9-15: "Hard Bargain" 2013.02.14

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

111 replies to this topic

Artsda

Artsda

Fanatic

Posted Feb 17, 2013 @ 1:41 PM

Callie has always valued her job at SGH and obviously the company that she keeps there.. she's a mother now, and she's gone through a HUGE amount of trauma.

How is this all about Callie when she wasn't on the plane? What's her HUGE trauma compared to Meredith who watched her sister die and decompose and animals try to maul her body? Or Cristina or Arizona or Derek who has known Mark since he was a child for over 30+ years and lost him and his sister-in-law.

How is the accident all about Callie and what she suffered? Callie was not on the plane. She didn't crash, she didn't live in those woods during that time, she didn't watch Lexie die. Arizona lost her leg and Callie's still disregarding Arizona and making it all about me me me and what I want.

Callie seems to be the one with the survivors guilt.Trying to force herself into a group to feel included when she's not one of them.

Edited by Artsda, Feb 17, 2013 @ 1:42 PM.

Clairelle876

Clairelle876

Loyal Viewer

• Interests:GA, Calzona, SVU.

Posted Feb 17, 2013 @ 3:02 PM

It's not about Callie though. Nor is she making it about her. She offered a suggestion to save the hospital. She came up with an idea! What is so wrong with that? Everybody was about ready to settle or surrender to Pegasus and slice chicken breasts for the rest of their careers. She loves her job, loves SGMW and is offering her own two cents about what could be done to save the hospital. Derek tried, April tried, now Callie is trying. She doesn't need to have a leg cut off or a hand crushed to do that IMO. She was a victim of the crash indirectly but it affected her in a great way too. She didn't put herself in the mix she became involved in the suit for obvious reasons. She has a say, as big or small as it is.

All of these arguments against Callie being offered up are so weak that i can't help but wonder if its just coming from pure hatred of the character herself. Arizona loves Callie with all her heart, her being rash doesn't make her a bad wife, it makes her human. Arizona has her flaws too. They all do! So to judge Callie so harshly and want to crucify not just her but any of the characters everytime they do something we disagree on, that is rash.

I have no problems with Callie in this storyline. I feel she has every right to be in the position she is in. I'm glad she made the suggestion versus giving up and going with the purchase. The beginning scene was an open discussion. Everybody was throwing their thoughts out there and processing out loud, voicing their concerns as they went along. I'll question Callie's judgement as Arizona did but i am not going to judge Callie based on that. She was just thinking out loud. It doesn't make her a bad wife or mother or person.

Edited by Clairelle876, Feb 17, 2013 @ 3:04 PM.

nodepth

nodepth

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 17, 2013 @ 3:26 PM

What's her HUGE trauma compared to Meredith who watched her sister die and decompose and animals try to maul her body?

Just to be clear here, if we're comparing trauma here, this trauma is not something that Meredith can claim. Sorry, but it was Mark who literally watched Lexi take her last breath, and Cristina who listened as wild animals fought over her remains, while everyone was able to fall asleep, she wasn't. So her insomnia was rewarded by the worst trauma of the survivors at that crash site IMO. Yeah, if we want to talk about who gets the psycholgical trauma award here, it's Cristina. O.K., I'll put her second to Arizona after they were rescued because hey, Arizona lost a body part.

Callie is speaking for Mark and even if she just speaking for herself, she's allowed IMO. She loves her job, wife, daughter and really cherishes the people she works with and wants to keep the "family" together.

Everything, does not have to have Meredith being front and center and the voice of reason or whatever the heck her voice is for.

Edited by nodepth, Feb 17, 2013 @ 3:27 PM.

Silent Eve

Silent Eve

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 17, 2013 @ 3:36 PM

I know they explained why they couldn't buy the hospital as employees but why couldn't they donate their winning through SGMW's foundation (surely their hospital has a fundraising entity)? Individually they could have given to the discretionary funds for the hospital or even directed gifts - there would have been no need for secrecy, deception or protracted plot lines of maddening stupidity. Deans, Department Chairs, and heck, maybe even the Chief of Surgery etc. are often part of the discussion of how to direct and organize major gifts. The whole lawsuit plot line is just painful.

