1-2: "The Clock" 2013.02.06

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

95 replies to this topic

icouldntresist

icouldntresist

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 28, 2013 @ 10:37 AM

I see the maid, son or brother accidently running into them one day on the street causing problems. Some are asking why didn't the KGB agents kill them. Besides alerting the police that the Secretary of Defense's maid was killed it's one more murder they have to get away with. Even old school gangsters/mafia realize you had to watch your body count. I say this after the fact but all Elizabeth kills are smaller caliber pistol shots to the head. By the 1980s the 9mm was the weapon of choice for street gangs. Sooner or later the police would wind up matching/linking a sketch to other crimes.

Izeinwinter

Izeinwinter

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 12, 2013 @ 2:05 PM

I think they are expecting the maid to flip on them at some point - that is why they were in disguise while interacting with her. It is not like the FBI does not know that there are KGB agents in town. They even already know there is a male/female pair operating in this city. As long as their identities are not compromised, another source telling the FBI that is not ideal, but nor is the end of the world. 3 bodies on the other hand? Messy.

John Potts

John Potts

Fanatic

Posted Jun 11, 2013 @ 8:48 AM

The whole operation was pretty messed up anyway, but Philip knew (and stated) it was always a long shot - they were doing in a couple of days what they'd normally take months to arrange. Kinda like in Argo. “We don’t have any good ideas, just bad ones. This is the best bad idea we have!” Still, I was somewhat surprised they didn't kill the maid, though as they'd need to kill three people to tidy up loose ends (the maid, her son and her brother) which was probably raise too many questions, particularly when they definitely want the bug in place for the Summit - if it lasts beyond that, it's a bonus, but they really want to hear that bit (I would guess). I really like that Philip & Elizabeth aren’t soulless automata for the glory of Mother Russia. Even though they are genuine believers in the cause (and prepared to die for that cause) that doesn’t mean they like potentially killing people. In fact, the Americans (as embodied by Stan) seem less heroic than our Villain Protagonists!

I also like the fact that while they are soldiers for the Motherland, they still have to deal with real world problems (I'd like to know if they ever deal with any actual travel agency business, even if only in passing since I doubt it would be exciting viewing - but it would be somewhat ironic if what trips our protagonists up were not the Fanatical attention of their FBI neighbour but the IRS). It seems that American teenagers are a trial to their parents even if their parents are Russian spies. And even if it would weird me out to see my mother watching me sleeping and offering to pierce my ears (even if I was a teenage girl and not a mumble mumble year old man), it was nice to see some mother daughter bonding.

Puds38 I had my ears pierced like that as a child only they also used thread and a potato.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the potato for?

Hal25

Hal25

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 11, 2013 @ 9:32 AM

Ears are fleshy and tend to move out of the way when you try to pierce them. It's hard to get a good grip on them also, particularly when they're wet and icy. The potato makes a nice flat surface for the needle to sink into and helps make a cleaner hole because you can punch straight through.

Still, I was somewhat surprised they didn't kill the maid, though as they'd need to kill three people to tidy up loose ends (the maid, her son and her brother) which was probably raise too many questions, particularly when they definitely want the bug in place for the Summit - if it lasts beyond that, it's a bonus, but they really want to hear that bit (I would guess).

I think as a television viewer I've become too immune to violence because I often think the same thing--that they should just kill off anyone who sees them. But I think they both (especially Philip, who was visibly affected by the prospect of having to kill the kid) doesn't like hurting people and would avoid it when possible. Plus, if the maid suddenly disappeared for whatever reason, that would be a huge red flag that something was up. Their best bet is if nothing looks out of the ordinary.

Edited by Hal25, Jun 11, 2013 @ 9:36 AM.

BW Manilowe

BW Manilowe

Fanatic

Posted Jun 11, 2013 @ 2:22 PM

The whole operation was pretty messed up anyway, but Philip knew (and stated) it was always a long shot - they were doing in a couple of days what they'd normally take months to arrange. Kinda like in Argo. We dont have any good ideas, just bad ones. This is the best bad idea we have! Still, I was somewhat surprised they didn't kill the maid, though as they'd need to kill three people to tidy up loose ends (the maid, her son and her brother) which was probably raise too many questions, particularly when they definitely want the bug in place for the Summit - if it lasts beyond that, it's a bonus, but they really want to hear that bit (I would guess). I really like that Philip & Elizabeth arent soulless automata for the glory of Mother Russia. Even though they are genuine believers in the cause (and prepared to die for that cause) that doesnt mean they like potentially killing people. In fact, the Americans (as embodied by Stan) seem less heroic than our Villain Protagonists!

I also like the fact that while they are soldiers for the Motherland, they still have to deal with real world problems (I'd like to know if they ever deal with any actual travel agency business, even if only in passing since I doubt it would be exciting viewing - but it would be somewhat ironic if what trips our protagonists up were not the Fanatical attention of their FBI neighbour but the IRS). It seems that American teenagers are a trial to their parents even if their parents are Russian spies. And even if it would weird me out to see my mother watching me sleeping and offering to pierce my ears (even if I was a teenage girl and not a mumble mumble year old man), it was nice to see some mother daughter bonding.

Responding to the bolded in the quoted post...

We never see them dealing, physically, with actual clients (as in there are no scenes with other actors who have roles in different eps as clients of the travel agency owned by Phillip & Elizabeth) though some scenes do eventually take place in the travel agency they own.

They also toss off lines to each other periodically, referencing something a travel agent would do for a client having been done by 1 or the other of them for 1 of their clients (ie something about a voucher for Swissair), or they talk about at least 1 working from home instead, on a certain day (because they also have something going on with the spy thing simultaneously & they're waiting for contact about that); or we see an employee of their travel agency, in the travel agency, telling 1 or both that they did something for a client; Phillip is also eventually seen attending some sort of convention for Travel Agents (which, conveniently, ties into a mission). So the travel agency comes into play, sort of, but mostly only in passing as you said.

The main focus of the series is on their being spies; trying not to be caught, killed, &/or have their cover blown (especially since they have minor children with nobody, really, to turn to if something happened to separate them before the kids [or at least Paige, as the oldest] reached legal adulthood, like death or police/FBI capture); their relationship with their children (who are Americans by birth, in contrast to their parents who are pretending to be Americans & are really Communist Russian-born spies... unbeknownst to the kids) & the conflicts their real differences in culture, plus the fact the kids don't know about their parents' secret lives, can sometimes cause in that relationship; as well as the fact their own "arranged marriage" relationship--where they pretend to have feelings for each other, for the benefit of their all too real kids & the others who don't know the relationship is fake & part of their cover--is now turning into a relationship where the feelings between them are real, not just part of their cover.

Edited by BW Manilowe, Jun 11, 2013 @ 2:24 PM.

thatguy01

thatguy01

Fanatic

Posted Jun 12, 2013 @ 12:53 AM

I think they are expecting the maid to flip on them at some point

They had a pretty good chance that the maid wouldn't flip.  Like their other blackmail victims, they pushed her to commit a crime.  It would, and did, take a lot of fortitude to confess it.