Red Widow: ABC Tries the Next New Series

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

112 replies to this topic

MzTeaze

MzTeaze

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 25, 2013 @ 10:56 AM

Mike is on his downward spiral. Glad they are finally showing that others KNOW.

Could have done without the Gabriel sexytimes scene. Poor Luther got volunteered to usher a teen around to have sex at any place but home.

I think Luther will save Marta when the time comes.

Who didn't see the flaky sister falling for the FBI guy? Too many cliches in one episode.

Boris continues to look like Brad and Angelina's daughter, Shiloh, to me.

Micha

Micha

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 25, 2013 @ 12:05 PM

Okay, I hit series pass for this one and didn't watch any of the episodes until Sunday. So, I feel like I got the better experiece, pacing-wise. I agree, anything with the extended family is a bore (no pun intended), but I do like Marta. She was raised in this crazy world, just like Schiller. They are both the product of their family and the business that they are involved in.

I really liked Marta this week because they showed us more of why she is the way she is and how screwed up her family made her. Schiller seems to kind of be the yang to her ying. While Marta ran from her family destiny, Schiller became all that his family wanted him to be (probably because of his scary dad). I think Schiller has a soft spot for Marta because his mother was probably like her...loved her kids and stayed in the family to try to protect them the best that she could.

Schiller is hard, but I think that is based on how he was trained by his father. Notice how everytime we learn pieces about what he does in his spare time it is incredibly challenging, risky and almost a pressure valve for his life. I see him running from himself, as well. I think he wants a lot of the things that his father says are senseless, but won't admit it to himself. Hence, Russian Lady's "if he has feelings for you, he will hate you" because it reminds him of what he has become. I'm interested to see where Marta and Schiller's interactions go because they did have great acting chemistry.

Also, GV really is very potent and powerful in this role. I almost want to transport him to another show once this gets canceled. Until that happens, I'm in for the ride.

Edited by Micha, Mar 25, 2013 @ 1:03 PM.

BooBear

BooBear

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 25, 2013 @ 6:21 PM

Also, GV really is very potent and powerful in this role. I almost want to transport him to another show once this gets canceled. Until that happens, I'm in for the ride.

Yes I hated him on ER because Luka was such a mopey killjoy but here is the role I think was a much better fit for his look and I think he is going a great job. He doesn't get a lot of screen time but he and Marta are the best thing about this show.

I see him running from himself, as well. I think he wants a lot of the things that his father says are senseless, but won't admit it to himself.

I agree. I think from the start Schiller seemed like he was disgusted with his life. The elevator scene in the pilot.. he had his eyes down most of the scene. I think at first he had no real care about Marta at all and was messing with her, but I think he has come to like her. I think I get that from next week's preview where it looks like he is actually going to help her find her daughter despite what looks like a little disgust with himself for wanting to do it.

I don't see a future for Schiller with Marta.. that is just not going to be something that can happen. I predict Luther and Marta will be end game.

Kirsty

Kirsty

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 25, 2013 @ 9:01 PM

re. Luther:

I am going to predict here that he has a thing for Radha Mitchell's character and he was the one who killed her husband on her father's orders.

Okay I feel like a dope for not cluing into this. It makes all kinds of sense. All along, Schiller appears to be The Villain, but the real villains are in her home and in her family.

And it could provide a fun ending to the season (series, lbr), if Marta either doesn't find out until the very end, or she doesn't find out at all but it's revealed to the viewers at the end, possibly when she's romantically involved with Luther and she thinks she's got her safe, happy ending away from the criminal life.

It also ultimately makes Schiller look like the slightly better romantic bet by contrast. ;) Like, he's a murderous criminal too but at least he's up-front about it!

Edited by Kirsty, Mar 28, 2013 @ 3:07 PM.

piya

piya

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 26, 2013 @ 4:23 AM

Okay I feel like a dope for not cluing into this.

And I feel like a double dope because I made the prediction and completely forgot about the part where Luther likes her. I was really surprised when Owen stated that Luther had a thing for her. I was like Luther too along with Schiller.

I agree. I think from the start Schiller seemed like he was disgusted with his life. The elevator scene in the pilot.. he had his eyes down most of the scene. I think at first he had no real care about Marta at all and was messing with her, but I think he has come to like her.

In the last scene between them where she undresses in front of him to prove her loyalty (even though she isn't), he looked kind of disappointed that she seemed to be so enthusiastic about their criminal activities. I think that he secretly was intrigued by the fact that in spite of being from a criminal family, she still managed to be comparatively innocent unlike him. But now she has proved that she isn't much different from him or Alexandra.

