Spies in Disguise: The Americans Cast in Other Roles

• Please log in to reply

20 replies to this topic

TWoP Lockley

TWoP Lockley

TWoP Moderator

Posted Mar 6, 2013 @ 1:56 PM

Talk about other parts, past and present that our current Russian spies have taken on.

ethanvahlere

ethanvahlere

Stalker

Posted Mar 6, 2013 @ 2:33 PM

Keri Russell, of course, is probably still best known as Felicity, but she did prove her action chops in the otherwise forgettable (for me) Mission Impossible III, and I also liked her a lot in Waitress. I never watched Brothers & Sisters, so I'm not familiar with Matthew Rhys; he was in two movies I saw, Elizabeth and Titus, but I don't remember him in it. Noah Emmerich is, of course, a fine character actor who I've enjoyed as such films as Beautiful Girls, The Truman Show, Cellular and Fair Game (where he played a CIA agent). Also, he's been in every film Gavin O'Connor (Tumbleweeds, Miracle, Pride and Glory and Warrior) has directed, which comes into play since O'Connor directed the pilot of this show. Finally, while Margo Martindale has become well known recently for her recurring character Mags Bennett on Justified, she's done quite a lot of TV and film work in character roles. For the films, my favorites are Lorenzo's Oil, Nobody's Fool, Ride with the Devil, Paris, Je T'aime (she's in the last segment, which is one of the best), The Savages and Win Win.

Solea

Solea

Fanatic

Posted Mar 7, 2013 @ 12:54 PM

@genevieveredux posted this in the Phillip Jennings thread. Terrific!

Think Tank

jb0495

jb0495

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 9, 2013 @ 5:00 PM

I was always surprised that MR wasn't Emmy nominated for Brothers & Sisters, he brought so much depth to Kevin.

Here are 2 clips of an episode of B&S that he directed..

In Part 1, if you skip to 8:45-- it's where he really shines & his accent comes out a bit :) http://www.youtube.c...h?v=yPiTN65DqBI

Part 2: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=w4TePgSap7g

This is another episode that he is great in...his husband Scotty cheats on him...skip to 9:00 & it showcases MR.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=72IW4jfgGGU

I'm really hoping that he grows/has his natural beard for some episodes of The Americans...it makes him look even better looking!

Irlandesa

Irlandesa

Fanatic

Posted Mar 9, 2013 @ 9:06 PM

Derek Luke was just cast in the Second Sight adaptation. I'm happy for him but I hope it doesn't mean we'd lose Gregory for good.

GenevieveRedux

GenevieveRedux

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 10, 2013 @ 7:30 AM

Highly enjoyable clips of Matthew Rhys in The Lost World (2001)

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=JKbmXe8jAfk

Another scene from same show

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=6-pNTQbQK7M

dynamic17

dynamic17

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 10, 2013 @ 4:19 PM

Noah Emmerick also played a thuggish FBI agent on White Collar.

Mars477

Mars477

Fanatic

Posted Mar 12, 2013 @ 2:10 AM

There's a bit of chatter about people initially not being able to buy Keri Russell as a kickass KGB officer because of her role in Felicity. Well, that show was just slightly before my time, so my first exposure to Russell was in Mission Impossible III, where she played Lindsey Ferris, an IMF agent who in her maybe ten minutes of screentime was was more badass and a more completely realized character than the female lead/civilian love interest and the female member of Ethan Hunt's team combined. So, yeah, I'm not exactly a stranger to Keri Russell playing a badass, haha.

And badass she is. Nearly jumped out of my skin when she started beating on Mags.

BW Manilowe

BW Manilowe

Fanatic

Posted May 28, 2013 @ 4:24 PM

According to Michael Ausiello at TVLine.com, Matthew Rhys has landed the role of Mr. Darcy--a character from Pride and Prejudice--in the BBC's upcoming 3-part production of Death Comes to Pemberley, which is based on the suspense novel by PD James & centers on 3 of author Jane Austen's iconic characters: Elizabeth Bennet, George Wickham, & Mr. Darcy.

Playing Elizabeth & George will be Anna Maxwell Martin & Matthew Goode. The production is timed to coincide with the 200th anniversary of Pride and Prejudice.

http://tvline.com/20...s-to-pemberley/

Edited 'cause I gave the same character 2 names & didn't catch it before posting. Sorry!

Edited by BW Manilowe, May 28, 2013 @ 5:27 PM.

Hal25

Hal25

Couch Potato

Posted May 28, 2013 @ 4:29 PM

According to Michael Ausiello at TVLine.com, Matthew Rhys has landed the role of Mr. Percy--a character from Pride and Prejudice--in the BBC's upcoming 3-part production of Death Comes to Pemberley, which is based on the suspense novel by PD James & centers on 3 of author Jane Austen's iconic characters: Elizabeth Bennet, George Wickham, & Mr. Darcy.

Playing Elizabeth & George will be Anna Maxwell Martin & Matthew Goode. The production is timed to coincide with the 200th anniversary of Pride and Prejudice.

http://tvline.com/20...s-to-pemberley/

I believe from the article I read somewhere else that he's actually going to be Mr. Darcy himself. That would be neat to see, especially since he can use something closer to his actual accent.

