9-14: "The Face of Change" 2013.02.07

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

79 replies to this topic

lovlylizzy

lovlylizzy

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 7, 2013 @ 10:03 PM

THE HOSPITAL SEARCHES FOR A NEW BRAND AMBASSADOR, ON ABC'S "GREY's ANATOMY"

"The Face of Change" - Competition heats up as several of the doctors fight to become the new face of Seattle Grace; April brings in an emergency case, and Jackson and Alex work with a transgender teen couple. Meanwhile, the hospital implements new policies which test the patience of the staff, on "Grey's Anatomy," THURSDAY, FEBURARY 7 (9:00-10:02 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network.

"Grey's Anatomy" stars Ellen Pompeo as Meredith Grey, Patrick Dempsey as Derek Shepherd, Sandra Oh as Cristina Yang, Justin Chambers as Alex Karev, Chandra Wilson as Miranda Bailey, James Pickens, Jr. as Richard Webber, Sara Ramirez as Callie Torres, Kevin McKidd as Owen Hunt, Jessica Capshaw as Arizona Robbins, Jesse Williams as Jackson Avery and Sarah Drew as April Kepner.

Okay, I am a little excited that I totally called it in the spoiler thread. This episode was better than I expected, mostly Callie and the chief saved it for me.

Sunshine55

Sunshine55

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 7, 2013 @ 10:07 PM

Surprisingly, I enjoyed this episode, although the whole time I was thinking of how implausible it all was. I know -- I should be accustomed to implausibility in ShondaLand, but I thought almost every storyline was a little off-kilter.
The Alex-Jo pairing is growing on me, as much as I hate to admit it. I'm glad they're giving it a slow buildup, though, and that they didn't end the donut scene with a kiss. And any episode that gives Alex ample screen time can't be all bad, IMO.
Callie and Julio Plantain were pretty funny together, I thought, but James Pickens Jr always does a great job with the comic scenes anyway.
And everyone's been predicting that the survivors will try to buy the hospital, so that was no shock. It will be interesting to see where that takes them.

Clairelle876

Clairelle876

Loyal Viewer

• Interests:GA, Calzona, SVU.

Posted Feb 7, 2013 @ 10:08 PM

This episode was SO GOOD! Loved it! Cant wait for next week.

hannahfran

hannahfran

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 7, 2013 @ 10:12 PM

Loved Callie and Webber, they need to have more scenes together

This Alex and Jo thing I'm still not sure, I mean I can understand why they would work, but then again it seems a little forced, anyways whatever!

Doctors going rouge awesome that was an intense scene.

I think Kepner is a rockstar she keeps getting better and better each episode and her last scene with Matthew was beautiful. Finally someone that tells her how he feels, words are important, it's not all about sex which I think was a huge problem with Jackson and April. All they did was boink, I mean Jackson never even expressed his true feelings for her.

I do believe that they are still endgame but really liking this Matt guy is just what she needs, finally someone that sees her as a strong and beautiful woman and appreciates her. I don't think she has ever heard that before.

Edited by hannahfran, Feb 7, 2013 @ 10:19 PM.

Bleeding Love

Bleeding Love

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 7, 2013 @ 10:19 PM

Mark was her daughter's father and Arizona lost her leg in the crash, but I don't understand why Callie inserted herself into the plane crash inner circle from day one and why she's appointing herself leader and calling meetings telling the others they need to buy the hospital. The story heading in this direction was obvious, but I think I'd like it better if one of the actual survivors came up with the idea.

(It's not that I discount Callie's pain, but she wasn't there!)

twinmom

twinmom

Fanatic

Posted Feb 7, 2013 @ 10:33 PM

Callie might be Mark's power of attorney and speaks for his share.

harkiv

harkiv

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 7, 2013 @ 10:54 PM

No episode would've been better than that.

Artsda

Artsda

Fanatic

Posted Feb 7, 2013 @ 10:59 PM

I'm really tired of the entire plane crash aftermath being about Callie and what she wants compared to the others who were actually there.