On a unrelated note, Schiller seems to have pretty funny people working for him, deadly but still funny. The new australian? guy was amusing.

Raachel2008

Raachel2008

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 27, 2013 @ 1:03 AM

I don't know how we can assume that Schiller is running from himself or disguted with his life, because there was no indication of any of this. Nothing pointed towards Schiller wanting something his father says is senseless, since Lazlo had like five lines until now, and none of them were about things!mobs!can!not!have!

It's a fascinating relationship to watch, though, because you can see a struggle of power and for power there, but you can also see affection - while when I watch Andrei with Marta, I get the sense that he is kinda of relieved that there is sacrificial lamb to be offered to the gods in order to save the family. Oh, and Andrei soooo killed hubby.

This. Now is Schiller having a thing for Marta? Did the writers have to fall for the cliche where someone outsiders comes in and informs the heroine that the guy has a thing for her. And Luke too? So he is in love with her since they were sixteen even though she never looked at him and married with three kids?

They could have solved this with a couple of five seconds scenes where these guys showed some interest in Martha, prior to last episode. However, as it is, it is much easier for me to believe that Luther has been in love with her all those years, than to buy that Schiller has some sort of romantic feelings for Martha. Luther has been around for at least two decades, and he probably had a chance to see more than her boring soccer mom, poor widow in distress persona. Schiller on the other hand had not, and I'm sure he has had a fair share of decent people in trouble doing bad things to survive, so it is hard to swalllow that Marta would make that much of an impression. And as far as looks goes, Rhada can be fiercy, but Marta is white bread, even in a sexy dress with a deep cleavage.

But hey, bring the smooching and the dirty. Anything to make Marta ditch the soccer mom clothes and the horrid nude bra (my eyes, my eyes).

I liked this episode much more than the previous ones, the pacing was much better and the bad editing was less noticeable. But I kinda of think that the show biggest problem is that Rhada only has real chemistry with Goran, to some extent with the actress playing the sister, and Ramos. The scenes with Andrei, Irwin, Mike, and the kids are a snoozefest - though Boris is a cutie.

The best line of the episode was Lazlo, when he replied to Schiller's comment about Martha not being trustworthy saying "Slave labor never is" - this coming from a camp survivor, says a lot. Fascinating.

On a unrelated note, Schiller seems to have pretty funny people working for him, deadly but still funny. The new australian? guy was amusing.

I thought the same thing. They should make a show about Schiller and the people working for him. Imagine the parties!

Edited by Raachel2008, Mar 27, 2013 @ 1:03 AM.

BooBear

BooBear

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 1, 2013 @ 5:16 AM

That was horrible. The idea that Mike would not have a bullet in his head from Marta, Gramps, Luther or Schiller was just laughable. I also hated the way Schiller was Marta's assistant in this one. I could have bought it if Schiller went looking on his own and didn't tell Marta... but... no way do I buy him *reporting* to Marta and then allowing her to take care of it *her* way. Seemed like a seriously wasted episode.

piya

piya

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 1, 2013 @ 10:34 AM

Seemed like a seriously wasted episode.

This is exactly how I feel about the whole series. A good, if slightly derivative premise ruined by lackluster execution. This episode should have been about Marta and Schiller and their effort to find her daughter. It would have been interesting to get an insight into the most intriguing character - Schiller. Instead we got more family drama and more of the selfish, backstabbing father and brother and wannabe gangster son. At this point I find the kidnapper junkie Mike more sympathetic than Gramps or Irwin or Gabriel. I really hope at least one of them bite the bullet in the remaining episodes.

I thought the same thing. They should make a show about Schiller and the people working for him. Imagine the parties!

In this episode too, the aussie badguy had a few funny quips. Interestingly, in a few lines the writers managed to give a distinct, interesting character - albeit a backstabbing, sociopathic character but still. Yet after all these episodes Marta's entire family remains bland and boring - it seems as if the writers hate them too.

But is the aussie guy really about to go behind Schiller's back? He should know better and he seems smart enough. Or is he just playing the long con on Irwin on behalf of Schiller?

Raachel2008

Raachel2008

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 1, 2013 @ 2:06 PM

I can't, I really can't stand Marta's family. I loathe the mother, her accent drives me nuts, and while I've always tought Rade is a good actor, he plays the most streotyped Russian mobster ever. Don't even get me started on Irwin. The actress playing Natalie is good... and that is it. The family is boring and drags the whole show down.

