8-15: "P.S. I Love You" 2013.02.04

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

88 replies to this topic

karra

karra

Fanatic

• Interests:Writing, reading, baking.

Posted Feb 5, 2013 @ 5:41 PM

I wonder if the "joke" (because it was not at all funny) was that Dobler didn't get the girl with that boombox trick either.

Also, Hot In Cleveland did a Say Anything joke this week too, with a boy stalking one of the girls Say-Anything-Style because it was his grandmother's favorite movie. Was this movie on TBS or something over the summer?

meepster

meepster

Fanatic

Posted Feb 5, 2013 @ 6:25 PM

The "joke" wasn't very good. Maybe it was supposed to remind us that we've only seen parts of the Mother. Her foot, her left hand, etc.

jumper sage

jumper sage

Fanatic

Posted Feb 5, 2013 @ 7:22 PM

All the Canadian cameos especially the Dave Coulier one cracked me up.

Except that Coulier is American born in St. Clair Shores Michigan. The only joke was that they kept putting him in the Alainis joke not the Canadian part of the joke.

I know it's stupid and petty but I am from the same area and usually we don't claim Coulier and now I feel I must claim him.

CM52

CM52

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 5, 2013 @ 7:49 PM

IMO it doesn't make sense for this to have happened to Robin. It was plausible for her to be under the radar as a Canadian one-hit wonder, but if this stuff really happened to her, I think she'd be way more famous (and Barney would have heard about this earlier, when he first researched Robin Sparkles).

Because this show's portrayal of Canada has been realistic for the last 8 years until now?

corvus13

corvus13

Stalker

Posted Feb 5, 2013 @ 7:53 PM

Steven Page hasn't been in the Barenaked Ladies for almost four years now.

The documentary was several years ago, not current.

CapsChick

CapsChick

Fanatic

Posted Feb 5, 2013 @ 7:54 PM

I wonder if the "joke" (because it was not at all funny) was that Dobler didn't get the girl with that boombox trick either.

Spoiler alert: Lloyd and Diane get back together at the end of the movie.

Also, Hot In Cleveland did a Say Anything joke this week too, with a boy stalking one of the girls Say-Anything-Style because it was his grandmother's favorite movie. Was this movie on TBS or something over the summer?

It's a classic! One of my all-time favorites. The Washington Post published a great article several years ago about the enduring appeal of Lloyd Dobler, and there's a popular local band called Lloyd Dobler effect.

Edited by CapsChick, Feb 5, 2013 @ 7:54 PM.

karra

karra

Fanatic

Posted Feb 5, 2013 @ 7:58 PM

Spoiler alert: Lloyd and Diane get back together at the end of the movie.

I know. But not because of the boombox.

Dave Coulier might not be Canadian, but he's a Canadian Celeb. Isn't he Unrelated: "On July 16th, 2010, Coulier rescued an eldery woman while riding his bike in Detroit, Michigan. The woman was walking into oncoming traffic and was nearly hit by a moped. Coulier grabbed the woman and carried her with one arm while riding his bicycle to safety."

Somerset

Somerset

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 5, 2013 @ 8:10 PM

The only thing that would have made that documentary better is if they had Don Cherry on it and he happened to be a Robin Sparkles superfan.

StarryDreamer

StarryDreamer

Fanatic

Posted Feb 5, 2013 @ 8:27 PM

That bit of geography fail bothered me enough that it brought me out of lurking for only my second post ever and first in 4 years to say I wish this show would just end. It's harder and harder to watch. Where are the characters I use to love?

I read an article about this episode where it mentions that their on staff Canadian writer is actually from Guelph. I suspect that he tossed that joke in as a shout out to his home town. I highly doubt it would've gotten past Dave Thomas (who said the line) if it wasn't meant as an inside joke, as he is from Hamilton himself.

The only thing that would have made that documentary better is if they had Don Cherry on it and he happened to be a Robin Sparkles superfan.

For me, I would've loved a Rick the Temp or Strombo and Jian Gomeshi (subtitled with "from Moxie Fruvous") cameo.

Edited by StarryDreamer, Feb 5, 2013 @ 8:29 PM.

mbd

mbd

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 5, 2013 @ 8:32 PM

Once I saw Dave Thomas, I kept hoping that Rick Moranis would also make a cameo.

Oh well.

