12-10: "Hollywood Week, Part 4" 2013.02.14

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

69 replies to this topic

aps817

aps817

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 14, 2013 @ 10:00 PM

Finally some decent singing.

LennieB

LennieB

Fanatic

Posted Feb 14, 2013 @ 10:07 PM

Sad to say good-bye to little David Leathers AGAIN! Well, with him gone, and also Matheus, the way is clear for Lazaro!

I'm a sick person: I thought Zoanette was awesome!

Edited by LennieB, Feb 14, 2013 @ 10:08 PM.

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted Feb 14, 2013 @ 10:18 PM

Angela's performance was indeed the standout of the episode for me. She's got it all; personality, songwriting, powerful voice, emoting, great look. She's a viable pop artist just waiting in the wings.

My other stand outs were Candice Glover, Melinda Ademi, and Janelle Arthur.

The dark horse too was Kree Harrison. Her story is so sad and her emotions really shined through her performance of "Stars".

The girls really are incredible this year. I think it's time for one to win again.

kelbel

kelbel

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 14, 2013 @ 10:20 PM

Gee, I wonder who tptb want us to vote for amongst the girls? I mean, they couldn't have made it anymore obvious that they consider Angela Miller, Janelle Arthur, and Candice Glover the top 3 for the girls. Not that I'm complaining. Of all the girls I saw so far, those are the ones that I like the most. I can see those 3 making it far.

But I really wish Candice didn't sing Girl on Fire. I am sick to death of that song!

They finally showed Josh Holiday. And he ripped his pants! I want to see more of him. Er...I mean more of his singing, of course.

Thank god, they cut Adam Sanders. He was way too screechy and shouty to my ears. They can finally rest now that he's gone.

Zoanette...I just about had it with her. I was okay with her at first just because of the laughs and entertainment value. But what was that? Honestly, if anybody else had done what she did on stage, the judges would've been offended and chastised them for not taking the competition seriously. I get that she's there as a joke, but come on. I think enough is enough.

Edited by kelbel, Feb 14, 2013 @ 11:06 PM.

sandrajane

sandrajane

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 14, 2013 @ 10:47 PM

I'm a sick person: I thought Zoanette was awesome!

Count me in, too.

Kez Ban's elimination was weird. Did they do that for any other contestant? Just boot her right after she sang with little deliberation?

I've fallen out of love with Candace. Her last two solo performances (Impossible and Girl On Fire) were barely passable.

I liked Melinda and Kree.

Shuba is not a good ballad singer and her tone is not right for a Mariah/Whitney song.

I thought Rachel Hale was blegh on her sing-for-your-life song. Stephanie was more interesting. We already got a ton of country singers.

Wow at how bad Adam was singing. Even asking the band to do it a step lower, he still sung it too high. When Adam was called forward, by his reaction, David Leathers knew it was over.

The camera was loving Keith tonight. He comes alive for the ladies. Randy's laugh is still incredibly annoying. Nicki was Nicki (who I like as a judge) and Mariah was Mariah, who is still boring. She's too concerned about the camera, not showing much facial expression and sitting at an angle.

rustyspigot

rustyspigot

Fanatic

• Interests:TV and Sarcasm. And I love the bitches.

Posted Feb 14, 2013 @ 11:00 PM

Off to the clouds with you Kez (in your azure sky). Her favorite song was like half a verse.

Angela was good. She's got a Miley vibe with that set of chompers and speaking voice, though.

Zoanette is Norman Gentle. And who has a halter top with kitchen curtains hanging on them?

Not feeling the girl who trotted out her dead parents and then sang that Stars song.

Mycenaeus

Mycenaeus

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 14, 2013 @ 11:23 PM

The intro to tonight's episode was pretty heavy handed. They want a girl to win. We get it.

It seems like they did not allow the boys to perform original material. In his exit interview, that was Papa Peaches' main complaint. On girl's night they decided that they would allow the girls to perform their own compositions, and we ended up with three interesting moments because of it.

1. Angela Miller completely owned the moment with her original song and instantly put herself up as a front runner.

2. Zoanette on the drums was amusing, and for some strange reason, I feel like if they could just get her to focus, she might be pretty good. I don't know. It's like all the ingredients are there, but never at the same time. She's got charisma for days, is very watchable, has a Fantasia-like voice, knows how to arrange music, knows how to play an instrument. I hope she pulls it together enough to pull off something nice, otherwise I'm pegging her as this year's Sanjaya.

