12-9: "Hollywood Week, Part 3" 2013.02.13

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

53 replies to this topic

TWoP Tennison

TWoP Tennison

Fanatic

• Interests:Moderating

Posted Feb 13, 2013 @ 10:49 PM

Hollywood, part 3.

MGTex

MGTex

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 13, 2013 @ 11:09 PM

C'mon girls, why should we watch if you can't even be bothered to learn the lyrics?

Mycenaeus

Mycenaeus

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 13, 2013 @ 11:13 PM

So the theory was that they showed the boys first because they were weaker and the girls last because this is a girl's year and the girls are amazing. Meh.

I wasn't all that impressed. They were about as good/bad as they boy's group rounds.

pigeon

pigeon

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 13, 2013 @ 11:18 PM

Ugh. I just can't with Kez Ban. I thought their group, with the exception of Janelle, sounded TERRIBLE. No need to oversing "Be My Baby."

Interesting how Nikki finds it "endearing" when one contestant forgets the lyrics, but completely appalling when another one does.

Mariah continues to amuse and bewilder me.

pigeon

pigeon

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 13, 2013 @ 11:18 PM

Sorry -- double post.

Edited by pigeon, Feb 13, 2013 @ 11:19 PM.

kelbel

kelbel

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 13, 2013 @ 11:34 PM

I like Angela Miller, but they're already pimping the hell out of her and I'm afraid it'll backfire. I'm already seeing the "she's overrated" comments. Her solo performance next episode is already being hyped to the high heavens, and I'm worried that she'll peak at that point and from henceforth, won't be able to live up to that performance.

Kez Ban kind of turned me off a bit. It just seemed like she wasn't taking anything seriously. With that being said, her group sounded good. Thought they were one of the best. I thought Janelle Arthur was the standout in that group. Breanna Steer sounded off-key to me. Kez...what can I say? She has her own unique sound. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Still don't think Zoanette is a good singer. But at least she is very entertaining on stage, so she has that going for her.

Of the two country girls in the 1st round: Janelle Arthur and Rachel Hale. I liked Janelle better. Rachel sounded great too. But I found Janelle's voice much more soothing to my ears. Plus, I can't help feeling like Rachel's personality will begin to grate after awhile. Way too smiley for me.

Candice sounded the best in her group. I really don't have anything else to say about her other than that I think she has a great voice.

Felt sorry for that girl that was looking for her group and they were in the room talking trash about her to the camera. I totally laughed and said "That's what you get" when she was the only one in that group to advance through.

Out of everyone I saw tonight, I liked Janelle Arthur, Angela Miller, and Candice Glover the best.

Edited by kelbel, Feb 13, 2013 @ 11:51 PM.

Chocorokoroko

Chocorokoroko

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 13, 2013 @ 11:34 PM

Yeah, nobody really stood out for me tonight except for Janelle. I suppose Victoria was good, too.

What really supports that is because they hardly showed most of the girls performing,

I was getting sick of some of the groups singing "Somebody that I use to know"; they just get worse and worse. And they're forgetting the lyrics. Ugh.

Eck, Joanette is still in the competition as well.

yourpointis

yourpointis

Fanatic

Posted Feb 13, 2013 @ 11:53 PM

I like Angela Miller, but they're already pimping the hell out of her and I'm afraid it'll backfire. I'm already seeing the "she's overrated" comments. Her solo performance next episode is already being hyped to the high heavens, and I'm worried that she'll peak at that point and from henceforth, won't be able to live up to that performance.

Let me be the first, and it has nothing to do with tptb pimping her. I just don't like the tone of her voice. I would also add her over confidence, but that wouldn't be fair since I normally don't care one whit about a contestant's personality. Candace can be thrown into that slot as well; voice not personality. They're both too nasally for my liking.

peggy06

peggy06

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 13, 2013 @ 11:56 PM

Disappointing night. Nobody really grabbed me. A couple bugged. Stephanie, with her "I can't believe they let me through!" Please. Some in your group didn't make it, so stop already with the cutesy false humility. Kez. Liked her in the audition, but thought she sounded bad in the group. She was singing in a different key. Her voice is good for a very limited kind of music, and that is not the AI kind of music. But what really is getting to me is the quirkiness. I feel like it's just.too.much, to the point where she makes me nervous. Or makes me think she's putting it on.

