.

Phan

Phan

Fanatic

Posted Mar 6, 2013 @ 10:33 PM

Its an XY night, so lets brace ourselves for undeserved standing Os. Yay penises!

Elijah He went slightly out of tune at the end of nearly every line. And with the falsetto. Sadly, this was a million times better than his first performance, but he grew from awful to somewhat passable. He reminds me of AJ Gil from the very first season, which is not a compliment.

Cortez This song is strange: Bruno Mars thinks hes The Police. At least its uptempo? The arrangement at points sounds like it was done on Mario Paint. Again, better than the last time he sang, but not by much. His voice is too strident. Nicki wanted to feel the conviction of his pelvic thrusts more.

Charlie o_O??? Hes totally going through. This is what pisses me off about this show: he should not have made it past last week, and if hes completely devastated by critique now, its not going to pretty in another week or two. For another example see: Johnson, Zoanette.

Nick His voice is very delicate and that song needs the strength at the ends of the phrases. If hes going to stay true to the original arrangement, he needs to soar, not dance around the melody. He was the first guy to sing in tune completely.

Burnell His tone is immaculate and his presence (thus far) has been a specific kind of graceful rarely seen on IDOL.

Paul On pure talent alone, Id put Paul through amongst these guys, plus he adds some diversity in a field of R&Bers. At the same time, he always appears that hes straining to sing. He needs to sort out some better facial features while singing.

Lazaro Performance by numbers; I didnt get a sense of urgency or passion from that. It left me cold. Holy crap, Mariah critiqued him!

Curtis Curtis delivered this performance with a lot of smarm. Plus, ugh, this song. I didnt get it. Sit the fuck down, panel. What the fuck are they on tonight? He was decent, but not amazing.

Devin And this is the difference: Curtis is mechanical, Devin feels the song and communicates it. Really strong voice, decent looking guy hes the only guy with the potential to upset the whole a woman will win thing. Nice of TPTB to mike his screeching mother, because the home audience totally needs that.

Vincent Not as good as last week. Safe song choice. Shame. He may go home. Damn.

My Picks: Burnell, Devin, Vincent. Paul and Nick can fill out the other two spots but frankly I dont care.
Logic Picks: Charlie, Lazaro, Paul, Curtis, Cortez. I have no idea.

I sort of don't care about anyone else on the men's side as long as Devin and Burnell make it. I loved Vincent last week and am rooting for him, but think he killed his chances tonight.

Chocorokoroko

Chocorokoroko

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 6, 2013 @ 10:36 PM

[size=2]rustyspigot - I doubt there's even a calling for a Wild Card anyway. It irks me though; I don't want our Top 10 to be definite right after tomorrow, because that's our permanent tour performers. I thought having a Top 13 made it easier to make extra cuts, and see who goes along well with the other group members.[/size]

ari333

ari333

Fanatic

Posted Mar 6, 2013 @ 10:36 PM

Vincent (imo) is over singing like crazy. Maybe too, he is trying too hard to have a contrived, "moment." He seems like a competent enough vocalist, but gees - take the special effects down a notch or 20.

LennieB

LennieB

Fanatic

Posted Mar 6, 2013 @ 10:37 PM

Go, Laz! Then Elijah and Devin!

Man, Charlie's bait-and-switch act was bee-zarre! I retract every syllable heretofore about his chances!

contessakitty

contessakitty

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 6, 2013 @ 10:37 PM

I think that Charlie may have taken some advice from the wrong people or maybe too many people or maybe he took the advice the wrong way. He got thrown into the deep end and he might think that what he's doing is swimming but because he never has, he lacks that judgment and because of that he's actually drowning. He has a great voice but he has no sense of balance and I hope like hell he goes home tomorrow because the longer he stays the harder he'll plummet whenever he does get sent home.

ari333

ari333

Fanatic

Posted Mar 6, 2013 @ 10:45 PM

Bandzilla is inconsistent as to with whom they strike.

Mycenaeus

Mycenaeus

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 6, 2013 @ 10:45 PM

Tonight proved that the panic over the guys not having any talent was a bit premature.

Best of the night:
1. Burnell- his voice and phrasing are so distinct. This was the most emotionally connected song of the night. I like how he can deliver emotion without doing vocal gymnastics.
2. Devin- I love his calm and confident demeanor. He is so unassuming, then he opens his mouth and...wow. I'm worried that he will now sing half of every song in Spanish.

Needs some work, but should go through:
3. Paul- Keith is right. His voice is so pleasant when he is not forcing anything. I hope he makes it through, but my gaydar was pinging through that whole interview with Ryan. I imagine the group that would normally vote for the cute white guy might be a bit put off but I really want him to go through.
4. Nick- He was good at the piano. He made the song his own and I love the delicacy in his voice.
5. Lazaro- is the opposite of current. I wish Keith would have asked him what genre he planned to sing in, because his song choices are all over the place. But tonight was the best I've heard him since his audition. Kudos to Mimi for daring to critique him.

The good but bad:
6. 7. Curtis and Vince- OK. They can sing- that's undeniable. But I can't with the melisma. It's too much. The over singing is just nauseating with these two. If we have to suffer through one of them, then I hope it's Vince. Given the major pimping tonight, it will probably be Curtis though. I don't see either going far.
8. Cortez- is a good singer. He doesn't seem to know what to do with himself. The only good thing about this song was that it was uptempo. He needs the same advice Paul needs, which is just let the smoothness of your voice do the work for you. Bad song choices are derailing this guy, who otherwise has the package. He is why they invent wild cards.

The just plain bad:
9. Elijah- Rihanna is not a very good singer. So when you sound worse than she does on a song that even she was able to handle, that is cause for concern. I really hope the tween vote does not keep him in.
10. Charlie- This pains me. He has such potential. If he could somehow find his way back to "Nature Boy" Charlie, then he can still redeem himself.

The judges were on point tonight. I agreed with most of what they were saying. Mariah is getting better at critiques, but there's not enough time. They really should have went with a 3 person panel.

Edited by Mycenaeus, Mar 6, 2013 @ 10:59 PM.

justcarol

justcarol

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 6, 2013 @ 10:47 PM

Random thoughts:

Cortez, this is "American Idol," not "Gap Model."

All Charlie needed to complete his ensemble tonight was a field hockey skirt.

For me, Nick Boddington looks like a burn victim.

Is Ryan going to pimp his radio show every week? Did you hear that he has a radio show?