3. Kez Ban, when she can sing her own compositions, is awesome. I think she actually could have made the top 20 had she made that song a little longer. She practically said the song was her most precious baby, then sang one verse, then stepped back and bowed. It seemed like she was punking someone. Underwhelming. She should have definitely gone on for longer.

Other than that, I like Rachel Hale, but the other petite blond girl she was up against for the last spot had a very interesting voice that would have contrasted well with all the big belters they seem to have among the girls this season. Candice and Janelle are also very good. "Price Tag" girl is also on my radar now.

What else? Oh, Mariah was very pretty tonight in that red dress. Mariah is one of those weird celebs that look plain one day, and then the next day you are like, hmmm, she's a very pretty woman. Nicki was her usual self. Keith was adorable, bopping along to the upbeat songs and crying to the slow ballads. He's starting to edge Nicki out as my favorite judge. Such a dork. I hope they ease up on the girl winner agenda.

Sparkling Beth

Sparkling Beth

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 14, 2013 @ 11:28 PM

Rarely do I long to have Simon back, but tonight I would have loved to see him stare with disbelief at Zoanette and then pronounce her performance "a complete and utter mess." I cannot believe she's in the top 40.

TravelSlug

TravelSlug

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 14, 2013 @ 11:32 PM

"The 't' is silent" was my favorite moment of the night. Ha!

marsha

marsha

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 14, 2013 @ 11:38 PM

Not feeling the girl who trotted out her dead parents.

O.k., that made me laugh and yes, I'm going to hell.

Oh, I'm gonna miss you Kez Bon but I've a feeling you might be showing up again sometime later in the season as some sort of comic relief. I loved her so much in her audition but she just didn't bring it vocally to Hollywood.

Zoanette was ... I don't even have the words (but then again, neither did she). Also, everytime she says she's 20 years old I'm like "what?". She seems way older than that.

Oh, the looks between Nikki and Mariah! I can only imagine what may end up going down between them when the show is live!

Kali12

Kali12

Fanatic

Posted Feb 14, 2013 @ 11:59 PM

To Nicki: I think "notes that only you can hit" should never be hit.
Hope you will consider that not every eccentric shrieker is a great new musical innovator.

Why is she in charge? Why does she do all the talking? I'm so so so sick of her. Can't we hear from Keith? To me, he clearly has much more musical knowledge. (And Mariah is just useless--a permanently painted smile and ALWAYS playing with her hair. Maybe she could contribute something if Nicki's role was diminished. Or maybe this is the best she can do.

slowpoked

slowpoked

Fanatic

Posted Feb 15, 2013 @ 12:02 AM

When the camera scanned over the Top 20 guys, I don't recall anyone being a WGWG. Anyone remember one? I just remember a lot of black guys.

Ivana Tinkle

Ivana Tinkle

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 15, 2013 @ 12:11 AM

It kind of broke my heart to see David Leathers Jr. get cut again. I have a soft spot in my heart for that little kid.

Kree looks like a combo of Kate Middleton and Carly Smithson (was that her name?).

Why is Zoanette still there? Laura Mills (?) is way better than her. I agree with the poster upthread who wished Simon would have been there to throw his pencil in disgust and declare her performance to be what it was: a complete trainwreck.

Angela Miller is a dead ringer for Miley Cyrus. With bigger teeth, if possible. At least she doesn't talk like a man.

Speaking of men, I was okay with Kez Ban leaving. I thought her audition was amazing, and she never seemed to top it. Not sure how she made it so far. She also seemed to be trying to channel Heejun a bit by trying to mimick his dry sense of humor.

Mariah is completely useless as a judge. Is she attached to a morphine drip under the judges table? All she does is sit there and smile serenely while seemingly picturing herself changing into another "ensemble" so she can use her Stairmaster in five inch heels.

corvus13

corvus13

Stalker

Posted Feb 15, 2013 @ 12:18 AM

Sorry to see Kez Ban go, but I think she didn't really want to be there.

I love "Price Tag", so was glad to see that girl sing it. She was having fun.

I detest Zoanette and whatever it is she's doing up there.

The caption said Rachel Hale is from Prescott, AR. Where the heck is AR? The abbreviation for Arizona is AZ.