I thought the first group was best.

Mia Nina

Mia Nina

Fanatic

Posted Feb 14, 2013 @ 12:14 AM

Loved the first group; the rest was mostly silence. I loved the Country singer that Nicky said stood out every time. She's fantastic and I'm already rooting for her.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if a guy wins yet again. Something about the girls is not clicking for me.

Kali12

Kali12

Fanatic

Posted Feb 14, 2013 @ 12:34 AM

Can't sing on key? Can't hold a tune (maybe can't even learn it)? No problem, as long as you're dramatically MEMORABLE, preferably with a Big Personality.

I can't remember so many bad performances resulting in advancing. When Nikki was going on and on about how enchanted she was by the singer who couldn't remember any words (and wasn't too hot with the melod either), I really wondered what was wrong with her. (Answer? I have no idea, but i think she often confuses "performance artist" with "singer"--and I don't care at ALL about performance artists masquerading as singers on a singing commpetition).

Oh, and Kez Ban is a total turn off. Why do they keep pimping her so? She doesn't seem particularly nice, REALLY couldn't sing (imo) in anything we saw this week and seems to have a weak work ethic. Yes, I get the novelty part, but why such attention paid? She's not talented enough, imo, to be of interest.

I hope this will get better when they're down to F20--but based on some of the judging so far, I have my doubts.

corvus13

corvus13

Stalker

Posted Feb 14, 2013 @ 1:00 AM

Zoanette says she doesn't like "Knock on Wood" because all of the other girls are country singers. So what, it's not a country song. Why is she even there, anyway?

"It isn't fair, I was the one who put this song all together." So? They don't care what administrative things you did, they only care how you sang.

They put that Janel through? That was ridiculous.

Funny they were running the twitter tag #wronglyrics

I so appreciate people like Brandi Neeley who leave on a good attitude, instead of all of the sour people.

I was afraid Kez Ban was going to be cut, I hope she keeps on going.

BogoGog24

BogoGog24

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 14, 2013 @ 1:00 AM

Their efforts to have a female winner this year I think will be in vain because hardly any of the girls stood out to me tonight and most of them were downright pathetic. The only girl I might like now is Candice Glover, but only for her voice. I don't personally find any connection with her enough to want her to win. I think a guy will win again this year, and one of them should, because there were way more guys who stood out to me than girls. Is it just me, or did most of the girls sound alike? I can't remember many names, faces, or differentiate their voices. I don't connect with any of them. I desperately am rooting for Charlie Askew to win, he not only has the voice but many people, including myself, can connect with him and he seems like a sweet kid. If Charlie doesn't win (which could possibly happen), Lazaro will probably win. If a female WAS to win (miraculously) I have to say the only female I can see winning is Candice.

So many awful people tonight, many good ones were sent home and awful ones stayed. I usually agree with Nicki's critiques but something was wrong with her tonight. I found Janelle annoying, not endearing in the slightest bit, crying about how she "doesn't fit in." Charlie doesn't either but we didn't see him making a big whine about it and he totally kicked ass with his group.

And WHAT. THE HELL. was up with so many of them writing the lyrics on their hands? Honestly, if any of them do that they should be eliminated immediately. That is pathetic. Simon would have never let them get away with that.

Needless to say the only contestant to sing Somebody That I Used to Know correctly so far was Charlie. I don't ever want to hear anyone sing this song again unless it's him or someone who can actually do it RIGHT.

