Hannibal: Mads Mikkelsen on American TV!

• Please log in to reply

4067 replies to this topic

Winston9

Winston9

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 15, 2014 @ 11:21 AM

seriously I can't imagine her practicing after this. Like what kind of therapy can she give anyone when she was romantically involved with a guy who was a sociopath of the highest order and never had an inkling of suspicion. It's like her credibility is all but shot after this. 

It's not like tv characters have any job to do outside the case/patients in the show itself, anyway.  

I've never heard of steam tunnels.  I figured Fuller was joking.  Heh.  I'm going to assume it's like how the smoke monster got around Lost island.  Fantasy.  

Demig

Demig

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2014 @ 12:18 PM

HE CAME TO THE DOOR IN A PLASTIC SUIT!

I think the FBI's saw Hannibal, and was like 'Whoa!' just a bit thrown off by the plastic onesie, but it is Hannibal who they know and respect.  And I am sure he had a very reasonable explanation like he was helping Chilton paint or something.  Then, he probably in his most reasonable and charmingly disarming way invited them in and indicated that Chilton was downstairs taking a rest/painting or what ever.  Ergo, said FBI agents probably just though ok, this will be a run of the mill scenario and bonus - we have Hannibal to help out.

Et voila - surprise disembowelment and woundings!

MisaGoddess

MisaGoddess

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2014 @ 12:28 PM

I love the idea of steam tunnels - but if Hannibal is travelling in his usual 3 piece suit AND the plastic murder onesie, how is he not dripping with sweat? He should look like he took a shower with his clothes on. And wouldn't that plastic be noisy? Oh, well - murder wizard I guess.

Okay, what is up with those promo shots of Episode 8? There's a very interesting one of Hannibal and Will...I have got to know in what context that happens.

ETA: I was on the way to work this morning and one of my favorite songs was on - it just struck me as *perfect* for Hannibal.

Edited by MisaGoddess, Apr 15, 2014 @ 12:29 PM.

supposebly

supposebly

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2014 @ 3:36 PM

BUT, she was so wrong about believing WIll had killed all those other people*, and that doesn't give her any pause?  Even privately.

Even if she understands now that she was wrong, that doesn't automatically mean that she would believe a man who set a killer on her now boyfriend. And people don't like to be proven wrong. I don't think it makes her sympathetic, but I think it's very human.

aquarian1

aquarian1

Stalker

Posted Apr 15, 2014 @ 4:20 PM

I never said she should believe Will. I even said I can see her being friends with Hannibal and cutting Will out. But I want her to show some doubt in herself... in general. A little disbelief how should could have been so wrong about something so big. Like I said, even privately.

Edited by aquarian1, Apr 15, 2014 @ 4:24 PM.

Abra

Abra

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 15, 2014 @ 4:31 PM

I know there was a lot of rage on the internets about Beverly dying: “she was fridged, Bryan Fuller is racist”, etc. But I understand it, especially in the context of this show, and was only upset because I loved Bev and HP’s portrayal of her. But when you do something like that to a minority character, it places even more awareness on your remaining non-white-dude characters, and the writers have to tread even more carefully with how they’re treated.

So to me, that makes what they are doing with Alana even more egregious. At least last season she was trying to help Abigail; this season she exists only to be blindly stupid. She doesn’t appear to have or at least go to a job anymore, it came out that Will was framed (not just mistakenly incarcerated) and she doesn’t question that fact and that maybe what Will's saying might have some validity, and she’s sleeping with and self-righteously defending the guy Will has repeatedly warned her to stay away from. And on top of all of that she’s played by CD, who (in my opinion, of course), is just not a good actress. Or if I’m being nice, she’s just absolutely the wrong actress for this part. With Badass Bedelia MIA (for now), and knowing what happens to Freddie in Red Dragon, TPTB cannot afford this bullshit with Alana.

I've been thinking about the Minnesota Strike copycat murders...so Hannibal kills a girl and displays her in Minnesota, but where did he cook up the meat that he took to Will in that motel room? Did he fly home, cook it up in his own kitchen (which is how it appeared) then fly back with the food? I mean, I knew it didn't make sense last season, but I never cared to worry about it (and I'm not really worried about it now either.)

Yes, and the food and coffee were still hot. 

Is it entirely outside the realm of possibility that Hannibal was in another hotel room (one with its own little kitchen) next door or down the hall from Will? I'm sure he knows how to make due without a gas range or marble countertops for one day.