BogoGog24

BogoGog24

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 15, 2013 @ 12:22 AM

Slowpoked- Charlie Askew plays the guitar (as well as many other instruments) but we haven't seen him do it yet. (I hope he does though, or brings out one of his other instruments) I'm sure there have to be at least a few guys there who play the guitar but haven't yet.

Sad to see David Leathers go AGAIN. Glad they booted Adam though, he was too screechy. And I felt bad when they let Peter go, he and Charlie seemed to be buds.

I still don't really like any of the girls, nor connect with any of them, however the ones who stuck out to me were:

Angela- great original song, she can play the piano, very good voice, she was impressive in this performance and I'm interested to see what else she'll do, but as of now, I only liked this one performance of her, I don't know if I'd really root for her

Candice- her auditions seem to be getting weaker and weaker though

Janelle Arthur- great country voice, reminds me a lot of Jewel

I liked Kez Ban in her original audition but haven't liked her since. She was over the top annoying and bizarre in Hollywood Week and her voice just seemed shot before she even started. I think her original song must have been a lot longer than what they showed, it didn't feel like 1 coherent piece. They edited a lot of the performances because it was only a 1 hour show and they still had to cut some people at the end.

I don't like that Shuba Vedula girl or whatever her name is- she comes off like a Christina Aguilera wannabe and nothing original

Didn't like the girl who sang Price Tag either- her voice was okay, but I don't like her "dancing."

I still can't figure out Zoanette- she has this Fantasia-esque voice, but doesn't seem to have a lot of control. She is no doubt interesting and different, but I find her to be annoying and over the top at times. If she toned it down, maybe more people would take her seriously.

Those are about the only people I even remember. No girls really stand out for me, any who did are gone.

As much as Idol is clearly pushing for a girl winner this year, sadly I think a guy will win yet again (and there are quite a few who I think deserve to). They screwed up their chance for a female winner last year with Jessica Sanchez, if any girl should have won it was her. None of these girls can even touch Jessica's voice, they are all quite pathetic, they can't even memorize a few verses of a song without writing the lyrics on their hands. I like the guys much better than the girls, unfortunately, even if there are a few girls with good voices, I don't connect with any of them and am not rooting for any of them to actually win this thing. I find the guys much more likable for some reason- and I just noticed now from someone else's post that it is really strange, not to mention unfair, that the girls could sing originals but the guys couldn't? What kind of bullshit is that? They are pushing WAY too hard for a girl and I think it will backfire the more they push. It's Charlie Askew all the way for me.

The caption said Rachel Hale is from Prescott, AR. Where the heck is AR? The abbreviation for Arizona is AZ.

It's probably Arkansas.

Nic n Bubs Dede

Nic n Bubs Dede

Just Tuned In

Posted Feb 15, 2013 @ 12:55 AM

I'm actually looking forward to this season of AI. I still think it is the best of the singing/talent shows. The new judges aren't as bad as I feared. However, I'm so tired of the fake accents used by Nikki Minaj. What the H is that? I'm OLD and I don't know jack about the woman, but she is already getting on my nerves and the season has barely begun. I absolutely love Keith Urban. He is honest, fair and has a decent vocabulary. It's nice to listen to someone who uses a varied selection of adjectives.

angelita100

angelita100

Fanatic

Posted Feb 15, 2013 @ 1:03 AM

I don't think they are pushing for a girl just because they are mentioning that a girl hasn't won in awhile. Why not state the obvious.

In fact they made it hard for a girl to win because they put all their eggs in about 3 baskets. So many of those girls will go into the top 10 with no airtime so will be easy pickings early on. And the three they focused on are good but not great. So I don't think a girl will win again. The boys all got so much more exposure.

WanderingSnark

WanderingSnark

Fanatic

Posted Feb 15, 2013 @ 2:01 AM

Rarely do I long to have Simon back, but tonight I would have loved to see him stare with disbelief at Zoanette and then pronounce her performance "a complete and utter mess." I cannot believe she's in the top 40.

Shambolic and Self-Indulgent, to channel Simon for a moment.

MandoMaid

MandoMaid

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 15, 2013 @ 7:16 AM

rustyspigot:

Zoanette is Norman Gentle.

Yes, only Norman knew he was playing a role. Zoanette thinks she's being fun. She should never be allowed near a drum set again. The poor band hardly knew what hit them.

