The Americans in the Media

• Please log in to reply

261 replies to this topic

Hal25

Hal25

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 13, 2014 @ 3:35 PM

Well, it looks like CBS has renewed The Millers for a second season. Great for Margo Martindale to have a steady gig, but what does this mean for Claudia? Will she make fewer visits to check up on her operatives or be 'retired' and The Center will assign a new handler for Philizabeth?

One possible answer below if you want it:

Spoiler

Edited by Hal25, Mar 13, 2014 @ 3:36 PM.

SweetAndSour413

SweetAndSour413

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 13, 2014 @ 7:08 PM

Ok, I'm officially worried about the ratings for this show - its been crashing and now I'm afraid it'll be canceled.  Anyone hear any news?  I just discovered this show and I love it, so I'm crossing my fingers!

Hal25

Hal25

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 13, 2014 @ 7:32 PM

Yeah, I'm worried too. It fell again this week. It's such a good show I have my fingers crossed FX will give it another year, but unfortunately I think it won't continue to get renewed indefinitely if the ratings don't improve.

BW Manilowe

BW Manilowe

Fanatic

Posted Mar 13, 2014 @ 7:35 PM

Ok, I'm officially worried about the ratings for this show - its been crashing and now I'm afraid it'll be canceled.  Anyone hear any news?  I just discovered this show and I love it, so I'm crossing my fingers!

There's a Ratings & Scheduling thread, which is a better/the right place to put this. But I don't think we have to worry about the ratings... I haven't heard it's "crashing", as you put it. But I've only heard the Ep 201 ratings, which were lower than the Ep 101 ratings (series premiere last season) but considered nothing to worry about.

Mary Jane Fields

Mary Jane Fields

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 14, 2014 @ 5:16 PM

You are right, Hal25. Thanks.

Pixie16

Pixie16

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 15, 2014 @ 8:54 AM

Maybe the time slot change is the cause for the ratings drop.

On a positive note, The Americans beat out Homeland:
http://www.hollywood...which-is-better

Hal25

Hal25

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 15, 2014 @ 9:30 AM

Did they change the time slot? It didn't change where I am.

I am loving all the critical acclaim the show is getting. It seems it's well recognized for its quality. I'm just worried that the ratings are what's ultimately going to matter. For a lot of reasons, it's a show people are more likely to tape and watch later on their own rather than it being a show to be on TV live for the whole household.

BW Manilowe

BW Manilowe

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2014 @ 1:12 PM

Maybe the time slot change is the cause for the ratings drop.

On a positive note, The Americans beat out Homeland:
http://www.hollywood...which-is-better

The timeslot is exactly the same as S1, as Hal25 said. So that can't necessarily be the problem.

icouldntresist

icouldntresist

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 15, 2014 @ 1:45 PM

The timeslot is exactly the same as S1, as Hal25 said. So that can't necessarily be the problem.

I think there was an un-necessary Olympic delay didn't help in combination with real world events. Then the harsh winter in prime markets won't help because many have to get up an hour or two early in bad weather to make the work commute. But to start this near the beginning of March is tough because there has already been a ton of new tv on. Also spring is prime weather is just about all parts of the country. I don't think as many are focusing as to what is on tv as much. But I think the Olympic delay is the biggest factor.

Hal25

Hal25

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 15, 2014 @ 2:35 PM

I think there was an un-necessary Olympic delay didn't help in combination with real world events. Then the harsh winter in prime markets won't help because many have to get up an hour or two early in bad weather to make the work commute. But to start this near the beginning of March is tough because there has already been a ton of new tv on. Also spring is prime weather is just about all parts of the country. I don't think as many are focusing as to what is on tv as much. But I think the Olympic delay is the biggest factor.

Yeah, I worried about that. But then there wasn't much else they could do. Basically every TV program on the air showed repeats because it was going to be a huge hit to ratings. I think they were hoping showing previews during Justified would help, but I don't think it has. They probably would get more bang if they started in mid-January and I think it would've helped if they'd made a bigger deal out of re-airing the first season.

Scrb

Scrb

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2014 @ 3:02 PM

Thing is, I recall very little promotion of season 1 last year.

Just happen to catch it because I read an article somewhere.

This year, they were promoting for months.

I've seen it during all the FX shows.

Pixie16

Pixie16

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 15, 2014 @ 6:58 PM

By timeslot -- I meant day & time. Didn't they switch from Sunday to Wednesday in the States? I could be wrong, since I am forced to downlad from iTunes now as I'm overseas.

BW Manilowe

BW Manilowe

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2014 @ 8:44 PM

By timeslot -- I meant day & time. Didn't they switch from Sunday to Wednesday in the States? I could be wrong, since I am forced to downlad from iTunes now as I'm overseas.