I honestly just try to stay emotionally unattached to this stupid show and then I come on here and all of you are making such excellent points about how DUMB this storyline is and it makes me mad.

cycworker

cycworker

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 17, 2013 @ 3:40 PM

There is something unseemly to me about comparing traumas. As hard as it may be to understand, being the person left behind - the person who spent 4 days afraid she'd go from having a wife and a best friend to having neither - is traumatizing. Callie spent 4 days afraid she was about to become a single parent. For that matter, Owen spent 4 days afraid he'd never see Cristina again.

Different isn't easier or harder - different is just different. And there are multiple factors to take into account, most notably a person's psychological make up in general. For example, one might think Owen, having faced war, would have the easiest time with the trauma of this accident. Instead, the cumulative impact of all the other traumas he's experienced as added up to make this situation really awful for him.

Thanks to the person who explained the tax issue. I still think Shonda could and would find a way to deal with it if need be... I too heard Stan say they needed to for the LLC an ALIGN with a for-profit or a not-for-profit, as opposed to becoming one.

I am putting it out there now: I predict Jackson and Webber will somehow get Catherine Avery to provide the required funds.

And I gotta say it's nice to not be the only one defending Callie.

Long Days Night

Long Days Night

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 17, 2013 @ 4:18 PM

I also thought it was dumb that they all had to quit, since Derek who is supposed to be the greatest Neurosurgeon in the US, quitting would be enough to kill the deal by himself.

I looked at it from the opposite direction. If Pegasus wants to turn the hospital into a factory for low-risk, quick-but-profitable surgeries, such as hernia repairs, why would they want a neurosurgeon whose medical mission is to take on the rarest conditions that have the least likelihood of successful outcomes? Derek had to have been a litigation magnet before his hand was compromised - I would think they would be thrilled that he was quitting, except for having to scrap their ad campaign and start over in looking for a face. In fact, I surmised that they made him their face just to keep him out of surgery and avoid the attendant lawsuits. If what Callie saw at the other Pegasus hospital was their long range plan for SGMW, they would be happy to have lots of Kepners and no superstars who want to do the exciting but risky stuff. More bump removals; less miracles. In other words, they ought to have been thrilled to see that particular crew leave, so they could be replaced by cheaper surgeons who'd be happy in the factory environment, doing the most boring surgeries possible, as fast as possible.

annlaw78

annlaw78

Fanatic

Posted Feb 17, 2013 @ 10:41 PM

The whole lawsuit plot line is just painful.

There are so many holes in this plot. The first being, in most states, a person who hires an independent contractor is not responsible for the negligence of its contractors, the idea being that, say, a surgeon who contracts with an air charter (not sure why SGMW doesn't have a procurement department) can rely upon its performing its task reasonably. The other glaring issue is that a insurance company cannot negotiate a settlement on behalf of its insured and then, without notice, refuse to pay the settlement. That is hokey and contrived. And I'm not really seeing the massive payoff that justifies this inanity.

Individually they could have given to the discretionary funds for the hospital or even directed gifts - there would have been no need for secrecy, deception or protracted plot lines of maddening stupidity

But then they couldn't call the shots and get fat paychecks for being on the board or whatever. Or, you know, they could have reduced their demands in settlement.

Edited by annlaw78, Feb 17, 2013 @ 11:08 PM.

Sunshine55

Sunshine55

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 17, 2013 @ 10:43 PM

Did I miss something in that first conversation at MerDer's house? When they were talking about pooling their money to buy the hospital, I thought Callie said something about her share of the damages or something about her having money to put in that wasn't Sofia's. I think she said something about $700,000.
Did I completely misinterpret Callie's statement?
Otherwise, I thought the episode was decent. I found April and the paramedic annoying. I agree that eventually he will find out that she is a self-proclaimed secondary virgin, not an actual virgin, and that will break them up.
Cahill is uber-irritating. I don't care much about why she doesn't do surgery anymore, although I suspect we'll find out the super-dramatic reason at some point.
I like Ross a lot, and Jo is bugging me less, but I just wish they weren't setting up Jo and Alex as the great love affair of all time (or at least this season).

ZenLizzy

ZenLizzy

Fanatic

Posted Feb 17, 2013 @ 10:59 PM

Did I miss something in that first conversation at MerDer's house? When they were talking about pooling their money to buy the hospital, I thought Callie said something about her share of the damages or something about her having money to put in that wasn't Sofia's. I think she said something about $700,000. Did I completely misinterpret Callie's statement?

