Side Effects

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

14 replies to this topic

TWoP Gadget

TWoP Gadget

Fanatic

Posted Feb 7, 2013 @ 10:56 AM

Emily and Martin are a successful New York couple whose world unravels when a new drug prescribed by Emily's psychiatrist intended to treat anxiety has unexpected side effects.

toogoodtobetrue

toogoodtobetrue

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 11, 2013 @ 1:39 AM

Even though it was pretty standard psychological thriller fare, I loved it and wish we had more movies like it.

Rooney Mara is so beautiful to me and I can't put my finger exactly on why-- the parts don't seem to add up to beauty, but yet, she is so so beautiful. Can't take my eyes off of her (and I'm a straight female).

Edited by toogoodtobetrue, Feb 11, 2013 @ 1:41 AM.

Redtracer

Redtracer

Fanatic

Posted Feb 11, 2013 @ 11:59 AM

I'd say that sums it up pretty well: standard but entertaining. Jude Law and Rooney Mara are both excellent, and I really loved Thomas Newman's almost exotic score. There are perhaps a few too many twists, and the final one involving Mara and her former psychiatrist is particularly silly, like something you would have seen in one of those Basic Instinct knock-offs that were so popular in the 90s (and the fact that that part of the movie is shot in soft-focus, almost lurid close-up doesn't really help). But it's at least worth a rental, especially if you like psychological thrillers.

TudorQueen

TudorQueen

Stalker

Posted Feb 11, 2013 @ 2:32 PM

I enjoyed it - it was glossy, fast paced and had lots of surprises. Very Soderbergh, and I do hope his 'retirement' doesn't last long. I was slightly offended by the whole 'Evil Lesbian' aspect, but not enough to make me hate the film.

Ashforth

Ashforth

Fanatic

Posted Feb 12, 2013 @ 11:28 PM

I liked it, too. I figured out one of the major plot twists well before it was revealed, and so I was glad that it was followed by a few more that kept me wondering how it would end.

I did get the feeling that Catharine Zeta-Jones' character was supposed to be much less attractive than, well, than Catharine Zeta-Jones. They tried to frump her up, but really, a tight bun and big glasses aren't enough.

ethanvahlere

ethanvahlere

Stalker

• Interests:Movies, books, music, apple juice (which I drink the way the Gilmores drink coffee), Veronica Mars, The Wire, Big Love, Pushing Daisies.

Posted Feb 13, 2013 @ 12:15 AM

Generally speaking, I liked it, and while part of me wonders what the film would have been like had it been directed by someone who fully embraced a Hitchcockian visual style to go with the story - someone like Fincher, maybe, or DePalma at his peak - I did like the tension between the story and Soderbergh's somewhat chilly style. The only problem I had with the movie is Catherine Zeta-Jones; basically, her performance was like a sign on her forehead screaming, "I'm the villain". And I also had problems with the "evil Lesbian" plot twist as well, though at least the movie didn't become lurid in that respect (well, not too lurid anyway).

Rooney Mara was very good here. As one critic pointed out, this was almost an inverse of her performance as Lisbeth Salander; whereas Lisbeth has a hard shell and combative attitude that hides a vulnerable side, here you have a vulnerable, heart-on-the-sleeve personality that masks a more calculating side, and I thought she brought both sides off beautifully. And considering how disappointed I was in Law's performance in Contagion, I was pleasantly surprised to see him work so well here, especially since he didn't downplay his character's bad side.

Oh, and I went through the entire movie without recognizing Mamie Gummer as the wife of Channing Tatum's old boss.

bparhad

bparhad

Stalker

Posted Feb 13, 2013 @ 9:42 AM

Oh, and I went through the entire movie without recognizing Mamie Gummer as the wife of Channing Tatum's old boss.

I kind of did an internal squeal when I saw that Mamie Gummer was supposed to be married to David Costabile (Gale from Breaking Bad). And then it had me thinking that the couple had all their money from meth : )

I actually enjoyed this way more than I thought I would. Rooney Mara's off-screen personality really puts me off, but I actually liked her a lot in this. The only thing that killed me - she's not the most effective crier and talker. Early in her career, she was on an episode of Law and Order: SVU where she was crying and talking and she sounded very whiny, and I found that to be true here too. However, I do agree with this:

Rooney Mara is so beautiful to me and I can't put my finger exactly on why-- the parts don't seem to add up to beauty, but yet, she is so so beautiful.

She is just lovely, and I think that really worked with the story - I could see how both Channing Tatum and Catherine Zeta Jones would be taken with her.

I did read the original casting was Blake Lively for Rooney's part (she dropped out and Rooney took over) and Justin Timberlake for Channing Tatum's part. I'm glad it worked out the way it did, because while I actually like Blake Lively, I don't think she would have worked well here at all. And while I don't think Channing Tatum is a fantastic actor, he has a charisma that Justin Timberlake doesn't have.

SeanC

SeanC

Fanatic

Posted Feb 17, 2013 @ 6:46 PM

I liked the way the movie showed Jude Law's character turning the tables on the bad guys. The heroes usually aren't allowed to be that smart/manipulative.

