Whodunnit? (2013): The Mole in Small Town X

• Please log in to reply

2067 replies to this topic

Anacharsis

Anacharsis

Fanatic

Posted Jul 29, 2013 @ 12:56 AM

Damn it!  I wanted Geno to win, both because I like him the best and because it would drive Kam crazy.  I don't know what Ronnie was thinking.  The teams are three-three and he decides it's best to screw over his teammate and rely upon whiny, controlling, self-righteous douchebag Kam instead?  Whatever.

I think Melina is the killer.

GaT

GaT

Fanatic

Posted Jul 29, 2013 @ 1:00 AM

I still don't understand how or why they were standing Sasha & Dana were standing there when they were discovered, & I can't believe they put fibers up their noses for other people to pull out.

I don't know why, but when Cris told Giles he should limbo dance, did that make anyone else suspicious? It just seemed strangely rehearsed, & I don't know why she suggested it. Giles was acting wacky tonight, does that mean anything?

niklj

niklj

Fanatic

Posted Jul 29, 2013 @ 1:32 AM

Man, last week it seemed pretty suspicious when Geno went down the stairs--totally thought he would get crushed by a chandelier.

This week...he gets crushed by a chandelier. Booyah!

The wax dummies weren't as creepy as I was hoping it would be, but maybe it's because this show's way too bright for a show about murder.

Freaking hate Ronnie for doing that to Geno--hope it comes back to bite him in the butt. And Melina is implicated too. I was hoping she would tell Geno what was going on.

LOVE GILES. I was getting pretty scared for him as well--as some of you mentioned, it did seem pretty suspicious that he was being so lively with the clue saying the murderer didn't want to kill anyone that night.

DementedDaisy

DementedDaisy

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 29, 2013 @ 2:28 AM

Okay, that was kind of funny.  I missed the first 20 minutes of the episode due to... Tropical Storm Flossie.  Then we get a luau at the end of the episode.  What are the odds?  

Anyway, we knew Geno was done for when he 1-- did not receive the same kind of lei (he got a kona bean as opposed to plumeria flowers) and 2 -- he didn't put it on, anyway.  Giles was drunk on umbrella drinks, right?  

Honestly, I'm going to be disappointed if Melina is the killer.  It's so obvious -- no scared card, no best performance, hasn't solved any of the riddles....  She is the definition of middle of the pack.  Until this week, the only difference between Melina and Ronnie was that Ronnie figured out 2 of the riddles.  So if we're going on the assumption that the killer must get a scared card at some point to throw off suspicion, then Ronnie may be more likely to be the killer than Melina.    

Which episode did Zuiker say he figured out the killer?

ETA Double checked -- the 8th episode.  So he didn't figure it out until just before the final?  Either he's really bad at this or we're missing something.  Or both.

Edited by DementedDaisy, Jul 29, 2013 @ 2:42 AM.

Kromm

Kromm

Fanatic

Posted Jul 29, 2013 @ 3:57 AM

The show may have big problems but one thing they do REALLY well is creepy.  I have to admit the cutting open of the dummies is one of the creepiest things I've ever seen.

Melina, you are SO the killer.  My arrow has been pointed at your black heart all along and every week supports the theory.

I'm going to be disappointed if Melina is the killer.  It's so obvious -- no scared card, no best performance, hasn't solved any of the riddles....

If its so obvious why hasn't ANYONE on the cast figured it out?  And the theories people have posted have mostly had other names attached until the past two episodes or so.

I've thought it was her from Day 1, but the show really did slow play this.  If its a triple blind of sorts though, where they were counting on her "unobviousness" striking people and leading them down a false path, I'll take my hat off to the producers.  I can't comprehend them being capable of that level of subtlety, but it would be great to be proved wrong.  I won't MIND being wrong.

In terms of "too obvious" was it my imagination but was this another week (its happened before) where not ONLY was Melina's name not mentioned by anyone in "State Your Case" but we also didn't hear HER accuse anyone else?  It hasn't always been that way (the absence of her making an accusation I mean--the lack of her being NAMED has been every week though), but its far more noticeable with less players.  Maybe TOO noticeable, I'm willing to admit that.   Whether she's the killer or not, to my mind there's DEFINITELY been intention behind when and how we hear from and about her.  Either its because she's the killer, the show is playing coy, but finally this far in being too obvious, or its because they're far more clever and she's a massive massive misdirection (but one many people might have even suspected at ALL until recently).

Although I have to say... the "Karma... kind of comes back to you buddy" is about as clear a "character breaking moment" as I've ever seen.  If that wasn't supposed to be a "the killer speaks directly to us" moment, I don't know what is.  That really does tip me over into the direction of thinking its NOT some triple blind.  It would be quite a coincidence to have THAT kind of statement come out of Melina's mouth if she wasn't the killer.

