22-1: "Business in the Front, Party in the Back" 2013.02.17

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

205 replies to this topic

TWoP Roxy

TWoP Roxy

Fanatic

Posted Feb 15, 2013 @ 12:20 PM

From zap2it.com:

The teams go skydiving from 10,000 feet in Bora Bora; three teams quit during the first sweltering roadblock.

helenbaby

helenbaby

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 17, 2013 @ 9:01 PM

I hate people like Max & Katie.

merylinkid

merylinkid

Fanatic

Posted Feb 17, 2013 @ 9:05 PM

Bora Bora is gorgeous. I so want to go there, especially right now when it is below freezing outside.

Wow, 3 teams quit and took the 4 hour penalty. That sandcaslte task rivaled the hay bales for sheer exhaustion inducing. Hated the jumping out of the helicopter. It had no way to shuffle the racers. First up was first down.

Still don't get the point of forming alliances on this show. Or lying about what you do for a living. No one cares its how your team races nothing else. I really thought the older married couple would be out first since the husband fell running to get the back packs.

ReadIshmael

ReadIshmael

Stalker

Was hoping the needlessly meanspirited newlyweds would have their bullshit plan backfire on them; too bad, not that I'd built up any affection for the firefighters.

Team Youtube is obnoxious (or he is, at least). Otherwise I more or less liked everyone else so far. I'm inclined to root against the hockey players because dude played for the 'Canes (boooo!), but I don't have a legitimate issue with anyone yet.

My God was this a mindless, boring leg design, though. I hate needle in a haystack tasks.

Arekuru

Arekuru

Loyal Viewer

I have to think a number of those teams weren't digging deep enough under the castles. Every time we saw someone get one, they had to pull it out of the sand, but it seemed most people were just leveling the castles before deciding the clue wasn't there - which of course made it harder for later teams, because they couldn't just rely on pristine castles and had to check rebuilt ones too.

I wonder if the firefighters could have gone back and tried searching for the clue again after getting last in the canoe race? Might not have been honorable, but might have kept them in. Or is it that once you say you'll skip, that's it, no takebacks?

Not a big fan of most of these teams yet, but not really hating on anyone either; not even Team Youtube, though that could be because they weren't heavily featured. Looking forward to the rest of the season!

tgrfan23

tgrfan23

Fanatic

Posted Feb 17, 2013 @ 9:06 PM

I hate people like Max & Katie.

I just straight up hate Max and Katie.

Chuck could seriously be a dead ringer for Danny McBride. I wonder if they run into any Eastbound and Down fans while on the Race?

stopeslite

stopeslite

Fanatic

Posted Feb 17, 2013 @ 9:07 PM

Lots of blond teams.
I was hoping that the firefighters would go back once they fell out of the boat to try to find a clue. But are they bound by the penalty once they declare they're taking it? Disappointing - none of them could have handled the hay bales. I was shocked at how much complaining there was about building sand castles, for pete's sake.

Ace Reject

Ace Reject

Loyal Viewer

Depending on future episodes, I think the Asian girls will be by favourite team. They figured it out very early on that they needed to play a social game and sussed out that the twin brothers were lying about their occupation.

Plus I like the fact that they already created a system on which individual will participate in a given road block or detour.

dogfoot75

dogfoot75

Fanatic

I went skydiving last fall in NZ. To do out of a helicopter over scenery like that? MAN. That'd be extraordinary.

Can't tell anyone apart yet. More of a homogenous cast than usual, I think.

WanderingSnark

WanderingSnark

Fanatic

This mass penalty-taking presents a bad precedent for this season and the Race in general. 10 of us decide not to do the next roadblock? Well we all just take the penalty... WTF?

It also left a bad taste in my mouth about the racers for this season.

NYGirl

NYGirl

Fanatic

Posted Feb 17, 2013 @ 9:11 PM

I liked most of the teams but I cannot stand Max and Katie. They belong together. I was hoping the Firefighters would not go for the plan and continue to look but they thought they could beat out the other teams in the canoe. Well how'd that turn out for you. This way we could have gotten rid of Max and Katie on Episode 1.

I like the father and son but if the father cries every single time he talks about the son that's going to change my opinion.

I love the Roller Derby girls and the hockey players. I also like the doctors. The internet people are annoying already.

I loved Bora Bora...beautiful view fro the helicopter.

Ace Reject

Ace Reject

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 17, 2013 @ 9:11 PM

This mass penalty-taking presents a bad precedent for this season and the Race in general.

Doubt it as I believe during their first go on the Amazing Race, Rob (from Survivor fame) talked 3 others teams in quitting an eating task. This is the first time in how many years that 3 teams have done the same.