BeetFarmGirl

BeetFarmGirl

Fanatic

Posted Feb 20, 2013 @ 4:14 PM

I went into this movie knowing very little, and just trusting Soderbergh to do a good job and I wasn't disappointed. Aside from not really believing Channing Tatum as someone capable of financial machinations (albeit one who got caught) I thought the leads did well.

Glad to see Jude Law in something again. He was everywhere for a while, then nowhere.

esschan

esschan

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 21, 2013 @ 12:41 PM

I liked that, too SeanC, even though the end tied everything up a little too pat for my taste. Otherwise, I was utterly riveted as the story progressed.

I had my suspicions about Mara when she said that Law was the one who told her to stay on the drug when in fact she clearly said it was the only thing working for her in the office consult with Law and Tatum.

Milburn Stone

Milburn Stone

Fanatic

Posted Mar 12, 2013 @ 6:38 AM

Rooney Mara is so beautiful to me and I can't put my finger exactly on why-- the parts don't seem to add up to beauty, but yet, she is so so beautiful.

She is just lovely, and I think that really worked with the story - I could see how both Channing Tatum and Catherine Zeta Jones would be taken with her.

Someone else who was clearly taken with her: Steven Soderbergh. I've rarely if ever seen a movie so filled with long, lingering closeups of its star. Just as you and I couldn't take our eyes off her, Soderbergh couldn't take his camera off her. I imagine him silently going, "Oh my God, the camera loves this woman."

As for Jude Law's return after a long time in the desert, I could be wrong, but I trace his lack of employment all these years (or his relegation to sidekick roles) to Chris Rock's joke about him at the Oscars the year Rock hosted. When Rock pointed out that Jude Law was in everything that year, I imagined the Hollywood powers-that-be going, "Hmmm, he actually is in everything, isn't he?" I don't think Rock meant to kill Law's career, but I think he helped do that, for a time. I'm glad to see him climbing his way back.

Edited by Milburn Stone, Mar 12, 2013 @ 6:40 AM.

jch323

jch323

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 12, 2013 @ 9:39 PM

As for Jude Law's return after a long time in the desert, I could be wrong, but I trace his lack of employment all these years (or his relegation to sidekick roles) to Chris Rock's joke about him at the Oscars the year Rock hosted. When Rock pointed out that Jude Law was in everything that year, I imagined the Hollywood powers-that-be going, "Hmmm, he actually is in everything, isn't he?" I don't think Rock meant to kill Law's career, but I think he helped do that, for a time. I'm glad to see him climbing his way back.

I actually don't think it's because of the Chris Rock joke. Sure, Jude was in a lot of movies then, but they were all bad or - worse - bland. In general, I find him a much more compelling screen presence now with several more years on him and his pretty boy youth behind him.

ribboninthesky1

ribboninthesky1

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2013 @ 3:17 PM

I just saw this, and I liked it well enough. I can't say I see the "Rooney Mara is soooooo beautiful" thing, and while I thought she was okay in the role, I feel like another actress would have been more convincing for me. She never conveyed the vulnerable "wounded bird" that the movie kept beating me over the head with in the beginning, so it wasn't difficult to figure out the larger plot twist early on. And I found the lingering close ups rather distracting. I likely would have enjoyed the movie more with a different actress, since she was the lynchpin.

Someone who did surprise me was Channing Tatum. He wasn't in the movie much, no doubt. But even so, I was more impressed with him here than Magic Mike. Strange, indeed.

As for the plot twists, the Evil Lesbian thing has been mentioned. But I also wasn't quite clear on how Banks got Emily back into the institution. Their final scene was a bit confusing, and I'd need to watch again to fully understand. Also, Emily and Victoria's plan was awfully...thin, and seems to have several dependencies: Emily getting the insanity plea, the stock price of the drugs, etc.

Edited by ribboninthesky1, Apr 21, 2013 @ 3:18 PM.

SoManyWays

SoManyWays

Couch Potato

Posted May 27, 2013 @ 12:13 PM

Finally saw this.  The plot was not particularly ingenious, but I felt the style of the movie made up for it.

As for how Banks got Emily institutionalized again:  That multiple choice test-thing he filled out was a personality survey, a diagnostic test which indicated paraniod schizophrenia.  He lied that Emily had filled it out and was able to get her committed on the basis of his new diagnosis.

Most thriller elements are about what the bad guys do to the good guys, but it was rather chilling the power that Banks had over Emily.  In the end, Seibert's comment about Emily having a different relationship with a male figure came true -- Banks was anything but indulgent.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Jul 13, 2013 @ 3:55 PM

I'm glad Channing Tatum wasn't in it much, because I was having a hard time buying him as a Wall Street hot shot. Maybe that's why he got arrested, since he actually wasn't smart enough?

I saw this on DVD and the making of featurette is hilarious. I think it's Soderburgh doing the voiceover, and I really wanted it to be longer than 3-4 minutes. For a movie without any real sense of humor, it was such a great surprise.