CapsChick

CapsChick

Fanatic

Posted Feb 5, 2013 @ 9:18 PM

I know. But not because of the boombox.

I think it contributed to her decision. Anyway, the "Dobler" half of the Dobler-Dahmer thing was totally on target. The other half, not so much.

karra

karra

Fanatic

Posted Feb 5, 2013 @ 9:26 PM

They probably should've used another fictional character for the other half. Idk who, though. Norman Bates? Dobler-Bates doesn't sound terrible.

In the list of who she might've stalked: Ryan Reynolds. Wasn't he dating Alanis at one point?

Petunia13

Petunia13

Fanatic

Posted Feb 5, 2013 @ 9:50 PM

Besides the cameos in the documentary I loved the opening when Robin Sparkles shoots up into the air (lol), the robot, and when she was goth/grunge and did in fact look hot.

backhometome

backhometome

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 5, 2013 @ 9:52 PM

As a Canadian I really enjoyed this ep.

I loved Joey from Fullhouse doing the cut it out bit and then Bob Saget saying in voice over that he always liked that joke. And Dave always asking why they thought the song was about him Lmao. I stil chuckle at that Alanis song about him on the radio whenever I hear it.

and my other fav. joke was Robin being all excited that they got MuchMusic there.

Astor

Astor

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 5, 2013 @ 10:20 PM

To be fair, every sitcom uses this device. On Wings, it was essentially the only type of joke they ever used.

True, but the earlier seasons definitely didn't use it as much as the newer ones. At least not as blatantly.

vienibenmio

vienibenmio

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 5, 2013 @ 10:37 PM

Because this show's portrayal of Canada has been realistic for the last 8 years until now?

True, but there's only so far I can suspend my disbelief.

FreakyBunny

FreakyBunny

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 6, 2013 @ 7:48 AM

I'm Canadian, too, and I love the Canadian references even though they are wildly inaccurate. Canada has a huge inferiority complex when it comes to the states, so I think we like being featured even it the humour is way off base. I laughed the whole time, and was thinking "Please don't let it be Geddy!". There's no point in trying to reconcile HIMYM's "Canadiana" with the real world...just enjoy it.

As far as the episode went, it was funny enough. I've had a crush on Abbey Elliott since she first appeared on SNL. Her obsession with Ted was pretty funny. I mean, who would stalk Ted? Looking forward to seeing what happens there.

On another note, I wouldn't mind it one bit if Lily and Marshall moved to Alaska to fight oil drilling or somesuch never to be seen again. Those poor actors. You can tell they are in it for the pay cheque at this point. It sure isn't for the "art".

notwisconsin

notwisconsin

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 6, 2013 @ 9:27 AM

and my other fav. joke was Robin being all excited that they got MuchMusic there.

Well they do. Except they call it FUSE for some reason.

thejennamonster

thejennamonster

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 6, 2013 @ 10:03 AM

[snip] the Dahmer thing. They weren't saying he was any kind of stalker. They were saying that the person could either be considered romantic or a potential serial killer.

And Barney not knowing that Robin had a Alanis Morissette-esque song = he doesn't know anything about the woman he's marrying? Really? So every couple needs to know every little thing about their partner's past before they get married? God that sounds like the rest of their lives would be boring never learning anything new about the other person.

Also, we totally got MuchMusic when I was in high school. May just have been because we had satellite, though.

Edited by TWoP Roxy, Feb 6, 2013 @ 6:30 PM.
FAQ

mbd

mbd

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 6, 2013 @ 10:36 AM

And Barney not knowing that Robin had a Alanis Morissette-esque song = he doesn't know anything about the woman he's marrying? Really? So every couple needs to know every little thing about their partner's past before they get married? God that sounds like the rest of their lives would be boring never learning anything new about the other person.

There was a part when Barney was talking to the second boyfriend that stuck out to me, not the Robin Sparkles/Daggers thing (because the gang not knowing about Robin Sparkles is an ongoing joke). I went back and watched that scene because I forgot what he specifically said:

Turk: "All we talked about was her relationship with her mother, the gnawing feelings of inadequacy, all the horrible secrets from that side of the family ... but, heck, you're her fiance! You know all of that, right?"
Barney: "Uh ... yeah?"

