Something Borrowed, Something New

• Please log in to reply

140 replies to this topic

ShaNaeNae

ShaNaeNae

Fanatic

Posted Feb 8, 2013 @ 2:58 PM

Tonight, premiering on TLC at 9pmE/8pmC.

From tlc.com:

"Something Borrowed, Something New" solves the bride's classic wedding dilemma: Does she wear a borrowed and beloved family heirloom, or does she buy a new dress that fits her own sense of style? Stylist Sam Saboura scours bridal salons for the perfect new dress, while designer Kelly Nishimoto reworks the family dress into a one-of-a-kind borrowed heirloom! In the end, the bride must choose between the two.

I thought it sounded like a good concept the first time I saw the commercial. So I've been eagerly awaiting this. When I got married almost 20 years ago, there was no way in hell I would have worn my mothers and it had nothing to do with my parents still not being married. She had a mini skirt wedding dress! I'm divorced now too and only had boys and mine was very 90's (of course at the time I thought it was timeless and would still look beautiful when my kids grew up) and can tell you the poofy sleeves (that were worn off the shoulders) just dated that gown. I actually sold it a few years ago in a garage sale.

So seeing this one bride walk out in her moms obvious 70's style dress with long sleeves and a high neck was too funny. Then her, "I can't do this dress, I'm already itching and sweating in this" was right on.

It'll also go with wedding Friday TLC has going on, with Four Weddings and Say Yes To The Dress.

scarlett45

scarlett45

Fanatic

Posted Feb 8, 2013 @ 3:12 PM

It looks like a fun show. Styles change so quickly these days I wouldn't expect a bride to want to wear a wedding dress her mother or grandmother wore. I do think a talented seamstress can take and older dress and either re-work it or incorporate it into a more modern design.

A friend of mine wants to turn her wedding dress into a Christening gown.

ShaNaeNae

ShaNaeNae

Fanatic

Posted Feb 8, 2013 @ 4:02 PM

That is an awesome and sentimental idea your friend has scarlett45.

I remember when I was younger, people were still saying, "I hope my daughter will wear this some day". I think as times and ideas have changed, weddings have changed drastically (I was suprised people have theme weddings nowadays. We just had wedding colors, and the colors were never out of the ordinary shades) and rules and sentiments have changed too. But I guess some of the baby boomer generation still hope that their daughters will wear that dress. Cause you know, they paid a lot! A whole $350 for that dress and it better be worn more than once!"

scarlett45

scarlett45

Fanatic

Posted Feb 8, 2013 @ 4:06 PM

I think the christening gown idea is a great one. She is pregnant with twins right now so the fabric will be used!!

Also, "marriage" has a concept has changed. Not everyone gets married or some people get married later in life. Asking a woman who's 40+ to wear something her Mom wore at 20 or so 50yrs ago is just not gonna fly! Although I think those 1950s tea length dresses are so cute, they would be great for a destination or a less formal wedding. Unfortunately for me, all my female relatives who were young women at that time (yes they still have those 1950s dresses stored in the basement) are 5-6inches shorter than me and teeny tiny to boot! Lol.

Edited by scarlett45, Feb 8, 2013 @ 4:07 PM.

Kathira

Kathira

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 8, 2013 @ 6:02 PM

From the commercials, it sounds like "Love It or List It" with wedding dresses? I wonder what they will do with the custom re-made dress if the bride chooses to buy new?

queenofsnark

queenofsnark

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 8, 2013 @ 9:26 PM

From the commercials, it sounds like "Love It or List It" with wedding dresses? I wonder what they will do with the custom re-made dress if the bride chooses to buy new? 

I was thinking the same thing, Kathira...lol

renobunny

renobunny

Just Tuned In

Posted Feb 9, 2013 @ 8:37 AM

My mother turned her wedding dress into our christening gown back in 1961. She said that in her circle it was commonly done. Funny thing is if I had ever married I would have worn her wedding dress in a heartbeat. It was a lovely chapel length lace dress with elbow length sleeves. Classic retro style which I always loved.

I saw the shows last night and enjoyed them. But isn't the designer Kelly that chick from SYTTD that bought that hideous metallic silver Pnina and ended up with her own special featuring her own over the top wedding?

CrumbyButtons

CrumbyButtons

Stalker

Posted Feb 9, 2013 @ 10:50 AM

I thought it was just okay. I really liked the mother and daughter in the first episode, they were sweet together. I find it hard to believe a dad would care if his daughter wore his wife's wedding dress. And because the new dress had so little to do with the original, I didn't see the point of caring if she chose it. It was the fabric, but a completely different dress. And how did Kelly get it white again?