WillyBCoyote

WillyBCoyote

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 17, 2013 @ 9:12 PM

I wonder if the firefighters could have gone back and tried searching for the clue again after getting last in the canoe race? Might not have been honorable, but might have kept them in. Or is it that once you say you'll skip, that's it, no takebacks?

No they couldn't beacause they had to quit to get the clue to go to the canoes. They wouldn't have gotten the clue any other way.

The doctor brothers are very whinny.

Pepper the Cat

Pepper the Cat

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 17, 2013 @ 9:15 PM

Disappointed to see the firefighters go.
I don't think Team Alabama will last long.

I agree with the poster that said if that father keeps talking about his son's fight with cancer, I will lose my love for them.

alapaki

alapaki

Fanatic

Posted Feb 17, 2013 @ 9:15 PM

Just awful.

Fostering alliances? At least theoretically the incentive was for the teams to be nice to each other rather than plot against each other. But, what's the point?

And agreeing to take penalties? Sack the fuck up! They could've gone through each and every sandcastle in 4 hours. The problem is that they thought the clue would be within the castle rather than buried beneath them. Don't quit. Try to figure out what you're doing wrong.

And the newlyweds and the You Tube people need to leave as soon as possible.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Feb 17, 2013 @ 9:16 PM

First up, round of applause for the PGA delay. And next week, TAR goes up against the Oscars. Yippee!! And thank you, HIMYM banner for obscuring Joey & Meghan's names during the credits.

Well, that was brutal. Sandcastle roadblock was almost as bad as the TAR6 hay bales . . . sure, sand is easier to deal with than hay, but you have to rebuild the castles, and you get to roast in the sun. Had to feel for poor Indries . . . nothing sucks like having a Day From Hell on Day One.

I'm thinking Max & Katie are going to be the de facto assholes this season. It's just the vibe I've gotten, and the cigar smoking doesn't help. However, the group penalty idea was smart. Think about it: 2-in-3 shot to stay in the game, and you get an extra four hours of rest. Which reminds me: what happened to sitting in the (figurative) corner and waiting out the penalty?

I think Phil is going to be too fascinated by Chuck's mullet. The guy is a collection of Southern cliches. . . he kills animals, stuffs 'em, wears a mullet, and he works at Wal-Mart. If he and Wynona make it far, some of the casting people are getting bonuses.

Great of Beth to bail Mona out of her mistake. Also thinking Team YouTube might also grate, based on Joey's little celebration. And I'm thinking there's going to be an anti-Tom Westman vibe at work. This week, the firefighters got booted. Next week: the silver-haired father. I'm okay with the voice warblering and tears, though.

tvgoddess

tvgoddess

Fanatic

Posted Feb 17, 2013 @ 9:19 PM

Katie actually seems proud of the fact that she doesn't have any friends back home. She was horrible.

As a recent cancer survivor myself, I'm inclined to root for the father/son. Still not ready to mark them as my favorite though. I liked the doctors, even though they struggled. The girls seem shrieky, as does Team YouTube.

I think the thing that fascinated me the most though was a Bama fan married to an Auburn fan. I know it must happen, but it still seems so weird to me.

Modernwhimsy

Modernwhimsy

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 17, 2013 @ 9:19 PM

Seemed like a cast built for drama. A lot of the teams introduced to us seem to have strong and flawed sensibilities which will play nicely on the screen later! I got an unlikeable vibe from a lot of the teams which should make for some good future eye rolls and snarks.

No team really stood out to me as being an early favorite. Mullet seems likeable and goofy. The firemen were supposed to be the good ol boys but now the nice guys finish last. Outside of the beautiful location, the first episode was just nice and tidy.

WanderingSnark

WanderingSnark

Fanatic

Posted Feb 17, 2013 @ 9:22 PM

This mass penalty-taking presents a bad precedent for this season and the Race in general.

Doubt it as I believe during their first go on the Amazing Race, Rob (from Survivor fame) talked 3 others teams in quitting an eating task. This is the first time in how many years that 3 teams have done the same.

Well the Race has a long and important history of people never quitting, coming into pit stops 18hrs later etc. so I hated to see all those teams just give up. It's not very "Race-like" imho.

How about agreeing to put down our buckets and shovels and rehydrate and get out of the sun for say 15 minutes as a group then head out after the prize? I just hate a 'quit to win' strategy rearing it's head.

Edited by WanderingSnark, Feb 17, 2013 @ 9:23 PM.

mauras

mauras

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 17, 2013 @ 9:22 PM

Max and Katie seriously seem like sociopaths. Or maybe Cylons.

Boring leg, but that scenery, wow! There are several teams that I think I might like, but too early to tell.

jeromycraig

jeromycraig

Fanatic

Posted Feb 17, 2013 @ 9:25 PM

Ugh. I don't think I've ever disliked so many teams at the beginning of a Race before. Max and Katie (mostly Max) are insufferable, and my blood pressure shot up watching the YouTube Attention Whores mug and grimace during their introduction and never quite came back down. The Twin OBGs are whiny and hateful, and the dating couple strikes me as smug and unlikable. Team Cancer seems really nice, but have already worn my patience with the sobbing pretty thin.