Obviously Robin isn't known for opening up to anyone, and Barney also has a lot bad stuff in his past that he doesn't talk about either. I'm wondering if this scene with Turk was hinting toward some kind of climax where they both have to face their demons in order to go through with the marriage, or if they can just agree to let the past be the past (although I can't imagine that that would be a healthy marriage).

I wonder who they'll get to play Robin's mother?

thejennamonster

thejennamonster

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 6, 2013 @ 11:04 AM

Turk: "All we talked about was her relationship with her mother, the gnawing feelings of inadequacy, all the horrible secrets from that side of the family ... but, heck, you're her fiance! You know all of that, right?"
Barney: "Uh ... yeah?"

They all know about her feelings of inadequacy, even Barney. It's come up a lot throughout the series. And the mom and family secret stuff, Robin and the second boyfriend dated when she was a teenager. It's pretty common for teenage girls to have a strained relationship with their mothers, and probably doubly so if her mom was pushing her to be a star when she was, as demonstrated by this episode, kind of over being a pop princess. Those things most likely aren't even a factor anymore 20 years later for her to talk about.

I am interested in her mom's story/relationship, though. I also wonder if they'll bring back the same actress to play her sister.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Feb 6, 2013 @ 1:22 PM

Except that Coulier is American born in St. Clair Shores Michigan.

Coulier seems destined to the same fate as Andrea Martin, another American almost universally thought of as Canadian.

jediknight

jediknight

Stalker

Posted Feb 6, 2013 @ 2:38 PM

I think it's time grunge made a comeback, Cobie becomes Robin Daggers for a live performance at the Grammy Awards on Sunday. Who wouldn't love it?

undecideable

undecideable

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 7, 2013 @ 4:09 AM

That would make the Grammys worthwhile. For a change.

TV Anonymous

TV Anonymous

Fanatic

Posted Feb 7, 2013 @ 10:30 PM

jediknight:

I think it's time grunge made a comeback, Cobie becomes Robin Daggers for a live performance at the Grammy Awards on Sunday. Who wouldn't love it?

Or have Robin Daggers to play for real at the 101st Grey Cup in Regina. Alas, wrong broadcaster.

Whatsyourface

Whatsyourface

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 8, 2013 @ 2:15 AM

This episode made me want a donut.

The SagetTed meta Full House joke reminded me that Josh Radnor made that movie where he dates MaryKateandAshley's younger sister. Gross.

Seeing how tough Robin's dad was in one of the recent episodes makes me wonder how the hell he let her become a pop star. But who cares? Robin Sparkles has always been one of those just go with it plots.

rosetattoo

rosetattoo

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 8, 2013 @ 4:00 AM

Seeing how tough Robin's dad was in one of the recent episodes makes me wonder how the hell he let her become a pop star. But who cares? Robin Sparkles has always been one of those just go with it plots.

Because she went to live with her Mum when her Dad caught her kissing her team member. It was after that she become the pop star

Rock42

Rock42

Fanatic

Posted Feb 11, 2013 @ 2:07 PM

The Dobler/Dahmer thing was done better by SNL a few years ago, in thesexual harassment video starring Tom Brady. "Be Handsome" and people will be charmed by behavior that, from a less attractive person, would be cause for alarm.

This joke was done long before that on the long-ago UPN sit-com "Sparks" (featuring Robin Givens), in which one woman character says, "I'll tell you what sexual harassment is. Sexual harassment is when an ugly man hits on you. When it's Clarence Thomas, it's 'Help! Help! I'm being sexually harassed!' When it's Denzel Washington, it's "Mmm, mmm. Get me to a motel room!'"

LOVED the Bob Saget "I always liked that joke" joke. But "Cut It Out" was NEVER funny, and I used to see Dave Coulier on his "Out of Control" show (which aired on Nick, paired with "You Can't Do That On Television") even before he ran it into the ground on "Full House." P.S. Coulier has aged well!

Coincidentally, a pre-fame Alanis Morissette was on "You Can't Do That On Television" towards the end of it's run.

Edited by Rock42, Feb 11, 2013 @ 2:33 PM.

beekabeck

beekabeck

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 11, 2013 @ 10:38 PM

Just watched this, and enjoyed all of the Canadian guest stars (Geddy!), but my lawyer brain couldn't get past the fact that Barney didn't just go to the damn courthouse and pull a copy of the 50-meter restraining order to see who took it out against Robin Sparkles. For that matter, anyone could, but then there'd be no big secret driving the Under the Tunes episode ...