Zendaya (Coleman): From Shake it Up to... shaking it up

• Please log in to reply

509 replies to this topic

TWoP Lockley

TWoP Lockley

TWoP Moderator

Posted May 1, 2013 @ 4:28 PM

READ ME NOW IF YOU WANT TO POST HERE:

STOP talking about "the haters." That is boards on boards commentary and it is not allowed here. Stop talking about how you surmise Zendaya may be responding to "the haters."

If you personally hate Zendaya, you are of course allowed to say that and why, but do not talk about the temperature of her fan base at all.

I've let it go for a while because it's been relatively under control, but as things progress toward the finals I want you all to be extra careful about how you express your reaction to this performer and the show.

Notice I said YOUR reaction to THIS PERFORMER and THE SHOW. This is not the place to discuss, dissect, criticize or contemplate the makeup of her fan base or those who dislike her.

Edited by TWoP Lockley, May 10, 2013 @ 11:21 AM.

missysays

missysays

Channel Surfer

Posted May 22, 2013 @ 1:15 PM

I hope her career has become way too big to ever come back as a contestant on this show. i would love to see her do a one-off dance perhaps, or better yet, come back and perform. Never as a contestant again.

This!

DWTS production use their celebrities sort of like show ponies in a circus and sometimes put them in ridiculous situations to get viewership- and the celebrities usually let them since they need the exposure. Most of the celebrities who come to DWTS are coming because they are on their way down or have plateaued in their given domain and are looking for a boost or a way out of their current circumstance.

I think that one of the reasons so many (myself included) were drawn to Zendaya is that she is very clearly on her way up and was using this as a stepping stone to other things that she has actively in the works. There is also a certain idealistic quality about her still- she hasn't encountered so many failures or disappointments that she comes across as jaded. She is still dreaming big and working hard towards it. I hope that fate rewards her hard work with good things.

If she comes back to DWTS, hopefully it's to promote her new album and she'll be a guest musical performer and not a competitor anymore. I could see them having space for her towards the end of the season when there aren't as many competitors and they're trying to fill the 2 hour run time. For all the hokiness of the dance competition part of the show, I'm always surprised at the calibre and high profile of the musical acts they're able to book on the show.

TudorQueen

TudorQueen

Stalker

Posted May 22, 2013 @ 2:53 PM

I had never heard of Zendaya before this season of DWTS, and now I out and out adore her, so if her time on the show was meant to boost her profile beyond being a 'Disney kid', consider it mission accomplished.

She is beyond freaking adorable and so talented, but at the same time I feel like she's someone who I could take to the mall to buy new clothes for the school year, and stop at Red Robin for a burger. She's that accessible and authentic.

I wish she'd won - though I acknowledged on Derek's thread that the Derek/Kellie victory was not unreasonable, though I can't help but wonder if things would have been different if ABC.com hadn't crashed...

If they ever do another 'All Stars' I wouldn't mind seeing her dance for the trophy again.

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2013 @ 4:29 PM

If they ever do another 'All Stars' I wouldn't mind seeing her dance for the trophy again

If they ever do have another All Stars, they should definitely wait till she's 18. She'd probably be like Shawn and be 100 times better, if thats even possible for her.

DoleWhip

DoleWhip

Couch Potato

Posted May 22, 2013 @ 6:58 PM

If the show is still around in 3-5 years, I would love them to invite Zendaya back for the next all star season. Zendaya all grown up  would dominate.

Would love to see that. In fact, I'd like to see Zendaya, Mel B, and Mya all return and kick everyone else to the curb. 

I hope her career has become way too big to ever come back as a contestant on this show. i would love to see her do a one-off dance perhaps, or better yet, come back and perform. Never as a contestant again.

Scratch that - I hope you're right, and that Zendaya becomes way too big to devote 10+ weeks of her life to this again. She's done a tremendous job this season, and with her talent and attitude she deserves every opportunity coming her way.

dzidas

dzidas

Couch Potato

Posted May 22, 2013 @ 8:12 PM

Congrats to Zendaya & Val on an amazing season! And I second everything you've written. I just wanted to add, that I oddly remembered what Len once said to a finalist on Strictly. It was something along the lines 'A dance is short, it's fleeting... But sometimes its' recollection can last a lifetime.' And even though it may sound a bit over the top, I feel this way with Zendaya's dances. Many of them have become my all-time favorite routines on this show. The amazing Jive from week 2, the lovely Viennese Waltz, the AT with Maks and Anna, the trio Salsa, the Paso, the final Samba... all of these performances were outsanding and I don't think I'll ever forget them. Zendaya really was this season's gem, a lovely person with a genuine talent. I wish her all the best in her career and I bet it's gonna be a huge one.

blaase

blaase

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2013 @ 10:08 PM

I too hope her career takes off and she gets as big as  former disney stars like Miley Cyrus or Demi Lovato BUT  I'd still want her to come back for a DWTS all star season  for one reason and one reason only.... her partnership with Val!  Especially if Val is still mirror-ball trophy less.

