13-1: "The Wolf in Charge of the Hen House" 2013.03.03

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

138 replies to this topic

alexmarsz

alexmarsz

Fanatic

Posted Mar 7, 2013 @ 9:23 PM

You know, I usually like Trump about 80% of the time, and I give him a pass because I've heard him speak on Fox News. He makes a ton of sense. But this show sounds like his sandbox where he can be stupid just for fun.

maryt, the great mystery of Trump is to what extent he knows he's a buffoon. When I hear him on various news channels he is, even if I don't agree with him, reasonable in his assessments. And the fact that his kids are well-adjusted and observent implies good qualities too. But he clearly doesn't try to look good on this show, and he does other things like getting in public fights that show poor judgment. At this point I can't tell how much of his boardroom shtick is an act. I can say that anyone who ever hoped this show represents real business would be better off with Shark Tank.

Speaking of Trumplets, Ivanka was right to call out the "like a woman" statement and I certainly don't blame her for what her father said. I mean, I personally have never called out my father on national television for a subjective statement on a show where it could be edited out at his discretion.

While it may be the exception rather than the rule, it's happened at least twice that I recall. Once in the first Celebrity Apprentice season, when Omarosa failed to greet some of her contacts during the art task and they ended up buying from Piers Morgan's team instead, and then again during the first episode of Celebrity Apprentice 3, where the women's restaurant turned into such a crowded mess that they had no idea who they were serving.

Wasn't there also a season where the show offered a bonus "whale" check if they could make a short-notice pizza delivery to a firehouse, and one team couldn't do it? I don't buy that they couldn't satisfy whales via a VIP line, but Trace's strategy makes sense to ensure they have extra hands for surprises.

orionlion

orionlion

Fanatic

Posted Mar 8, 2013 @ 8:40 AM

I wonder who the "billionaires" Brande had lined up were.

And it seems like there was an instance where a team or both teams had to deliver pizzas to a Fire House and if they got there in a certain time they'd get $30,000 or so. It didn't happen- but now for the life of me I can't remember if it was the women's team or the men's team who couldn't make the delivery. I do remember Starr Jones decided to close the shop early after she got a big donation- so such a thing is not unheard of... It's just that Trace decided to close shop before it ever opened.

Edited by orionlion, Mar 8, 2013 @ 8:42 AM.

LoneHaranguer

LoneHaranguer

Fanatic

Posted Mar 8, 2013 @ 1:53 PM

Piers, in the TH that followed: "The project manager had no real idea how much was coming in, she just guessed.

Bad timing. That they just did a tally and Brande didn't just spout the number suggests that what Omarosa told her was inconsistent with what Brande knew to be true, so she was trying to guesstimate a total. Not everyone can easily add numbers in their head; it doesn't mean that she couldn't sit down and list out the donations so far (at least the ones of note). Piers didn't pursue the issue because he's a sexist pig and the initial impression suited him. Brande didn't clarify because she didn't want to highlight the faulty accounting since she was the one who picked Omarosa for that job (I guess she didn't hear what happened to Kwame).

kjgriffy

kjgriffy

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 8, 2013 @ 8:22 PM

Omarosa is actually relatively boring. It is so obvious that she cares really little about the game/raising money for charity and all she wants is screen time to advance her "career". So she does that by playing up the "villain" angle.

Raider Duck

Raider Duck

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 8, 2013 @ 8:38 PM

Omarosa is actually relatively boring. It is so obvious that she cares really little about the game/raising money for charity and all she wants is screen time to advance her "career". So she does that by playing up the "villain" angle.

Her "career' consists of playing the Resident Bitch on whatever reality show will have her. Kind of a shame, really, considering her obvious intelligence. She'd be capable of so much if she weren't so bloody unpleasant.

Kali12

Kali12

Fanatic

Posted Mar 9, 2013 @ 3:54 AM

I don't understand why at least two people, working together, weren't assigned to keep a running total of money brought in, by celebrity name.

After all, they knew the task was all about money. And, from past experience, they knew that you get eliminated sometimes based on your contribution (sorry Trace didn't lose so Stephen would be gone).