Loved Angela. Great that she did an original song and while it was very good melodically, the words were weak. The band did a great arrangement. In fact, the band was kicking ass in all kinds of ways all night.

Candice sounded and looked great. I loved her outfit. She already dresses like a star and in something that's flattering. I'm looking at you, Zoanette.

Glad Janelle got through.

Poor David Leathers. If they'd shown more of him, then maybe we would known why he was cut.

When Ryan made the announcement about that being the top 20 guys, they started high fiving each other and hugging. Poor little Charlie was alone ... I hope that was just editing and not because the other guys snub him.

Nicki is working my last fucking nerve.

Edited by MandoMaid, Feb 15, 2013 @ 7:19 AM.

Nidratime

Nidratime

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 15, 2013 @ 7:30 AM

Kez Ban said, during her initial audition, that it was her goal to get to Hollywood, but that she didn't want to go any further. She said, going beyond that was for the "pretty princess girls," which wasn't her. So, she got her wish. In any event, her voice seemed kind of shot, trying to compete with these big belters. She forgot, a bit, about what was her strength, which is not belting.

suzysite

suzysite

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 15, 2013 @ 8:06 AM

I'm looking at you, Zoanette

I'd rather NOT look at Zoanette, she has a face for radio. I just can't watch that on my TV every week. How she even made it to Hollywood week is beyond me,

rollerblade

rollerblade

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 15, 2013 @ 9:45 AM

Loved Angela. Great that she did an original song and while it was very good melodically, the words were weak. The band did a great arrangement. In fact, the band was kicking ass in all kinds of ways all night.

How does the Band know her "original" song? I get that the drummer only have to maintain the rhythm; but the guitar and bass, and guy on keys - how do they know the chords?

MandoMaid

MandoMaid

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 15, 2013 @ 10:05 AM

She probably gave them a chart. Professionals like them sight read well. Also, I think everyone had a chance to run through the song with the band.

sorry2004

sorry2004

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 15, 2013 @ 10:24 AM

Zoanette...I just about had it with her. I was okay with her at first just because of the laughs and entertainment value. But what was that? Honestly, if anybody else had done what she did on stage, the judges would've been offended and chastised them for not taking the competition seriously. I get that she's there as a joke, but come on. I think enough is enough.

Last year one of the reasons I refused to watch the live show was because there was not one black female in the bunch (yes I'm being honest)...I just couldn't believe out of all the female contestants they couldn't find one good enough to be on the live show....but Zoanette, I just can't with her....in her original audition I thought she might be pretty good if she would calm down and e serious, but from what I've seen, I don't think this is gonna happen....I still think she may very well be talented, but I really want her off my television.

ari333

ari333

Fanatic

Posted Feb 15, 2013 @ 10:41 AM

I don't like the "drama" of having the last two girls sing and then one gets booted. That's seems cruel. If it were four or six and one gets to stay, that's different. Plus I thought the blonde had it. Rather, I mean, between those two, I would have gone with the blonde; Can't think of her name as I type, but I preferred her voice over the other one.

IDK what happened to Kez Ban. She sounded good in the audition and then went downhill fast from there.

So I deduce that Zoanette got to fill the cray cray spot instead of Kez Ban. It seems TPTB have a need to fill that hole (created by TPTB) a la Norman Gentle, as mentioned, or Tatiana Del Toro, etc.

"Price Tag" girl's voice didn't seem that great to me that I can recall; but she stood out, imo, because she did an up tempo number and "danced."

Did not like split pants guy. Did not like screecher guy either.

Maybe it's just me, but Minaj's eye-rolling (anyone's eye-rolling for that matter) particularly since she's on tv just bugs. It seems to me to convey contempt.

OakGoblinfly

OakGoblinfly

Fanatic

• Interests:Book-devouring, SiFi-geeking, Anime-Watching, Hockey-Loving transplanted NY gal now living in Northern VA.

Posted Feb 15, 2013 @ 10:54 AM

Angela's performance was indeed the standout of the episode for me. She's got it all; personality, songwriting, powerful voice, emoting, great look. She's a viable pop artist just waiting in the wings.

I get distracted when Angela sings because she looks so much like Miley Cyrus that I have to keep reminding myself that Angela (who I think is quite talented) is Angela and not the train wreck hack of a singer Cyrus. At least Angela doesnít sound like sheís a pack a day smoker who mated with a donkey when she speaks.