Also is it just me or would Zendaya be a perfect choice to play "Alex"  if they ever remake Flashdance in the future, when she is well over 18 of course.

Edited by blaase, May 22, 2013 @ 10:33 PM.

tip and fall

tip and fall

Stalker

Posted May 22, 2013 @ 10:25 PM

I hope Zendaya stays far, far away from any future All Star season. I'd be too worried that she'd end up being another Gilles or Drew, i.e. celebs who were perfectly likable their first season, and turned into overly desperate douches in their second. 

I mean, right now it seems unfathomable that Zendaya would turn into a raging asshole, but who would have thought before last season that Drew could be such a humorless prick?

Other than getting that tacky mirrorball trophy, Zendaya has nothing to gain by going on All Stars, especially if her career continues on the up-and-up. Despite only finishing second (asterisk!), she has nothing left to prove IMO. 

Gracepayz

Gracepayz

Couch Potato

Posted May 23, 2013 @ 2:05 AM

As a female of Height myself; my intitial thought for Zenday is/was "enjoy the moment" before you get too tall. 

Then I sat back and gave it some real thought. 

I think she will become a pioneer for Tall women in the industry.  I mean women who are over 5'10( Taylor swift is this ht when last I checked) , thin and pretty who are more than model material or uber athletes -- those fields have their respective beauty's but ther are few women of height.  She can really give hope to young women of height that the sky really is the limit .

Unless a person has lived it themself, it is hard to understand why this is so groundbreaking.  Unless you are good looking enough to be a model or talented in the sports field.. it is hard for tall women in society. I am not going to go on and on... I know other women of ht have their own issue's as well.

Go, girl.

missysays

missysays

Channel Surfer

Posted May 23, 2013 @ 5:52 PM

Zendaya is continuing to make the media rounds today.

One interviewer asked her outright if she would consider coming back for a DWTS All-Star season and she flat out said that she thought she might be on tour or something by then... Smart girl!

http://live.huffingt...b8c2a4ed00002eb

spanana

spanana

Stalker

Posted May 23, 2013 @ 7:30 PM

Mind you I don't think there will ever be another All-Stars season, but I too hope if there is her career will be past that point by then.  I'd like to keep by Zendaya/Val DWTS memories as they are. 

Though sadly, while I think Zendaya's press tour isn't quite over as she's supposed to be hosting 106 & Park tomorrow, I think her appearances with Val are over.  While I would never like to see her compete on DWTS again, I'd love to see her Val dance together again at some point even if it's just for a promotional opportunity.  Though I suppose it could be a problem if she keeps growing.  I also hope she ballroom dances again at some point in the future.   Just saying.  If someone greenlit a dance movie for her to star in, I'd totally watch.  Though I just love dance movies, the cheesier the better.  So get on that Disney.

missysays

missysays

Channel Surfer

Posted May 23, 2013 @ 8:13 PM

Just saw this video of a little one crying over Zendaya coming in second on DWTS... it sounds like it would be cheesy but it actually turns out to be really sweet. Her mom especially is the voice of reason--  [Mom]but you don't even know her...[7 yr old]...I wanted her to win anyway...

https://www.youtube....h?v=iW1bUgcKk50

My adult self sympathizes. ;-)

While I would never like to see her compete on DWTS again, I'd love to see her Val dance together again at some point even if it's just for a promotional opportunity.  Though I suppose it could be a problem if she keeps growing.  I also hope she ballroom dances again at some point in the future.   Just saying.  If someone greenlit a dance movie for her to star in, I'd totally watch.  Though I just love dance movies, the cheesier the better.  So get on that Disney.

I would be totally up for that kind of movie- or even tv movie on the ABC family channel. Selena Gomez was in one- why not Zendaya?