Kez Ban was one of my favorite females from the auditions but tonight she totally turned me off. She was being really close-minded, limiting a list of 20 songs to just 1. And her awkwardness/quirkiness isn't endearing in the way that Charlie's is, it's just annoying after a while. And good God, she sound horrendous tonight as well. I think they only let her stay because 1) Her voice was shot and they know she can sing better than that and 2) She is weird and quirky. Maybe if she tones the weirdness/bratty attitude down a bit and sings better next time, I might restore my faith in her.

My other favorite female was Jesiah Baer, the girl who wore the sailor costume at her audition when the fire alarm went off. I haven't seen her at all, I guess she was eliminated even before group round? If so, I am disappointed because she was very unique and I liked her voice a lot. I would think if she was in the group rounds they would have showed her because her audition was one of the more memorable ones.

I gave Zoanette the benefit of the doubt in her audition but now I see she is still awful. Her voice sounds like it has this Fantasia-kind of potential, but she can't sing on-key or in any kind of pleasant way, really.

Basically Charlie is the only contestant I care about now in this whole competition. He is the only thing that makes this season worth watching anymore, now that they've sent quite a lot of their good contestants home like Gabe Brown and Nate Tao. Being female, I wish I could say I want a girl to win this year, but sadly I don't think any of them deserve to. Like I said, either Charlie or Lazaro deserve it the most.

cherrybomb1108

cherrybomb1108

Couch Potato

• Interests:Veronica Mars, Mass amounts of TV, Indie music,

Posted Feb 14, 2013 @ 1:20 AM

I'm so happy to be hearing so many Grace Potter songs this year.

"Sin Wagon is the best song ever" made me laugh so hard.

Northwester

Northwester

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 14, 2013 @ 1:26 AM

They had to focus on the personal drama because the singing was almost universally horrendous. I don't think there was a single group in which every girl was singing in the same key. And for anyone who aspires to being a professional singer not being able to learn the lyrics to ONE SONG is pathetic. I had to laugh when that blonde on the end in the Kez Ban group (can't remember her name, she's from Charlestown, SC) held her hand up in a big dramatic gesture and you could see the writing all over hand.

After that I couldn't believe she got put through, but then the judging was baffling to me all night. A couple of times the girl I thought was the best singer in the group was the only one who got sent home.

Zonette, who sings like in the over exagerrated style of a drag queen, the weepy Janelle, and Kez Ban were three awful singers who I think got put through soley because the producers are anticipting a lot more drama in the solo round.

If there were a lot more women sent to Hollywood it means that the judges were too easy on them in the audition rounds, because the talent level is not good. I wasn't that impressed by the guys last week, but there were a couple of guys (like Nate and Gabe) who deserve a shot at the solo round more than many of the women who went through.

Edited by Northwester, Feb 14, 2013 @ 1:28 AM.

blaase

blaase

Fanatic

Posted Feb 14, 2013 @ 2:15 AM

Wow the girls suck, Angela Miller is the best?? She would be lucky to make the top ten on most seasons.

Cherry Wire

Cherry Wire

Fanatic

Posted Feb 14, 2013 @ 3:45 AM

On a side note, does Blu Cantrell have some kind of dirt on all the judges or something? They keep using that mediocre "Hit 'Em Up Style" song every year. I'm guessing Idol finally goes off the air when Blu Cantrell gets pissed and pulls the plug.

PoorKitty

PoorKitty

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 14, 2013 @ 7:14 AM

"The Best, Most Amazing, Talented Girls in the history of Ever!" Sorry Idol, just saying it over and over doesn't make it true. I was impressed by no one. The judges choices were baffling and I can only assume that the WTF ones were put through because the producers had put a check mark by their names.

Gack at that Kez Ban thing. I don't even get why it's in the "Girls" category to begin with.

culturevulture73

culturevulture73

Fanatic

Posted Feb 14, 2013 @ 7:44 AM

I was getting sick of some of the groups singing "Somebody that I use to know"; they just get worse and worse. And they're forgetting the lyrics. Ugh.