I laughed my ass off when Schiller just ignored Marta's outrage that he was at her house - how did he dare?! - and reminded her that she worked for him and not the other way around.

The best thing about this show are Schiller and his people - dad and baddies. They should just give him a spin-off and start the whole thing again.

Edited by Raachel2008, Apr 1, 2013 @ 2:07 PM.

Kirsty

Kirsty

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 2, 2013 @ 7:07 PM

I've mostly caught up with this show now. And it's not as terrible as I imagined. But there are too many characters I'm expected to care about for no reason. Like Ramos. I have no reason to give a shit about him, let alone about his personal life. And I don't think it's possible to watch the show without wishing that someone would take Irwin out for a spin on the Carina, tie him to something heavy, and then toss him overboard.

Dramas like this, with a whole bunch of unlikable characters, need to be more realistic or funny or have much sharper writing or a darker tone. Preferably all of the above. Basically this show needs to be on FX. Because if you don't like the characters then there has to be some other reason to watch.

Anyway, I like the way everyone treats Felicity like shit. And I like the acknowledgment that until now, Marta and her friend chose to be happily oblivious to where their money was coming from. I feel bad for the littlest kid, Boris. I'm fine with the kids, actually. The older boy is obviously learning all the wrong lessons about what it means to be a man, but that makes sense when he's got nothing but terrible male role models. I mean, Marta doesn't know any good men; she's surrounded by shitheads, crooks, and killers. (Her brother ticks all three boxes.) I don't mind Marta's mother either, because she's awful in an enjoyable way.

Marta and Schiller have good chemistry but the show is throwing it away. Schiller should be put in tight spots where he's forced to reveal something of himself to us and to Marta. Instead we're shown the same slick facade every week, with no insights into the guy whose name is mentioned about twenty times an episode. Probably the most revealing moment in their interaction so far was his turning away when she got upset after she stripped down to her underwear in front of him. I do notice that he's always smiling and laughing during tense, threatening conversations? Maybe he's supposed to be a sociopath.

Vincent, the white guy who works for Schiller, has the worst fake accent I've heard in years. It travels around the world in the space of one line of dialogue.

Luke Goss can totally act though, good for him.

I don't even know what I want to see from the remaining couple of episodes. I guess Schiller and Andrei shooting each other would be good. The old man should die, Schiller can survive if the show gets a second season (ha!). Ideally, Marta, having discovered that her father had her husband killed, would set it up, giving each man (false) reason to go after the other. And a Schiller/Marta kiss, but the show hasn't exactly built up to it.

rove3

rove3

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2013 @ 11:55 AM

I just caught this show for the first time this past Sunday. It was the episode where Marta is wearing recording devices in her hair clip and bra. I liked it well enough that I sought it out on OnDemand and got caught up. I really enjoy it so it figures that it's likely headed for cancellation. I consider it a curse that I just don't find the umpteenth spin-offs of Law&Order, CSI, or NCIS interesting. No, I have to like shows like Prime Suspect, The Golden Boy, and now Red Widow.

I do agree that the show missed some golden opportunities to showcase more of Schiller and his arrangement with Marta. Theirs is easily the most intriguing relationship on the show. In fact, I rewatched "The Recorder" three times simply because all the Schiller/Marta scenes popped so much. It doesn't hurt that Goran is hella sexy.

Greta

Greta

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 28, 2013 @ 10:21 PM

I missed the last new episode before this one and felt no desire to go back and find it online until tonight. I really enjoyed tonight's episode. The Irwin/Felicity thing was pretty well-sketched in just a few scenes and I was actually sad when she died. And the Marta and Schiller scenes finally seemed to be going somewhere.

Luther so put those shoes on the dead guy.

Edited by Greta, Apr 28, 2013 @ 10:22 PM.

BooBear

BooBear

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 29, 2013 @ 5:03 AM

And the Marta and Schiller scenes finally seemed to be going somewhere.

This one seemed better I think because things sped up and we could avoid some of the characters I disliked... such as Mike and the kids. And Irwin got shot. Kind of a day late and dollar short.

Schiller should be put in tight spots where he's forced to reveal something of himself to us and to Marta.

I think we got this -- this week. Pushed by his father's illness he softened and told her that his name wasn't really Schiller.

