13-13: "In Vino Veritas" 2013.02.06

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

14 replies to this topic

staveDarsky

staveDarsky

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 6, 2013 @ 10:59 PM

When CSI Mac Taylor decides to surprise his girlfriend in Vegas, he discovers she's missing and asks his friend D.B. Russell for help. Meanwhile, the CSIs investigate the loss of a local wine collector on part one of a two-part crossover with CSI:NY.

iscoffy

iscoffy

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 7, 2013 @ 2:21 AM

I was waiting for the scene where the angry French wine guy laid into Hodges for opening the super-special bottle of wine. They were able to tell that the fake stuff was fake without needing to open the real thing -- surely someone would have been mad about that.

I don't watch CSI: NY so that part wasn't that interesting with me. Sure, they know each other from conferences -- do we really need the awkward conversation about chicken wings?

BooksRule

BooksRule

Fanatic

Posted Feb 7, 2013 @ 8:04 AM

I was waiting for the scene where the angry French wine guy laid into Hodges for opening the super-special bottle of wine. They were able to tell that the fake stuff was fake without needing to open the real thing -- surely someone would have been mad about that.

I kept waiting for D.B. to come in and jump all over them for drinking in the lab. Couldn't a lawyer claim that any evidence might not have been processed correctly because the lab techs were drunk on duty?

Also, I'm assuming that the wine counterfeiters were careful to sell to rich people who didn't really know wine and were just wanting to 'flaunt their wealth' by paying for something that they couldn't tell was fake. Wouldn't someone who really, really knows wine (like Hodges--yeah, right!) tell the fakes from the real deal?

Tucson

Tucson

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 7, 2013 @ 10:25 AM

Good part of the episode was that it was practically Finn-less. I liked the crossover since I also watch CSI:NY and I like Mac. But I agree that opening an $82,000 bottle of wine and drinking in the lab was way out of line. Also Hodges sniffing the cask and detecting a wine smell over the decomp...yeah, right. I think even a bloodhound would gag.

BooksRule

BooksRule

Fanatic

Posted Feb 7, 2013 @ 11:48 AM

I haven't watched 'CSI: NY' in a while, but I'll have to remember to catch the conclusion of this one.

And, yes, I thought that Hodges being able to smell the 'vanilla, tobacco, citrus, etc.' scents over the decomp was ridiculous. I also noticed that when he was wheeling it through the hallway it looked kind of clean and dry inside. In the morgue it was kind of drippy, even after he had tipped it out (ugh!). Although it must have been stinky, since everyone was holding their noses and turning away.

Raphael delGado

Raphael delGado

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 7, 2013 @ 9:01 PM

They paid Edward Herrmann to be a guest star, and that was all they used him for? What a waste. Gary Sinise used to be a good actor too, and nothing they write for him can make me believe he is in love with his "girlfriend".

BooksRule

BooksRule

Fanatic

Posted Feb 7, 2013 @ 9:12 PM

I know. All throughout the episode, I kept waiting for Herrmann to show up and be more involved with the case somehow. He only had, what, a couple of scenes where he threw that party and then talked to the cops? On the other hand, it was good to see him, I haven't seen him on anything in a while.

catray

catray

Fanatic

Posted Feb 7, 2013 @ 9:51 PM

The Mac/DB convo at the beginning of this episode was so, so awkward. And unnecessary. Couldn't they have just said "long time, no see"? I don't even watch CSI:NY these days, so I didn't care for the storyline at all and I wasn't invested in it. Sorry, Mac. I hate the crossover episodes.

It was really nice to Christopher Heyerdahl in this episode. Actually, this episode had a lot of great guest stars in it! It was "hey, it's that guy!" all over the place.

Otherwise... the mystery wasn't so bad, but I call foul that Hodges could smell wine in the barrel full of decomp. Hah, yeah right.

non sequitur

non sequitur

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 7, 2013 @ 11:56 PM

I found it almost impossible to believe someone like Hodges would be drinking in the lab/ at work.

maculae

maculae

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 8, 2013 @ 12:21 AM

I found it almost impossible to believe someone like Hodges would be drinking in the lab/ at work.

I find it almost impossible to believe that someone like Hodges would have attractive girls falling over him (fiance and Morgan).

misterbfd

misterbfd

Fanatic

Posted Feb 8, 2013 @ 1:14 AM

The real 1936 wine was apparently seized by US Customs since that's where it came from. Therefore it didn't belong to anyone and could be used for evidence, though I believe that US Customs auctions off seized property if it isn't needed or illegal. So that bottle could have fetched tens of thousands of dollars at auction.

They were able to tell that the fake stuff was fake without needing to open the real thing -- surely someone would have been mad about that.

This was the most annoying part. The ONLY reason they opened the wine was to give us a chance to see Hodges and Morgan in a semi-romantic wine and cheese lunch. They could have tested the FAKE wine post-nuclear traces without opening the 1936 wine.

merylinkid

merylinkid

Fanatic

Posted Feb 9, 2013 @ 12:23 AM

Wasn't DB brought in to stop the Cowboy tendencies of the CSI's and keep them professional? Not only does he let his own team be involved in cases in which they have a personal interest but he is taking time off from his own job to go help the head of NY CSI handle a personal matter? Honestly.

Why do the writers even bother if every episode is going to be personal angst? This show used to be about using technology to solve crimes. Now it is all CSIs and their love lives. Ugh.

Arjumand

Arjumand

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 9, 2013 @ 10:05 AM

The ONLY reason they opened the wine was to give us a chance to see Hodges and Morgan in a semi-romantic wine and cheese lunch.

I couldn't watch that without wincing - I kept waiting for someone to storm in and fire them both. Did I say "waiting"? I meant WISHING. My next wish is for someone to present them with the bill for the wine.

Wasn't DB brought in to stop the Cowboy tendencies of the CSI's and keep them professional?

Ever since his own granddaughter was kidnapped he seems to have seen the beauty of Taking! It! Personally! and accepted the Cowboy way. Boo to the new and improved D.B., I want the old one back.

As an aside, is it just me or does Mac Taylor look really skeevy in a suit jacket with a t-shirt underneath? Stick to the shirts and ties, Mac! This just looks like you're trying too hard!

Edited by Arjumand, Feb 9, 2013 @ 10:10 AM.

John Potts

John Potts

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2013 @ 11:06 AM

Maybe it’s just me, but was anybody else hoping that it would turn out that Mac’s girlfriend was having an affair? How many times have we seen somebody saying “My beloved couldn’t possibly be having an affair/a former prostitute/into self mutilation (delete as appropriate)” while our team looks on awkwardly? It’d be like when Veronica Mars confronted her dad on having an affair, because he used exactly the same justification that they did. But our heroes are always right, so that was never going to happen.

Non Sequitor I found it almost impossible to believe someone like Hodges would be drinking in the lab/ at work.

You’d think there would be some way to do a spectroscopic analysis or something to confirm it was genuine. Or hell, simply analyse the label to prove it, at least, was genuine rather than simply consuming (at work!) a $100,000 bottle of wine.

Books Rule I kept waiting for Herrmann to show up and be more involved with the case somehow.

So was I. How could they violate the CSI rule of always having the most famous guest star be the villain?

SVNBob

SVNBob

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2013 @ 2:01 AM

You’d think there would be some way to do a spectroscopic analysis or something to confirm it was genuine.

There was, and that's why Hodges had to open the bottle in the first place.  And opening a wine bottle really is a point of no return on extremely old/rare wines.  So I can understand why Hodges, the recent convert to all things Italia, would consume the wine.  At work is a bit more of stretch.