4-6: "Foot Chase" 2013.02.12

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

51 replies to this topic

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Feb 12, 2013 @ 11:00 PM

Raylan's discovery of a severed foot sets off a race against time; Boyd and Ava work to break into Harlan high society.

Did Art name this episode?
"Rapes With a Smile" OK, I laughed, but I didn't feel good about it.
Holy shit, was that Blossom's brother?

ReadIshmael

ReadIshmael

Stalker

Posted Feb 12, 2013 @ 11:07 PM

I'm so annoyed with myself that I ended up grinning at Boyd's proposal, but, gosh, they're cute. I loved the little detail of Ava having to tell him the ring goes on the other hand. I enjoyed Ava more in this episode than I've been able to all season.

Boyd was oddly pissy tonight--hold over from being cuffed to the tree, I guess. He still had a ton of great lines--maybe even more than usual, since he was extra snarky--but the charm was missing until the proposal scene, because he just seemed so annoyed throughout the whole episode.

I'm also not entirely sure I like the sudden framing of Boyd's criminal career as a class issue. I mean, it's totally fair, but it also seems a little simplistic for him.

The chaos surrounding Colt is one of the most interesting things in this season, for me. It stresses me out so much to watch him.

Tim getting an independent storyline! Woooooooooooo!

deb50

deb50

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 12, 2013 @ 11:08 PM

Tim..."Good thing I didnt take my pants off".
me..."Uh, no."

Ava and Boyd at a swinger's party? I'm in!

benteen

benteen

Stalker

Posted Feb 12, 2013 @ 11:09 PM

Really funny episode. Seriously, this had a ton of funny lines. The cracks about the poetry in the beginning, Art's foot puns, Shelby talking about the last time he fired a gun, etc. Worth it alone for the dialogue tonight.

-I enjoyed the Raylan/Shelby team although I don't like Shelby's long-term future now that he's on Boyd's bad side.

-It was jarring to see a standalone Tim scene but glad he's finally getting a storyline. His friend looked immediately shady the moment I saw him.

-Colton is an absolute train wreck. But an entertaining one to be sure.

-I really could have done without the close-ups of the bloody stump.

-I liked the Boyd/Ava stuff. They have a really F'd up personal history but the relationship still feels like it works.

Edited by benteen, Feb 12, 2013 @ 11:10 PM.

thuganomics85

thuganomics85

Stalker

Posted Feb 13, 2013 @ 12:00 AM

Wow, looking at this through Deadwood-tinted glasses, the A-plot was Bullock and Ellsworth teaming up to try and find/save George Hearst. And it looks the guy might have some answers is Brent Sexton's sheriff from S1, who was Harry Manning on Deadwood. If only one of the kidnappers could have been a Deadwood guy or gal, then it would have been perfect.

Boyd and Ava getting hitched?! I really, really hope we see a wedding. I can only imagine the guest list for that, especially if Raylan finds an excuse to crash the reception.

Oh, Art and your non-stop, bad foot puns. Never change, Art. Interesting seeing Tim get a stand-alone story for once and also liked his brief scene with Colton.

Speaking of which, wow, is Colton losing his mind. He was pretty scary with that prostitute.

Enjoyed the episode. Looks like the bail jumper from the premiere is going to return next week.

MGTex

MGTex

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 13, 2013 @ 12:03 AM

So many characters and so many twists and turns in this episode, it was hard to keep track! Justified, more than any other show I've ever watched, requires close attention and even a second viewing to be sure no detail is missed in the fast moving plot developments and dialog. Art cracks me up. I'm worried about Boyd and Ava now. Something really bad is bound to be looming for them now that we've seen the "Aaaaawwwww" moment between them.

Atomic Clock

Atomic Clock

Fanatic

Posted Feb 13, 2013 @ 1:02 AM

Alan Sepinwall's weekly review of the episode.