MrsPBateman

MrsPBateman

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 9, 2013 @ 11:36 AM

In the first episode I did not like the dress she ended up with, I felt the one she passed up was perfect for her body. It hugged her in all the right places and was very flattering. The second just was there. It didn't do anything for her, I wonder if Sam had pulled that dress as a something new dress if it would have been shot down immediately but because it was her mothers she picked it.

ShaNaeNae

ShaNaeNae

Fanatic

Posted Feb 9, 2013 @ 1:26 PM

I think that was why she picked it-because it was her moms. Her mom looked like she was going to have a nervous breakdown if she didn't pick her dress. I don't think it looked good on her. She looked dowdy where the new one hugged her curves perfectly.

I feel sorry for some of these brides. The pressure is on them from mom (cheerleader mom waS pretty funny...tear sucked back up) and really, this is their big day. They should experience scouring through bridal magazines for the perfect dress and dress shopping.

I wonder what Sam was talking about when he says that when brides say they don't want a mermaid/fishtail that's the first ones he brings them to try on?

So that seamstress Kelly was on SYTTD? She's very talented and incredibly gorgeous.

stretchess

stretchess

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 9, 2013 @ 1:34 PM

I don't think Kelly was that bride from SYTTD. The silver Pnina bride was kind of a hot mess, and Kelly is quite well put together and has more delicate features.

My main problem with this show is that the mother's dresses are getting ruined and the bride may not even wear it!!! Yes, noone else will either, but there goes THAT dress. Pretty sad, in some ways. So far, the mother's dresses have not been multi-generation dresses, but if they start doing that... oh man. That will not please me to see great-Granny's dress ruined.

lu1wml

lu1wml

Fanatic

Posted Feb 9, 2013 @ 1:35 PM

The first mother's dress looked like a flower child, in yellow with blue.
The second one was ugly then, and ugly now.
However, if liked both the remade and the new one, I'd certainly go with the one that was $500 or $600 rather than one that was over a thousand.
It's one day, and not even a whole day.

lordonia

lordonia

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 9, 2013 @ 2:05 PM

I enjoyed watching but thought both brides picked the wrong dresses. Maricela looked tons better in the new gown and Jamie looked good in both but I thought her mom's repurposed dress had more oomph and interest.

Let's not kid ourselves, though -- these are in no way the same dresses. They may reuse bits of fabric and share a design reference or two, but that's it.

I floved Jamie's mom and her attitude: "I don't give a shit. Pick a dress you like and let's move on." Compared to so many of the dragon mothers we've seen on wedding shows, she just made me laugh. Jamie's dad was super sweet and loving, too! I was awwwwing at him the whole time.

MrsPBateman

MrsPBateman

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 9, 2013 @ 2:14 PM

I wonder what Sam was talking about when he says that when brides say they don't want a mermaid/fishtail that's the first ones he brings them to try on?

From what I've found from my experience with wedding dress shopping is if you go in saying the only dress I'll buy is a ballgown or whatever and refuse to try other things on the dress that you're stuck on is rarely the dress you buy. Plus a lot of the time it's the dress you would never imagine yourself in that turns out to be 'the dress'.

CrumbyButtons

CrumbyButtons

Stalker

Posted Feb 9, 2013 @ 2:32 PM

I feel sorry for some of these brides. The pressure is on them from mom (cheerleader mom waS pretty funny...tear sucked back up) and really, this is their big day. They should experience scouring through bridal magazines for the perfect dress and dress shopping.

My main problem with this show is that the mother's dresses are getting ruined and the bride may not even wear it

I can't feel sorry for anyone who chooses to go on tv rather than have the real life experience. If being on tv is more important to them, they've made their choice and (hopefully) have fun with that, instead of doing it the normal way. And the mom knows her dress will be ripped up, so she couldn't care that much about the dress itself.

Ketzel

Ketzel

Fanatic

Posted Feb 9, 2013 @ 8:51 PM

I thought that blue and taupe gown makeover was very unattractive on Marisola. It made her look saggy in the bosom, it took away her waistline and the color didn't flatter her complection at all. In the white corset dress, she looked young and elegant and sexy. In the remade dress, she looked ten years older, dumpy and barrel-shaped. And not bridal at all. When they had the dresses side by side on the manniquins, I thought the madeover dress looked like a nightgown compared to the white one.

Kathira

Kathira

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 9, 2013 @ 10:29 PM

I kept hoping that Maricela would say that she would use both dresses - wear her mother's for the ceremony and then the new one for the reception. They were so different in look and feel that it might have worked. Based on my viewing of wedding shows on TLC, plenty of brides wear two dresses these days. I also thought the remade dress would work well as a gown for a different formal occasion. Was she an opera singer? I'm sure she attands plenty of formal events where she could wear a non-white goddess gown and no one would think anything of it.

