9-14: "The Face of Change" 2013.02.07

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

79 replies to this topic

bucconeer

bucconeer

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 12, 2013 @ 9:57 AM

I assume that Sofia would be the beneficiary to Mark's money, not Callie. She might have been Mark's proxy on behalf of Sofia but since she was never his spouse she herself would not get the money. I guess what I am ultimately getting at is, Callie would have to at the very least consult Arizona before "rallying the troops" because Arizona was the one that received the money and since Arizona is Sofia's other mother, which I assume legally, Callie technically only has 50% of input of where Sofia's $15 million goes (assuming she and Arizona could even uses Sofia's portion and again assuming that Sofia and whoever is Lexie's beneficiary received a settlement).

I don't think that Callie and Arizona are legally married in Washington State. Gay marriage wasn't legalized until December 2012, and they were "married" before then (AFAICT, they didn't leave WA to get married). And I don't think Arizona is a legal parent to Sofia for the same reason. So Callie is acting for Sofia, her minor child, as the benificiary of Mark's estate.

Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Stalker

Posted Feb 12, 2013 @ 2:57 PM

She might have been Mark's proxy on behalf of Sofia but since she was never his spouse she herself would not get the money.

That is what bugs me too. I mean Callie is what you would probably call a trustee for that money. I would love to see a scene like 18 years in the future where teen Sophia confronts her mom about the fact that she was awarded 15 million for her dad's death and before she could even touch the money her mom spent it to buy a crappy hospital.

There are hospitals valued in amounts over 100M and I think that there is no hospital running without issues. They are not entities which generate massive profits, most work in debit over time. They're hospitals!

The thing is I am not even sure you could build a new hospital in major city for 75 million.

Honestly I think if the crash people really wanted to fuck up the plans for pegasus to buy the hospital, they should just have Derek and Arizona quit at the worst possible minute. I mean the value of the hospital would totally be tied to the fact that the best neurosurgeon in the united states, and a top Peids surgeon work there. If they no longer work there, then there might be a lot less interested buyers.

Imonrey

Imonrey

Stalker

Posted Feb 12, 2013 @ 3:56 PM

Was April off work when she decided to ride along?

Yes, because she told {EMT guy} she had just finished a long shift where she had so little to do she was hoping someone would stroke out or something.

DeniseSB10468

DeniseSB10468

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 12, 2013 @ 4:55 PM

Unless Arizona has adopted Sofia, Callie has the sole LEGAL right to speak for how her share of the insurance payout is spent. But that share shouldn't be $15 million, it should be $7.5 million. Sloan Riley (a.k.a. Sloan Sloan) is also his daughter and has a legal right to half of the settlement.

If I were Sofia and SGMW turned out to be a black hole that absorbed all of my trust fund, I'd be pretty tempted to sue my parents for mishandling the funds as soon as I had legal standing to do so.

Long Days Night

Long Days Night

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 12, 2013 @ 9:40 PM

You know who really made out here? The lawyers who represented the crash victims. Don't lawyers in civil damages cases like that usually get about 40% of their clients' award? So the hospital took $105 million out of its bank accounts (assuming pilot's heirs, Lexie's heirs, Mark's heirs, Christina, Derek, Meredith, and Arizona all got $15M), and the lawyers pocketed $42 million off the front end. That leaves each of the seven victims/heirs with $9M each. Assuming that the pilot's family, Lexie's heirs and Mark's other daughter each choose not to buy into the hospital, the main characters have about $40 million left to buy the hospital that was busted by their payment of $105. So the hospital is much worse off than when it started, the victims get ownership shares in this ailing hospital instead of enjoying their millions, and the lawyers get to sit around enjoying their $42 million free and clear. Derek's plan about standing up for what's right and good seems to have boiled down to a lawyer enrichment scheme and little else.

On a separate subject: when Richard and Callie found out that the "face of the hospital" from the Portland Pegasus center had been turned into a male model who no longer practiced medicine, I wondered why they were looking at Alex and Jackson, both of whom seem like they are developing into valuable assets as practicing surgeons. So when I saw Derek's face on the door at the end of the episode, I took it as the Pegasus way of getting Derek out of the O.R., so they wouldn't have to carry the legal liability of letting a guy do brain surgery who might or might not have really gotten back full use of his badly damaged hand.

Deanie87

Deanie87

Fanatic

Posted Feb 12, 2013 @ 9:52 PM

What I don't understand is why a PR company would pick someone who sued the hospital to be the face of that hospital. I admit to skipping much of the lawsuit stuff, so am I missing something?

SettleKettle

SettleKettle

Just Tuned In

Posted Feb 12, 2013 @ 11:17 PM

Does anyone know at what hospital the exterior shot of 'Portland General' was filmed? I caught part of an episode of 'Reba' a little while ago (the one where she ends up in the hospital with high blood pressure). The shot of the hospital's exterior was virtually identical to the one from 'Grey's Anatomy' last night.

Delurking to say that it's Saint Vincent's hospital in Portland. IIRC, it was also the exterior shot in an episode of Homeland. My work here is done. Ta ting!

interpolartube

interpolartube

Just Tuned In

Posted Feb 13, 2013 @ 12:00 AM

This. Her snotty comments make her seem like a bitter, jealous bitch. Victim-blaming at its finest. I can understand one comment in a heated moment, but this is not the first passive-aggressive remark she's made in that vein.

