Welcome To Myrtle Manor

• Please log in to reply

85 replies to this topic

WhitneyWhit

WhitneyWhit

Fanatic

Posted Feb 12, 2013 @ 11:10 AM

Coming to TLC March 3rd, a show about a trailer park!

Welcome To Myrtle Manor

iluvobx

iluvobx

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 12, 2013 @ 5:23 PM

It will be another TLC scripted "reality" show. MB has been buzzing about this for awhile now. They moved in trailers to the back of the "park" and brought in people to film this and made a sign that says Myrtle Manor. The name of the park is Patrick.

ShaNaeNae

ShaNaeNae

Fanatic

Posted Mar 3, 2013 @ 11:31 AM

I was just coming to start a thread about this. I've been watching the commercial over and over and over and over (and it's literally on while I type this) for over a month now.

iluvobox, huh? MB? Mark Burnett? Who are they? The producers moved into the trailer park and then brought in actors as residents? So the people never actually lived there? And is there several Myrtle Manors and they designate the seperate parks by a name, like Patrick? I don't get it. What is the source for that information?

I did find it strange regarding the "cast". It's all listed on a Wikipedia page. What? Nobody just boring like, "the blonde hair lady on the left side of the street who watches TV all the time and is on food stamps"?

Chrissytd

Chrissytd

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 3, 2013 @ 12:36 PM

I think MB is Myrtle Beach, which is where the show takes place.

AZChristian

AZChristian

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 3, 2013 @ 2:29 PM

I think I'll let this one pass.

If I want to see stupid people in trailer parks with no common sense or even common courtesy towards each other (or society), I'll watch "Cops" on Saturday night.

iluvobx

iluvobx

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 3, 2013 @ 8:07 PM

ShaNaNae, I live in SC and DD (darling daughter) lives in the MB area. She worked right around the corner from the trailer park.The park is located near one of the largest malls in the MB area. The newspapers here have had a field day with this. The Myrtle Manor sign was brought in and placed towards the back of park and the trailers used were brought in along with the actors. Myrtle Manor is the made up name and people do live in Patrick (actual name of the place). I do not know why that particular park was chosen. I imagine that the real residents of the park were unwilling to be a part of a fake "reality" show.
MB stands fro Myrtle Beach.

GeorgePBurdell

GeorgePBurdell

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 4, 2013 @ 1:36 AM

These people may be actors, but I live in NC and I've met or observed people like each and every one of these characters.

NJRach

NJRach

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 4, 2013 @ 7:46 AM

I tried to watch this and didn't last too long. You could tell it was all plotted out beforehand. There's one scene where the manager is in her office and there's a knock at the door. She says, "Let's see who that is," on par with a 5 year old's acting in a school play. As if she doesn't know.

The trailers looked way too jazzed up. And the supposed residents were over-acted versions of some people that probably do exist. They were obviously paid actors.

What a trainwreck.

iluvobx

iluvobx

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 4, 2013 @ 11:35 AM

I admit I did try to watch it. Gave it up less than 5 minutes into it. You could tell it was scripted. I am sure that there are plenty of "characters" that live in a trailer park (same as a housing development) that would be more interesting than this scripted crap. If you are going to do a script, at least make it interesting and/or funny.

iluvobx

iluvobx

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 6, 2013 @ 5:02 PM

The "Myrtle Manor" sign has been stolen. Here is the link to the news story. Myrtle Manor Sign Stolen

Edited by iluvobx, Mar 6, 2013 @ 5:02 PM.

ShaNaeNae

ShaNaeNae

Fanatic

Posted Mar 6, 2013 @ 6:00 PM

iluvobx, thanks for all the information. I would say if this show is already having this much publicity that it's fake and it's ONLY publlicity is that it's scripted, I'm inclined to believe it.

Like those weiner sisters can afford rent just by walking around selling crappy hot dogs all day? And the pool just now opened after being shut down for 40 years (or some other long-ass time)? Scripted or not scripted, Bandit cracked my shit up. Dude registered 5.0 on the crazy scale.

