4-9: "The Hatchet Tour" 2013.03.05

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

117 replies to this topic

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Mar 5, 2013 @ 11:02 PM

Boyd discovers he still has an Ellen-May problem, Raylan goes off-book to do some dynamite-fishing.

Must be nice being Nick Searcy. You come in for your one scene, knock it out of the park, spend the next six days at craft services.
Shelby being Drew was not a surprise, but somewhat disappointing. This show usually doesn't telegraph its punches like that.

benteen

benteen

Stalker

Posted Mar 5, 2013 @ 11:07 PM

Not as good as last week's episode and Shelby as Drew was obvious but I still thought this episode was pretty great.

How Boyd has remained oblivious to Colton I don't know. That's going to be his downfall. Nice to see Tim back and I wonder if he'll be shacking up with the preacher's sister. One thing though, why didn't he disarm Colton at the tent?

Shelby and Hunter sure look a lot a like. Great to have the Hunter actor back because he's terrific. Great stuff with Raylan, especially that last scene.

Must be nice being Nick Searcy. You come in for your one scene, knock it out of the park, spend the next six days at craft services.

Heheh. Yeah, I was thinking that too. I laughed when he told Tim not to be a smartass and berated the other agent. Looks like we'll be seeing more of Art next week thankfully.

Constable Bob's scene was pretty funny too.

ReadIshmael

ReadIshmael

Stalker

Posted Mar 5, 2013 @ 11:09 PM

If the show had waited another episode or two to reveal Shelby as Drew, I'd be annoyed at how they telegraphed it, but because they pulled the trigger on it so soon after it became clear, I actually like how they set it up last week.

Something about the way the Ellen May and Drew Thompson threads are and are not coming together is kind of frustrating me. I'm not sure what it is. Or maybe my big problem was Tim letting Colt go; he should have brought him in as a suspect, and something about that plot felt like it just got dropped instead of being left at a place that sets up future events, which made the Ellen May thing feel like an intrusion taking me away from some good Tim time.

Loved the scene with Boyd, Ava, and the realtor. The show is wearing its class consciousness really well.

Thought the shootout with Constable Bob was excessively silly. Otherwise I enjoyed every second of the A-plot. Brent Sexton is really great, and Raylan's cleverness and anger were both awesome to behold.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Mar 5, 2013 @ 11:11 PM

Hey, Constable Bob is the one who put the lightbulb over Raylan's head! Heh, Boyd is just kicking himself right now.

speedroc

speedroc

Fanatic

Posted Mar 5, 2013 @ 11:12 PM

Kudos to those that called Shelby as Drew. Isn't it ironic that Boyd was one of the many people looking for him when if not for Boyd saving him at the mine seasons ago, he would've already been dead?

Loved the guys fucking with Constable Bob to the point where he had to pull out the GO bag. As usual, we had another episode filled with awesome dialogue.

Art was in great form tonight, gotta rewatch for the precise lines.

deb50

deb50

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 5, 2013 @ 11:18 PM

I do hope Shelby scoops up Ellen may and they get a chance at a new life, never to be seen or heard from again.

Where is Rachel, and is this story ever going to pay off the story of her divorcing a husband who we never know she had?

babyblackcat

babyblackcat

Fanatic

Posted Mar 5, 2013 @ 11:27 PM

While they definitely laid out the clues for Shelby being Drew, especially in last week's, I was still slightly unsure when they were going to meet the other 2 guys, in case it turned out to be one of them. And even thought it did turn out to be Shelby, it didn't feel predictable in a boring way at all. Part of the fun was watching Raylan, and eventually Boyd, when they realized he'd been right under their noses the whole time.
LOVED Raylan hearing all the gunfire, and saying "Goddammit, Bob". As soon as Bob went for the go bag, I knew those guys were in trouble. I'm surprised he didn't have a rocket launcher or something in there.
Poor Shelby, having to escape in a shot up Gremlin.
I was starting to think Colton was going to get the Devil treatment. He probably will eventually.

Raylan and Tim doing their marshal strut at the end was pretty badass.

benteen

benteen

Stalker

Posted Mar 5, 2013 @ 11:27 PM

Where is Rachel, and is this story ever going to pay off the story of her divorcing a husband who we never know she had?

It seems like in order to give Tim more screentime, they had to subtract screentime from Rachel (and to a certain extent Art). The whole husband thing is still ridiculous.

Is Johnny still planning on betraying Boyd or does he realize that being with Boyd is a smart thing at the moment?

Edited by benteen, Mar 5, 2013 @ 11:28 PM.

Highness

Highness

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 6, 2013 @ 12:21 AM

The scene with Wynn Duffy in his "motorcoach" was so happy-making. Clever dialogue, crazy just slightly contained.