No, that's exactly what Callie said. I assume it's part of her trust fund, mentioned in the past, that she can access quickly.

Edited by ZenLizzy, Feb 17, 2013 @ 11:00 PM.

Erratic

Erratic

Stalker

Posted Feb 17, 2013 @ 11:00 PM

Callie's $700K was referring to money from her trust fund that she has immediate access too. Her family is wealthy.

Erratic

Erratic

Stalker

Posted Feb 17, 2013 @ 11:00 PM

Callie's $700K was referring to money from her trust fund that she has immediate access too. Her family is wealthy.

Sunshine55

Sunshine55

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 17, 2013 @ 11:17 PM

Thanks ZenLizzy and Erratic. I remember about the trust fund, but I thought Callie's dad cut her off after learning that she's a lesbian. I think that's what was confusing me; after he cut her off I figured she'd never have access to that money again.

ZenLizzy

ZenLizzy

Fanatic

Posted Feb 17, 2013 @ 11:20 PM

It's never been stated on the show, that I'm aware of, but it's assumed he gave it back after Arizona Good-Man-In-a-Storm-ed him. Or possibly when they got married. It's anyone's guess really.

Shego

Shego

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 19, 2013 @ 2:41 PM

What happened to Leah? Heather reappeared after not being in an episode or two, but I don't think Leah's been on since the episode where Adele died.

Edited by Shego, Feb 19, 2013 @ 2:41 PM.

ReganII

ReganII

Fanatic

Posted Feb 19, 2013 @ 8:03 PM

Whatever about the money awarded to the survivors, I don't like the attitude towards the money awarded for Lexie and Mark's deaths.

Weren't Meredith and Callie supposed to be representing them in the lawsuit? I think that they have a responsibility to consider what Lexie and Mark would have wanted done with their share of the award, not what they want to do with it. Would Mark want Callie to sink $15 million into a failing hospital or would he want the money to go to his daughter? Unless the hospital is going to be an investment that will yield a healthy dividend for Sofia, I think that it's wrong to take her money, It's hers and her interests should be the only consideration when it comes to how it's invested until she is old enough to decide what she wants to do with it, not Callie's preferences about the hospital she will work in. Would Lexie want her money to be used to help buy the hospital or would she rather that it be used to provide her family with financial security. She was survived by her father, two sisters, two nieces and another niece or nephew on the way. Maybe she'd rather that the money go to them.

The other issue is that, if they want the hospital to still be around in five years time, won't they need to take at least a few leaves out of Pegasus' book? The ER isn't going to stop being a financial black hole just because the hospital is under new management, for example. I'd have thought that the routine but lucrative surgeries like the hernia repairs and liposuction would be essential, if the hospital's finances are to remain healthy enough to allow them to keep the doors open and to allow them to do the pro bono work, research, etc. they want to do.

Jessie monster

Jessie monster

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 20, 2013 @ 3:44 AM

What happened to Leah? Heather reappeared after not being in an episode or two, but I don't think Leah's been on since the episode where Adele died.

Dumb Leah, the one that doesn't understand the basics of religious freedom and patient rights? That was recently.

Frankie5Angels

Frankie5Angels

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 21, 2013 @ 3:52 AM

Weren't Meredith and Callie supposed to be representing them in the lawsuit? I think that they have a responsibility to consider what Lexie and Mark would have wanted done with their share of the award, not what they want to do with it. Would Mark want Callie to sink $15 million into a failing hospital or would he want the money to go to his daughter? Unless the hospital is going to be an investment that will yield a healthy dividend for Sofia, I think that it's wrong to take her money, It's hers and her interests should be the only consideration when it comes to how it's invested until she is old enough to decide what she wants to do with it, not Callie's preferences about the hospital she will work in. Would Lexie want her money to be used to help buy the hospital or would she rather that it be used to provide her family with financial security. She was survived by her father, two sisters, two nieces and another niece or nephew on the way. Maybe she'd rather that the money go to them.