Then to make Omarosa the accountant--alone--was mind-boggling. Not because she would steal but because she would lie to save herself and target someone else. And with no record-keeping and no one working with her, whatever she said would be "fact" in the BR.

It was really, really dumb to give someone like that so much control and power.

I believe Brett's guitarist and I also think Omarosa minimized his donors then boosted her own accordingly (another bad idea of her being accountant--no one else had any idea.)

Don't the donors get receipts though? Isn't it all charitable deductions? I don't understand how/why the record keeping wouldn't be better from the CA side, in order to prove a tax deductible donation of a specific amount.

I don't know how they get friends to donate. When you bring your hard-earned thousands to help your friend's team...and see it given to someone else's cause...well, that would bug. Maybe it doesn't matter so much if its Diabetes or an Abused Children's fund. But I'd be furious if I brought in $10,000 for Abused Children and it wound up going to Baldwin's mother. He seems like just the shady type who would create a 501c and siphon off 90% for personal use.

Kromm

Kromm

Fanatic

Posted Mar 9, 2013 @ 1:02 PM

I hate that word "whales" . it sounds like they are calling big donors fat. It just sounds demeaning or like they are an elite group better than someone else that they call them such a bad name. Not a very respectful name after they give you tons of money.

The term was invented in Las Vegas for big ticket gamblers. Basically it means someone with money to burn--a big spender. Charities adapting the term may not be the smartest thing, but The Apprentice certainly didn't start that trend either.

GrrlPower

GrrlPower

Fanatic

Posted Mar 9, 2013 @ 3:59 PM

Honestly, I don't think many of the celebrities - on any of the seasons - are actually there for their charity. The only exceptions I can think of that actually seemed concerned about their charities to me are Marlee Matlin, Holly Robinson Peete, Sharon Osbourne, Brett (in his original season, not in the all-star round) and Clay Aiken. I might even through Star Jones in there since, although she was a bitch, she was passionate about heart disease. Not to say none of them wanted the publicity of being on a network, primetime show, but these stand out to me as celebrities who actually cared about their charities, unlike people like Piers (I can't be convinced that Piers actually gives a shit about American veterans - isn't he British or Irish or something? - I think he just chose a charity that would pull at people's heartstrings, so he was being manipulative, not thoughtful).

misterbfd

misterbfd

Fanatic

Posted Mar 9, 2013 @ 7:32 PM

Bad timing. That they just did a tally and Brande didn't just spout the number suggests that what Omarosa told her was inconsistent with what Brande knew to be true, so she was trying to guesstimate a total.

Brande knew nothing to be true. Not even her own number. She told Piers straight out that she had brought in $200k when in fact she was nowhere near that number.

Defending Brande as a project manager is not really comprehensible to me.

Honestly, I don't think many of the celebrities - on any of the seasons - are actually there for their charity. The only exceptions I can think of that actually seemed concerned about their charities to me are Marlee Matlin, Holly Robinson Peete, Sharon Osbourne, Brett (in his original season, not in the all-star round) and Clay Aiken.

Penn is really big on Opportunity Village.

Queena

Queena

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 10, 2013 @ 1:17 AM

Arsenio Hall was passionate about the Magic Johnson foundation.

torreador

torreador

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 10, 2013 @ 8:32 AM

I hate that word "whales" . it sounds like they are calling big donors fat. It just sounds demeaning or like they are an elite group better than someone else that they call them such a bad name. Not a very respectful name after they give you tons of money.

The term was invented in Las Vegas for big ticket gamblers. Basically it means someone with money to burn--a big spender. Charities adapting the term may not be the smartest thing, but The Apprentice certainly didn't start that trend either.

Yeah, whale refers to the size of their wallets, not the size of their waist-lines.

Edited by TWoP Nikita, Mar 10, 2013 @ 12:17 PM.
removed quotation and response

robroy

robroy

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 10, 2013 @ 11:07 AM

I think Brande had thougth she would pull 200k which is a huge # and when her 'whale' didn't get the check on site she was down to 130k. Hence the emotion/frustration in the talking heads. I think she also became pretty flustered when she realized she might not make her own goal. During her original season Brnde was a very strong fundraiser & overall player. Which pissed of the Rivers women to no effing end.