BW Manilowe

BW Manilowe

Fanatic

Posted May 28, 2013 @ 5:25 PM

I believe from the article I read somewhere else that he's actually going to be Mr. Darcy himself. That would be neat to see, especially since he can use something closer to his actual accent.

Thank you for pointing out my boo-boo; much appreciated! I don't know how I said Mr. Percy in 1 place & (the correct) Mr. Darcy in the other place. I proofread at least twice before posting & still didn't catch it. And I'm going to correct the error (& screw up your quote above [laughs]) as soon as I finish this post.

I wonder if maybe this might eventually air here on BBCAmerica, as well as on whichever BBC network airs it in the UK? As you said, it would be neat to see something where Matthew gets to use his natural accent--or something close to it, anyway--besides really brief interviews & snippets of interviews about the show, & besides that brief phrase in Only You, I think, where Phillip & the kids were watching Wild Kingdom, or another nature program, on his hotel room TV & he mimicked the show's host, but described the family's dinner locating abilities, using a British accent.

I don't know when this will film, but I'm assuming it'll be before the show returns to production for S2. He's still got a few months available for outside work, I'd think. Depending on production requirements, most shows don't start shooting until maybe 2-3 months ahead of the scheduled season premiere date. So if they're premiering in January, maybe filming starts in September or October sometime--also taking into account the number of holidays around that time of year when filming would normally be suspended (Thanksgiving, Christmas, perhaps at least some of Hanukkah & New Year's). Matthew could probably easily get this done before the show resumes production this Fall (probably).

Anyway, thanks again for catching my name error!

Sister Magpie

Sister Magpie

Fanatic

Posted May 28, 2013 @ 7:25 PM

So Mr. is going to be Mr. Darcy and isn't Keri Russell in Austenland where she plays a Jane Austen fangirl?

Hal25

Hal25

Couch Potato

Posted May 28, 2013 @ 7:47 PM

I don't know when this will film, but I'm assuming it'll be before the show returns to production for S2. He's still got a few months available for outside work, I'd think. Depending on production requirements, most shows don't start shooting until maybe 2-3 months ahead of the scheduled season premiere date. So if they're premiering in January, maybe filming starts in September or October sometime--also taking into account the number of holidays around that time of year when filming would normally be suspended (Thanksgiving, Christmas, perhaps at least some of Hanukkah & New Year's). Matthew could probably easily get this done before the show resumes production this Fall (probably).

Indeed! I think it would be neat on several levels to see him do something with his real accent (although, I guess I'm not sure how close Mr. Darcy's "native" accent would be to a Welsh accent, or if he'd have to alter his real accent for that too.) He said in an interview somewhere that he has to use a big part of his thinking to change his accent at all times, so it would be interesting to see him without that hindrance in the way.

I think they said somewhere the miniseries was two hours? Or three? and that it starts filming next month. So that would hopefully work out just fine. I'd love to see this and hope it will air over here eventually too.

BW Manilowe

BW Manilowe

Fanatic

Posted May 28, 2013 @ 10:01 PM

Indeed! I think it would be neat on several levels to see him do something with his real accent (although, I guess I'm not sure how close Mr. Darcy's "native" accent would be to a Welsh accent, or if he'd have to alter his real accent for that too.) He said in an interview somewhere that he has to use a big part of his thinking to change his accent at all times, so it would be interesting to see him without that hindrance in the way.

I think they said somewhere the miniseries was two hours? Or three? and that it starts filming next month. So that would hopefully work out just fine. I'd love to see this and hope it will air over here eventually too.

However much thinking it takes Matthew to pull off an American accent, I think he did a very good job of it in Brothers & Sisters, & I think he does an even better job of it in The Americans. Although yeah, he still does sort of use a normally non-American pronunciation on at least a couple of words, that I've noticed. 1 of them is "Secretary"--which most Americans would tend to say as "sec-re-tear-e", but Matthew says, in character, as "sec-re-tree", basically, which is the usual UK pronunciation. Right now I'm having a brain fart on the other word he hasn't quite been able to pronounce correctly as Americans would, but I'm pretty sure someone else (maybe you?) pointed it out here, either in Phillip's character thread or the appropriate episode thread where it was mispronounced.

I would guess that maybe switching merely to another UK native language might not take as much thinking--since his native language is also from the UK & not from outside it--but I don't really know.

The Ausiello/TVLine item I linked to just said that the program is 3 parts, but not how many hours long it is; each part could be an hour, or it might be longer. It also didn't specify a start date for shooting. So anything you may have read may have had a different source than Ausiello, or they both had the same source (like a press release) & each used different parts of it & left some parts out, perhaps.

If it doesn't end up airing here via BBCAmerica, maybe PBS might air it, I was thinking. They like to air "literary" types of productions like this, many of which usually originate in the UK/on the BBC. Or at least they used to. Guess we'll see.

Edited by BW Manilowe, May 28, 2013 @ 10:05 PM.