Kind of a meh episode for me, but not every one can be a winner. The best part was watching the pairing of Raylan and Shelby. It made my Deadwood-loving heart cry out with joy.

deb50

deb50

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 13, 2013 @ 9:41 AM

The part that took my breath away was seeing Boyd's desire that his kids not carry the sins of the father. He wants to marry Ava, buy a house, raise a family.....he isn't building a criminal empire to pass on to the next generation, but to be sure HIS kids don't have to follow the way of generations of Crowder men. Mags was doing the same thing for her grandchildren. Boyd has always wanted redemption. They will have to leave Harlan to have that life tho.

So in another Raylan/Boyd mirror moment. Both saving money for the next generation.

Edited by deb50, Feb 13, 2013 @ 10:03 AM.

KalEl

KalEl

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 13, 2013 @ 10:12 AM

I've been calling Ava "Lady MacAva" due to her conversion to the darkside and encouragement of Boyd, but watching her nervously scrub that bar suggested that the writers want you to think just that. "Out out damned spot....on the bar."

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Feb 13, 2013 @ 10:35 AM

The line "That's what happens to assholes -- they get old and die from being assholes." may be one of the truest things ever said. I might embroider it on to a pillow.

Could have done without the blowtorch scene.

Can't wait for the swingers party.

sandyeggo622

sandyeggo622

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 13, 2013 @ 10:47 AM

I was thinking "Get the blowtorch", then when the one guy said it, I thought that maybe I'm just a psychopath like them !!!!

Shenanigan

Shenanigan

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 13, 2013 @ 10:50 AM

I feel like I missed a step somehow...how did Raylan and Shelby know where to find Cairn? Did they tail the lawyer lady or something?

fauntleroy

fauntleroy

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 13, 2013 @ 11:12 AM

The "funny" didn't make up for the gratuitous violence, for me. The blowtorch obviously, and Jesus, Colton is out of control and neither Boyd nor Ava has got a clue. He nearly killed that regular customer, Ray was it?, just to avoid suspicion. That can't be good for business, especially when the john recovers and spreads word. Some won't believe him but it would surely be enough to spook other regulars. Johnny must have an inkling by now of the probable cause of Colton's behavior. Maybe he'll try to use Colton against Boyd. In addition to being an addict Colton seems none too bright, I don't know why Boyd would trust him for a second.

I liked this show better when it was focused on Raylan and the other marshalls. It lingers too long on the idiot murderous lowlifes. Yes Elmore Leonard writes criminals as being mostly stupid, but just cause he writes them that way doesn't mean they need to be on screen so much. I bet Colton had more screen time than Raylan.

The final Boyd and Ava scene didn't do much for me. A customer of his wife just got beaten nearly to death and they're swooning away. So he's got the down payment on a house after all those shenanigans, big deal. Then what? Her question about a future isn't answered by a box of cash and a proposal. She used to be smarter I thought.

It was nice to see Raylan and Shelby working together at least.

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Feb 13, 2013 @ 11:26 AM

Boyd was oddly pissy tonight--hold over from being cuffed to the tree, I guess. He still had a ton of great lines--maybe even more than usual, since he was extra snarky--but the charm was missing until the proposal scene, because he just seemed so annoyed throughout the whole episode.

Honestly I think he may be feeling just as bad as Ava about killing Ellie May. I do wonder how he will feel when it's discovered she is still alive.

Both Boyd & Raylon obviously have daddy issues. I think a large part of Raylon's issues are that he feels worthless, and thus has what could best be called acting out behaviors even though he is on the right side of the law. I think he is subconsciously driving a wedge between himself and Wynona to protect her & the baby.

The whole Drew Thompson case is interesting to me only because we get more insight into who young Arlo was. As much as I enjoy seeing Jim Beaver & Gerald McRaney as Shelby & Josiah, for me it always comes back to Raylon/Boyd and the Marshall's office.

ash40s

ash40s

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 13, 2013 @ 12:10 PM

If they would only bring back Molly Parker, we might get the Deadwood ending we've been waiting for.

Artsda

Artsda

Fanatic

Posted Feb 13, 2013 @ 12:36 PM

Interesting that Boyd and Raylan are on these parallel paths, ie Saving money up for future and yet Boyd is the one doing it all right while Raylan's the dead beat screw up. Boyd has his money in a locked safe box and kept it secret from everyone including Ava for their future house and children. Raylan the marshall kept his in an underwear drawer over a seedy bar with a con woman he was sleeping with knew where it was.