The hockey players, three sets of Novelty Southerners, Roller Derby Moms, and No-Nonsense Asian Girls all seem pretty non-objectionable so far, with the latter team being my favorite.

Modernwhimsy

Modernwhimsy

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 17, 2013 @ 9:27 PM

Katie actually seems proud of the fact that she doesn't have any friends back home. She was horrible.

They were so horrible and sound bitey that they seemed like they were a plant. Over the top douchebag and a cliche wife? Am I on Joe Schmo???? She opens herself up to the horrible comments to come. He was proud that she was unlikeable too...I mean that is just ODD. And her curled hair was just so 90s bride. Lululemon athletic wear can't change that butterface.

enlightenedbum

enlightenedbum

Fanatic

Posted Feb 17, 2013 @ 9:27 PM

That was the worst premiere in the show's history, right? I'm trying to think of a worse one.

I mean, yes, there has traditionally been a "DO CRAZY THING" task in the opening leg so you can prove to yourself that you'll do whatever. It's not particularly interesting to watch, but I understand the thinking. Repeating the Lena & Kristy memorial let's try to kill a racer with a bullshit luck task is not a good idea though. I hate those tasks, always have, and it was dumb here.

Additionally, we only got character moments inspired to make you hate people except maybe with Idries' increasingly exasperation with everything sand related. Focused mostly on team We Suck, Aren't We Adorable? because obviously that's what viewers want. Joey is irritating immediately. Meghan might be tolerable (I've seen her elsewhere and didn't hate her) but we got very little of her.

And then we're adding more things that inspire alliances. Which is what Wednesday night is for and not what I watch this for. And it seems likely to backfire and make me annoyed at teams. Including this year's obnoxiously dominant young couple whose male half stereotypically doesn't want to buy a ring and the female half really wants her stupid white dress. You cast this team every year, show, and they're almost always boring. You're pretty much 1/30 (estimate at one per season, some years there are more; Kris and Jon are the 1 and I'm stretching the definition to include them as it was more a she was finishing her degree thing) on this archetype. Stop it.

Mildly like:
Bates and Anthony (go hockey players)
Winnie and Pam
Idries and Jamil

Die in a fire:
Joey
Max and Kate
Leg designers

No opinion:
Everyone else

selkie

selkie

Fanatic

Posted Feb 17, 2013 @ 9:28 PM

Pity that cancer boy was wearing a Livestrong bike helmet during their intro. Given what came out in the press between original filming and air date, it seems really awkward now.

I was amused by Chuck's 'working at Walmart has taught me to work with diverse populations' comment, and mentally filled in a 'bless my customer's hearts' after that. Interesting to see that they managed to find some of the last rednecks left in Daphne, Alabama. These days, it's increasingly a bedroom community for Mobile because the schools are seen as better than what you get on the other side of the bay.

Modernwhimsy

Modernwhimsy

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 17, 2013 @ 9:31 PM

Die in a fire:

Crying with laughter.

Which one is Joey?

And it took me a full minute to realize that no one was a leg designer (prosthetics? tatoos?) I rock the brains tonight.

Amath

Amath

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 17, 2013 @ 9:32 PM

I loved the doctors until one of the women teams got to the sandcastles and the doctor muttered, "Go to hell, bitches" or something like that. Did the women do something to provoke that response? Because it seemed oddly hostile and misogynistic, especially coming from a "delivery man" aka OBGYN.

cooksdelight

cooksdelight

Stalker

Posted Feb 17, 2013 @ 9:34 PM

I want to drown the newlyweds.

Is that wrong?

jeromycraig

jeromycraig

Fanatic

Posted Feb 17, 2013 @ 9:35 PM

Which one is Joey?

The grimacing, mugging, LOOKITME!!!! male half of the YouTube Hosts.

The YouTubers are insufferable for the exact same reasons as Tyler and BJ were on their season: constantly "on," always mugging for the cameras, constantly needing attention and validation, being much less funny and entertaining than they think they are, etc.

Edited by jeromycraig, Feb 17, 2013 @ 9:37 PM.

enlightenedbum

enlightenedbum

Fanatic

Posted Feb 17, 2013 @ 9:35 PM

Which one is Joey?

Joey is the male half of Youtube.

Modernwhimsy

Modernwhimsy

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 17, 2013 @ 9:40 PM

Joey is the male half of Youtube.

The grimacing, mugging, LOOKITME!!!! male half of the YouTube Hosts.

Ah the youtubers. But they are adorable and popular and amazing. They said so therefore it must be.