You know what they need to do now...an episode where we follow Hannibal for an entire day. You know, stalking his prey, killing it and setting up an elaborate display all the while getting phone calls from the team about a murder they are following; changing in and out of his plastic murder suit to pop back into the office to see his whiney patients; running to his house to start cooking an elaborate meal for Jack and him and then back to the murder display again; back home for some alibi nooky; off the murder display and back home in time for post coital breakfast with Alana. That would be one very busy episode. ;)

And they should make it their musical episode. All shows have a musical episode now, right? Hannibal is fantastical enough that it could happen.

gl_shark

gl_shark

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 15, 2014 @ 5:31 PM

HE CAME TO THE DOOR IN A PLASTIC SUIT!

I think the FBI's saw Hannibal, and was like 'Whoa!' just a bit thrown off by the plastic onesie, but it is Hannibal who they know and respect.  And I am sure he had a very reasonable explanation like he was helping Chilton paint or something.

That was sort of how I pictured it. The FBI are expecting Chilton but Hannibal opens the door . Hannibal is his usual charming self but they were probably "wtf?" and the moment they start to think "holy shit", he overpowers them.

According to Fuller, Hannibal gets around the city undetected through a series of steam tunnels that connect to his basement.

Reading that takes me back to a guy I knew in college. He had a reputation for being weird. I was afraid of him. One day we were talking, I was trying to be pleasant because I had to work with him and I asked if had plans for the summer. He told me he had blueprints or was going to get blueprints of the city tunnels to go exploring all summer. I'm not even sure if I want to google this guy now.

Edited by gl_shark, Apr 15, 2014 @ 5:32 PM.

Nell Huxleigh

Nell Huxleigh

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2014 @ 7:40 PM

I agree that Alana, and to a lesser extent Jack, have gotten a lot of flack for not being suspicious of Hannibal but there are moments I've felt they're being willfully ignorant. Jack has played along with Will's accusations at points but each time he looks for evidence, it's knocked back so he has no reason to doubt. All the evidence says no but that shouldn't negate his instinct. I think having Hannibal as a friend/confidant has several impeded his ability to see. It impeded Will's until he got caught under the bus tires for Hannibal's pure amusement, plus...ya know his brain was on fire.

I feel like the show is getting close to Mirtchell and Webb 'Identity Killer' territory. http://m.youtube.com...?v=oL895peZpqY. The investigators should have some curiosity about the guy who keeps getting accused by doctors and geniuses and whose name rhymes with a certain word they keep saying and who seems like a totally normal Average Joe who would never fetishize food, art, high metaphor...

kwerkee

kwerkee

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2014 @ 10:06 PM

Some of you may remember last year's legendary Korean promo featuring sparkles and a dancing Will Graham.

They are back! This time with boy band duets and tumblr-esque captions. I may not know what they are saying but I think we may have been watching a different show. Still love it, though!

http://youtu.be/kR_T3RCB7TA

DLJ

DLJ

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2014 @ 10:50 PM

Is it entirely outside the realm of possibility that Hannibal was in another hotel room (one with its own little kitchen) next door or down the hall from Will? I'm sure he knows how to make due without a gas range or marble countertops for one day.

Out of the range of possibility, no. But the scenes of Hannibal cooking those lungs were in a full kitchen--definitely not the same place Will was staying judging by the décor. If you think about these things too hard, it all starts to unravel...so did he carry his murderous tools with him to Minnesota or did he pick up some implements for murder once he got there. Where he got the antlers to display the girl on is also a wonder.

I like it better when I don't think about these things too much, the show is much more enjoyable that way.

Edited by DLJ, Apr 15, 2014 @ 11:06 PM.

kwerkee

kwerkee

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2014 @ 11:38 PM

Back then, some of posters here said Hannibal probably had gotten his own accommodations. He wouldn't have rough it out at a motel. He probably paid to stay at one of those short-holiday condos. Paid out of his own pocket, of course.

Of course, f you closely at that scene, it resembled Hannibal's kitchen. But it's so dark so one can fanwank it's not.

Edited by kwerkee, Apr 15, 2014 @ 11:39 PM.

Demig

Demig

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2014 @ 12:01 PM

He told me he had blueprints or was going to get blueprints of the city tunnels to go exploring all summer. I'm not even sure if I want to google this guy now

gl_snark, I beg, nay implore you to google him and update us!!