Then again, we DID get to hear a player finally notice Melina's apparent immunity to being scared.  And only the second player to be suspicious of her at all, even if Sasha apparently didn't turn her suspicion into a formal accusation (and probably died because of that).

Edited by Kromm, Jul 29, 2013 @ 4:04 AM.

mertensia

mertensia

Fanatic

Posted Jul 29, 2013 @ 4:04 AM

I think this show should just be about Giles. This would make me happy.

This episode should have taken place at night; it would have been super creepy.

Bye Geno.

I'm now thinking Melina as the killer.

Kromm

Kromm

Fanatic

Posted Jul 29, 2013 @ 4:08 AM

I'm now thinking Melina as the killer.

Was it her creepy to-camera "Karma" comment that finally got you?

alexmarsz

alexmarsz

Fanatic

Posted Jul 29, 2013 @ 4:35 AM

Really lousy strategy, Ronnie.  At best you set yourself up for an easy icing out in the next two weeks.  At worst, Geno might have thought to check the back had he known there was an injury there, giving your team a quick exit to the last part of the riddle.  After making some good moves earlier in the series, this was just really bad play.

(By the way, I thought the "double snowman" clue was incredibly obvious and would have been running to the piano before Giles finished reading.  But I guess it's just as well for the game that they got to show people searching.)

Regarding the discussion from yesterday, while I've pretty much been an early adapter for saying A) it's Melina and B) I don't care about the "who" anyway, I think the "how" play-along has been just fine.  It's definitely not necessary to wait for the riddle to at least get 90% of it.  You might not have known which board the killer swung at Ulysses, or where the final blood draining took place.  But the scene clues were enough to say poison by Oleander puncture and cloroform into blood draining.  

(In hindsight even the back wound, footsteps, and drops of blood indicated that Dana was marched out.  I didn't put it together at the time but I have to admit it's how a mystery should be.)

On the whole I'm really pretty happy with the play-along of the actual mysteries.  The game structure could use a few tweaks and the nonsense about guessing the killer is just that.  But the core concept of deducing the murder?  It works for me.

mertensia

mertensia

Fanatic

Posted Jul 29, 2013 @ 5:17 AM

Actually Kromm it's due to her silly reaction to Giles at the luau.

Xazeal

Xazeal

Fanatic

Posted Jul 29, 2013 @ 5:33 AM

I really thought Geno was the killer,especially since he ONCE AGAIN avoided saying "Kam, I know you're the killer" or anything of the sort, instead stating that it would be the two of them at the end. I'm shocked that he's gone, but death by chandelier is kind of awesome.

I still want Cris to either win or be the killer. She comes off as a pretty bright woman who doesn't play the game in a mean-spirited fashion, she just plays to win and withholds just enough information to further herself in the game. I find her very likable, and would like to see her stick around until the end.

lrdmordain

lrdmordain

Fanatic

Posted Jul 29, 2013 @ 5:53 AM

So does anyone think they're going to use / show secret passages ala Clue at some point to justify how the Killer gets around?

fresiaa

fresiaa

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 29, 2013 @ 6:19 AM

I was thinking.

..... as the twitter population on this earth believe the killings are real, they MUST give the killer a positive edit, otherwise he/she will be lynched by vigilantes. (bummer, I thought Geno had the most positive edit)

.... all contestants should have a fair chance, so the killer shouldn't help one contestant over the other. So, now Geno is gone, I lost the plot (o...wait...  there was no plot)... so is there someone who is working both teams?

Nice party, by the way :)

As for todays murder, it was really to easy. No red herring in sight.

Fabricationary

Fabricationary

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 29, 2013 @ 7:03 AM

The postmortem is up:  http://abc.go.com/sh...tage-postmortem

2. Off-camera, the special effects artist, John Goodwin, had to get face masks from each contestant and then pour them into molds. Contestants had no idea what he was doing and what it was for. The process took about 45 minutes per person.

This makes me chuckle.

Character Zero

Character Zero

Fanatic

Posted Jul 29, 2013 @ 7:07 AM

So do they want us to play along at home or not?  Because there was a "killer tweet" during the episode saying something like "who do you think I am" or "have you figured out who I am", something like that.  So they can't just do stuff like that and the nin interviews brush off that viewers are trying to use logic and figure out the killer. 

At first when Geno stepped over the show print I thought "wow they are really giving it away".  But then when Cris found the shoe and stuffing, they completely exhonerated Geno from being the killer.  So it seemed obvious he would be the next to go.  I guess they could have said the killer did that to cause confusion but I thought it took Geno out of the compeition.

So how did Cris find that secret entrance so fast.  That clue seemed crazy long and before I could process it she wa sin the morgue pushing away that shelf.