The larger issue with Bailey and many other characters (especially in earlier seasons) is how they are always complaining about how broke they are. They're always having to find two or three roommates because they just can't afford rent, laying around the house eating store brand lucky charms out of the box because milk is too much of a luxury, or Callie is getting all pissy and ordering salad that time because she couldn't afford half of a $75 dinner check (Despite being financially supported by her dad until the day before and basically having her entire salary as disposable income and living in the supply closet rent free for a stretch). I know doctors don't all make Shepherd's millions, but I have a hard time believing that a 5th year surgical resident would have the budget of a grocery store clerk. BULLSHIT! It's not just one or two occasions, but it's mentioned ALL THE TIME throughout the whole series. Why would any average viewer buy that kind of crap, let alone actually sympathize for the poor broke SURGEONS who just can't catch a break. If you wanna sell me on the long hours, social awkwardness or lack of a life outside the hospital, I can get behind that, but stop trying to tell me that Alex will have to sleep in his car if he can't move into Mer's house because he can't afford rent anywhere. I say again: BULLSHIT!

Sorry, I've been wanting to bitch about this subject for ages. If I don't stop myself now, I might just have to sneeze on my doctor the next time I see him just on general principal.

zenyatta

zenyatta

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 13, 2013 @ 12:34 AM

What I don't understand is why a PR company would pick someone who sued the hospital to be the face of that hospital. I admit to skipping much of the lawsuit stuff, so am I missing something?

They probably wouldn't. Add to that why would someone who just sued the hospital agree to be the face? Its ridiculous from both sides.

Lilybee

Lilybee

Fanatic

Posted Feb 13, 2013 @ 2:32 AM

I believe that Mer is Lexi's only heir since both her parents are dead.

I don't really mind the interns after all a show that has been on as long as GA would have a major turnover and there should be new faces but I do wish that most of them were a bit more interesting.

I loved Callie and Richard checking out that hospital ran by Pegasus and I understand their concerns. A mega hospital corporation took over one of the two hospitals in my town and there have been so many problems there. For example, they refused to take the most popular insurance in the area, they did do many unnecessary tests, procedures and surgeries and they got into trouble for diagnosing some patients with third world illnesses. Since GA lives in an imaginary world, I am all for those who received their settlements trying to buy the hospital.

LakeLover

LakeLover

Fanatic

Posted Feb 13, 2013 @ 6:49 AM

Lexie has a father, another sister, and a niece who are alive.

Frankie5Angels

Frankie5Angels

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 13, 2013 @ 10:54 AM

Lexie's father is alive. If Lexie died intestate, he would be her sole heir because he's her next of kin.

WindSprints

WindSprints

Stalker

Posted Feb 13, 2013 @ 11:25 AM

Maybe Lexie had a will naming Meredith as her beneficiary.

Long Days Night

Long Days Night

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 14, 2013 @ 11:49 AM

Young unmarried people with no kids and limited assets almost never go to the trouble and expense of having a will - but even assuming she did, why would she write out her other sister and nieces/nephews (I don't remember the genders of the other sister's children). Lexie grew closer to Mer over the last few years, but grew up with that other sister and was shown to be very, very close to her back when the show acknowledged that she existed.

thewhiteowl

thewhiteowl

Fanatic

Posted Feb 14, 2013 @ 11:51 AM

"Open the pod bay doors, HAL." Best line of the season and SO's deadpan delivery was perfection!

WindSprints

WindSprints

Stalker

Posted Feb 14, 2013 @ 2:14 PM

Young unmarried people with no kids and limited assets almost never go to the trouble and expense of having a will - but even assuming she did, why would she write out her other sister and nieces/nephews (I don't remember the genders of the other sister's children). Lexie grew closer to Mer over the last few years, but grew up with that other sister and was shown to be very, very close to her back when the show acknowledged that she existed.

Lexie had been through a mass shooting where co-workers (also young people) died and her brother in law was shot and almost killed so I think its plausible that she could have had a will. She probably had life insurance through her employer and would have designated a beneficiary there too. I'm with you about Molly but the show ignores that she existed. IIRC even when dying Lexie only mentioned Meredith, the sister that barely acknowledged her. With all the stupidity with the crash storyline Meredith being Lexie's beneficiary isn't really a problem for me to accept. There's so many other things that overshadow it by a mile (for me).

"Open the pod bay doors, HAL." Best line of the season and SO's deadpan delivery was perfection!

Ha, I missed that the first time and went back to listen. SO's delivery often makes the scene for me.

Clairelle876

Clairelle876

Loyal Viewer

• Interests:GA, Calzona, SVU.

Posted Feb 14, 2013 @ 2:14 PM

Bailey seems to have alot of resentment towards the crash victims... At first she was sensitive towards them, in the first few episodes but since the lawsuit she's done a complete 360.

Just a random thought... What happens after the hospital is saved?... Do you guys think they will acknowledge it? Ignore it? Just keep it curt and professional in their interactions? (Bailey and the victims that is) IDK, maybe its not a big enough deal to give thought but after being snarked out by her like that i would imagine it creating some form of a rift or divide between them.

gymrat60

gymrat60

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 14, 2013 @ 2:34 PM

How can they be rich? Last I saw they were not getting paid becaused the hospital did not have the money to pay them and the insurance company refused. Did I miss an episode?

(((I think most people had figured out that the newly-rich doctors were going to try to buy the hospital, so that was no surprise.))))))))))))))

cycworker

cycworker

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 14, 2013 @ 3:26 PM

How can they be rich? Last I saw they were not getting paid becaused the hospital did not have the money to pay them and the insurance company refused. Did I miss an episode?

The board chair told Owen they do have the money... but it will use up the hospital's reserve funds. That's why they'd be broke. It's the final scene of 9x11

annlaw78

annlaw78

Fanatic

Posted Feb 16, 2013 @ 9:43 AM

Whoops, wrong thread, sorry!

Edited by annlaw78, Feb 16, 2013 @ 9:51 AM.