12-12: "Las Vegas: Guys Night I" 2013.02.21

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

78 replies to this topic

Mia Nina

Mia Nina

Fanatic

Posted Feb 22, 2013 @ 8:03 PM

I can't believe Elijah made it over Johnny.

Forgot to add that I couldn't watch Charlie's performance because he was visibly shaking. I'm an anxious person so I can't watch someone perform when they're visibly nervous. I can't believe he made it either.

Blah.

Edited by Mia Nina, Feb 22, 2013 @ 8:06 PM.

Nedsdag

Nedsdag

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 22, 2013 @ 9:10 PM

Should we be looking for JDA to appear on the next season of Drag Race? I say, after the years Idol spent shoving their gay contestants as far back into the closet as they could in the name of 'family entertainment', flame on!

All he has to do is shave, get better makeup, and a better stage name and he would be a top tier candidate on RuPaul's show next season.

As for gay contestants being so vocal, once Jason Brock did this on last year's X Factor, that same closet is literally open.

Curtis should change his last name to Payne because that is what he looks like. He seems to be in pain when he is singing.

I like Charlie, but like that Lowenstein kid from last season, his schtick isn't going to get past Top 20.

IMHO, I truly think Nigel and the judges are so determined for a girl to win this year that they casted some of the most uncharismatic, least talented boys I've seen since Season 6. Unfortunately, the girls aren't all that awe inspiring either, Kree and Angela notwithstanding.

Edited by Nedsdag, Feb 22, 2013 @ 10:13 PM.

IWalkAlone

IWalkAlone

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 22, 2013 @ 9:24 PM

I think no one should sing Jason Mraz, Kelly Clarkson or Bruno Mars on a singing competition.

Let's add Whitney Houston and Adele to that list.

BogoGog24

BogoGog24

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 23, 2013 @ 12:13 AM

Speaking of Adele, I gotta give JDA credit for at least singing a different Adele song besides "Rolling in the Deep" or "Set Fire to the Rain." I was expecting him to sing Lady Gaga or Adam Lambert.

themadman

themadman

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 23, 2013 @ 2:45 PM

I have no problem with gay people, I have no problem with cross-dressing people, but cross-dressing AND leaving 3-day stubble on your face? Surely that's a fashion faux pas, JDA?

But yes, agree that guys are cannon fodder this year, being weird doesn't make you a good singer (hello Mr. Askew), and if you're 25 and appearing to be 40, you're doing something wrong (hello, Curtis).

BogoGog24

BogoGog24

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 23, 2013 @ 5:54 PM

The mystery of Charlie has been solved: On Facebook his dad said Charlie hadn't eaten anything all day and it completely threw him off. No wonder why he looked like he was going to pass out!

LennieB

LennieB

Fanatic

Posted Feb 23, 2013 @ 7:40 PM

Then Charlie was stupid.

tick talk

tick talk

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 23, 2013 @ 8:09 PM

The mystery of Charlie has been solved: On Facebook his dad said Charlie hadn't eaten anything all day and it completely threw him off. No wonder why he looked like he was going to pass out!

Then Charlie was stupid.

Charlie is a minor and presumably has at least one parent with him. On top of Charlie being stupid, his parent was stupid to not insist he eat at least a few bites of something.

Mycenaeus

Mycenaeus

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 23, 2013 @ 9:20 PM

I think no one should sing Jason Mraz, Kelly Clarkson or Bruno Mars on a singing competition.

Let's add Mariah to the list. Definitely don't want to hear anyone warbling through "Hero" again.
No more Keith Urban songs either, Paul Jolley.
And for the love of God, no more Gotye.
I'm assuming Nicki songs are not an option, since that would be rap. But heck, let's add her songs to the banned list as well- just in case Zoanette gets any crazy ideas (although that could be fun. LOL)

Edited by Mycenaeus, Feb 23, 2013 @ 9:21 PM.

cocopuffy

cocopuffy

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 23, 2013 @ 9:21 PM

has it been said that Curtis Finch looks a lot like Kenan Thompson?

rustyspigot

rustyspigot

Fanatic

• Interests:TV and Sarcasm. And I love the bitches.

Posted Feb 23, 2013 @ 10:09 PM

Huh. They actually taped this week.

And I was there! Anyway, nothing much to tell from the taping other than Curtis had to sing twice do to a "camera malfunction" though they kept the judges comments from the first time he sang. The second time he was less over-the-top if you can imagine.

Also, there was a glitch with Devin's intro so they had to do that twice, so don't know how that affected him.

And then finally they had to stop filming after Kevin Harris' elimination because Mariah's mic got lost in her cleavage. Heh.