Sunny Kerr

Sunny Kerr

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 7, 2013 @ 11:04 PM

It's official. Callie has become Izzie.

I don't know when it happened, because I haven't been watching closely, but she's Izzie now.

She knows what's best for everyone else. She unites them to do the right thing. She's the one who sees through other people's secret pain. She's even sleeping with a ghost... well, someone with ghost pain in their amputated limb, but that's close enough for me.

Seriously. I thought the show had gotten rid of that self-righteous energy.

MGTex

MGTex

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 7, 2013 @ 11:17 PM

April and Matthew the EMT. Check.

Callie and Jose Plantain. Cute.

Alex and Jo. Promising.

Brian and Jess (transgender teens). Heartbreaking.

Mer and technology. Puhleeze.

Webber and early retirement? No thank you.

Der on the door? Ick.

tiniwit

tiniwit

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 7, 2013 @ 11:20 PM

It actually pained me to sit through this episode. As much as I love Alex, he, Jo, Avery, and Stephanie aren't interesting enough to command as much screen time as they had tonight. Neither is the stupid lawsuit storyline that won't die.

Clairelle876

Clairelle876

Loyal Viewer

• Interests:GA, Calzona, SVU.

Posted Feb 7, 2013 @ 11:23 PM

I don't see Callie as an outsider to that 'inner circle'. She's been there with and for them every step of the way; being nothing but supportive and helpful... and genuine. She may not have been in the accident but she shares their pain and has reason to. She gives them perspective and keeps them grounded IMO.

Her rallying up the troops was expected. It's just her character. She's a go-getter, always the one to take a stand and really really fights for what she wants and what she believes in; Bailey smack-down or not, crash victim or not. Callie always crosses the line. Lol. That's just Callie. So even if she wasn't married to Arizona or wasn't best friends with Mark i'd still expect her to take it upon herself to try and do something. Plus she saw first hand what would become of their hospital if nothing was done. I'm sure none of the crew want to be posing with chicken breasts for the rest of their careers so it's for their own good too. She always crosses the line and yes she's always pushing them, but never without good reason.

Frankie5Angels

Frankie5Angels

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 7, 2013 @ 11:36 PM

This episode was totally inane. I can't stand Jackson anymore. He's just an arrogant and less charming Mark knockoff. I can't stand or buy his pairing with Stephanie. I can't stand Alex with Jo. He's acting like an idiot and a child.

This lawsuit thing is draining my love of Callie. It is making her character insufferable again. It would be wonderful to see her being a wife and mom rather than this "rally-round-the troops character." She was so much better at the beginning of the season and has gone off track again.

So, when they buy the hospital does this mean the show will become about hospital administration and how these people have no time to be doctors because they'll be busy running a hospital, something for which none of them are trained to do at all? Will the lawsuit storyline end only for the "fish out of water hospital administrators" storyline to begin? What the fuck are they going to do once they buy the hospital? Is it going to run itself? Are they going to just throw away all their money for nothing by letting the hospital function at a loss? That means they will have gotten absolutely nothing in compensation for their suffering but a hospital. This is so stupid.

BooksRule

BooksRule

Fanatic

Posted Feb 7, 2013 @ 11:36 PM

She's even sleeping with a ghost... well, someone with ghost pain in their amputated limb, but that's close enough for me.

I'm sorry, but that made me laugh!

I liked the episode okay. But where was the hit and run kid's family? Was he a John Doe? Shouldn't there have been a mom or dad causing trouble in the waiting room or something?

I think most people had figured out that the newly-rich doctors were going to try to buy the hospital, so that was no surprise.

Loved the big giant smiling McDreamy in the elevator! Of course he's the face of the hospital (or whatever the slogan was supposed to be).