And I do love the reminiscences about Arlo, and how Raylan just sort of chewing it all over, working out what his daddy means to him.

thuganomics85

thuganomics85

Stalker

Posted Mar 6, 2013 @ 1:22 AM

So, as predicted, Shelby is Drew Thompson. I wished it wasn't telegraphed so much last episode; would have made the reveal much more awesome. Still, I'm hoping this will give Jim Beaver even more chances to shine. And I loved all the scenes between him, Raylan, and Hunter, because it was more scenes of former Deadwood guys just doing what they do best: being awesome actors.

So, all the Elle May stuff is in the fore-front as well. Looks like Boyd won't kill Colton or anything, but boy, is he pissed. Of course, Colton got other problems; mainly in the form of Tim. Tim telling Cassie that he wanted Colton's "eyes to be clear" when he finishes him, showed a brief side of the non-snarky, dark Tim. I can't wait to see how this plays out.

I didn't realize it, but I believe this was the first Raylan/Wynn Duffy scene of the season! Not quite as awesome as Raylan/Boyd, but those two together are golden as well. Loved how baffled Duffy was over the entire thing.

Hunter's still in trouble, right? Since Raylan said the deal is still off, that means the Dixie Mafia might still off him in prison? Harsh.

Art's one scene was hilarious. Oh, that silly marshal. I would feel bad for him, but that was pretty dumb. Rachel and Tim really are the only one Art can trust to have decent judgement. Poor Art is going to have a stroke if Raylan keeps this up.

Bob vs. Old Guys was silly, but it was worth it just for Raylan's reaction to the entire thing.

Edited by thuganomics85, Mar 6, 2013 @ 2:12 AM.

TiffanyNichelle

TiffanyNichelle

Fanatic

Posted Mar 6, 2013 @ 1:28 AM

I've been waiting for that too. It's been bugging me since they just had her run around with Raylan for one episode and I guess that was all it took to deal with her divorce. There was no point to even bringing it up unless they are playing the long game and the divorce will figure into next season? Eh.

Shelby being Drew was called by a lot of people and they basically told us last week but I did love seeing it slowly come out. I was disappointed that Raylan didn't catch on until the end. Boyd's realization was pretty funny.

Colt is a mess and I wish Tim had just taken him out instead of letting Boyd take him.

BakerX2

BakerX2

Fanatic

Posted Mar 6, 2013 @ 2:01 AM

The divorce (and off-screen marriage) was the writers being lazy ass with Rachel, as if exposition would be better than them giving her story screentime. Then again, the whole point of the off-camera marriage/divorce was a stupid ass one (basically part of a joke about how the guy angling for Art's job would inherit a bunch of fuck-ups as his underlings) as far as them creating a comedy storyline to give reason for why someone would not like to have Rachel as a underling.

As for Johnny Crowder; I think that Boyd knows that Johnny can't be trusted and that is the motive for keeping Colton alive. IE he can't trust Johnny so he'll pick the lesser evil since Colton doesn't have ambitions to steal his throne. Either that or he's going to have him be the fall-guy for Ava. Or having Johnny be the fall guy. Boyhd definitely should be looking to find SOMEONE to take the fall for whatshisface's death if only to negate Ellie May's inevitable confession.

(As for Tim letting Colton go; he probably knew that killing him would create more problems and he would not be able to get the sister to tell whatever it was she knew that was making Colton try and kill him. Better to let him go and then get the sister to open up)

SDcat2009

SDcat2009

Stalker

Posted Mar 6, 2013 @ 2:06 AM

So congrats to everyone who pegged Shelby for Drew Thompson. Even though it was clear, I was still stressed out when it was being revealed at the end.
I can barely breathe during this show because I think anyone can be killed at any time. So intense. Every time someone was alone with Shelby I thought oh crap, is he gonna just start shooting!?

When Boyd crept into Shelby's house I thought he was gonna bite it too. And I was upset at that thought. And the I was like, wait, why would I be upset if Boyd who is a pretty terrible person dies?

This goddamn show!

Great episode.

ETA: Art being spitting mad at Raylan is probably one of my favorite things.

Edited by SDcat2009, Mar 6, 2013 @ 2:10 AM.

Atomic Clock

Atomic Clock

Fanatic

Posted Mar 6, 2013 @ 2:44 AM

I know Shelby being Drew was predictable, but I love it!

But I hate it! God damn you, Justified writers! You're gonna kill off Jim Beaver! That's the one thing I asked you not to do! As Art said several times tonight...God damn it!!!

The confrontation with Boyd, Colt and Johnny had a Devil-esque feel to it. I'm sure Colt will soon be in the slurry pond that Ellen May never slept in.