I completely agree with you. I donít know why and how Zoanette made it through to the top 20. I donít think she sings well at all and her drum ďplayingĒ was horrific. I donít find her ďactĒ endearing, entertaining, or enjoyable. My only hope is that she gets cut in Vegas. Please oh please do NOT let her be Vote For The Worstís pet project this year.

The camera was loving Keith tonight. He comes alive for the ladies. Randy's laugh is still incredibly annoying. Nicki was Nicki (who I like as a judge) and Mariah was Mariah, who is still boring. She's too concerned about the camera, not showing much facial expression and sitting at an angle

Thatís the most animated and engaged that Iíve seen Keith since he became an Idol judge. It was very nice to see. I still have major issues with Nicki as a judge as I think she can come across as very condescending, mean spirited, and hypocritical. Itís sad because when she takes her judging seriously, she has some keen insights. I disagree that Mariah isnít showing facial expressions; she is and those expressions speaks volumes. Randy as a whole is annoying; heís mentally checked out (has for several seasons). Youíd think that someone with as much industry knowledge/experience that Randy has would have the ability to make more astute judgments.

ari333

ari333

Fanatic

Posted Feb 15, 2013 @ 11:00 AM

This is just me being bitchy and superficial, [what else is new; that ship has sailed] but I absolutely loathe the way Minaj says, "Ooool-ways" [always,] and "Ooool of you" [all of you.] It seems so Fakey McFake to me, and it's obviously not the "real" way she talks (which would be fine if it were) but she does it inconsistently. Now I'm waiting for her to burst forth in a locust valley lockjaw accent, talking out of the side of her mouth like Thurston Howell III.

And if she says, "superstar" one more time Imma throw something.

I think Mariah's face speaks volumes too and if Minaj would shutty maybe Mariah could get a word in. However, I did notice during this show that the tables turned for once when Mariah interrupted Minaj for a change heh.

Love how Keith was getting into it. He's growing on me fast.

Mr. Ari walked in during the first girl's performance (Angela?) didn't initially know what show I was watching and thought she was a pro. She may have it in the bag if TPTB want a WGWP (white girl with piano.) Seems they like to manipulate and that seems too easy. Plus there is the diversity issue,[or lack of (?)] so they may want to mix it up. IDK.

Edited by ari333, Feb 15, 2013 @ 11:11 AM.

MrSarahWalker

MrSarahWalker

Fanatic

Posted Feb 15, 2013 @ 12:07 PM

How does the Band know her "original" song? I get that the drummer only have to maintain the rhythm; but the guitar and bass, and guy on keys - how do they know the chords?

Unlike half the fools trying out for this show these guys are pros and can learn music in a short period of time. I'm sure they ran through it once or twice. Not to mention that she only played for a minute and a half and the band only came in for about 20 seconds.

I thought Angela was fantastic tonight. And I think Candice has loads of potential and hopefully nobody ever does "Girl on Fire" again this season. I'm not sick of "Girl on Fire" because that would imply I ever liked it in the first place.

Edited by MrSarahWalker, Feb 15, 2013 @ 12:08 PM.

Cherry Wire

Cherry Wire

Fanatic

Posted Feb 15, 2013 @ 12:27 PM

It'll never happen, but imagine if Zoanette won. There would be nothing more awesome than Zoanette doing the coronation song while confetti falls and Nicki Minaj puts Mariah in a headlock.

Chocorokoroko

Chocorokoroko

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 15, 2013 @ 12:28 PM

I agree with the person who said that the guys have gotten a lot more exposure than the girls;. I can hardly remember most of the girls' names, except for the ones who are getting pimped. Like good o' Zoanette. Hopefully it's the end of the line for her next week.

I can only hope for Lazaro to make it far in the competition.

Really saddening to see David Leathers get the cut again, which sucks. Darn Idol isn't showing us his performances.

Josh Holiday ripping his pants was the highlight of the night. Reminded me a lot of SpongeBob when singing about ripped pants. xD

Not upset about Kez Ban leaving; she was good at first, but the appeal kind of tumbled on down.

Speaking of next week; it's live performances already? How's that gonna work out for 40 contestants? Are we also going to vote? I'm just so confused since they mentioned next week is Las Vegas; that would indicate they are still cutting down to the Top 20? Unless they're changing it a lot this year.