ChicksDigScars

ChicksDigScars

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 7, 2013 @ 11:46 PM

Seriously. It's obvious that Scandal is Shonda's favorite toy now, and Grey's is getting the shit end of the stick. And by shit, I mostly mean Cahill. Is there a bomb in a body cavity somewhere that she can hold onto?

NYluv

NYluv

Fanatic

Posted Feb 8, 2013 @ 12:02 AM

Callie and Richard and "The Plantains" was pretty freaking funny. And I suppose that the earlier focus on Callie wanting the money from the lawsuit has now kind of come full-circle with her being the one to bring up buying the hospital back. It doesn't bother me as much as it seems to bother others.
For someone who was not involved in the crash, she has been all over the place with the entire lawsuit. Naturally, she'd a part of the conversation being Mark's proxy, but if Cristina can't even be bothered to be around some of these "important" conversations, it does shine a weird light as to why Callie seems to be the one spearheading these things. I'm chalking it up to it being Shonda's way to have her iinvolvement in this all tied together. Though it is kind of odd that her wife - who happened to have lost her leg in said crash - is the victim that's mostly MIA from anything having to do with any of this.

I had to laugh at the notion that Jackson or Alex would be the face of the hospital over Derek. I mean, come on people. It's Derek. Had Mark survived it would have been a competition between the two of them, not two fellows. I did like how Alex narrated this ep. I did not like all of the Jo'ness. (BOO to Jo/Alex - there's not a damn thing anyone can do to stop it. blerg)

Edited by NYluv, Feb 8, 2013 @ 1:10 AM.

AnitaMC86

AnitaMC86

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 8, 2013 @ 12:17 AM

Ay ay ay. What is this mess? I felt that this episode would have been have most of the originals were gone. I didn't like it. The promo was a lot better than the whole episode.

I really can't stand Jo. I really can't. And I hate even more that the seed has been planted with Alex. No.

Avery can suck it. Another no.

April's new love interest story...*crickets*

I found Richard's face hilarious when the elevator doors closed and saw Derek's face, when he wanted to do that exact thing a few seasons ago. Gotta LOL.

And as predicted, they will attempt to buy the hospital. It's not even fun to guess anymore.

Do better next week GA.

Edited by AnitaMC86, Feb 8, 2013 @ 12:21 AM.

cycworker

cycworker

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 8, 2013 @ 3:41 AM

This episode was pretty good. Not super great, but pretty good.

I am at the point where I prefer April with the EMT. I can't stand Jackson. The consequence of that is that I can't stand Stephanie I'm praying Jackson leaves, and at this point he can take Steph with him, which sucks, because I actually like the actress and Stephanie was one of the interns I liked. Having said all that, none of them have enough chemistry to warrant a quadrangle. Sarah Drew has proven herself to be a really good actress. April has totally developed rooting value in my eyes. But the other 3 characters are so bland that I just can't invest in them.

How dare Alex and Jo have a scene involving donuts! As a Callie and Arizona fan, I was offended. Oh well, at least their donuts were more celebratory than comfort/grief based. LOL. But seriously... they are definitely growing on me. Camilla Luddington seems to be growing more comfortable in the role and Jo is becoming much less annoying. Also, Justin Chambers is lookin' fine all of a sudden.

Sara Ramirez was hilarious today. JPJ was right there with her, I admit. That whole thing was wonderful. I give them props for not doing the expected and pairing Callie or Richard off with someone more expected. You'd think that it would've been Callie/Arizona heading out together, or Webber and Bailey. I like it when shows put people together in unexpected ways. And yay for a reference to Callie's research. Nice bit of hearkening back to the past - if you forgot that Richard used to be her boss, it was a nice reminder.

I liked seeing all the different sides of Callie tonight and I can totally see where she could slide into a lead spot if there were a Season 11 and either EP or SO left. When they tried in Season 7, the baby story was just so abysmal that it turned me off Callie and it nearly turned me off the actress. I absolutely understand why Callie is so wrapped up in this. As another poster noted, her actions tonight made lots of sense.