Boyd's got a partner with Ava, who he confides and is equal with. Raylan's got nothing at this point other than a child he doesn't show any real care for. No money, no plans for a house, no woman to be by his side for a future.

TiffanyNichelle

TiffanyNichelle

Fanatic

Posted Feb 13, 2013 @ 12:43 PM

When Tim greeted Colton with that "hey Boyd Crowder's driver" my head went there, lol. It was nice to see Tim again and in his own storyline! Yay. Now bring Rachel into it, heh.

I need to rewatch season two and see how Shelby came in because I was so confused at the change in him but this may have been how he was all along.

Colton is freaking out of control. I can't wait for Boyd to find out that he never killed Ellen May.

Did not need to see the bloody stump. Ugh that was gross.

I can't believe how much I love Boyd and Ava. I'm glad that money turned out to be for Boyd. I do think it's funny that he has the same dream as Mags. She wanted them money from that deal in season 2 to set up her son's family so that they could leave and be respectful.

mrk63

mrk63

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 13, 2013 @ 12:56 PM

The final Boyd and Ava scene didn't do much for me. A customer of his wife just got beaten nearly to death and they're swooning away. So he's got the down payment on a house after all those shenanigans, big deal. Then what? Her question about a future isn't answered by a box of cash and a proposal. She used to be smarter I thought.

I watched that scene and thought, a year ago, I would've loved this...but they've both gone too far for me. I just can't summon up any happiness for them.

I LOVE JIM BEAVER!! There, I said it. The scenes with Shelby and Raylan were awesome. Please please please don't kill him off...they make a great team. (And Raylan doesn't need to lose another friend!)

babyblackcat

babyblackcat

Fanatic

Posted Feb 13, 2013 @ 12:58 PM

The line "That's what happens to assholes -- they get old and die from being assholes." may be one of the truest things ever said. I might embroider it on to a pillow.

I'd like to give those as gifts to a few choice people.

I definitely need a rewatch, but overall first opinion - loved Raylan and Shelby working together. I'm not a huge Deadwood fan so I don't carry much of that over to them now, I just think the characters worked well together and had a great mix of snark and respect.
Yay for Tim getting his own storyline, that surely will involve Colton. And hopefully Raylan - would like to see Tim have to ask him for help for a change.
Colton is spiraling. Scary. Boyd needs to pay attention to that.
Loved

I too could have done without the blowtorch/stump scene. I was surprised by the lawyer showing up there. At one point I was giddily excited that I'd guessed Josiah was Drew, but of course, show surprises me.

Really loved Boyd and Ava - I've often wondered if he wanted out, wanted a better life for them, or as he said, he IS a criminal and that's what he would do until it ended him at some point. I think it's really interesting that he wants the better life for them, but agree it would probably have to be anywhere other than Harlan.
Love the continuing parallels between Raylan and Boyd.

Sweet Jesus, Napier has swinger parties? That blew my mind. Not in a good way either.

loki567

loki567

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 13, 2013 @ 2:03 PM

I definitely need a rewatch, but overall first opinion - loved Raylan and Shelby working together. I'm not a huge Deadwood fan so I don't carry much of that over to them now, I just think the characters worked well together and had a great mix of snark and respect.

It's a testament to the show that I don't think Deadwood when I see those two characters interact or when they go to save Gerald McRaney. At this point, TO's more Raylan to me than Bullock. Although I still want Ian McShane as Drew Thompson.

Atomic Clock

Atomic Clock

Fanatic

Posted Feb 13, 2013 @ 4:07 PM

Colton is spiraling. Scary. Boyd needs to pay attention to that.

One of Boyd's consistent failings is that he is a lousy judge of character. It comes up time and again, from the guy in the pilot whom he summarily executed, to Dewey Crowe to Johnny to Devil and now to Colton. Boyd is a guy who is so smart as to be dumb when it comes to his own people, not able or willing to see the forest for the trees.

Napier has swinger parties? That blew my mind.

