2-13: "Tiny" 2013.02.10

• Please log in to reply

139 replies to this topic

ElaineofShalott

ElaineofShalott

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 14, 2013 @ 4:06 PM

If you are a rich businessman, you do but us regular folks take the bus for $40. :)

Of course Gold is a rich businessman.

it would only bother someone from Boston.

I was more distracted that Logan Airport didn't look like any of the Logan terminals I've been in and I've actually been on those flights between Boston and New York when I had to take an international flight from JFK.

Edited by ElaineofShalott, Feb 14, 2013 @ 4:07 PM.

Cardie

Cardie

Fanatic

Posted Feb 14, 2013 @ 7:17 PM

Regina's adoption of Henry probably occurred in the same way that King George adopted James. Rumple trades the birth parents something they desire in exchange for the baby and then plops the baby into the arms of those wanting a child who have traded him something for it. Current American adoption law has very little relevance. The only mystery is how Gold managed to do this long distance. But I'm pretty sure no courts were involved.

BelovedMaeve

BelovedMaeve

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 15, 2013 @ 4:16 PM

I enjoyed this episode, definitely moreso than "In the Name of the Brother". Mostly because I enjoyed seeing the Charmings doing the adventure thing, Snow doing her protective thing, the road trip, etc.
One thing that bothered me was Charming's name. I don't mind that its David, or that it was predictable. I thought the whole scene with them running away from the giant was pretty funny. I didn't even mind them keeping it a secret but, why bring it out in this episode? I mean, the episode was somewhat Charming-centric but I was expecting a bigger reason for his name not being revealed for so long. For example, if he was Jack, from Jack and the Beanstalk. But his name had little to do with his backstory. The biggest connections I see aren't fairy tale but biblical. David and Goliath. David and James. This took away some of the delight at having an actual name.

Edited by BelovedMaeve, Feb 15, 2013 @ 4:16 PM.

ElaineofShalott

ElaineofShalott

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 15, 2013 @ 6:20 PM

why bring it out in this episode?

My theory is that they were holding his name in reserve. They were considering having his name be significant but hadn't decided on how. They finally ruled that out and so they decided to go for humor, poking fun at themselves for keeping it secret so long.

stealinghome

stealinghome

Stalker

Posted Feb 15, 2013 @ 7:05 PM

I think that's probably right. Through S1 they were pretty cagey about it--most of S1 suggested that his name/identity were a closely guarded secret. It's really only been in S2 that they've suggested more people knew.

Cindy McLennan

Cindy McLennan

Network Executive

Posted Feb 15, 2013 @ 7:36 PM

The recap is up. I hope you enjoy it.

Corydora

Corydora

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 16, 2013 @ 1:09 AM

How does Henry know about Cinnabon unless they have tv commercials on in Storybrook? I think Gold was in a hurry and taking a plane seemed fastest since he didn't know about all of the security things you have to go through. He seems like a Time and Newsweek reader to me, though; that should have educated him.

My butter bean crop totally failed last year so that one little cutting has me very worried.

Same about Belle and her attitude. I can't figure out who she is now unless Regina wiped her memory when she put her in the cell and now she is back to no psyche at all? They should be trying to restore her self, take her to Granny's, explain things gently. Making her think she is crazy makes no sense.

I think that Rumple/Gold respect Emma as they do almost no other but Belle because Emma is honorable. He made so many deals with people who were greedy, sold their kids, killed people, were out for themselves. Emma keeps her word, she does things for reasons other than love of money, and unlike his wife, Emma loves her son and will never leave him. Well she was going to last year, but she thought it was best for him.He is has gone to the ends of the universe to find his boy and he respects Emma's devotion to her son. In my opinion.

Edited by Corydora, Feb 16, 2013 @ 1:11 AM.

Schmacky0

Schmacky0

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 16, 2013 @ 1:32 AM

How does Henry know about Cinnabon unless they have tv commercials on in Storybrook?

It's my personal headcanon that Henry had his first experience with Cinnabon when he was on his adventure to Boston and he was so excited to see it again at the airport because he remembered just how damn good they are.

I think that Rumple/Gold respect Emma as they do almost no other but Belle because Emma is honorable

I think it's very possible that plays into it. Emma made a deal that was completely selfless. It wasn't for her at all. Everyone who has made deals with him has done it for themselves or someone they love. Even her parents made deals with Rump for selfish reasons (Snow because she wanted the heartache to stop and David because he wanted Snow back). Emma made her deal for a girl she barely knew.