Primal

Primal

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 29, 2013 @ 7:25 AM

Two points...

1) This was the first murder where I really felt like I would be no good at stating my case. Even with the knife and the back/blood clues, I still didn't work out that Dana had pushed the cart to the elevator. Somehow I got it in my head that she saw the killer coming and had run out into the hall, only to be grabbed until he/she could sedate her. So well played, show, for actually upping the challenge for me!

2) Where do you buy that magic carpet where everything from bare feet to rubber wheels leaves a big visible mark on it???

Oh, let's make it three. 3) Ronnie... what on earth were you thinking?????

SomeTameGazelle

SomeTameGazelle

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 29, 2013 @ 7:28 AM

By the way, I thought the "double snowman" clue was incredibly obvious

I think of snowmen as 3 circles, so 88 would never have occurred to me until Geno figured it out. Plus they had been talking about how cold the house was, which seemed more closely related to snow.

Character Zero

Character Zero

Fanatic

Posted Jul 29, 2013 @ 8:04 AM

I knew snowman=8 from being bad at golf and getting 8 sometimes on holes.  A guy I was playing with would say "snowman", but that is th eonly conext I have heard it.

Alexandria Bay

Alexandria Bay

Stalker

Posted Jul 29, 2013 @ 8:41 AM

As much as I love Giles, and I do, I kind of wish he'd tone down the cheerfulness. Being full of glee at the luau was fine (but limbo? No. Just...no) because of the promise of a murder-free evening. But dancing with the maid with two corpses in the room was callous, unless the killer ordered him to do it. It would just add to the atmosphere if he seemed a little reluctant to participate in serial killings.

Allie303

Allie303

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 29, 2013 @ 8:57 AM

I actually felt kind of bad for Geno this episode, but overall I'm glad he is gone. He contributed very little to the show. 

I agree there are lots of hints that could point to Melina being the killer, but that would be such an underwhelming ending. She contributes almost nothing to the show and has basically been a footnote throughout the season. All she does is follow others around and wait for them to solve the puzzles so she can piggyback. And her overreactions to like everything... No thanks. 

Rooting for a Lindsey, Cris and Kam final 3, with one of the ladies correctly identifying the other lady as killer, and Kam as runner-up. 

SweetGAPeach94

SweetGAPeach94

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 29, 2013 @ 9:19 AM

I think of snowmen as 3 circles, so 88 would never have occurred to me until Geno figured it out. Plus they had been talking about how cold the house was, which seemed more closely related to snow.

I had the same thought. I immediately thought to myself, "Double Snowmen could mean 88, but that would be three circles plus three circles. That wouldn't work."

As much as I love Giles, and I do, I kind of wish he'd tone down the cheerfulness. Being full of glee at the luau was fine (but limbo? No. Just...no) because of the promise of a murder-free evening. But dancing with the maid with two corpses in the room was callous, unless the killer ordered him to do it. It would just add to the atmosphere if he seemed a little reluctant to participate in serial killings.

He is highly inappropriate, but he cracks me up with the camp and his wardrobe. My favorite had been the espisode when Don died via cyanide. He came running in to shoot the mountain lion with his suit on and when we see him again, he's dressed for a safari.

But I keep looking for production/editing errors. The biggest one I caught was the Dontae re-enactment. Dontae was supposedly wearing special socks and caused the spark via static electricity of the socks on the rug. But when the burning body runs down the stairs and jumps in the pool he is wearing shoes.

Then last night we have Giles doing the limbo. Melina and Lindsey are holding the limbo pole and we can see Cris in the background. Then suddenly there is a splice of footage that shows Lindsey standing next to Cris laughing as Melina holds the pole and someone is obviously holding the other end. Then we have another shot of Lindsey holding the pole with one hand and a drink with the other.  

dianewannabe

dianewannabe

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 29, 2013 @ 10:07 AM

But then when Cris found the shoe and stuffing, they completely exhonerated Geno from being the killer.

How do we know that the killer had the stuffing in the shoe when wearing it. Couldn't the killer have put the stuffing in to throw suspicion to one of the women. For what it's worth, I have thought that Ronnie was the killer from the beginning and as compelling as the Melina arguments are, I need to stand my ground...until he dies of course, at which point I will gladly switch to Melina :)

aradia22

aradia22

Fanatic

Posted Jul 29, 2013 @ 10:19 AM

I think this show should just be about Giles. This would make me happy.