Well, the impression was that Callie was there speaking for Mark, but we got confirmation this episode that Lexie's share went to her dad. I don't think anyone there was actually speaking for Lexie. She's been pretty much forgotten and what with the guy who played their dad Thatcher being on Scandal now, they couldn't very well have him back to speak for her. It was just a huge plot hole in this messy, stupid, inane story line. I guess if Lexie's heirs decided they wanted to toss the money into saving that hospital, it would be somewhat acceptable, but the attitude Callie has about Sofia's share is gross. Sofia is a minor-child, she should have some say in how the money her dad left her is spent, and Callie should consider whether Mark would want them to plunge that money into a money pit. I do not understand how the writers could not see her attitude for the squalid and grotesque selfishness it is. She didn't spare a thought for what Mark would have wanted and she was downright offended by the notion that Sofia have a financial cushion because that amounts to wearing a tinfoil hat in her eyes.

Speaking of Callie's cavalier attitude, were we ever given an explanation for this turnaround in attitude? At the beginning, she was excited for the settlement offer because it meant that Sofia wouldn't have to take out loans for med school. Now, if she had previously been under the impression that her daughter would have to take out loans for med school, does that mean that she and Arizona didn't have much in the way of savings when the crash happened? How did we go from "Sofia can now go to college and medical school without incurring hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt" to "oh, I have a spare $700,000 laying around that I can withdraw from the bank right now and saving money is for paranoid people?" Did we get any exposition on how Callie swung from one unattractive extreme (they made her seem obsessed with the money in the beginning which raised the questions about her previous wealth) to another? I don't get it.

The other issue is that, if they want the hospital to still be around in five years time, won't they need to take at least a few leaves out of Pegasus' book? The ER isn't going to stop being a financial black hole just because the hospital is under new management, for example. I'd have thought that the routine but lucrative surgeries like the hernia repairs and liposuction would be essential, if the hospital's finances are to remain healthy enough to allow them to keep the doors open and to allow them to do the pro bono work, research, etc. they want to do.

Right again! This is by no means the first time we've heard that Seattle Grace needs to watch its spending. Much of season six was a contrived financial crisis (the merger, Webber turning down doctors for expensive tests, and an episode devoted to Derek ignoring Webber's instructions not to do an expensive surgery for free/Webber trying to implement a cost cutting computer schedule) and this is simultaneously a retcon and retread of that. No one has given a compelling reason why the financial model of running the hospital as a facility that provides lavish services like experimental treatments and research would be enticing to investors. Nothing has been presented about how, exactly, they intend to maintain anything more than what they want in a work environment. They haven't said a word about how they foresee maintaining the fiscal health of that hospital. I see the following things as major impediments to anyone wanting to be involved in them.

1. How can Seattle Grace be a major research institution with Derek and Meredith on their board of directors or board of governors? Derek was famously blacklisted by the FDA because presumptive fellow board member Meredith tampered with his drug trial. What drug company would want to be associated with someone whose reputation was sullied in such a manner, the person who actively violated bioethics and the rights of human subjects, and the institution at which this bad behavior took place? Or, are we expected to forget that in the beginning of Season 8 this was so catastrophic that Derek moved out and hated Meredith for what had happened to him and what she did to his future in research?

2. I know Cristina is under the delusion that they should all be "doing this for Owen," but why on earth would an investment group agree to keep Owen on? According to the show, Owen was so negligent in executing his duties that the hospital was adjudicated responsible for the injuries and deaths to those on that plane because he didn't bother to check on the safety record of the airline. To make matters worse, Owen was also totally ignorant of the contract between the insurance company and the hospital, so he didn't know to implement a policy limiting the number of attendings on that flight. So, not only did he land them in legal trouble, he also destroyed the hospital's safety net (the insurance policy) which put it on the hook for tens of millions of dollars. I'm struggling to see how anyone would invest in a hospital with this guy still occupying the position from which he destroyed the hospital financially. He shouldn't even be working there. Hell, would anyone even be willing to insure the hospital while he is still there?

Meredith, Owen, and Derek are three very problematic figures in this move and I'm just wondering how they intend to resolve these things, in addition to their solution of making the ER financially solvent (this never happens) and the overall cashflow of the hospital seeing as they are turning their noses up at high volume/money making procedures. I have a feeling none of this will be covered.

zenyatta

zenyatta

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 21, 2013 @ 6:46 AM

How can Seattle Grace be a major research institution with Derek and Meredith on their board of directors or board of governors? Derek was famously blacklisted by the FDA because presumptive fellow board member Meredith tampered with his drug trial. What drug company would want to be associated with someone whose reputation was sullied in such a manner, the person who actively violated bioethics and the rights of human subjects, and the institution at which this bad behavior took place?