BelovedMaeve

BelovedMaeve

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 16, 2013 @ 3:10 AM

My theory is that they were holding his name in reserve. They were considering having his name be significant but hadn't decided on how. They finally ruled that out and so they decided to go for humor, poking fun at themselves for keeping it secret so long.

That's a good point. Kinda disappointing that there was a failure of imagination.

LisaJ

LisaJ

Fanatic

Posted Feb 16, 2013 @ 12:08 PM

I never liked Cinnabon, too many calories.

David's true name being David was kinda funny and in retrospect, predictable considering he was left in a coma and had no Storybrooke identity when we first met him. Still, I didn't guess it.

I hope Rumple doesn't get his powers back upon returning to Storybrooke. I'd like to see him facing the town powerless and becoming useful and developing enough self esteem without them. It'll be closing a circle after he let Bae go without him because he didn't want to lose his powers and now he lost his powers searching for Bae. Still, I have a feeling he'll get his powers back as soon as they return to Storybrooke..

stecciem

stecciem

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 17, 2013 @ 12:57 AM

Loved the Gold stuff; hated the Belle stuff.

Ruby, for a werewolf you sure aren't subtle.

I thought the parts with Jack were boring and unnecessary.

I agree with BelovedMaeve that I think they may be referring to the biblical David the Shepherd, but maybe they are setting it up that "Goliath" will turn out to be Cora instead. Or perhaps they are planning on introducing other biblical characters. Can you imagine Old Joe down the street who owns the second hand store and specializes in quirky outerwear?

Edited by stecciem, Feb 17, 2013 @ 1:02 AM.

Corydora

Corydora

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 17, 2013 @ 2:54 AM

There is no telling who and what they may bring in, stecciem. I just hope every single bad guy does not turn out to be Rumpelstiltskin.

Spectrum Bear

Spectrum Bear

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 17, 2013 @ 4:29 AM

Also there is no Cinnabon in Logan (I know because I would have been all over that!) so it was all about heavy handed product placement.

Come on, it was funny! Funnier than if Henry had said, "Look they have a generic pastry shop!" (Although that would have been funny too, in a kind of post-post-modern ironic hipster sort of way. But Henry's a mite young for that.)

I never liked Cinnabon, too many calories.

I never thought about it that way... when I was 10.

Vanilla Siren

Vanilla Siren

Fanatic

Posted Feb 17, 2013 @ 10:20 AM

I agree with BelovedMaeve that I think they may be referring to the biblical David the Shepherd, but maybe they are setting it up that "Goliath" will turn out to be Cora instead. Or perhaps they are planning on introducing other biblical characters.

The last time Disney did a really awesome twist on David and Goliath was ... well ... does anyone remember the cartoon "Gargoyles?"

*crickets*

No? Just me then? Alrighty ...

Well, for all the er ... -1 of you that know what I'm talking about, let me just say, that David was way cooler than this David.

I just hope every single bad guy does not turn out to be Rumpelstiltskin.

Oh me too. I love Rumple but he doesn't need to be in everyone's backstory. I kind of enjoyed him being the Beast even if this season's Rumbelle fell flat, but I thought him being the Crocodile was pushing it.

stealinghome

stealinghome

Stalker

Posted Feb 17, 2013 @ 11:09 AM

The last time Disney did a really awesome twist on David and Goliath was ... well ... does anyone remember the cartoon "Gargoyles?"
*crickets*
No? Just me then? Alrighty ...

Oh man, not just you. I LOVED that show when I was a kid! Still do--I...may or may not own the DVDs. The writers on this show should take notes, that was an intensely well-written show.

Oh me too. I love Rumple but he doesn't need to be in everyone's backstory. I kind of enjoyed him being the Beast even if this season's Rumbelle fell flat, but I thought him being the Crocodile was pushing it.

If they make wee little 5'7 RC Goliath, I will just laugh and laugh, and not in a good way. I doubt they will though--would mean Rumpel has to be defeated.

I don't think they're going to do anything with the actual Bible story, they just wanted to play on the shepherd-who-became-king association.