I like the 'hospital in jeopardy' story. I felt the tension of them bringing in the patient. I felt the frustration, in the end, from both Karev and Jackson, due to being followed around all day. That said, it all felt like it ran too long/took too much time. It doesn't help that I am STILL not liking Constance Zimmer as Cahill. Just do not see the appeal of this actress. Couple that with the fact that I know the hopsital is going to be saved and I am frustrated by a lack of Calzona time and I was starting to get irritated tonight.

lurker22

lurker22

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 8, 2013 @ 5:40 AM

Boring episode. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Happy Harpy

Happy Harpy

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 8, 2013 @ 6:28 AM

I enjoyed this episode very, very much. Quick pace, funny moments, touching moments.

I don't know when it happened, because I haven't been watching closely, but she's Izzie now.

Ah, I thought the same thing when she did her speech with the survivors. How ironic. Callie nevertheless has something that I've never seen in Izzie, she's self-deprecating. So I still like her.

I do love Alex and Jo. I, too, think that C.Luddington has grown comfortable in her role and she and J.Chambers have grown comfortable playing each other.
For the second time in a row, Jo did something for Alex. Even as insignificant as offering stolen donuts. She makes him laugh. She supports him, and more important, she thinks of him and includes him (when he was so often the fifth wheel). I know that, like every other relationship on this show, this one will certainly be ruined. But for now, I enjoy it a lot. And I grow to like Jo as a character. And she's right: Alex ruled in this episode (and voiceover! yeah!).

I really appreciated the scenes with the interns and residents cooperating to save that kid,and Derek helping and covering for them. Nice team work, everybody had his/her moment to shine (even as comic relief). April is improving...Her new guy seems fine (and for once Stephanie was competitive without getting on my nerves) but I'd like to see an emotionally grown-up April and Jackson try again, along the way. I hope that at least, April calling Jackson first about the child is a first step for them to be friends again.

Now, bitching time. Can Cahill be gone yesterday? I know that I'm going to be served that she has a heart of gold, and it's so not going to work with me.
And two seconds of Bailey, but what seconds. "You've done enough", WTF! Done enough what? Lose a sister, a leg, a best friend, a father of their child, almost their life ? That was more than uncalled for, that was indecent. She was always harsh and not always fair, but kick-ass and likeable (or at least, you saw where she came from). Where's that Bailey? Because I want this new one to move away with her husband.

sienna gold

sienna gold

Fanatic

Posted Feb 8, 2013 @ 8:46 AM

What I don't understand....
Is why they just don't give the money... back.

Like if they want to buy the hospital, give the money back to the hospital, and everything will be okay. This way they don't run anything, and there is no money issue. (And where are the people who "owned" the hospital before? Do people own hospitals in the US? This little nugget is confusing me no end).

And quite frankly, why does it matter if they closed the ER then opened it? It makes it sound like it's super duper illegal, well, no, not really, Cahill is all "NO! we can't have the ER opened and she pouted. Unless it IS illegal? Again, it's this stuff I can't wrap my head around).

Plantains... awesome.

Also... it seemed to me like the hospital with the Ipads to make it efficient was a big waste of time if people don't know how to use them, why not stick with regular charts etc?

The show itself was... kind of okay. I missed Derek as the Face of the Hospital thing.

lemon

lemon

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 8, 2013 @ 9:17 AM

This episode was much more enjoyable for me than the last few.

Alex got the narration. Note to Shonda: that doesn't make an episode Alex-centric. I cracked up at Alex trying to smile for the camera. I also liked that he marched right in and confessed to helping the little boy. He's come a long way from early seasons' Alex.

I'm really starting to like Alex and Jo. The donut scene was nice. I hope they continue to take their relationship slow.

When Jackson and April were hooking up I liked Jackson and loathed April. Now, I'm liking April and loathing Jackson. April and the EMT won't last but for now it's kind of nice to see someone dating and not just jumping into bed with the nearest doctor or intern.