Edited by missysays, May 23, 2013 @ 8:20 PM.

officetemp

officetemp

Couch Potato

Posted May 23, 2013 @ 8:54 PM

This is the first time in a long while that I've watched a complete season--besides skipping a couple of the results shows and missing part of the prom episode--of DWTS.  I originally tuned in for Dorothy;  I ended up staying for Zendaya, or, more precisely, I ended up staying for Zendaya & Val.  When I first saw Zendaya walking down the steps at the beginning of Episode 1, my thought was, "Great, another one of those Disney kids!"  Well, she and Val turned out to be the highlight of the season for me.  I try not to get emotionally invested anymore in any of the competitors or the pros (gets kind of addicting and taxing after a while), but it was hard to remain detached regarding Z&V.  It was so fascinating watching them working their way from mentor and student, to partners, to extremely close friends, to, finally, family.  They've bonded so well and so completely;  I'm glad that they were partnered with each other and I'm going to really miss seeing them dancing together.  It's hard to imagine how their respective seasons would have turned out if they had been partnered with other people.  With the exception of the height difficulties, I think they were perfect for each other; they've made my personal list of favorite DWTS partnerships.

I had kind of a lukewarm response to their cha cha when they first performed it; now, however, after repeatedly watching it, I think it's one of my favorite of their dances together with their second samba.  I think it's because both dances show a glimpse of the grown-up Zendaya.  Part of it may be her costuming and styling in each dance--sleek and quite sophisticated and dramatic; part of it may be that I feel that she and Val have really good chemistry in those dances.  Who knows?  I just like those dances a lot.  I have to agree, however, that I really don't want to see her return for an all-star season should DWTS decide to go in that direction again.  I'd rather she return for a results show in a couple of years to perform a rumba with Val.  I think it could be stunning.  [Also want to say that I thought it was cute that Z tapped V on the nose at the end of their instant Jive--returning V's gesture that he did during their first samba.]

It will be interesting to see how she turns out in another five or ten years.  She's already shown that she's ambitious; with her work ethic, discipline, abilities, and talent, combined with a loving and supportive family, she should have no problem in achieving whatever goals she sets for herself.

[Here they are on Kelly & Michael this morning, with Carson subbing for Strahan:  http://www.youtube.c...h?v=h0egGQXzWEs .  Z's totally unflappable.  What a performer!]

spanana

spanana

Stalker

Posted May 23, 2013 @ 11:49 PM

Their hip hop performance from Kelly and Michael (or in this case Carson) was hilarious.  Love how they handled the errant mic.   

The video of that girl was cute, and I'm sure she wasn't the only one that night as one of the people in that Huff Post thing said their 6 year old was crying as well, but I do kind of take exception to the fact that the mom posted the video online.  Though Zendaya saw it and commented, so I'm sure that will make the little girl's year.

Also just in case they weren't quite cute enough, looks like there was a Chmerkovskiy and Coleman family get together at the Chmerkovskiy household this evening.  My guess is they were saying goodbye since while she has more press tomorrow, I assume she's heading back to LA soon.

http://instagram.com/p/ZrlCRtJmKh/#

Edited by spanana, May 23, 2013 @ 11:51 PM.

ByaNose

ByaNose

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2013 @ 11:51 PM

With the track record of ex-Disney girls I worry about her. All these young girls seem to become big teen stars & then try to break out their "clean" image due to the strict Disney rules and basically break down. Time will tell.

Try Again

Try Again

Couch Potato

Posted May 24, 2013 @ 11:15 AM

I'm hearing more press about Zendaya than the actual winner :)

dancingonmyown

dancingonmyown

Couch Potato

Posted May 24, 2013 @ 11:24 AM

With the track record of ex-Disney girls I worry about her. All these young girls seem to become big teen stars & then try to break out their "clean" image due to the strict Disney rules and basically break down. Time will tell.

Hilary Duff has done fine for herself and I loved that Zendaya mentioned Raven Symone first in that interview above, who far as I know, also hasn't done anything really crazy. 

blaase

blaase

Fanatic

Posted May 24, 2013 @ 12:29 PM

Lindsay Lohan is really the only disney girl to go nuts and I blame that on her nutso parents. Britney Spears went  nuts as well but she seems to have recovered. As you said Hilary Duff, Raven as well as  Miley, Selena and Demi seem to be doing well.

Thirteenthjuror

Thirteenthjuror

Fanatic

Posted May 24, 2013 @ 1:44 PM

I'm hearing more press about Zendaya than the actual winner :)

I've noticed that as well. I don't know if it's that Zendaya is being asked more or if Kellie has just gone back on the road or studio. She needs to capitalize off of this media opportunity like Zendaya is. As it looks right now with the press tour you would think Zendaya was the winner.