Snookums

Snookums

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2014 @ 4:38 PM

Hey, FBI: maybe put up some security cameras around Murder Observatory!

This has been a thorn in my side since before Chilton's "let's take a trip" surgery. One, this is an expensive public building. There is no way in 2014 that there is no security, camera, guard or otherwise. Two, it's an OBSERVATORY. At night, when the stars are out, is when it's going to be in use! Gideon and Hannibal should have been kicking and weaving their way through hordes of astrophysicists and such who had telescope time booked, not to mention groups of bored teenagers on field trips. Three, even if you wrote Gideon off as a one shot crazy episode, FINDING A FBI AGENT'S ARM on the premises should have had the entire place cordoned off semi-permanently.

Anela

Anela

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 16, 2014 @ 8:38 PM

He's not showing enough emotion this season at all especially since Beverly's death and I can't stand it!

It might be a self-protective mechanism, since he keeps warning people and they don't listen. His emotions weren't getting him anything except accusations of being crazy and delusional. I also wonder how much of it has to do with his ability to empathize with/know how Hannibal works now.  It's hopefully going to help him to catch Hannibal.

I wonder how the season will end. If we will get Hannibal in prison, or only see the outcome of the fight from the first episode.

gl_shark

gl_shark

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2014 @ 9:10 PM

Some of you may remember last year's legendary Korean promo featuring sparkles and a dancing Will Graham.

They are back!

Thanks for the link.I laughed out loud when the narrator gasped like a One Direction fangirl at the clips of shirtless Hannibal and naked Will.

I beg, nay implore you to google him and update us!!

Demig, The good news: I found no evidence of criminal activity.  I did find something. I think back then he must have been really into the Dungeons and Dragons. I have to say his demon make up is impressive and it's a good thing he didn't wear that stuff back in the school days, running around in abandoned buildings, etc. Somebody would have shot him.

kmm45

kmm45

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2014 @ 9:54 PM

Yeah, I've long since accepted that Hannibal does not take place in the real world and that a massive amount of suspension of disbelief is required to accept that he does all the things that he does, but it's moments like this that push me to the breaking point. HE CAME TO THE DOOR IN A PLASTIC SUIT!

He's out smarted Jack and Will for so long that it doesn't bother me he killed three clueless FBI agents. Maybe he found a way to trick them into the house without revealing himself and since he's probably an expert in defensive maneuvers he took all three out at once. Anyway, that was a suspension of disbelief but didn't bother me as much as other things have. I'll chalk that up to sloppy writing.

I've never heard of steam tunnels. I figured Fuller was joking. Heh. I'm going to assume it's like how the smoke monster got around Lost island. Fantasy.

I hope he was joking because that's way beyond disbelief.

Thinking how the last two episodes had some Phantom of the Opera aspects to it with Hannibal playing his harpsichord...and now Fuller with his mentioning tunnels underground...

This is funny..

http://www.themarysu...s2-e5-yakimono/

Edited by kmm45, Apr 16, 2014 @ 10:07 PM.

AngrierGeek

AngrierGeek

Channel Surfer

Posted Yesterday, 11:13 AM

I think the FBI's saw Hannibal, and was like 'Whoa!' just a bit thrown off by the plastic onesie, but it is Hannibal who they know and respect.  And I am sure he had a very reasonable explanation like he was helping Chilton paint or something.

If they know Hannibal then they know Will has been accusing Hannibal of being a serial killer. Then when they go to pick up someone accused of being the killer, he opens the door in a plasic suit. Unarmed, no less, but still he takes them? Not to mention, Chilton is easily seen on floor behind him.

It's suspension of disbelief, period. Either one accepts it or one does not, because it's not even pretending to make sense. The problem is, every week the show keeps upping the level required. It's not like the film, where it moved too fast to dwell on how middle-aged Anthony Hopkins managed to mount the body of a 200 pound man with no assistance, then move the other to top of an elevator and all quickly enough so that no one noticed an undue lack of communicaiton. We have ample time here and it works against the show because it keeps pulling you out of the moment.

Edited by AngrierGeek, Yesterday, 11:27 AM.

fuzzysneakers

fuzzysneakers

Video Archivist

Posted Yesterday, 12:26 PM

OMG Kwerkee that was awesome!! What I wouldn't give for sub titles.  The Koreans truly are Hannigram shippers!