9-15: "Couples Discount" 2013.02.07

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

68 replies to this topic

Jedi Nut

Jedi Nut

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 9, 2013 @ 2:30 AM

Dwight becoming a manager would provide a good bit of closing symmetry with the UK series, where Gareth succeeded David as manager at Wernham Hogg. It was for this reason that I assumed Dwight would get the job earlier, after Michael left.

I did enjoy how Andy united the entire office - Dwight included - in despising him. Watching everybody actually follow Dwight's lead in feeding Andy false info (with smiles on their faces) was very satisfying.

Petunia13

Petunia13

Fanatic

Posted Feb 9, 2013 @ 12:01 PM

That's not really a credit towards Dwight. Anyone would resent him. But I did enjoy the group meeting where they discussed who would narc on him.

HyeChaps

HyeChaps

Fanatic

Posted Feb 9, 2013 @ 1:58 PM

They've been building a story that Dwight is quite the capable manager. If Jim stays, he could be assistant [s]to the[/s] manager.

FreakyBunny

FreakyBunny

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 9, 2013 @ 5:26 PM

Based on what I saw in this ep, Dwight would make the best manager. They remain profitable while he is given free reign over sales. Somehow they manage quite well when Dwight is free to operate as he will. As long as he doesn't shoot anyone in the process.

ChipBach

ChipBach

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 9, 2013 @ 5:45 PM

I did enjoy how Andy united the entire office - Dwight included - in despising him. Watching everybody actually follow Dwight's lead in feeding Andy false info (with smiles on their faces) was very satisfying.

I thought it was a missed opportunity to be really clever. I thought the "fire" was pretty week, especially if Andy ran down the hall to see what happened. It was awful hard to watch Andy take that bonus check!

I also thought the demonizing of Andy is pretty weak. He started off as a blowhard dofus of a character, then he was a work place violence threat/nut-bag, then a cuckolded incredibly naive dude, then are really good, sweet character, now a complete dick. It makes little sense.

It seems like every actor is really... tired... They seem to be running through the paces.

Edited by ChipBach, Feb 9, 2013 @ 5:46 PM.

MethodActor05

MethodActor05

Stalker

Posted Feb 10, 2013 @ 4:08 AM

I really enjoyed Andy singing the theme song to "New Girl". It really does stick in your mind.

I'm actually liking the Brian storyline. I've enjoyed that actor for years.

Pete looks even more attractive with the shorter hair. And I'm glad that Erin finally dumped Andy!

I think Andy never worked as Michael Scott because in the end, Michael Scott had a good heart and genuninely cared for people, despite his horrendous people skills. Andy just doesn't have a good heart.

daria405

daria405

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 10, 2013 @ 11:42 AM

I was surprised that Pete didn't narc on Andy, since, judging by the look on his face during the staff discussion, I thought he would. It's probably better the way it ended up, though, since it gave Erin the chance to stand up for herself and kick Andy to the curb.

Westy8283

Westy8283

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 13, 2013 @ 10:35 AM

Sports Business is a great fit for Jim. He's passionate about it. He's in on the start-up. And he's working for free. That all says a lot about his happiness (and securing a great future for Pam and his two kids). This is where the series needs to end by moving forward on an optimistic note.

This. So we are supposed to identify with Pam's view that working with your husband all day at a company with no long-term future is jobs that don't inspire either of them is supposed to be "better" than Jim pursing a dream at a company where he can help create his own future? All the parts where they are separated right now, and pam takes care of the kids, are short term. It is the kind of sacrifice you make for a better future. they didn't have kids then, but Jim supported pam at art school when she was gone and dealt with not seeing her, driving there, etc. For a destined couple, the interactions between these two border on ridiculous.

sandyeggo622

sandyeggo622

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 14, 2013 @ 7:51 PM

Best parts for me, David Wallace and Jan, I wish she could have been onscreen though....I miss the Michael Scott years.