Demi seem to be doing well.

She's doing better now since she got help for her Bipolar D/O, but there was a time when she was the subject of many a blind items. She's pretty much admitted to drugs and the blind items hinted at some public promiscuity at parties that I rather not repeat. But, that behavior had more to do with her going undiagnosed and not having treatment. Same for Britney. Although, Britney wasn't a Disney star, but more of a teen star.

I think Zendaya will be fine. She seems to have a good head on her shoulders and a strong family unit. Lindsay lacked that. Both parents were on drugs and encouraged bad behavior by participating in it with her and not acknowledging there was a problem. Val said the truest statement on finals night. A child's success and downfall starts with the parents. Luckily Zendaya won in the parenting department. They look like they have no problem pulling her by the bootstraps if she goes awry when she enters adulthood.

I expect her to start to steer away from the "teen" thing in a few years. She can only do that for so long before it becomes inauthentic. It's just a matter of not going crazy trying to prove what an adult you are. Which is the trap a lot of teen stars fall into when trying to transition.

I loved that Zendaya mentioned Raven Symone first in that interview above, who far as I know, also hasn't done anything really crazy.

It's funny to think that at one time Raven and Lindsay were roommates when they became adults for a short time. My, how different they turned out. Raven has been able to steer clear of the drama and amass a wealth from having her money managed right as a teen to work only when she wants to and not because she has to. Again, it's all about the parents.

Edited by Thirteenthjuror, May 24, 2013 @ 1:46 PM.

Serendi

Serendi

Couch Potato

Posted May 24, 2013 @ 4:23 PM

Britney was on the Mickey Mouse Club reboot from 1993 to 1996.

The way Zendaya's parents are being careful with her is great. Ron and Clint Howard had everyone trying to give them as normal an upbringing as possible despite being kid actors; Malcolm Jamal Warner talks of how when he was 13 his mother made him come to the meetings about investing his money. He didn't like it at the time but he greatly appreciates it now.

Thirteenthjuror

Thirteenthjuror

Fanatic

Posted May 24, 2013 @ 6:54 PM

Britney was on the Mickey Mouse Club reboot from 1993 to 1996.

Yes, you're right. I always forget that's how Britney, Justin and Christina began. I never knew that about MJW. It's great to hear about the success stories of teen stars, since we're often inundated with the tragic ones more. Hence, Amanda Bynes right now.

spanana

spanana

Stalker

Posted May 24, 2013 @ 7:29 PM

Not to jinx it, but I honestly think this one will be fine.  As said, she seems to have a strong support system and parents who are actively willing to parent.  That in and of itself seems to be a rarity in Hollywood.

Admittedly I don't follow Kellie that closely, but I haven't seen that much of her since her win either.  Mind you though DWTS isn't quite what it once was where you automatically got tons of talk show appearances.  Outside of GMA and Kelly and Michael, I'd imagine the rest of Zendaya's press tour appearances are things being booked by her own team.  Though she and Cheryl seem to be doing some of the same rounds.  They both did a Huff Post Live sitdown yesterday and they both were on the WPIX news this morning as well.   I'd imagine it's up to Kellie's management and etc. to keep the ball rolling in terms of press and capitalize off the momentum.

missysays

missysays

Channel Surfer

Posted May 29, 2013 @ 3:21 PM

Some last reflections from Zendaya on her journey with DWTS...

http://www.accesshol...3_article_80097

She's great- wishing her all the best success in her future endeavors! Hope she never needs her "Russian army" but it's so nice to know that it's there. ;-) So sweet.

Edited by missysays, May 29, 2013 @ 3:22 PM.

Kromm

Kromm

Fanatic

Posted Jun 3, 2013 @ 7:12 PM

I think she will become a pioneer for Tall women in the industry.  I mean women who are over 5'10( Taylor swift is this ht when last I checked) , thin and pretty who are more than model material or uber athletes -- those fields have their respective beauty's but ther are few women of height.  She can really give hope to young women of height that the sky really is the limit .

Unless a person has lived it themself, it is hard to understand why this is so groundbreaking.  Unless you are good looking enough to be a model or talented in the sports field.. it is hard for tall women in society. I am not going to go on and on... I know other women of ht have their own issue's as well.

Since both Taylor Swift and Zendaya ARE that good looking, wouldn't that default the whole point?