Previews for next week? Even more fakery. There was Becky, vying for the most dramatic role with a pondering and sentimental speech saying something about her daddy. Then when they sent a letter to the hair salon in the park saying the building might be condemed and shut down for good, she went for the dramatic role again, this time with a tear-jerking action with, "Now we'll all be out of a job!" They couldn't find a few people who at least took drama in high school?

iluvobx

iluvobx

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 6, 2013 @ 8:50 PM

Why pay the price for a real actor when you can get it cheap? It is so fake but then TLC is no longer trying to cover up how fake their shows really are.
ShaNaeNae, with that link that was provided, you can search that site for all the news on Myrtle Manor. Guess you can just sit back, have your mind numbed while laughing at all the stereotypes that TLC believes would live in a "trailer" park. There is no way that an above pool could last 40 (or how every many years they claim).
If you have ever been to MB,everyone knows where to buy hot dogs and they do not come from a "bike" cart. You just walk up to the window on the beach at one of the best hot dog stands in the Strand.
Did you happen to catch the notice on the office wall when the "Manager" was talking to the girl (the one she told that they had no vacancies)? It was the Fair Housing Notice. I got a good belly laugh over that.

friendperidot

friendperidot

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 7, 2013 @ 12:35 AM

Haven't watched this, probably won't, but from the commercials, it reminds me of the trailer park in The Last Starfighter, except the people there were good actors.

jerseydevil

jerseydevil

Fanatic

Posted Mar 8, 2013 @ 2:38 PM

There are plenty of so-called reality shows that are scripted - that's nothing new. But if the people are actors who were cast for the roles, how in the world can this still be called a "reality" show. From where I sit, it's a soap opera!

MrsSea

MrsSea

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 12, 2013 @ 2:31 PM

ShaNaNae, I live in SC and DD (darling daughter) lives in the MB area. She worked right around the corner from the trailer park.The park is located near one of the largest malls in the MB area. The newspapers here have had a field day with this. The Myrtle Manor sign was brought in and placed towards the back of park and the trailers used were brought in along with the actors. Myrtle Manor is the made up name and people do live in Patrick (actual name of the place). I do not know why that particular park was chosen. I imagine that the real residents of the park were unwilling to be a part of a fake "reality" show.
MB stands fro Myrtle Beach.

so she didn't REALLY voilate Fair housing policy in the begining when she said that if she doesn't want to rent to someone, she doesn't have anything ot rent??

ShaNaeNae

ShaNaeNae

Fanatic

Posted Mar 12, 2013 @ 2:52 PM

This is a total tank. With the narratin', I reckon they're trying to be the Dukes of Hazzard, y'all.

So was this trailer park special before they filmed it? Like the ultimate place to live amongst white trash?

I find it funny that on the Wikipedia page, it says this about the weiner business:

Chelsey is the owner of a start-up hot dog business on wheels named Darlin' Dog. Her constant partying puts her career in jeopardy.

Her career? Do you have to have a certain level of professionalism to peddle weiners on the beach in your bikini?

Guess what I just did? I clicked on the story upthread about the stolen sign. Right where the video plays, it starts on the regular sign for the mobile home park and the phone number is visble. I turned back the clock to be 12 again and called them. They did answer 'Patricks Mobile Home Park' and it could have been Becky, or any lady with that same voice but I said I have the wrong number and with a happy voice she piped up an, "it's ok!!!" Ha. Yes, I am actually an adult, supposed to be working at my real job, but stuff like that just never stops being fun.

robroy

robroy

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 14, 2013 @ 7:48 PM

OK- total admission. I am originally from Conway which is one town inland from Myrtle Beach and the county seat. This thing has been sliced & diced like it was ginsu practice in a carving class. The mobile home park is real, was originally started by the frandparents & apparently had a reputation as well run. Its near the original downtown area of Myrtle Beach on a road that leads to the Myrtle Beach Airport. And all the sand was completely dumped in. Its accross a major 4-6 lane road and a couple of blocks from the beach.

I drive to Myrtle Beach for work frequently and this had everyone enraged. Best peice of gossip is that one of the guys is apparently a stripper. Otherwise everyone was more upset that it was a total bore as opposed to phony. I'll be up there next week meeting with a contractor & will share any new info.

robroy

robroy

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 14, 2013 @ 7:49 PM

Double post.