I don't think it will matter if Meredith is on the board. She said nothing and allowed Richard to take the fall. As par for the course she skated by without consequence. I doubt anyone outside the hospital would even know Mary Sue Grey did anything wrong.

Nanda

Nanda

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 21, 2013 @ 11:35 AM

I don't consider Arizona's attitude less grosser than Callie's. In the end she accepted to plunge in that adventure either. She should have maintained her rational attitude. Thereby, risking the money of a child is an unspeakable attitude and shows how well this rushed and idealistic group of poor idiots are.

The reason I feel this all lawsuit SL difficult to digest it's because we're seeing a bunch of people supposedly intelligent running their lives with little wisdom. One thing, is to buy a small incorporation with a small cash flow deviation, therefore fixable, other completely different is to buy a tare weight truck ungoverned by a steep slope down. There's a motive by which the Owners want to sell it. This affair yells imprudence.
What I find strange is that, and if is there someone who has a credible explanation for this I'd like to hear it, they want to block the trimming, the rationalization ... because they don't want to work in an environment as Pegasus...and...are willing to continue on a path that led to decapitalization of the hospital thus the financial ruin. I think this is laughable. Doesn't cross Callie's mind that once their company entering into a recovery plan the restrictions will make SGMWH seem alike Pegasus? Or they intend to keep working unconcernedly as ever, leaving the hospital liabilities increase as a snowball, so they can live happily and forever relaxed and prevent Owen of being kicked out and doing 'the good' to others? Doing ' the good' to the others is pricey!
I think they're all still in epiphany and when they wake up this giant will hunt them with sharp teeth and open mouth. Maybe the SL to the rest of the season will be how much they regret to have bought that damn thing.
I agree with whom have said that Owen exiting is being prepared full steam. If KMK doesn't stay, the field is prepared for Owen to leave. Divorced, fired or invited to leave and adopting a kid. Defeated both personally and professionally. Honestly, as I don't believe he will, we'll see the minority shareholders decide in his favor over the majority shareholders(roll).

Edited by Nanda, Feb 21, 2013 @ 11:43 AM.

AnitaMC86

AnitaMC86

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 21, 2013 @ 12:22 PM

Derek was famously blacklisted by the FDA because presumptive fellow board member Meredith tampered with his drug trial.

Easy: they'll look at the fact that Harvard seemed to not mind much and offered him a huge endowment to run their Neuro department as well as the Alz research. An institution of such prestige could (most of the times) overrun the concern, sort to speak. Especially if Derek was only blacklisted for a certain amount of time (he might have already applied to get off the blacklist have the hospital or him complied with the FDA sanctions). I know Derek said he'll never make a trial ever again but Derek also tends to be defeatist when down (I'll never operate again, I can't get her back...take your pick). So I don't think this will be a black spot. Have Harvard pulled their offer (and not turned down by Derek), then nothing they did could salvage it.

but why on earth would an investment group agree to keep Owen on?

TBH, I have no idea why he still has a job. I think the hospital could have managed liability by dismissing Owen quickly but the board seemed to have other things in mind and frankly, he hasn't really been a leader.

Doesn't cross Callie's mind that once their company entering into a recovery plan the restrictions will make SGMWH seem alike Pegasus?

I'm going out on a limb here on their dumbass logic but I think Callie believes that it wouldn't be as tough, as some of the money (the $75M of the survivors) is given by them and they have a say on how the hospital will be run (it seems to be part of their sales pitch, how they all love the atmosphere at the hospital) and the fixing up would be made by their terms. Have Pegasus bought the hospital, they wouldn't have any say, they'd be at the mercy of whatever the flying horse wanted to do. I think what they are looking here is just for the cash without the interference of a business like Pegasus. They want the investment only.

It's stupid and illogical and dumb as there is no way that even in fantasyland this would work this way but it's the best I could do with what I think they want.

nivea

nivea

Fanatic

Posted Feb 22, 2013 @ 2:39 AM

I'm just going to pretend that Callie is insane, Derek is delusional and Meredith/Arizona just want a nice, quiet life free of nagging. Otherwise nobodies behavior makes any sense.

Pleasesendpants

Pleasesendpants

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 22, 2013 @ 10:42 AM

I think "Mama bought you a hospital" is the funniest and most chilling line this show has ever produced.