I can't stand Callie but the Callie and Richard scenes were enjoyable.

The intern running into the door made me laugh.

That group of doctors buying the hospital sounds like hell but if it makes Cahill go away, whatever.

Edited by lemon, Feb 8, 2013 @ 9:21 AM.

Deanie87

Deanie87

Fanatic

Posted Feb 8, 2013 @ 9:32 AM

For the second time in a row, Jo did something for Alex.

And this for me is the fundamental difference between Izzie and Jo. Jo pro-actively does nice things for Alex, while Izzie allowed Alex to do nice things for her. (To be fair, though, Jo is getting an "easier" version of Alex than Izzie did.) The howling scene was beyond stupid, but I thought that the doughnut scene was really cute and I'm glad that they didn't kiss. I like where they are as friends with the promise of more. Not crazy that Alex had to get Meredith's seal of approval first, but whatever, at least those two had a good scene together.

I thought that this was a pretty good episode, which isn't surprising considering it was a somewhat Alex-centric one. Could have used lots less of Avery/April etc. But I enjoyed the scene where all the doctors worked together to save the patient in the closed down ER and liked the locker room scene at the beginning. Loved Cristina's "stuff her turkey" with corresponding fist motion!) And, of course, I loved the voiceover!

Random thoughts:

* I wasn't watching really closely the whole time, can Callie and Richard just leave the hospital in the middle of a workday to wander around Seattle's other hospitals?

* The EMT reminds me of a younger Justin Chambers, but not in a good way, if that makes sense.

* Can I say that the one transgender teen looked like he belonged on the set of Bosom Buddies? Is that bad? I did like how matter of fact Alex and Avery were with them and no snide jokes and Alex allowed himself to be pushed up against the wall and didn't fight back....yay for growth!

*Richard can't retire! My prediction is that Owen is out as Chief/Administrator and Richard is back in. What Owen will do now besides pleasure Cristina is anyone's guess, however.

Edited by Deanie87, Feb 8, 2013 @ 9:34 AM.

proserpina65

proserpina65

Fanatic

Posted Feb 8, 2013 @ 9:47 AM

Der on the door? Ick.

My boss is a huge Baltimore Ravens fan and has pictures of Ray Lewis all over our office right now, including one with his tongue sticking out taped up on the ceiling. And THAT is less creepy than the giant Derek photo on the elevator doors.

Chicken Wing

Chicken Wing

Fanatic

Posted Feb 8, 2013 @ 9:48 AM

I know, I know, Callie is involved in this crash/lawsuit situation too. It affects her too. But girl is getting on my nerves with this ringleader act. Make it stop. However, can we pair her and Webber together in every episode from now on? Or better yet, let's cancel this show and replace it with The Adventures of the Plantains.

Sunshine55

Sunshine55

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 8, 2013 @ 9:52 AM

When Webber got in the elevator and saw Derek's face on the doors, my first thought was that he was imagining it after being in the Pegasus hospital with all of its "branding." I guess it makes sense to make Derek the face, but I'd love for it to have been Alex (although he did seem to have a hard time with posing for the camera).

LakeLover

LakeLover

Fanatic

Posted Feb 8, 2013 @ 10:08 AM

My boss is a huge Baltimore Ravens fan and has pictures of Ray Lewis all over our office right now, including one with his tongue sticking out taped up on the ceiling. And THAT is less creepy than the giant Derek photo on the elevator doors.

I ADORED the giant Derek face. It was perfect - the guy who is screwing the most with Cahill's plans - oh, yes. Move over, pretty boy Alex and Avery. We laughed out loud when the elevator doors closed (and it's an elevator, naturally). The thing we liked most of all about the "face" is the real-life former male model (JC) probably had to work hard to look less than attractive to the camera, since he's so gorgeous and a natural otherwise :)

I continue to love Meredith and Derek's interactions (small that they may be, since we have to see Avery sucking face with what's her name, and April's budding romance with EMT guy) mostly because the trust they have in each other is wonderful, and I like the lack of contrived drama. I'm sure that's coming in the form of baby drama later. I'm wondering if there's no real drama but if the baby has Down Syndrome or something like that, which frankly, would be an interesting twist - two brilliant surgeons with their budding brilliant Zola and the challenges and triumphs of having a baby with Down Syndrome. Sorry, my mind wandered.