I enjoyed Tim's badass side. Hope he and the preacher lady get together.

Spectrum Bear

Spectrum Bear

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 6, 2013 @ 3:07 AM

Well, I called it when Shelby told his story about getting his legs broken by a truck - cover for any problems he had left over when he broke his legs jumping out of his plane.

But I still thought the reveal was wonderfully well done. And the dialogue in this show is just so good. Hunter's conversation at the end with Raylan - both about why he didn't run and about which parent Raylan should listen to (and which one he will listen to) - was very sharp.

I'm a little sorry to lose the Shelby we thought we were getting to know. But Jim Beaver is doing a great job in any case.

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Mar 6, 2013 @ 6:14 AM

Loved the scene with Boyd, Ava, and the realtor. The show is wearing its class consciousness really well.

That whole scene made me sad because you know they will never get that fancy house on the hill, and a little worried that Ava will even be alive by the end of this season.

Also in the making me sad vein was Hunter's words to Raylon about knowing what voice drives him to go what he does.

molshoop

molshoop

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 6, 2013 @ 7:18 AM

I missed a few minutes. Was there any indication of where Ellen May is right now or how Shelby will keep protecting her ?

WmDeKooning

WmDeKooning

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 6, 2013 @ 7:36 AM

One thing though, why didn't he (Tim) disarm Colton at the tent?

No, why did Tim even let Colton get a gun in his hand?

Other than saying "another great episode", totally how an AK-47 can make even Patton Oswalt look like a badarse.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Mar 6, 2013 @ 7:56 AM

Loved the sincere look of sympathy that Wynn gave to Raylan when he learned that Arlo was dead. For a few seconds, they weren't schemers or enemies or trying to outwit each other.

edmonds

edmonds

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 6, 2013 @ 9:02 AM

So Arlo, Hunter, Shelby's ex wife (and who knows who else) were all keeping the secret for years just because they were loyal to Shelby? Is there a more plausible reason - money, fear or something specific that kept them quiet? Arlo went to his grave without talking and Hunter was trying to get run over by a truck. Why would they do that instead of telling someone the truth?

I did not understand what Boyd figured out regarding Drew and the security system of the house they were looking at. What was he going to ask the blindfolded guy when Ava called him away?

T o b y

T o b y

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 6, 2013 @ 9:06 AM

Yeah, that loyalty seems odd to me. They were trying to explain it tonight, something along the lines of "that's who we are", but it didn't quite work for me.

So it was obvious after last week that Shelby was Drew, but kudos to those who called it early. I was hoping for somewhat of a different turnout, even though it's cool to think he was in plain sight the entire time.

Best thing for me was Tim. Can't wait to see how that plays out.

benteen

benteen

Stalker

Posted Mar 6, 2013 @ 9:25 AM

The divorce (and off-screen marriage) was the writers being lazy ass with Rachel, as if exposition would be better than them giving her story screentime

Agreed. This is one area where the writers have been lazy. If they can give Ellen May (among other characters) a season-long storyline, then they give Rachel something.

As for Johnny Crowder; I think that Boyd knows that Johnny can't be trusted and that is the motive for keeping Colton alive. IE he can't trust Johnny so he'll pick the lesser evil since Colton doesn't have ambitions to steal his throne.

I think this is a valid reason. Although it shows why Boyd will never be a big-time kingpin. Because his organization is made up of traitors and morons and Boyd, a smart man, is too oblivious to notice.

Tim still should have disarmed Colton and took him in.

lulee

lulee

Stalker

Posted Mar 6, 2013 @ 9:27 AM

I missed a few minutes. Was there any indication of where Ellen May is right now or how Shelby will keep protecting her ?

I don't recall anything during the ep, but there were indications during the preview for next week.

I too fear for Ava's safety and what it would do to Boyd if she were killed. There is no way Colton makes it out alive though. I can see why Tim didn't shoot him, but I don't get why he didn't take him in. Maybe he was hoping Boyd would deal with him ... permanently.

There was a moment when Raylan realized that Shelby = Drew because of Bob's comment when I thought, "Damn, that Timothy Olyphant is the most appealing actor on TV." Handsome, to be sure, but charisma enough to fill 10 of those hats.

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Mar 6, 2013 @ 9:43 AM

I think there is a bigger shoe to drop regarding Drew Thompson/Shelby. I still think Ellen May is his long lost daughter, but I'm still waiting for some other big twist to be revealed.

Loved the sincere look of sympathy that Wynn gave to Raylan when he learned that Arlo was dead. For a few seconds, they weren't schemers or enemies or trying to outwit each other.

I think he also looked a little confused?surprised? at how Raylon was so matter of fact about it.