Hal25

Hal25

Couch Potato

Posted May 29, 2013 @ 6:49 AM

Great, thanks for all the info! You're so good at finding links and the scoop on what's coming up.

I think "electricity" was the other one that came out kind of different... but really, I think it even kind of fits the character. You get little hints that "Philip" speaks like someone who learned a language correctly, even if he usually tries to make it sound authentically American.

BW Manilowe

BW Manilowe

Fanatic

Posted May 29, 2013 @ 2:00 PM

Great, thanks for all the info! You're so good at finding links and the scoop on what's coming up.

I think "electricity" was the other one that came out kind of different... but really, I think it even kind of fits the character. You get little hints that "Philip" speaks like someone who learned a language correctly, even if he usually tries to make it sound authentically American.

Aww... You're welcome. You're really good at finding stuff too.

Anyway... Back on topic. You're right. The other word Matthew said kind of oddly, for someone who's supposed to be a native born American, is "electricity". Thanks for that. If I remember correctly, he said "el-ec-tricity" instead of the usual "e-lec-tricity". Which, again, is a pretty normal pronunciation of it by most/all UK natives.

I agree. It (fumbling those 2 words) still works for the character, given that neither Phillip nor Matthew is a native speaker of US English, & it also works even more for Phillip (to me) given that he isn't even a native speaker of *any* form of English--though he's supposed to be a native American as part of his cover.

What I mean there is, no matter how perfectly he supposedly has/thinks he has down the regional type of English that would be spoken wherever Phillip was supposedly born, mixed with that of the DC area where he lives, he's still possibly not gonna get some words completely perfectly, all the time or ever. So those "stumbles" on "secretary" & "electricity" still work for me as non-jarring parts of Phillip's character. They do take me out of character yes, for a few seconds, but then I rationalize them the way I said... which boils down to Phillip's really an "ESL" (English as a second language) speaker; no matter how much immersion training he's had in it, it's never gonna sound like he's a native speaker & be totally perfect--there will be words that'll sound a bit "off" for a native speaker.

And I wish they'd have Elizabeth fumble some of her English as well. In thinking about it, she hasn't yet. And now I wonder if it could be a way of again saying she was "top of her class", etc., in training while Phillip wasn't necessarily as perfect, though obviously good enough to be paired with Elizabeth for this mission.

Hal25

Hal25

Couch Potato

Posted May 29, 2013 @ 10:22 PM

And I wish they'd have Elizabeth fumble some of her English as well. In thinking about it, she hasn't yet. And now I wonder if it could be a way of again saying she was "top of her class", etc., in training while Phillip wasn't necessarily as perfect, though obviously good enough to be paired with Elizabeth for this mission.

Interestingly, I wondered if it was the opposite early on because when they show the flashbacks, Philip's English is always pretty unaccented (or at least it's the same as it's shown in the present day), but Elizabeth had more of a Russian accent at first. Like when she says, "Is it cool air?" she sounds very much like she still has remnants of an accent and it's a little unnatural not to use a contraction there. Philip sounds just like any old American guy both in accent and word choices.

But, that could also be because Keri would have an easier time assuming a Russian accent while speaking American English than Matthew would trying to suppress a Welsh accent, use an American accent, but flavor it with a Russian accent. So maybe in my mind I'm trying to make it fit, when there's perhaps just a real life reason for it, not necessarily a show reason.

BW Manilowe

BW Manilowe

Fanatic

Posted Jul 8, 2013 @ 7:23 PM

Awhile back it was brought up, in this thread, that Matthew would be portraying the character of Mr. Darcy from Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice in a drama to be filmed for the BBC, airing in time for the 100th anniversary of that literary work (if I'm not mistaken).

Today comes word--through a Tweet posted by The Hollywood Reporter--that Keri is, ironically, starring in an upcoming film (being released in August, I think the Tweet said) titled Austenland, in which she apparently plays a NY woman who's obsessed with Jane Austen's works, particularly Pride and Prejudice & the character of Mr. Darcy specifically, who goes to an English resort catering to women who are also "obsessed" with Jane Austen's works--Keri's character goes in hopes of finding her own Mr. Darcy (& I see, after posting, that Sister Magpie originally mentioned Austenland upthread).

How's that for irony?

The Tweet, I think with a trailer for Keri's film included, can be found here:

https://mobile.twitt...46964516864?p=v

Edited by BW Manilowe, Jul 8, 2013 @ 7:27 PM.

shotgunserenade

shotgunserenade

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 12, 2013 @ 6:26 PM

That movie looks cute! I also noticed that on Keri's imdb page it listed arrested development. I went back to watch the episode and she does a voice cameo as a widow of the realtor that was on. I'm guessing that she'll be used again, just because it seems so random.

Loandbehold

Loandbehold

Stalker

Posted Nov 22, 2013 @ 1:50 PM

Annet Mahendru (Nina) was on last night's White Collar. She played a Russian figure skater and girlfriend of the Russian mobster Peter and Neil were trying to take down.

Solea

Solea

Fanatic

Posted Dec 4, 2013 @ 5:53 PM

Trailer for Death Comes to Pemberley with Matthew Rhys.