Vanilla Siren

Vanilla Siren

Fanatic

Posted Feb 17, 2013 @ 3:47 PM

Oh man, not just you. I LOVED that show when I was a kid! Still do--I...may or may not own the DVDs. The writers on this show should take notes, that was an intensely well-written show.

*High-fives* Indeed they should.

stecciem

stecciem

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 17, 2013 @ 9:37 PM

I just hope every single bad guy does not turn out to be Rumpelstiltskin.

Wordy McWord.

John Potts

John Potts

Fanatic

Posted Jul 4, 2013 @ 2:26 PM

Very much a filler episode - the only thing we really learned was how Jack died (which we kinda knew already) - although we did learn that "Jack" was actually "Jacqueline" (and yes, I can commiserate with all the ladies who resent the fact that the hot men all die, as I thought she was hot!). Although this Jack was even less "heroic" than the standard tale - I can't help remembering Terry Pratchett's comment (via Susan Sto Helit) that "...then Jack chopped down the beanstalk, thus adding environmental damage to his litany of murder and theft, thus proving that everything’s OK if you’re the hero.” Here, not only was she a thief but also a con woman who seemed quite able to get what she wanted (the magic beans) if only she'd waited and played the long game - but wanting it all now meant she died (let that be a lesson to you). And it's always nice to see our heroes actually acting heroically, where David offering to sacrifice himself to save the town (and even though it is the truth, I doubt anyone would be convinced by "No, that wasn't me it was my evil twin, and the only other human whose opinion you'd trust is out of town" even if we know it is in fact true).

Senna  Those were some really nice, intense Mr. Gold scenes at the airport. That was an excellent way to show his magic was gone; I wonder if his memories are fading too.

I thought they might be, but again, it's his own fault. If Bael is in NY, it'd be a long drive - but there would be no bag checks. Particularly when it's a safe bet there's no airport in Storybrooke, so they probably had a fairly lengthy drive anyway just to get to the airport.

Fable I thought they wanted her to get her memories back. I’m not really sure how she should have handled it, but I certainly don’t think she should have tried to make her think she had imagined it.

I couldn't believe that either. If their only concern was not allowing Greg Mendel to find out about, they could confine him to his room ("Your immune system is compromised, we need to keep you away from others..."). Red trying to convince Belle that she was imagining things would only make things worse (for her) and possibly convince her that she was being held by people out to trick her. Although I disagree with:

Actionmage Red is seemingly turning into a cliched townperson from any horror movie!

...since she hasn't denied there is a problem before going for a walk in the creepy woods to confront the bad guy without telling anyone where they were going (and then reassuring them she hadn't told anyone what she was doing).

Electric Boogalloo "Oh, by the way, we know it wasn't you," wouldn't you have some kind of reaction?

...which is why I assumed she was actually Cora (apparently I wasn't the only one).

legaleagle44

legaleagle44

Stalker

Posted Jul 4, 2013 @ 11:48 PM

Senna  Those were some really nice, intense Mr. Gold scenes at the airport. That was an excellent way to show his magic was gone; I wonder if his memories are fading too.

No, the purpose of the enchanted cloak was to prevent that.  What we were seeing was Mr. Gold's relief when he didn't lose his memories as a result of having to remove the cloak for a few minutes.  Had he actually started losing his memories, not even the cloak could have restored them once he put it back on, since the memory-wipe, once it occurred, couldn't be undone.

Ysu

Ysu

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 20, 2013 @ 8:33 AM

...which is why I assumed she was actually Cora (apparently I wasn't the only one).

I am very surprised and confused that the writers confirmed Regina was Regina in this episode. In all her 3 scenes she was channeling Cora, in the writing and in the acting as well. Maybe less so in the first one, there she seemed like Regina, but the writing didn't make sense with her asking "who would do that (frame me)?" or "why didn't you told me?" Otherwise Lana played her as "trying to be good" Regina from the earlier episodes. But in her other two scenes with Hook and Tiny, I saw Barbara's mannerisms in Lana's acting. She really tried to channel Cora, and as I see, many people got it. 

And next time we see Regina in Manhattan, she again seems a little broken, like in the previous episode. Which doesn't add up with her scene with Tiny. (That scene in Manhattan confirms that Regina talked to the Charmings, but that doesn't make it less off). 

Edited by Ysu, Nov 20, 2013 @ 8:34 AM.