No, they've always aired on Wednesdays (at 10PM Eastern) in the States, since Ep 101. I know that's true 'cause I gave up watching Chicago Fire, which aired on NBC opposite the show in S1, once this show started & that aired on NBC on Wednesdays at 10PM Eastern at the time.

fastiller

fastiller

Fanatic

Posted Mar 23, 2014 @ 5:02 PM

Slate's Gabfest, airing in NYC on WNYC, had a bit on the show. The link won't be pretty because my tablet doesn't like to let me do pretty.It's about halfway through; unfortunately the don't post parts of the programme, just the full show.

http://www.wnyc.org/...ncible-edition/

scowl

scowl

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 26, 2014 @ 5:55 PM

An article on the production was in last month's American Cinematographer. I'll summarize the non-nerdy stuff. Last season the rezidentura was a room they rented at Columbia University. They've duplicated it as a separate set. As previously mentioned, the show is shot in Brooklyn with various locations around New York. They like to do scenes in cars because that's when P&E can be most open. 

Now the nerdy stuff. The show is shot using old Zeiss primes from the 80's and a Cooke zoom lens that's almost as old. These out-dated lenses have barrel distortion and fall off around the edges of the image but the center of the image pops out. Close ups are always done with normal length lenses giving a less glamorous look than the long lenses that normally used.

They shoot with the Arri Alexa and have a series of "looks" that they've programmed into it. That gives the appearance of the show a lot of consistency and speeds things up. They prefer to use standard clunky tungsten and HMI lights from the era which gives it sort of a flat look but not ridiculously bright like shows from the era. The show has an unusually large number of scenes where there is no natural light and this gives them opportunities to leave lots of dark areas in the image (for example when Phillip was being interrogated).

They got rid of the Steadicam this season and are shooting everything on tripods or dollies and carefully steady handheld shots.

crgirl412

crgirl412

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 26, 2014 @ 6:24 PM

I love to learn about stuff like that.  I know nothing about cinematography but think that it's very cool that they put so much thought into keeping with the flavor of the 80's by using cameras from that era. 

JayVee1210

JayVee1210

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 27, 2014 @ 1:46 AM

ditto.

I like the old lenses but why not go for broke and shoot with old 35mm Arri 35SRs too while they're at it? Boo that they got rid of  the steadicam. One thing I never liked was the overly shaky cam handheld shots. Handheld works for the tense scenes like Phillip in the bathroom with the Mossad agent but not for every shot.

scowl

scowl

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 27, 2014 @ 11:06 AM

I like the old lenses but why not go for broke and shoot with old 35mm Arri 35SRs too while they're at it? 

Because they don't produce a television series to "go for broke". Shooting on the Alexa is much cheaper than 35mm film. A majority of television series are shot with digital cameras these days. That's why Fuji is out of the film business and Kodak had to declare bankruptcy.

Boo that they got rid of  the steadicam. One thing I never liked was the overly shaky cam handheld shots. 

Watch the handheld shots on The Americans. You can get steady handheld shots with some effort and it helps that they shoot with wide lenses. They're doing the camera motion on dolly tracks instead of having the camera operator walk around. 

Now that it's not a spoiler, DP Richard Rutkowski said he was proud of last night's scene where Phillip is driving the expatriate Soviet hostage from the warehouse:

You can see he does not want to listen to a word this man says. We did that as a driving scene in the rain, with light coming on and off our guest star, but the light was consistently on Philip so you could see how the words were hitting him.

Edited by scowl, Mar 27, 2014 @ 11:07 AM.

Baby Fish Mouth

Baby Fish Mouth

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2014 @ 2:33 PM

Keri Russell and Matthew Rhys attend play in New York together.

I'm betting they are in fact dating, they just don't want to talk about it for obvious reasons.

BW Manilowe

BW Manilowe

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2014 @ 2:07 PM

People Magazine now says Matthew & Keri are an offscreen couple too:

http://www.people.co...0802179,00.html

Edited by BW Manilowe, Apr 1, 2014 @ 2:08 PM.

JayVee1210

JayVee1210

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 3, 2014 @ 4:11 AM

Sorry, posted this in the wrong thread.

Keri Russell has apparently been linked romantically with her onscreen partner, Matthew Rhys. I always thought it would be very easy for co-stars to get involved with each other , considering all of  the time spent and intimate scenes together.

http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.1741813

BW Manilowe

BW Manilowe

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2014 @ 6:09 PM

Pete Townshend (The Who) writes song for The Americans, per the Hollywood Reporter's Twitter:

https://twitter.com/...216319463936000