The judges deliberated for about 15 minutes after the performances with Nigel being with them the entire time. Take that as you will.

The crowd had the biggest reactions to JDA, Charlie and Curtis.

I thought Kevin Harris sounded way worse live and while Elijah has a really clear tone, it was a mess.

As I was behind the performers I mostly just saw their asses of which Chris's looked and shook the best. Why he was shaking his ass that much for Sitting on the Dock of the Bay is another question.

Oh, and Mariah came in like a parade float. With the heels and hair she towers over everyone.

Edited by rustyspigot, Feb 23, 2013 @ 10:11 PM.

IWalkAlone

IWalkAlone

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 23, 2013 @ 11:47 PM

And I was there! Anyway, nothing much to tell from the taping other than Curtis had to sing twice do to a "camera malfunction" though they kept the judges comments from the first time he sang. The second time he was less over-the-top if you can imagine.

Also, there was a glitch with Devin's intro so they had to do that twice, so don't know how that affected him.

And then finally they had to stop filming after Kevin Harris' elimination because Mariah's mic got lost in her cleavage. Heh.

The judges deliberated for about 15 minutes after the performances with Nigel being with them the entire time. Take that as you will.

The crowd had the biggest reactions to JDA, Charlie and Curtis.

I thought Kevin Harris sounded way worse live and while Elijah has a really clear tone, it was a mess.

As I was behind the performers I mostly just saw their asses of which Chris's looked and shook the best. Why he was shaking his ass that much for Sitting on the Dock of the Bay is another question.

Oh, and Mariah came in like a parade float. With the heels and hair she towers over everyone.

Thanks for the inside info! Can you attend all taped shows and then report back?? I'm only half kidding...

rustyspigot

rustyspigot

Fanatic

Posted Feb 24, 2013 @ 12:00 AM

Can you attend all taped shows and then report back?? I'm only half kidding...

I just happened to be in Vegas this past week. Probably the only chance I'll have to see an episode. The stage manager was a manic mess.

I don't remember if they showed any of it, but Randy lost it during Charlie's performance.

Teagan1

Teagan1

Fanatic

Posted Feb 24, 2013 @ 10:05 AM

Let's add Mariah to the list. Definitely don't want to hear anyone warbling through "Hero" again.
No more Keith Urban songs either, Paul Jolley.
And for the love of God, no more Gotye.

A couple of seasons ago, the entire AI approved song list was released (it's been updated since, of course) and I'm still stunned at all of the great songs that are passed by for the same old boring ones we hear over and over again. Also, the number of fun, upbeat ones that don't sound like they'd be that hard to sing (I'm not a singer, so I don't know for sure, but when listening to them they seem like they'd be easier).

They really need a "No ballads" theme night.

There weren't a lot of girls that I was impressed with, but I think they all beat the guys hands down!

plotpointer2

plotpointer2

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 24, 2013 @ 10:54 AM

That totally explains a couple of things. If you look at the cutaway shots after Curtis's performance, Randy is not in his chair. Then he reappears when Ryan throws to commercial. I was wondering if he had a bathroom emergency during the live show.

I also thought the show might go over the two hours because the judges were taking so long with their critiques.

I will give Idol credit for the great editing that made the show appear to be live, as opposed to the awful editing on X-Factor where the audience clapping abrubtly starts and stops.

IWalkAlone

IWalkAlone

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 24, 2013 @ 3:00 PM

I don't remember if they showed any of it, but Randy lost it during Charlie's performance.

What do you mean? Was he mad? I hope so. That performance was terrible.

rustyspigot

rustyspigot

Fanatic

Posted Feb 24, 2013 @ 3:48 PM

What do you mean? Was he mad? I hope so. That performance was terrible.

He was mimicking Charlie's mic moves and laughing his ass off.

metalmickey

metalmickey

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 25, 2013 @ 11:04 AM

They really need a "No ballads" theme night.

Yes! Overall, these were some of the dullest songs I've ever heard all in one place (same for the girls), but it's never going to change if every single one of the contestants who try something uptempo get canned, as they all did (girls and boys) this week in these "sudden death" rounds... I really wish there wasn't this ballad-centric view, but I guess it's kind of a given when you have The Mariah on the panel.

Zanzibar

Zanzibar

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 7, 2013 @ 10:04 PM

Could someone with a better memory than me answer a question? My recollection from the tie-breaker for Paul is that he was not the last of the five chosen that night. I thought Jimmy broke the tie about Paul, and then the last of the five guys was chosen from the two remaining contestants.

Or do I have that wrong?

Never mind. I realized after I posted that I could watch video at the Idol website and was able to answer my own question.

Edited by Zanzibar, Mar 7, 2013 @ 10:18 PM.