Edited by robroy, Mar 14, 2013 @ 7:50 PM.

iluvobx

iluvobx

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 14, 2013 @ 8:24 PM

robroy, I had heard about the male stripper also. I was even told what club but I can't remember-things like that don't stick. A lot of people were very upset over this. As I said, when my dd & I would go to Coastal Grand Mall, she would swing down 15. Where she worked at, you could see the ocean (she was a block away) and the Yachtsman was right there. At one time, Patrick did have a very good reputation.
My dd lives in Pawley's.
Edited to add:
ShaNaeNae, that is funny! When I posted the link, I didn't realize that the video had the true sign with the phone number on it. I wonder how many people caught that and called that number?
For the record, Myrtle Beach has a lot of mobile homes. Most are permanent and in communities that are very well maintained. A lot of retired people

Edited by iluvobx, Mar 14, 2013 @ 8:28 PM.

nymediamaven

nymediamaven

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 17, 2013 @ 8:16 PM

I used to live in Myrtle Beach. A quick mapquest, and I know just where this place is: it's on the old shortcut from Socastee to the King's Highway, before all the new buildup. I am relieved; my old girlfriend lived in a trailer park in Socastee, and I was a bit worried that it could be her old place.

Saw the second episode rerun this afternoon, and it is a total farce. It's quite odd that no one hardly leaves the trailer park, or that there's a business - a beauty shop - inside of it. The residents are funny when they wonder how their hair will get cut when it's condemned, as if there aren't any other shops to go to.

I do have to say this is first time in many years I've watched anything on TLC, which once upon a time was The Learning Channel and had some decent, informative programming on it. But now, like almost every other cable channel, it has cheap, stupid "reality" programming. Jeez, even the Weather Channel doesn't have any weather on it anymore.

If this show lasts its whole first run, I'll be surprised.

barkley

barkley

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2013 @ 5:12 PM

She actually didn't violate Fair Housing - you can't discriminate based on race, sex, religion, familial status, color, or national origin. Pets are not a protected class.

Constant

Constant

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 26, 2013 @ 9:06 PM

God, this show is boring. I knew it'd be bad but I at least thought it'd be entertaining in a trainwreck way like Gypsy Sisters. Instead it's hours of 'the salon is dirty, then they clean it. Marvin thinks there's something in the closet, but it's empty'

Edited by Constant, Mar 27, 2013 @ 1:15 PM.

King Cat Sam

King Cat Sam

Fanatic

Posted Mar 26, 2013 @ 9:29 PM

Oh boy, was I far off on this one. I have glided and skipped over this thread as I really thought the name implied some show similiar to a serious upper crust royal British type of Downton Abbey drama. Was only the other night, that I actually landed on the remote by accident and I realized I was so far off the mark. Not my cup of tea.

ShaNaeNae

ShaNaeNae

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2013 @ 11:11 AM

Anyone even watching this? I've seen some of the episodes because all hours I'm not working, I'm watching TLC.

It is just as stupid and fake, but I was surprised by looking at some of the resident's pages, they actually do live there. Amanda had a line of people who drove to the park lined up outside her trailer and apparantly they think nothing of knocking on the door at the butt crack of dawn.

But, seriously? These people go to a meeting to find out who pissed a bed? They're into eachothers business that much? Yeah, I can see that happening.

And Chelsie can't date a guy that has no drive? Says she who lives in a trailer park and sells weiners on the beach.

I have no admit Marvin cracks my shit up. "You think pee is yucky? Pee is part of you. It comes from inside you. So if you think pee is yucky, then you think you are yucky". And I'm totally rooting on him courting that crazy flamingo lady, what's her name? Ann?

