Thomas: It's Mr. Barrow, Now

• Please log in to reply

77 replies to this topic

GeorgeHo1987

GeorgeHo1987

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 22, 2013 @ 1:46 PM

Or I bet the new Valet will be either nasty (or kind) as Thomas.

Edited by GeorgeHo1987, Apr 22, 2013 @ 1:47 PM.

Constantinople

Constantinople

Fanatic

Posted Jan 21, 2014 @ 10:39 AM

Perhaps the thread title should be updated to Mr Barrow.

klopek

klopek

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 21, 2014 @ 12:13 PM

I second that motion.

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 21, 2014 @ 1:42 PM

Or perhaps,

"Thomas?"

"I'm Mr Barrow, now. "

dirtybubble

dirtybubble

Fanatic

Posted Jan 21, 2014 @ 4:32 PM

I do like his character and I wish they would give him a decent story line.  I acutally enjoyed, however far fetched, last seasons story line with him and Jimmy and I wish they would give him something to do other than through one-liners out there.

helenamonster

helenamonster

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 21, 2014 @ 5:10 PM

Well, now that it looks like he'll be bringing an ally on as Cora's new lady's maid, he'll probably be back to scheming 24/7.

lottiedottie

lottiedottie

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 22, 2014 @ 9:29 PM

I would love to see some character development for Thomas. He's been through a lot, getting the shit beat out of him last season ought to have changed his heart a little bit, no? I like that he's kind of cocky, but he also has a kindness to him. Since O'Brien is gone, can't he become a nicer person?

dirtybubble

dirtybubble

Fanatic

Posted Jan 28, 2014 @ 2:53 PM

I believe he has mellowed out a little since O'Brien left but I don't think he will ever go in the direction of complete 180 nice guy.  I am dying to know what his relationship with the new Lady's Maid is exactly.  He helped her get hired to be a spy?!  So he can find out what is going on upstairs?  Since his promotion doesn't he have more access to the upstairs gossip himself? 

helenamonster

helenamonster

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 28, 2014 @ 5:49 PM

I think Thomas actually has less access to upstairs gossip now that he's not dressing anyone. Hence the need to find a lady's maid who will pass things on along to him. He's an opportunist; he can't afford to miss out on something that could possibly benefit him.

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 28, 2014 @ 5:51 PM

He told Miss Baxter that he should have befriended people downstairs, not made enemies - maybe he's turning a corner? It's still all about himself, and how he can get an advantage, but maybe he's going to see if being nice works.

ProfCrash

ProfCrash

Stalker

Posted Jan 29, 2014 @ 9:25 AM

Yeah but on one downstairs will buy his being nice to people.

SingingCook

SingingCook

Just Tuned In

Posted Feb 1, 2014 @ 12:44 AM

Thomas needs to find something to do other than blackmailing and scheming.  It's getting tiresome.   I mean, can't they give his character some depth.   He is really becoming one-note, and it's a slimy, awful note.  

At least O'Brien was witty and snarky on occasion, and showed she had a heart.  (Remember the ill-fated valet?)

RCTina

RCTina

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 1, 2014 @ 8:16 PM

Thomas has shown he has a heart many more times than O'Brien ever did.   There was the whole Jimmy thing last season.  He was obviously very fond of Sybil.  He wept when she died and when the blind soldier died. You can see him crying after the Duke rejects him in Season 1 

SingingCook

SingingCook

Just Tuned In

Posted Feb 2, 2014 @ 1:45 PM

I didn't mind him in season 1 and part of 2, but he was schemey and slimy even then.   I'll give you Sybil, but I still say it's a shame that he didn't let more of the way she treated people rub off on him.    With the Jimmy thing, I'm of two minds.   Yes, they were friends in the end, but I think that if Jimmy had *just* rejected Thomas, and not created a situation where Thomas feared his life/livelyhood would be ruined, Thomas would have found a bunch of ways to make Jimmy's life miserable.

Or maybe I'm just anti-Thomas right now because I can't stand the dynamic between he and Baxter,nor the way he interacts with some other characters.

Katrinawitch

Katrinawitch

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 6, 2014 @ 2:54 PM

I have to say, I'm so glad that O'Brien is gone.  She brought out the worst in Thomas.  The two of them, evil-ly plotting in the corner, could be the stuff drinking-games are made of!  I missed S1, and part of S2, so I missed the whole stramash with the Duke and the Turk, but hope to catch up soon on DVD.  Anyway, I'm so glad Fellowes liked the actor, and the character of Thomas, enough to keep him around, because Rob James-Collier is so dishy and swoon-worthy!  I guess the 'morals' of the day prevent Thomas from getting an actual romantic storyline.  I do want to know what kind of dope he has on Baxter, though!

If anyone has not seen the 1987 film "Maurice," based on EM Forster's novel, I think it's worth a watch to shed some light on Thomas' character. The gamekeeper/servant (I am not sure what is role is) Scutter senses gentleman Maurice Hall is attracted to him, and he actually risks climbing a ladder up to his window to liaison with him (without any advance warning or direct indication that this advance would be welcome). But it works out for him. So maybe Thomas' line to Carson about reading the signs and acting on them despite the risk is historically accurate.

"Maurice" is one of my all-time favorite movies.  I'd definitely recommend it; it takes place in the years before WWI, and addresses not only sexuality, but more importantly class distinctions and how they affect the life decisions of the three main characters.  It's worth viewing; it's a gorgeous looking movie (being a Merchant/Ivory production), but also features a very young Hugh Grant as the upper-class Clive Durham, on whose estate much of the action takes place..

There are differences to the Thomas situation in Downton, though.  Alec Scudder (played by a beautiful young Rupert Graves, who is currently playing Lestrade in the BBC's "Sherlock") is the under-gamekeeper, one of the lower outdoor servants on the estate.  He decides to make a move on Maurice Hall, and is quite successful; however, there had been much talk in the 'downstairs' area about the relationship between Clive and Maurice, which I'm sure is why he felt so brave about making the move. 

TWoP Roxy

TWoP Roxy

TWoP Moderator

Posted Feb 6, 2014 @ 3:53 PM

Stick to discussing Downton only here, please. And Thomas in particular.

Sunshine55

Sunshine55

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 10, 2014 @ 12:44 PM

I feel like Thomas is getting the shaft this season a little bit. What has he done besides implore.threaten Baxter about getting more secrets? I think it's a waste of Rob James-Collier's talents not to give the guy a storyline a little more substantial than trying to stir up intrigue.

Constantinople

Constantinople

Fanatic

Posted Feb 11, 2014 @ 1:19 PM

I feel they wasted a golden opportunity to develop Thomas's character as a result of WWI.

I'm not saying he'd come out of it sweetness and light, only that he might have stopped caring about day-to-day backbiting, or at least had a different atitude about it, after seeing friends and lovers blown apart.

But now that's water under the bridge.