I am so not into Alex and Jo. As much as I love Alex, I hate to see him dragged down into this sub-par relationship - she acts like she's a teenager, and the animal call scene was sophomoric. Why oh why can't he find a woman worthy of his awesomeness? Jo's not it. Oh, and Alex was sweet with his concern about Meredith not overexerting herself due to her pregnancy. I love their relationship.

Bailey and her snark still annoy me.

As much as Callie annoys me, I did get a chuckle out of the Plantains.

I suppose Cristina and Owen are in suspended animation waiting for the outcome of KMcK's contract negotiations, much like last year's open-ended story lines with most of the original main cast. He bugs me less and less, possibly because I'm more annoyed with the likes of Jo, April, and all of the interns except for Ross.

Overall, the episode was okay.

Worldyfan

Worldyfan

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 8, 2013 @ 11:00 AM

I like Alex and Jo. I think they've each found a kindred soul - someone with a harsh childhood, who maybe didn't get to be goofy enough then - and maybe they can cut loose and be goofy with each other in a way they can't with anyone else. Alex seems to be losing some of his dourness, and that can't be bad. And they're total grownups on the job.

shemaree

shemaree

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 8, 2013 @ 11:12 AM

I thought this episode was pretty good. I was really engaged when they were trying to save the young boy. Grey's is known to bring tears, so I thought that the boy wouldn't make it and it would cause a boatload of other problems.

Someone made a good point about the boy's parents. Where were they? What about the hospital 1hr away that was supposed to receive the boy? What will they tell the boy's parents when they find out their child was treated in an non-operational ER? lol

Another good point was made about them giving their money back. Makes more sense than trying to run a hospital themselves.

I wish they would focus more on patient issues again. I think it's more interesting than who's dating who, and the boring hospital shutting down drama.

Yellow42758

Yellow42758

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 8, 2013 @ 11:24 AM

Hit and miss for me. Will probably need to re-watch.

Loved all of the Alex stuff. And as much as I hate to admit it, Jo could work with him. Like that they're taking it slow... hope that they continue to do so, but I smell something happening around episode 16. Kitchen scene was awful, but the rest was fine. TENTATIVE HIT.

April has grown on me, but April's EMT has no personality and seems like a placeholder until she gets with Jackson. Whatever. Yawn. MISS.

Cahill is really... undefined. Wish the characterization was more dynamic... both on the page and on the screen. MISS.

Didn't mind little Arizona or little Bailey. But I did mind that there was WAY TOO little Meredith. If I was a casual viewer just tuning into this season for the first time, I would not know that Meredith is the star. I would assume it was Callie. She has gotten so much stuff to do this season! Love the actress and the character, but wow! HIT for Callie/Bailey/Arizona, MISS for underused Meredith.

Derek was likable this week. (Nobody was unlikable this week.) HIT.

Oh. The transgender story was cliched and the worst part of the episode. MISS.

Interesting implications of Richard considering leaving. Left me with a question mark, though we know the actor is signed for a tenth season.

Looking forward to next week.

ETA:

I suppose Cristina and Owen are in suspended animation waiting for the outcome of KMcK's contract negotiations, much like last year's open-ended story lines with most of the original main cast. He bugs me less and less, possibly because I'm more annoyed with the likes of Jo, April, and all of the interns except for Ross.

Where has it been reported that he is in negotiations? I remember that he was vague when asked on Twitter about returning for the tenth season, but I assumed that was the usual tight-lipped line.

Edited by Yellow42758, Feb 8, 2013 @ 11:31 AM.