Lil Jon was also a very good player/fundraiser during his season and should get a large amount of credit for John Rich's win.

I will say this about Brande- atleast she can read the tea leaves. She knew that Trump and the producers want Omarossa around, that Trump was gunning for Brett before & after O set him up and that as long as she was kind to Latoya she would not have backlash for bringing her to the board room. So she played that as well as she could.

I am so waiting for Claudia's reaction when O stabs her in the back.

And I think the real reason Brett deserved to be fired was picking Omarosa. That woman is organizational poison. She never seems to actually accomplish anything but is highly skilled at picking apart others. And she seems to be one of those women who never got over being poor, unattractive or unpopular when they were younger. So instead of being happy with whatever accomplishments, friendships or beauty they have as an adult they are constantly refighting childhood battles. Even if the battle was only in their mind. I found it humorous when she tried to start a celebrity feud with Bethenney Frankel a few years ago. Because for all that one's flaws she can play circles around O in the reality whore league.

misterbfd

misterbfd

Fanatic

Posted Mar 11, 2013 @ 3:50 AM

I think Brett was destined to be fired the very first time he was in the boardroom, regardless of what the circumstances would have been. I think Trump's ego wouldn't allow a potential two-time winner of HIS game. In other words, if Brett was able to return and win again, or even last deep into the competition, he would have "beaten" Trump.

jvermeer5

jvermeer5

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 11, 2013 @ 3:11 PM

Here's an explanation about Brett.

http://radaronline.c...ck-first-place/

wrlord

wrlord

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 12, 2013 @ 3:08 AM

Oh, just to add re: Omarosa. I thought it was beyond the pale for Trump to ask, repeatedly, "Do you think Omarosa stole that money?"

Wow. If I were her, I'd sue. That is slander

Don't quit your day job. Asking a question is not an assertion of fact. Thus not slanderous.

Captain Tact II

Captain Tact II

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 12, 2013 @ 10:43 PM

Oh, just to add re: Omarosa. I thought it was beyond the pale for Trump to ask, repeatedly, "Do you think Omarosa stole that money?"

Wow. If I were her, I'd sue. That is slander

Don't quit your day job. Asking a question is not an assertion of fact. Thus not slanderous.

Also, the question may not have been "Do you think Omorosa stuck $30,000 in her shoe and walked out with it?" but "Do you think Omarosa listed donations that came in from people you called as being from people she called?"

More of a "Do you think Omarosa stole CREDIT for the money" than the money itself.

GrrlPower

GrrlPower

Fanatic

Posted Mar 13, 2013 @ 12:37 AM

More of a "Do you think Omarosa stole CREDIT for the money" than the money itself.

But Brande was more than $100k off the real number, and when Trump asked each individual, they were collectively off $80k. So even if Omarosa did credit herself with $30k, there is still a lot of lying going on with the other team members. So Trump was wrong to single out Omarosa.

LoneHaranguer

LoneHaranguer

Fanatic

Posted Mar 13, 2013 @ 12:27 PM

So even if Omarosa did credit herself with $30k, there is still a lot of lying going on with the other team members. So Trump was wrong to single out Omarosa.

Unless Omarosa was making checks "disappear". She could only lay claim to cash, like Bret's roadies'. Having somebody else's big donors show up in her tally would make it pretty transparent what she was doing. But, she could still make sure that some of those checks never got tallied, making herself look better in comparison. She had no fear of being fired if that caused the team to lose. To me, that better explains why everyone thought they raised more money than the suggestion that "everybody else lied".

Captain Tact II

Captain Tact II

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 13, 2013 @ 6:51 PM

But Brande was more than $100k off the real number, and when Trump asked each individual, they were collectively off $80k. So even if Omarosa did credit herself with $30k, there is still a lot of lying going on with the other team members. So Trump was wrong to single out Omarosa.

Yeah, but if Omarosa raised the least (like, sub-Baldwin levels), it would a LOT harder for Trump to keep her, and she must have known it. Seeing a bunch of donations coming in for everyone else and not as much for her AND a ton of chaos? Makes it really easy to allow everyone else to over-inflate/misguess numbers and then take credit for a portion of the bad numbers.