In the Flesh: Zombies Head Back to Society

• Please log in to reply

71 replies to this topic

Miles Prower

Miles Prower

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 23, 2013 @ 5:24 AM

That last episode destroyed me, then built me back up, then destroyed me again.

I knew that Rick was dead the second his father hugged him. There was a knot forming in my stomach that grew larger and larger. When Kieren found his body, I started sobbing and couldn't really stop until the scene with his mother in the cave. That was kind of a consoling note, that life goes on, you might find love again.
Then they had the scene with the father at home and I started sobbing again.

But I really hate whoever put those two knocks at the end in. We all know Rick is not coming back, we know he won't be there in season two. That was only put in there to fuck with the audience and after such an episode, that is just cruel.

Damn, I usually don't get this attached to characters. Most of the time I stay firmly unattached through long running shows with long seasons.
If I'm honest, it's the subject matter. It hits a little too close to home.
And here we get the double whamy. Metaphor and actual.

I might give my thoughts to the rest of the show another time. But had to get this off my chest first...

I also felt that Rick and Ren didn't really get closure, let alone anything resembling a happy ending. They had that abbreviated chat in the car in Episode 2, where they sort of got at their feelings for each other and fear of committment / separation. But Rick wasn't even able to complete his phone call in episode 3, Ren never received it, and they never had any time together.

Yeah that makes it worse. They got a second chance and yet didn't.

Edited by Miles Prower, Jun 23, 2013 @ 6:10 AM.

TheLabRat

TheLabRat

Fanatic

Posted Jun 23, 2013 @ 3:32 PM

We all know Rick is not coming back, we know he won't be there in season two.

With all of the "Second Rising" stuff, I'm not entirely sure this is a given. 

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Jun 24, 2013 @ 2:00 AM

With all of the "Second Rising" stuff, I'm not entirely sure this is a given.

That was a religious thing, said by the minister so IMO it should be taken with a grain of salt.  That way the writers have the freedom to have a Second Rising happen or not happen. depending upon what they want to do story wise.  Personally, I expect it to happen but I think it won't happen until at least season three.

TheLabRat

TheLabRat

Fanatic

Posted Jun 24, 2013 @ 2:41 AM

Oh it definitely should be taken with a grain of salt.  But as you say, it's something they could play with if they wanted, as well.  If they did, I'd love to see the Second Rising turn out to be wildly different that what the religious people think it's going to be just because I love when genre fiction pokes at that kind of modern mythology with a little bit of the "close but not quite the right interpretation" angle. 

Personally I'd love to see flashbacks to Rick's time as a zombie.  He was "rabid" for a long time, or at least that's the impression I got since he was MIA for so long while stationed in the Middle East.

Ailiana

Ailiana

Fanatic

Posted Jun 24, 2013 @ 6:45 AM

I'm not sure he was really MIA that whole time, though.  I got the impression that their time at the lab, or whatever, while they were being experimented on (because we don't already have anti-zombie drugs, so there had to be a period of experimentation until they came up with something that worked, and it probably wasn't seen as trying to save them at first..) and then while they were actually being helped, with counseling and treatments and learning about their condition.  I could see it having taken months of being in the center before they are starting to be released, and I think some of the first part supports that, with the set up for people being sent home.  I'm guessing almost everyone who died at first was rabid for at least a while, but I'm not sure the MIA time means how long Rick was rabid. They clearly didn't tell his parents what was going on until they were ready for him to go back home.

MDKNIGHT

MDKNIGHT

Fanatic

Posted Jun 24, 2013 @ 4:15 PM

Missed this completely.  Wierdly I found parts 2 and 3 On Demand and they will be up for some time yet, but not part one.  I'll watch anyway although I'm sure it will be a bit confusing without part one.

TheLabRat

TheLabRat

Fanatic

Posted Jun 24, 2013 @ 9:03 PM

I'm pretty sure it's still kicking around on the tubes of you (some of the main scenes were for a awhile, anyway).  You might be able to catch the highlights that way. As I recall, the previouslies did a pretty good job. 

futurechemist

futurechemist

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 25, 2013 @ 8:37 AM

I hope they don't do the 2nd Rising.  Part of the show was how people would deal with 2nd chances, and giving some people a 3rd chance would take away from that.  Also, I don't think there were any knocks coming from the coffin.  I think it was the sound of the shovel hitting dirt off-screen.

TheLabRat

TheLabRat

Fanatic

Posted Jun 27, 2013 @ 1:52 AM

Well I very much imagine that if there is a second rising it will not function like the first.  Those people may not be getting a "third chance".  They may just be out for brains, so to speak.  This is all just junk dancing around in my head, mind you.  But I could easily see a second rising being an issue of our own PDS sufferers and regular humans having to band together against the newly risen who can't be cured (or at least not as easily).  Or they could make the second rising something that web site guy or that religious nut cook up to move their agendas that's not legit.  I just can't imagine they aren't going to play with it in some fashion.  The mention of it was way too "Chekov's Gun".

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Jun 27, 2013 @ 2:26 AM

But I could easily see a second rising being an issue of our own PDS sufferers and regular humans having to band together against the newly risen who can't be cured (or at least not as easily). 

Ooh, I like that idea.  Sadly it seems the writers of tv shows generally aren't as creative as us posters.

lucindabelle

lucindabelle

Fanatic

Posted Sep 12, 2013 @ 10:05 PM

I watched this whole series on demand while sick in bed, rather late at night, I thought the concept was funny but quickly realized it wasn't a sitcom at all and was floored.

I gotnanlumo in my throat when the mother began talking to Ren in the cave and when it got to the father finally breaking down instartedsobbing, really bawling.

Many reviews described the show and th metaphors for PTSD, racism, homophobia, but I thought this was the most powerful exploration ofnsuicide and forgiveness I've ever ever seen.

valny

valny

Stalker

Posted Mar 26, 2014 @ 9:33 PM

It's baaaack!  Season 2..May 10th!