The Justified universe is getting so big that I'm losing track of characters. Who is Napier? Was he the dirty sheriff from last season?

Speaking of dirty sheriffs, I can't wait to see Sheriff Hunter again. The availability of Brent Sexton is one of the many upsides to the canceling of The Killing.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Feb 13, 2013 @ 4:53 PM

The availability of Brent Sexton is one of the many upsides to the canceling of The Killing.

You know they uncancelled that, right?

Rainapple

Rainapple

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 13, 2013 @ 6:18 PM

I have a weird feeling that they may kill Ava off. I hope I'm
wrong and I don't think they'll do it til the end of the season
but I think it's very possible. Coltan might be the one who
does it but there are plenty of other candidates.

I loved Deadwood so I love seeing the Deadwood actors.
I'd love for Ian or John Hawkes to show up , it was such
a great cast. Powers Boothe would be great to, there's a
guy that could make Duffy blink.

PictureItSicily

PictureItSicily

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 13, 2013 @ 7:16 PM

I have a weird feeling that they may kill Ava off. I hope I'm
wrong and I don't think they'll do it til the end of the season
but I think it's very possible. Coltan might be the one who
does it but there are plenty of other candidates.

I hope they don't. I like Ava. I find her interesting. And I love her with Boyd. To me, TPTB have gone to a lot of trouble to keep Ava around. Also, the number of female characters on this show is getting mighty low. If Ava were to die, it's going to end up being Rachel, a few stray hookers and grifters and whoever Raylan is screwing that week, with an occasional Winona scene.

I really liked the proposal. It was reminiscent of the scene where Boyd and Ava kissed for the first time. Night time, standing out by Boyd's truck...I get a kick out of full circle moments like that. And I'm relieved that the money he was hiding was for something good. It didn't make sense to me that he would not trust Ava, so it was a relief that it was for a surprise.

Edited by PictureItSicily, Feb 13, 2013 @ 7:25 PM.

CountryGal

CountryGal

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 13, 2013 @ 10:38 PM

I feel like I missed a step somehow...how did Raylan and Shelby know where to find Cairn? Did they tail the lawyer lady or something?

Same here. I couldn't figure it out and neither could my boyfriend. Did anyone catch this?

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Feb 13, 2013 @ 10:46 PM

I think it was because Raylan knew that the Arlo's lawyer was stalling his deal but then she denied it so on a hunch they followed her but I do think it was less than clear.

fauntleroy

fauntleroy

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 14, 2013 @ 12:30 AM

I wondered the same thing and rewatched that part. I'll buy following the lawyer as the explanation, but it looks like the scene where they actually decided to do that got left on the editing room floor.

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Feb 14, 2013 @ 1:10 AM

Who is Napier? Was he the dirty sheriff from last season?

He's one of the regulars to the whorehouse. I need to re-watch but I'm pretty sure he's the one Ellie May shot when he put the bear suit on after he gave her drugs.

I also need to rewatch that scene where Art runs down the issues that Raylon/Tim/Rachel are dealing with,because I'm pretty sure what we're seeing with Rachel helping Raylon go after grifters when they stole his money and Tim's escapades with his buddy. I can't figure out if this is an attempt to flesh these characters out, or a set up for something else.

polarbeorn

polarbeorn

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 14, 2013 @ 2:11 AM

Napier was the corrupt sheriff who Shelby unseated last season. The guy in the bear suit is Arnold,who ava tried to blackmail. Speaking of which,how the heck do the Crowders think they are going to keep their brothel business going? Word is going to spread around Harlan about Ava`s blackmail attempt and Colton beating that other customer. No John is going to come within ten miles of those hookers.

Another thing I've been wondering about. How does Raylan expect to ever sell his father's house in Harlan with all those family tombstones outside? If only he knew a good realtor.

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Feb 14, 2013 @ 2:41 AM

Another thing I've been wondering about. How does Raylan expect to ever sell his father's house in Harlan with all those family tombstones outside? If only he knew a good realtor.

Based on everything we have seen about the people of Harlan, I can't imagine them batting an eye at a some well maintained tombstones.

Edited by biakbiak, Feb 14, 2013 @ 2:42 AM.