Wendell & Vinnie

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

2 replies to this topic

Stinger97

Stinger97

Stalker

Posted Feb 25, 2013 @ 1:16 AM

Has anyone been watching? It stars Jerry Trainor (of iCarly and Drake & Josh fame) as Uncle Vinnie, the caretaker of the painfully nerdy Wendell, played by Buddy Handleson. I caught the pilot episode on Hulu last night and was surprised by the brand of humor they're pushing. iCarly was always subtly risque, but here things are a bit more... in your face. That's not to say that it's a bad thing.

I will say, however, that the set design is sorely lacking when compared to shows like iCarly and Victorious. Vinnie's apartment is pretty typical, except it's full of his collection of movie props and memorabilia.

Nicole Sullivan is fun as the hard-nosed lawyer/aunt who thinks she, not Vinnie, should have custody of Wendell. I think I'm going to like her in the role.

All in all, the first episode was fun and I think once the cast gets used to one another, things will start to gel better. It took iCarly awhile to hit its stride, and I expect the same here. Either way, I'm glad to see Trainor on a new sitcom.

twtexas17

twtexas17

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 25, 2013 @ 1:18 PM

When I first started seeing previews I was disappointed that they made Jerry's new character the same as Spencer. THEN, when I watched the show, I noticed it was more of an adult type show. So I am happy again. I think Nick needs to make clear that this show is more adult than iCarly and the other shows that used to be in the time slot, because I was totally thrown when I heard Jerry curse. The show is okay so far and I've always been a fan of Nicole Sullivan since MadTV, but I do wonder how the ratings have been.

redshirtx

redshirtx

Fanatic

Posted Mar 2, 2013 @ 2:29 PM

After watching the first two episodes Vinnie is more than a little similar to Spencer Shay IMO, but it kind of works here. Maybe it's because here Vinnie actually has a friend and a crazy sister to balance his own crazy (which, to be fair, isn't as full-blown manchild as Spencer's was) out. The show's a little overly saccharine in spots, but that's probably to be expected for its first episodes; I'm at least willing to give it a chance, if largely for Jerry and Nicole Sullivan.