For me, it was like watching the old compulsory dance rounds of ice dancing where the same song is used 25 times. Or, say, Carmen in free skating. I wanted to find physical copies of that song and destroy it by the end.

But hey, why bother, when every contestant slaughtered it instead?

That was scary bad - I hope tonight's finals are better because I think I'd've sent almost every singer home based on the crap harmonies and inability to learn a song.

Kez was a bit over the top but I'd've been with her when vocal coach guy was all "you're going to dinner?" Well, yeah, you're feeding me! Plus, you want me to stay up all night for the drama while everyone stresses out and turns into mean girls, I'm eating. I guess TPTB are hoping that someone will actually come to blows or faint on stage (although I sort of remember someone already fainted). I know, drama, but seriously it's getting stupid.

When they sent the one girl through who basically hummed while the rest of her group at least made up a few words? I was almost done. I guess with bands reading off teleprompters these days, writing lyrics on your hand is at least old school.

sandrajane

sandrajane

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 14, 2013 @ 8:18 AM

Nigel said that the producers were being fed info about the shenanigans going on behind the scenes for group week.

I didn't like Candace or Angela during their solo acapella round.

Oh my God at Savannah. Hey guess what, the harmonies sucked.

The Dramatics (Cristabel, Janell, Kris Mincey and high notes girl) - Everyone sounded good except for Janell forgetting the lyrics. I'm not even sure why she was so upset when they were supposed be rehearsing.

Urban Hue (Tenna Torres, Seretha)- I thought Seretha was a better singer than Tenna, whose voice was really whiny and thin when she belts. Very unpleasant to the ears.

The group with Liz Bills (Somebody That I Used To Know) - Right decision there. She was the best.

Dolly Chicks -”Sin Wagon” - Kree Harrison, Britnee Kellogg, Brandy Neelly, Haley Davis - Okay, Haley was straight up lying. Stomach flu my ass. That's not what she and her group said earlier. They should have sent her home for that.

Laurie4H

Laurie4H

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 14, 2013 @ 8:46 AM

I would have liked Candice Glover maybe in the first few seasons but I have heard so many of the diva singers that they over pimp and they all sound alike after a while. I like someone more unique. Like maybe Kez Ban if she wasn't so put on in her personality(so it seems).

MarySNJ

MarySNJ

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 14, 2013 @ 9:00 AM

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if a guy wins yet again. Something about the girls is not clicking for me.

Same here. If the Idol Powers that be are trying to make a girl winner happen, they didn't help themselves with those particular edits. There were a few good voices - and everyone has different tastes, but I didn't hear anybody that I would write home about or want to discuss at the water cooler.

Oh, and Kez Ban is a total turn off. Why do they keep pimping her so? She doesn't seem particularly nice, REALLY couldn't sing (imo) in anything we saw this week and seems to have a weak work ethic. Yes, I get the novelty part, but why such attention paid? She's not talented enough, imo, to be of interest.

Agreed. And it makes me sad and annoyed a little because her audition was one that I remember enough that I was excited to see what else she can do. Apparently, being quirky for the sake of quirky is her schtick. Maybe she doesn't care about advancing, but should just treat the group like a challenge and work at it, instead of a stumbling block to be avoided.

As to why they keep pimping her? Same reason as always. They think her oddball character = good Tee Vee. Unfortunately for them, they are focusing a lot of attention on the characters and attention whores who can't really sing, and that overshadows the talent that they claim is overflowing in this group of girls.

I feel the same way about that Janel girl. The Producers like the DRAMA and think it makes good TV, but they don't help their cause when they showcase annoying personalities. Janel was such an narcissist... "I'm a solo singer..." Right, like every other woman on this show. So full of herself, she wouldn't try to play nice. Ugh. And Nicki... WTF? She was my favorite judge last week but her lobbying Janel made no sense to me.

Of course, I'm still scratching my head about some of the decisions they made to eliminate and advance. Zoanette? Really, Idol?