I guess I didn't understand why Marta dumped the product. That seemed super stupid. Making her look stupid for not apparently believing there would be consequences.

rove3

rove3

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2013 @ 9:22 AM

Luther so put those shoes on the dead guy.

I hadn't even thought of that. I was trying to figure out a way that dead guy could've been the guy who killed Evan without Schiller being involved. Maybe I'm just a sucker for a pretty face, but I believed Schiller when he implied that he didn't kill Evan.

I'm not sure why Marta dumped the product. It made sense to return it to Schiller. The only thing I can think of is that she made it the focus of all her anger over Evan's death. She was also probably tired of everyone around her trying to use it to their own ends. Still though, it was a dumb move. Returned to Schiller it would've cleared her debt to him.

basiltherat

basiltherat

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 29, 2013 @ 9:48 AM

If she would have returned the "product" to Schiller, Marta would have at least stopped her father and her stupid brother from using it to their own ends. Although, she herself was quite stupid in telling everyone in her family, especially her RUSSIAN MOB BOSS FATHER, an enemy of Schiller's, what she was doing with Schiller. Also stupid was giving her friend the $100,000 necklace to get away from Mike. Sister was stupid for sleeping with FBI, son was stupid for taking a gun from Gramps, brother was stupid for schtupping Daddy's Plaything and stealing the "product" from his sister when he knows her family is in danger. In fact, the whole fam damily is stoopid, but Erwin still takes the cake!

Cyrax

Cyrax

Video Archivist

Posted May 1, 2013 @ 2:17 PM

I feel really bad for Radha Mitchell taking part in this terrible writing. That last scene was so bad it was nearly funny, but the struggle with old Schiller was pathetic and a disgrace to ABC's Sunday 10 pm!

BooBear

BooBear

Couch Potato

Posted May 6, 2013 @ 4:51 AM

Oh lordy... that finale was bad. First, eveyone called it from the pilot that Daddy did it, and also, that Luther had those shoes and put them on Schiller's guy.  Then, ok, if you are going to spend the entire series playing up the UST between Marta and Shiller... give me something in the finale to indicate that there was some end point there. He just lets her go with a handshake? That seemed useless.

And Irwin lives? Ugh.  At least we didn't have to see Mike.

So it is so easy to kill Shiller a teenage girl can do it? That whole last scene was just lame.  Well at least this won't be back.

Machuran

Machuran

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2013 @ 8:33 AM

Oh lordy... that finale was bad. First, eveyone called it from the pilot that Daddy did it, and also, that Luther had those shoes and put them on Schiller's guy.  Then, ok, if you are going to spend the entire series playing up the UST between Marta and Shiller... give me something in the finale to indicate that there was some end point there. He just lets her go with a handshake? That seemed useless.

And Irwin lives? Ugh.  At least we didn't have to see Mike.

I'm not surprised, the entire family is full of stupid assholes.

So it is so easy to kill Shiller a teenage girl can do it? That whole last scene was just lame.  Well at least this won't be back.

It was a lame cliffhanger.

Cyrax

Cyrax

Video Archivist

Posted May 6, 2013 @ 12:55 PM

The whole thing was lame. May everything ABC puts in its 2013-14 schedule next week be better than this!

Cyrax

Cyrax

Video Archivist

Posted May 11, 2013 @ 3:20 AM

Well-deserved official cancellation! May the actors find better shows in the future!

BooBear

BooBear

Couch Potato

Posted May 11, 2013 @ 7:17 AM

Agreed on the actors finding better shows.

greyhorse

greyhorse

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2013 @ 11:21 AM

It was obvious from about episode 2 or 3 that this show was not going to survive to season 2, so I'm not sure why I even bothered to invest my time and my DVR space in this awful show.  Some of the worst, most confounding writing in recent memory.  I feel bad for Radha Mitchell and all the other actors that had to suffer through this show for a paycheck.   May those writers go back to writing school and learn how to put together plots and improve their dialogue.  Simply pathetic.

vera charles

vera charles

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2013 @ 4:55 PM

Thank goodness that's over!  We just watched the finale last night and were laughing about how bad the ending was.  The writers apparently sat around throwing out crazy ideas and just zinging from storyline to storyline until they ran out of time? When most of the cast was in the warehouse pulling guns on each other, I asked my husband, why don't they all just stand in a circle and shoot each other, so we'll know for sure that this isn't coming back.  The tacked-on lame "cliffhanger" was just the icing on the cake.