ElymianDucat

ElymianDucat

Fanatic

Posted Mar 6, 2013 @ 9:48 AM

So Arlo, Hunter, Shelby's ex wife (and who knows who else) were all keeping the secret for years just because they were loyal to Shelby? Is there a more plausible reason - money, fear or something specific that kept them quiet? Arlo went to his grave without talking and Hunter was trying to get run over by a truck. Why would they do that instead of telling someone the truth?

They each had different reasons.

The ex-wife had no reason to volunteer the information for most of the 30 years, since everybody in his old life thought Drew was dead. Nobody was looking for him, so nobody came asking. And once they did, she really didn't knew where he was, only that he might still be alive.

In this episode, Hunter made clear that he puts personal loyalty above self interest and even common sense, during his rant about his feud with the Crowders. And as the bumbling constable explained, Shelby did a lot for Hunter. And I got the impression that the were close friends for those 30 years. His live in jail was over, so Hunter might as well end it in his own terms.

Arlo's case is more ambiguous. If I had to guess, I'd say he was afraid that Theo Tonin might retaliate against everyone involved with protecting Drew. As for the killing of the trustee, he probably was trying to keep word from getting to Detroit for the same reason, but the cat was already out of the bag.

Edited by ElymianDucat, Mar 6, 2013 @ 9:48 AM.

fauntleroy

fauntleroy

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 6, 2013 @ 9:59 AM

If they didn't drop a few hints that Shelby was Drew, it would have seemed too random. I think they revealed just enough to reward attentive fans, and anyway it doesn't have to be a complete fool-everyone surprise for it to work. There were only a few possible candidates unless they were going to introduce some new character, and that would have been a cheat.

I still don't see Ellen May's threat. Her word against Ava's if it ever came to that, about some good-for-nothing pimp/drug dealer who nobody misses. No body, no evidence, no corroboration. Doesn't seem like the case would go anywhere anyhow.

Boyd made an interesting comment to Ava about how dead-guy was on her, as he was telling her to leave. Maybe Ava should go to Alabama for a bit! Also like the idea that he is keeping Colt around as a fall guy for the shooting Ava did. Colt has killed a bunch of people, why not one more. He could even claim Colt told him where he dumped the body, but keep it vague enough. They aren't going to search every abandoned mine shaft in the area for the body of a guy nobody cares about on hearsay, but it would be enough to direct suspicion away from Ava.

Johnny would be a fool to try and cross Boyd now. I think him coming forward to Boyd, though a bit late, means he has given up the idea of replacing Boyd, for now at least. He can't see himself as clever as Boyd.

I hope Shelby and Ellen May get away unharmed. She's his daughter right? The threat to Hunter is now gone isn't it, since the identity of Drew is out.

Edited by fauntleroy, Mar 6, 2013 @ 3:21 PM.

KalEl

KalEl

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 6, 2013 @ 10:14 AM

My problem with the reveal is you just don't walk into law enforcement, even in Kentucky. How could a background check not have revealed him?

That said it was another great episode.

johntfs

johntfs

Fanatic

Posted Mar 6, 2013 @ 10:21 AM

How Boyd has remained oblivious to Colton I don't know. That's going to be his downfall. Nice to see Tim back and I wonder if he'll be shacking up with the preacher's sister. One thing though, why didn't he disarm Colton at the tent?

Because Tim knew that if he tried, Colton would attempt to kill him. Which meant that Tim would shoot him down. And Tim didn't want to shoot him down while he was all drugged up. Tim wants to shoot Colton while Colton is awake and aware enough to feel the fear and pain. In his own way, Tim is probably the scariest person on the show.

babyblackcat

babyblackcat

Fanatic

Posted Mar 6, 2013 @ 10:21 AM

I figured Arlo (and Bo Crowder) kept the secret in exchange for all the cocaine.

I might be wrong, but didn't they imply they'd dumped Delroy into a mine shaft somewhere? If so and Ellen May was with her, she most definitely is still a threat. All of her details would check out, Delroy's been missing since that time (plus Ava taking over his business is suspect), she could possible lead them to the body, and you know all that carpet scrubbing didn't get up all the evidence.

ajknick

ajknick

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 6, 2013 @ 10:22 AM

This show is awesome but I don't get a few things.

Thompson was mixed up with Detroit Mafia back in the day, steals money and goes on the lam as first a Sheriff then a low level manager in a coal mine? he's got secrets that people are willing to die for but was a public figure not too far from where his ex wife lived? why do people care now? I know tonin lost an eye, although didn't we see Tonin and his eyes were fine? why was that drivers license kept in Arlos wall? what use was it to Josiah?

Wynn Duffie is the picture next to the word nonplussed in the dictionary.