I don't know how they'd do it as a reality show but I could see a scripted TV series, movie, or book about a beleaguered butler with a cheerful disposition but a sick sense of humor. He has a particular aversion to the outdoors either because of some past experience where his Australian father insisted on taking him camping or just because he's a British stereotype. He served a family faithfully for many years but when the master of the house died, he was fired and left without a job for many months. Maybe he took a job as a street performer or a children's birthday party entertainer or a Vincent Price impersonator. One day he gets a letter from a prospective employer asking him to report to Rue Manor. And then we follow the events of the show through the eyes of Giles and watch him behind the scenes judging the contestants, straining under the pressure of helping to commit and cover up the crimes.

lrdmordain

lrdmordain

Fanatic

Posted Jul 29, 2013 @ 10:33 AM

How do we know that the killer had the stuffing in the shoe when wearing it.

The Killer specifically mentioned using the shoes with the stuffing in them during his "how I did it" recount after the accusations. 

aradia22

aradia22

Fanatic

Posted Jul 29, 2013 @ 10:38 AM

Melina's acting is so bad. "Sa... sha?" 

For the channel that airs Dancing With the Stars, I expected Giles' dancing to be better. They could have done some kind of awkward tie-in. Networks love those.

How was a butler dancing with debutantes?

Where do you buy that magic carpet where everything from bare feet to rubber wheels leaves a big visible mark on it???

That reminds of the old theories that it was Giles or one of the maids. But I think they would be more upset that the killer expected them to keep cleaning up these crazy clues. I don't think they do more than change the sheets (if they change the sheets) at hotels. But people would notice if the maids didn't clean or replace those carpets.

That blood looked like food coloring. A little effort, guys.

LOL "Did they come in on a creepy tricycle?" -Cris. I love how that could be a serious guess on this show.

Dolphincorn

Dolphincorn

Fanatic

Posted Jul 29, 2013 @ 10:39 AM

I still believe it's Ronnie.

dianewannabe

dianewannabe

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 29, 2013 @ 10:39 AM

I must have missed that. Boy that is one heck of a clue then. Seems like it had to be one of the women, unless Kam or Ronnie have really small feet.

aradia22

aradia22

Fanatic

Posted Jul 29, 2013 @ 11:32 AM

I've watched every season of Face Off. That is terrible special effects makeup. You can totally see the seam where the "wound" is applied to the applied to the arm. There isn't enough blending.

I can't believe they put fibers up their noses for other people to pull out.

Part of me loves that they did that because the two mean girls who seemed overly concerned with their appearances (more Dana than Sasha) though they both caked on their makeup had the cameras close in on their nostrils and nose hairs. Not the most flattering angle.

Someone asked earlier what Kam's plan was. My understanding of the plan was that they wouldn't give Geno the information to solve the crime so that if he managed to get a Spared card it would imply that he was the killer because only the killer would have enough information to survive the elimination when the other players weren't cooperating with him/her.

Well, now we know that they're allowed to have paper and that Ronnie has a notebook.

They have a movie theater???

Oh my God, those wax figurines were hideous. I thought the masks on Pretty Little Liars were bad. 

I was surprised that they didn't tear open the dummies immediately since that was the only clue I understood. Just go at it like a pinata. 

The second morgue wasn't as good as the Clue hidden passages we were hoping for but it was alright. 

I said last week when we saw Dana and Sasha at the piano that TPTB/production team/writers better have a good explanation for how the bodies were posed that way given the changes the human body undergoes as someone dies/post-mortem. Of course, we got nothing. Why am I even surprised?

OK, now that I'm watching the episode, I see Kam's point. Ronnie didn't follow through with the deal to take himself and Melina over to team LCK and leave Geno on his own so Kam didn't feel like he had to share information because he didn't feel like they were on the same team.

"I know that Ronnie is a liar. He has no conscience." -Geno 

Oh, but now they're twitter BFFs.

I like that Kam has a sense of humor about everything and doesn't gasp and scowl like some of the others.

How would holding someone at knife point make those deep gashes? 

rachmo

rachmo

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 29, 2013 @ 11:35 AM

Kudos to Sasha for lying still why they picked white cotton out of her nose.

This show is so ridiculous.

Gregzilla

Gregzilla

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 29, 2013 @ 11:51 AM

The killer was poking at Dana's back, which made the blood drops and the gashes.

rose711

rose711

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 29, 2013 @ 11:56 AM

Kam is easy to get along with as long as he feels he is in control and things are going his way.
When he had a sacred card he was insufferable and only concerned about himself.

Kan has pretty much bulldozed his way on this show- though how much of it was directed by the producers, we don't know. Perhaps their plan was to let him be a very strong player so everyone would assume he was the killer.

I think we would be seeing a different side to Kam if he wasn't getting what he wants. All these contestants have been the same forever; the world is bright when you are on top and you arethe greatest, something is unfair or someone is a terrible person if you are in the bottom. From his tweets last week he still sounds bitter. Not a charming guy.

I can't wait for him to be eliminated