Edited by ShaNaeNae, Apr 22, 2013 @ 11:12 AM.

iluvobx

iluvobx

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 22, 2013 @ 12:20 PM

I hate to admit it but I do. For awhile, I was watching The Vikings but couldn't handle the violence. Once I decided to view Myrtle Manor as nothing more than dumb scripted show, I discovered it wasn't so bad. Translation, if I miss it, I don't worry about it.
As for Jared, he is the one that is/was a male stripper.
I watched the one from "biker" week. We have been visiting our daughter during biker week and you can't move for the bikes. Most of them go to a bar called Suck Bang Blow. I swear, that IS the name of the place!

edited because I forgot to add: Cecil is asking or special permission to sell Myrtle Manor tee shirts, etc at the trailer park. Seems they have to have a special permit to sell items in a residential area. I think it was reported that they hope to have the trailer up and running in the next couple of weeks. From what I have gathered from what Cecil has said,the show is not currently being filmed.

Edited by iluvobx, Apr 22, 2013 @ 12:24 PM.

ShaNaeNae

ShaNaeNae

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2013 @ 12:32 PM

Isn't Cecil the owner? It must be a city code they can't sell? I wonder if he really took it away from his daughter and gave it to his granddaughter?

I'm like you, I've missed a few, caught a few, wasn't udderly bored.

Is it normal for a trailer park to rent out the trailer? I'm not all that familiar with trailer parks, but I thought it was like someone owned each one and they paid rent on the lot. I've never seen someone rent out the whole trailer. If she wants to make it the best trailer park ever, she's failing. Because all that golf cart/bull horn/busy body-ing would drive me right out of there.

Love the name of that bar, iluvobx! That's funny. I like that you always have a little insight from the show!

iluvobx

iluvobx

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 22, 2013 @ 2:13 PM

I'm sorry, when I said trailer, I meant the souvenir trailer. Cecil Patrick owns the park. I believe he is the second generation. I really don't know about the granddaughter. Figure it is mostly scripted about the granddaughter.
The park is actually a very nice park a couple of blocks from the beach. It has been there for a long time. When they show the actual park, you can see how well maintained it is and the different types of trailers/mobile homes that are in it. The trailers shown on the show, the sand, the sign and the above ground pool were all brought in by TLC just for the show. The are all located in the very back of the park. As I said, I really believe all that nonsense is strictly for the show and it is not how Patrick Trailer Park is actually ran.

I have been told that Suck Bang Blow is only open during biker week. I can say, that is the only time I have ever seen it open. The first time I saw the place, we were with our daughter's in-laws and they were the first to tell us about the place. The name tickles me too.

I stand corrected about when Suck Bang Blow is open. The original in Murrells Inlet is open everyday but the one down on 17 is the one that is open only during bike week and maybe the spring rally time. Maybe they were telling me about the one we passed on 17 being open and I misunderstood about it being both of them. Either way, the name is still a hoot!

Chutney

Chutney

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 22, 2013 @ 6:01 PM

I've thought a lot about this (more than a fake "reality" show warrants), but Marvin (the security guard) very much gives me the impression that he is not quite..all there. His intellectual functioning seems to be impaired. Am I crazy? Or is it an act?

iluvobx

iluvobx

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 22, 2013 @ 8:25 PM

Bless his heart. ;-) Translation: he ain't bright or right in the head

I really think it is an act. I am not a fan of Marvin. They really could do without him. He doesn't seem to do anything except run around talking about piss and thinking Ann is hot.

Is it normal for a trailer park to rent out the trailer? I'm not all that familiar with trailer parks, but I thought it was like someone owned each one and they paid rent on the lot. I've never seen someone rent out the whole trailer.

Some rent the lots and some rent the lot and trailer that is on it. I believe that you can rent a trailer at Patrick Trailer. Some of the "trailer" park communities in MB, you owned your own place. Several are for "retires/seniors" only.
Here is a link about the souvenir trailer at Patrick Trailer Park aka Myrtle Manor
My link

Chutney

Chutney

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 25, 2013 @ 11:13 PM

I really do hope Marvin's behavior is an act. He just seems muddled and pathetic. And it's irritating to me that I don't ever know what the hell he's talking about. When he tries to be "professional" it is the most cringe-worthy to me. It's just embarrassing. I hate it.

Edited by Chutney, Apr 25, 2013 @ 11:15 PM.