I guess I'm a bit underwhelmed overall. Being cynical about the PTB's strategy to "make [a girls' year] happen", I think that has more to do with splitting up the boys and girls than anything else. The boys went first, so in theory, the girls will be fresher in people's minds when it gets to the voting rounds. I'm not sure it's going to work the way they think it will, partly because the Idol voting demographic seems to prefer a certain type of male singer/musician.

Trying to make it happen never works out the way they expect. I remember the pimping of Katie Stevens, Pia Toscano, Lauren Alaina and Jessica Sanchez. It worked to get Lauren and Jessica to second place, but not the win. It didn't work for Katie - who was undone by nerves and inexperience, or Pia who was robotic in the voting rounds. If they want one of these women to win this year, it'll have to be a country singer I think... and they'll have to pick a bunch of guys who don't sing acoustic-y rock or country.

My bet is they will pimp the girls who are most Kelly-like and Carrie-like and hope that one of them has the personality to overcome the TV boyfriend factor. So far we have the usual; big diva-ish voices and country singers - so it looks like maybe that's their strategy. We'll see.

Edited by MarySNJ, Feb 14, 2013 @ 9:14 AM.

proserpina65

proserpina65

Fanatic

Posted Feb 14, 2013 @ 9:17 AM

So those were the much vaunted girls? Eh. Not impressed at all. None of them were a patch on some of the girls in previous seasons (like Season 9 which had some terrific female singers, not that any of them won). I liked a couple of the country girls, and was glad to see the singer from Aberdeen go through since that's the first time I've ever seen someone from just the next county over from mine on Idol. And she sounded the best in her group, iirc. Candace has a good voice but I hate that overwrought style of singing - she was better in her group than in her solo. Same goes for Angela. Other than that, most of the girls weren't memorable enough for me to even comment.

Oh, and if Nicki is the reason that Zoanette, Kez and Janel went through to the next round, she is officially the worst thing ever to happen to Idol. Yes, that includes Ellen and Steven Tyler.

rollerblade

rollerblade

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 14, 2013 @ 9:36 AM

Well goodness me, that has to be the worst group round ever! Auto-tune won't even save any of these screamy screachy attention whores.

sandrajane

sandrajane

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 14, 2013 @ 10:16 AM

Oh, and if Nicki is the reason that Zoanette, Kez and Janel went through to the next round, she is officially the worst thing ever to happen to Idol.

How so if Nicki was the only yes? Three or four panel judging, she's outvoted either way. If the producers didn't like them, they wouldn't make it through. The producers have their favorites, and the rest are just there for drama and ratings.

Ktwo

Ktwo

Fanatic

Posted Feb 14, 2013 @ 10:31 AM

I noticed that there wasn't such a blatant attempt by the producers to create groups with automatic tension potential - e.g. Country Queen - with the girls as there was with the boys.

And I think they keep including that Blu Cantrell song for group night because it has SO many lyrics. Sin Wagon does, too. What amazes me is that groups keep picking it.

Edited by Ktwo, Feb 14, 2013 @ 10:33 AM.

ari333

ari333

Fanatic

Posted Feb 14, 2013 @ 11:03 AM

Kez Ban had me on board in her audition, but the way she came off tonight was a super turnoff for more than one reason. Plus, she did not sound good, so there's that and to me it seemed that a cold wasn't the whole problem. At first I found her quirky and liked the alto or lower range of her voice. Now, it seems that TPTB told her to take her usual self and jack up the cray cray to a plus 11; It IS just too much, as mentioned. Also, her look changed, imo. Previously, she looked... unique and that's all interesting and fine or whatever. Tonight, if there are stylists or someone advised her IDK what, but she seemed to have an overly manly look, which would have been no biggy except that's not how she looked before; So it seemed someone intervened with some bad advice.