I also liked the other girl's mother and how pragmatic she was about her dress. Ironically, her dress looked a lot like mine, except I didn't have the lace bit around the neck. I had a sweetheart neckline and those same chiffon sleeves. Of course, it was 1982 and the full 80's look hadn't kicked in yet. There was a lot of 70's-ish style still around. I suppose with young brides, we will be in for a lot of 80's fashion from the moms.

Ivy Mom

Ivy Mom

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 11, 2013 @ 6:09 PM

I just gave my wedding dress (cheap even in 1988) away to Goodwill. I hope it has a second life as a zombie-bride dress some Halloween. But bad polyester and cheap machine made lace isn't likely to be anybody's 'dream dress'...heck, it wasn't even mine...no matter how talented a seamstress/designer someone might be. Besides, my engaged daughter is two inches taller, a whole different shape, and rather elegant (I think she was switched at birth). I kept the veil. It was a fairly standard style, still sold today, and is still white.

Marisola's choice was a disaster. It dipped too low in the front, was a bad color for her skin-tone, and the 'blue tail' looked like it got dipped in Tidy Bowl by accident. It also made her look chunky. I wanted them to take the blue belt from that dress and put it on the modern gown, a little homage to mom's but not that monstrosity.

The other girl (what was her name?) made the wiser choice, though the difference wasn't as dramatic. She looked very tall and lean in Sam's pick.

GeorgePBurdell

GeorgePBurdell

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 15, 2013 @ 11:01 PM

Okay, I'm no French-speaker, but when I got married, no one pronounced the lace on my dress like "Allen-son." Huh?

In the episode with the 100-year-old dress, it looked like some fabric or lace had been added to the straps before the ceremony. It didn't have that to begin with, did it?

ShaNaeNae

ShaNaeNae

Fanatic

Posted Feb 15, 2013 @ 11:02 PM

I'm starting to notice a theme. Parent is strong in their will for child to wear the gown. But, after seeing them in a new gown, they have a reprieve. "It's ok, whichever you choose". And speaking of new gown, when they show the bridge in side by side phots in the new gowns, they are the most unflattering pictures.

To me, this is the same amount of pressure as if daughter is having a baby. Mom, named Gladys Fanny, is standing next to laboring daughter in hospital room. "You don't have to, but I'm really hoping you name daughter Gladys Fanny after me! Again, you don't have to, but (blow nose from crying) it will make me the happiest grandma around. You can pick Gladys or just Fanny, either is fine, but I know you might want her to have her own name".

Naturally, Kelly and Sam will have a little rivalry, but I'm glad they don't make it take over the show. Sometimes they tend to do that on these kind of shows. But I feel a little bad for Kelly when the bride chooses the new one. She put a lot of blood, sweat and tears in making that dress. Sam just spent a day or two shopping.

I'm going to hell, but 2nd bride tonight was so homely. Nice figure, but, yikes.

I guess I just don't get it. To me, it's an article of clothing. Yes, it's a pretty, gorgeous article of clothing, but I don't remember having a crying moment and making a vacation out of dress shopping but that was almost 20 years ago. I saw it in a magazine, my mom and I ran over this lady's house who could order it cheaper and that was it. And I sold it in a garage sale a few years ago and I guess you could say it lasted longer than the marriage.

BennieHannah

BennieHannah

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 15, 2013 @ 11:59 PM

I've pretty much hated all the "borrowed" dresses, and I'm a gal who loves tradition. My daughter wore a dress to her Jr. prom that I wore and my cousin wore to our proms, a strapless ivory lace dress with a three-tiered skirt. We dunked it into in a bathtub of coral dye and took off the bottom tier to make it shorter, added some coral tulle to the underskirt and I made a wide sash of apple green silk. We had fun making it over and it looked great! But if it had turned out to be unflattering I would never have wanted her to wear it. (For her Sr. Prom, she wore a dress that was originally purchased by one of her "aunties" -- my group of best girlfriends since...forever -- for her daughter. So far four of the aunties' daughters have worn the dress, which is an ecru/blush lace and satin corset dress with a fit-and-flare skirt. We still have three girls to go, all a year apart from one another...and they are all excited about wearing THE dress!)

Needless to say, I wanted this show to work. But it doesn't. The made-over dresses look made over, dingy and sad. On ruffledblog and stylemepretty I've seen a couple of heirloom dresses that were modified for a modern bride, but those were top quality dresses, expertly stored, to begin with. I'd never want my daughter to look bad on her wedding day just for the sake of tradition. The one bride tonight that chose the "borrowed" looked like she was wearing a yellow satin pillowcase.

FinePoint

FinePoint

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 16, 2013 @ 12:21 AM

I saw the shows last night and enjoyed them. But isn't the designer Kelly that chick from SYTTD that bought that hideous metallic silver Pnina and ended up with her own special featuring her own over the top wedding?