Edited by Kromm, Jun 3, 2013 @ 7:13 PM.

dancingonmyown

dancingonmyown

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 12, 2013 @ 10:09 PM

Zendaya's first single. Honestly, I kind of like it. Not groundbreaking but certainly better than anything Selena Gomez has put out and she's selling like gangbusters right now.

http://www.youtube.c...p;v=1JiKNkXFMB0

Edited by dancingonmyown, Jul 12, 2013 @ 10:10 PM.

spanana

spanana

Stalker

Posted Jul 18, 2013 @ 7:00 PM

She's been making the promo rounds in NY to support her surprisingly un-Disney single (in a good way) and doing all that good stuff.  But she was in NY less than 24 hrs before she posted a pic of herself with Maks & Val, at what looked like a family dinner of sorts.  Then the next day she and her family went to see Maks & Karina in Forever Tango. 

Then today this little gem of a video was posted on the Dance With Me channel, featuring Zendaya, Val & Maks.  Looks like they filmed it backstage at Forever Tango.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=P9I5Y-a0Yg8

Sounds like DWM is doing some sort of DWM Juniors deal and the above implies that Zendaya will be involved in some upcoming workshop/intensive.   So yeah, needless to say these two are staying in touch.

Edited by spanana, Jul 18, 2013 @ 7:03 PM.

sintin

sintin

Fanatic

Posted Jul 22, 2013 @ 7:34 PM

Hee, that promo was really cute. Height differences aside, I think Val and Zendaya were the perfect partnership, but now I'm morbidly curious to know how Maks would have handled Zendaya.

It surprises me how much I'm rooting for this kid after DWTS. Especially after I came across this interview:

Disney's Zendaya Discusses her Future

It's long but a really good interview. It's so cute that she considers herself a ballroom dancer now. I love how frank she is about just how VERY ambitious she is, but I don't sense any self delusion or ego from her, just a healthy dose of confidence and swagger without verging into obnoxiousness (though I did roll my eyes when she pulled ye old child actor standard "I couldn't possibly imagine sitting in a classroom!" line).

Hilary Duff, Miley Cyrus and Selena Gomez are household names but I feel like after a quick whirlwind of post-DC success that included movies with diminishing returns, they're now mostly irrelevant as entertainers. Duff seems to be doing the baby strolling for paparazzi gig, Miley continues to be a hot embarrassing mess and Selena, well, I don't know. I suppose her "music" career is chugging along but watching her perform gives me second-hand embarrassment and it seems like she's more well known for being Justin Bieber's ex and starring in Spring Breakers than the comedic timing she displayed during her DC run.

It would be quite a waste IMO if Zendaya  tries to do everything at once, a la Hilary and Miley once her show ends, before quickly fizzling out of pop culture after a few years. I don't know that she'll be the next Beyonce like CAI predicted, but I hope she has a real shot at a legitimate career that will extend beyond Disney if she and her team play their cards right. It's like Val said during their first rehearsal package IIRC: "I don't want you to be good, I want you to be incredible. Every time."

EmbraceTheDark

EmbraceTheDark

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 12, 2013 @ 6:43 PM

So nice seeing Zendaya last night! She's one of my favorite contestants (I still find myself watching many of her dances with Val) and I'm still a little bitter she didn't win.

Looks like her career is going very well these days. Awesome! She deserves that success and seems to have a good head on her shoulders. 

dzidas

dzidas

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 12, 2013 @ 8:32 PM

I loved seeing Zendaya in the audience too. It was a little bittersweet though because it also reminded me of how this last season ended, especially with Kellie being there too. And too bad Liz was eliminated exactly that night when Zendaya came to support them.

I still re-watch many of her dances and I have to say I can't help but compare all new contestants, both on DWTS and on Strictly, to Zendaya. There's been many past contestants who were technically great and, without doubt, there's a lot of good technical dancers to come, but there is something so special about Zendaya that makes her and her routines simply unforgettable. That paso doble!

ladongas

ladongas

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 25, 2013 @ 6:37 PM

Here are some pix of Zendaya at the AMA last night.  She looks quite grownup and cute.

http://tomandlorenzo...sic-awards.html

sintin

sintin

Fanatic

Posted Nov 25, 2013 @ 9:15 PM

I saw some gifsets comparing her with Disney's Pocahontas and she really did look stunning. I know the show has been throwing out the red carpet for Kellie, rightfully so, but it would be nice to see Zendaya make a cameo during the finale as well. I'd like to think if she'd won the show would have her performing Tuesday night too.