It appears that TPTB are using Kez Ban to fill the Del Toro spot of a few seasons ago when Del Toro brought the crazy and didn't sound so great, yet made it through. Then Del Toro calmed the hell down and sang normally (and well) and got the ax. Seeing KB's antics tonight, which ranged from rude to beyond weird [and uncomfortable to watch,] I have to wonder if this is her fate as well as per TPTB plans for ratings, or rather, RATINGS!!

Did anyone else think, "Spider on a hot plate" when KB was leaping around all over the place? Just me. Alrighty then.

Some who made it through, whose names escape me now, sounded like hot buttered ass, imo. Others who got axed sounded good, so what do I know.

Minaj still bugs me to the point of changing the channel, if I'm holding the remote when she speaks. I really hate the eye rolling as well. I hope they only signed Minaj on for one season and hopefully she'll be the hell gone if this show even lasts another season.

Not sure I understand the rules, if they've changed. But it seems to me that the gender separation is going to send some really good singers home of one gender when less talented folks remain of the other gender. I didn't say that well. I guess I'm trying to say, why not keep the best singers period of both genders, but I'm sure there are issues with that that I haven't thought through too - things getting lopsided or whatnot.

From tonight's proceedings I get on overall feeling that TPTB are trying to find a candidate to fill the pimpage position for, "pretty country girl;" Or they will try to morph someone into a Tayloe Swift 2.0 (except perhaps the 2.0 may be able to carry a tune in a bucket.) I do think they're pulling for another female superstar to crank out, but I don't think they can manufacture another Clarkson no matter how hard they try to force it because Clarkson is the real deal. It's not that I think their other superstar, Underwood, isn't super; It's just that I can see their pushing and pimping another country beauty (a couple of whom came through on tonight's show)as generally being an easier row to hoe for TPTB, given the current crop of wannabes.

Edited by ari333, Feb 14, 2013 @ 11:19 AM.

Super Mateo

Super Mateo

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 14, 2013 @ 1:07 PM

I don't care what the reason is. If someone has the lyrics written on her hand, and especially if she's reading off of it, she should be eliminated immediately. It's not fair to the people that did learn their lyrics or at least tried to look like they knew them. Shame on you, Idol.

proserpina65

proserpina65

Fanatic

Posted Feb 14, 2013 @ 1:15 PM

Oh, and if Nicki is the reason that Zoanette, Kez and Janel went through to the next round, she is officially the worst thing ever to happen to Idol.

How so if Nicki was the only yes? Three or four panel judging, she's outvoted either way. If the producers didn't like them, they wouldn't make it through. The producers have their favorites, and the rest are just there for drama and ratings.

I grant you the producer involvement, and will also add that obviously editing is everything. It did seem, however, that Nicki was the one who was advocating the most strongly for at least Janel and Kez, and if one of the other judges was on the fence, she could've heavily influenced the decision. That said, who knows? From things I've read, Nigel gets a lot of input when the decision is split so maybe he wanted some of the more WTF contestants. I have to say that I enjoy Nicki less and less as a judge as each week goes by; even when what she's saying has merit, and last week at least that was often the case, her manner in expressing those opinions is coming across, to me, as increasing obnoxious. Maybe once we reach the voting rounds when the judges' opinions no longer matter all that much I'll have a greater appreciation for the crazy, but right now, not so much.

MrSarahWalker

MrSarahWalker

Fanatic

Posted Feb 14, 2013 @ 1:17 PM

The lyrics thing is an issue thats never going away. If they like you (Scotty McCreery) it doesn't matter and if they don't like you, it's a convenient excuse.

I really like Angela Miller and Candice and kind of like Janelle.

I've loved Nicki so far and liked her for the majority of this episode but I'm officially concerned for the live shows because for the second time she helped push through a group that completely bombed because they showed some personality during their screw up. If she's going to make excuses for her favorites during the live shows then we might have an issue. Maybe she won't, but I'm concerned.

Edited by MrSarahWalker, Feb 14, 2013 @ 1:18 PM.