I thought the same thing, because they look alike and dress alike and I remember the one on SYTTD had her own line of exercise bras she designed. So I did a quick search and it seems this one on Something Borrowed is a dress designer named Kelly Nishimoto, whereas the "avante garde" one on SYTTD was Kelly Dooley. But I must say they look VERY similar, and what's more they have each designed clothing and they have a really similar personal style.

PS - I have to say, I like this Kelly better now that I know she's not the same one on SYTTD!

Edited by FinePoint, Feb 16, 2013 @ 12:22 AM.

BoDiva

BoDiva

Fanatic

Posted Feb 16, 2013 @ 9:13 AM

Needless to say, I wanted this show to work. But it doesn't. The made-over dresses look made over, dingy and sad.

Kelly isn't a good enough seamstress for these to work. Even if the idea is good, it is so poorly executed, poorly fitted that it's a disaster. It looks like someone's first home ec project, not like a professional dressmaker/tailor made it. So this is off the Season Pass. Too bad. it's an interesting concept to me.

lordonia

lordonia

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 16, 2013 @ 10:16 AM

The one bride tonight that chose the "borrowed" looked like she was wearing a yellow satin pillowcase.

For real. Even allowing for differences in person vs seeing something through the TV, that was not a good silhouette for her.

Wasn't Kelly intending to keep some of the lace filagree pattern around the neckline of the 70s dress? The scoop neck on the end product looked folded over and poorly sewn.

For being custom measured, the revised gowns haven't fit the daughters all that well. But as Kelly said, she's often forced to work with cheap polyester and/or fabrics that have severely deteriorated. Not sure how much time she's given, either, although I imagine there are seamstresses we don't see who also help.

I was tired of my wedding dress taking up space and tossed it in the Goodwill box after a few years so am whatever the opposite is of these women who sob over their 30-year-old gowns. But it's interesting to watch.

Mpress Elle

Mpress Elle

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 16, 2013 @ 2:23 PM

Anyone know what kind of an incentive brides get for being on this show?

I've felt that some of the mama drama was for the cameras, but last night's 70's mom was definitely into the daughter(s) wearing her gown. And the fit was atrocious! So glad the bride went with new, but feel sorry for the other daughter who will now get twice the pressure to wear the made over dress.

chainey

chainey

Fanatic

Posted Feb 16, 2013 @ 5:16 PM

I think part of the problem with the vintage re-dos is they don't have the inside structure of the new gowns. That inside stuff really works magic in defining the waist and lifting the girls into proper bridal bosoms. The re-dos all look like the most casual backyard garden or public beach wedding because we're all so used to structure even in the cheapest new styles.

This show seemed like a match-up of things I like but I'm not wowed and am disappointed.

Ivy Mom

Ivy Mom

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 16, 2013 @ 6:55 PM

Though there's nothing off-putting about either Kelly or Sam, they aren't showing much personality. Randy managed to upgrade himself into the show 'host' and even his own program for a while. But I can't imagine either Sam or Kelly turning their appearances here into careers.

chickieloveknit

chickieloveknit

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 18, 2013 @ 8:26 AM

My question is, when the bride doesn't choose her Mother's redesigned gown, what happens to it? Does she still keep it? When the Mother's are so attached to the dress, it's stripped and cut down to be an unrecognizeable version of it's former self, and then the daughter doesn't pick it? I'd be pissed.

I thought the bride who had the 80's gown with the high lace neck was a dead ringer for Melissa Gilbert. I actually thought her re-do dress was a better choice than her new pick!

I loved, loved, loved, the bride and Mom with the 100 year old dress. That Mom was not pushy at all about the daughter wearing the dress. I didn't like the way the remade dress looked at all, but it seemed to fit the daughter's groovy, coffee shop, hippy attitude. I wasn't surprised that she chose it.

I could do without the shock value of cutting the dress right away when the daughter tries it on.

Psychobunny

Psychobunny

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 26, 2013 @ 12:17 AM

I thought Maricela should have worn the old dress for the rehearsal dinner. While it was pretty, it wasn't as nice as the new dress. The only old dress I thought should have been used was the 100 year old one. The material wasn't cheap polyester and it had already been worn by her great-grandmother and by her mother. In adddition, it was the only one where Kelly actually kept the basic silhouette of the dress rather than making an entirely new dress and using the old material for trim. I particularly liked the little sleeves it had at the wedding itself. It looked like a vintage turn of the century gown and her wedding was casual enough for it to fit the theme. Although, I have to say that that bride's new dress was also one of my favorites but I just have a real thing for true vintage gowns (as opposed to 1980's polyester).

jeplao

jeplao

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 2, 2013 @ 12:43 AM

This show has officially stretched the bounds of credibility with tonight's episode. Jasmine doesn't want to wear the 80s nightmare of a dress that someone in her family already used as a COSTUME, so of course she's going to pick the 80s nightmare of a dress that Kelly created.

I just...I can't. Is anyone else still watching this?