24-13: "Hardly Kirk-ing" 2013.02.17

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

5 replies to this topic

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted Feb 17, 2013 @ 7:58 PM

From SNPP:

Bart and Milhouse take advantage of the fact that, thanks to a shaving mishap, Milhouse now looks just like his father; Marge thinks there's a problem with the "children's" shows Maggie watches

BTW, the short "Maggie Simpson in: The Longest Daycare" airs right after this episode!

ETA: Heh, Game of Thrones couch gag.

"Finally, a children's show that isn't trying to sell you something. Speaking of which, we need to order more rectangles."

Man, it was really weird to hear Kirk's voice come out of Milhouse's mouth, mannerisms and all. I liked that Lisa was the only person to see through the disguise. It's true, Kirk really is more of a man than Milhouse...but not by much. I did love how putting his tie too tight turned him into Duffman. But almost getting laid...that was weird.

Such a nice callback that Maggie gets withdrawal symptoms from no tv. Apple doesn't fall far from the tree, really. Speaking of which, I liked Homer's little plot of developing finding skills thanks to Highlights. Man, I loved that part of the magazine as a kid.

Edited by InvaderNorbert, Feb 17, 2013 @ 8:26 PM.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Feb 17, 2013 @ 8:32 PM

Simpsons, I have a lot of residual love for you and the short was good (always nice to see the Ayn Rand School for Tots again), but I'm rooting for Paperman.

Tell Her No

Tell Her No

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 17, 2013 @ 8:39 PM

Okay, I THOUGHT I watched the screen for the entire time, but how did Milhouse "grow"? Gah! Always missing the most important points of the plot!

Awww....I loved the machine that misdiagnosed Maggie's intelligence--and of course, the return of the Ayn Rand nursery school, but the thick-eyebrow shadow gag was precious. And such beautiful colors and artwork--I even noticed on my ancient TV. Since I haven't seen any of the other nominated shorts, I'll root for this one.

futurechemist

futurechemist

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 17, 2013 @ 9:43 PM

Okay, I THOUGHT I watched the screen for the entire time, but how did Milhouse "grow"?

A combination of metal buckets and stilts if I recall correctly.

I'm glad Bart didn't try to dig out the epoxy with a bone. We all know how that would have turned out.

This episode had an interesting philosophical undercurrent - how much are we like our parents? The show argues we're a lot like them. Milhouse is Kirk, Bart is Homer and Homer is Abe. Not having the Simpsons gene, I'm guessing Maggie will turn out like Lisa, DVD notwithstanding. This was one of the better episodes in a while. I had quite a few laughs, and it made me think.

I missed the details, in the flashback to Bart and Lisa watching Baby Poindexter, were they watching a DVD or a VHS? I guess it could have been a DVD ~6 years ago. And now I feel old.

Edited by futurechemist, Feb 17, 2013 @ 9:44 PM.

Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Stalker

Posted Feb 19, 2013 @ 11:41 AM

Baby Poindexter

The fact that those videos were called Baby Poindexter was hilarious.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Feb 19, 2013 @ 1:50 PM

Simpsons, I have a lot of residual love for you and the short was good (always nice to see the Ayn Rand School for Tots again), but I'm rooting for Paperman.

I liked Fresh Guacamole best, but it's probably too short to win.