9-13: "Bad Blood" 2013.01.31

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

81 replies to this topic

LakeLover

LakeLover

Fanatic

Posted Jan 31, 2013 @ 10:17 PM

As Derek and April work around the clock to find a solution for the hospital, Cristina struggles to respect the wishes of a family whose son is dying. Meanwhile, Arizona empathizes with a teenager who faces problems similar to her own.

Chicken Wing

Chicken Wing

Fanatic

Posted Jan 31, 2013 @ 10:21 PM

Soooo when a couple is expecting a biological child, they take the adopted child back to the store?

LakeLover

LakeLover

Fanatic

Posted Jan 31, 2013 @ 10:25 PM

Boy, this episode was all up and down for me. The good was good - Cristina excelled, and I loved seeing her absolute authority coupled with her understanding that she had to deal with the limitations imposed by the family, and I enjoyed the end scene of Derek feeling the baby kick (despite the fact that if this is the first "flutter" that Meredith felt, neither Derek nor Bailey would be able to feel a thing on the outside, but whatever, this is Grey's).

I'm now officially sick of the hospital's never ending crises. It's not enough that it had to merge with Mercy West, now it's going to be sold. I suppose it'll be bought by its own surgeons, so maybe I'll enjoy that, but not if it drags out through the rest of the season.

I'm still too confused over best buddy Cristina and Owen - we're divorced, but in love? Don't quite follow that. I'm still tired of all the interns but Ross. I'm still really tired of Bailey. She's officially too snarky for me, and I'm so over it. I also don't like the way Callie and Arizona speak to each other. And finally, on my list of complaints, I don't believe Alex couldn't get through to gymnast girl. He's pretty much the best at talking to kids and adolescents.

ETA:

Soooo when a couple is expecting a biological child, they take the adopted child back to the store?

Or, evidently, when they're trying to have a sex life, since we haven't seen Sofia either :)

Edited by LakeLover, Jan 31, 2013 @ 10:27 PM.

NYluv

NYluv

Fanatic

Posted Jan 31, 2013 @ 10:32 PM

It was cruel of Shonda and Co to have the interns go on and on about being worried they will get fired when (most of us) really do want them gone. lol

It seems pretty obvious that now the crash survivors are going to at the least partially invest in the hospital now that we know it's for sale - I can't see how this can play out any other way with the sort of "suspense" and "dramatics" that scenario would bring.

noregrets

noregrets

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 31, 2013 @ 10:33 PM

Wow! Dr. Webber railing against assembly-line surgery ... the efficiency expert screaming "The patients don't matter!" ... the ER being closed down to make the hospital more attractive to investors ... I got a very strong anti-Obamacare vibe from that episode.

Also, am I the only one who kept seeing Sandra Bullock for an instant every time the camera cut to Christina's intern?

harkiv

harkiv

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 31, 2013 @ 10:37 PM

Eh.

I really like Cristina and Owen away from each other. Enjoyed both their stories separately. I also liked Callie and Arizona's banter. Officer hardass. lol

Things I did not care for were Jackson continuing to be a huge entitled jerk. Also, I'm just not liking Bailey this season. We should be so lucky that all the interns get fired.

MGTex

MGTex

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 31, 2013 @ 10:44 PM

Like Derek and April's cost cutting scheme, this entire episode was a waste of time. It had a few cute moments like Mer and Bailey's competitive banter and Callie and Arizona's parenting style conflict (I'm on Callie's side on that one). But overall, it felt like bad mid-season filler. Meh.

ParadoxLost

ParadoxLost

Fanatic

Posted Jan 31, 2013 @ 10:50 PM

Derek is much more tolerable when he is trying to come up with a solution rather than griping. Its still going to be horrible when the Docs inevitably buy enough of the hospital and have no one to answer to

AnitaMC86

AnitaMC86

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 31, 2013 @ 10:56 PM

Dull episode.

Not sure who is worse: April or Leah. Terrible. Just fire them. I bet that can be a big investment back. Especially if those morons are the "future" of the hospital

I felt nothing for Cahill. I'm ready for her story arc be done. I also swore she would make out with Owen. Sure that one is a ticking bomb.

On a superficial note: PD & EP were looking good tonight.

The Peds patient annoyed me but liked Arizona's take on it. Cristina is really good as a doctor/teacher. More of that is cool.

Just like Sofia and Tuck. Oh wait...

FWIW SR tweeted Zola is coming back soon.

Edited by AnitaMC86, Jan 31, 2013 @ 11:19 PM.

Shugardrawers

Shugardrawers

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 31, 2013 @ 11:01 PM

OMG! There is NO hospital in Seattle close enough to have a close up view of the Pike Place Market sign!!! At least do your homework Shondalites!

sab85

sab85

Fanatic

Posted Jan 31, 2013 @ 11:04 PM

To be fair to Dr.Whoever, TED is awesome.

All I could think about when I saw when I those cameras was too bad they weren't there when Meredith was screwing over years of Alzheimer's research.

Edited by sab85, Jan 31, 2013 @ 11:37 PM.

Bleeding Love

Bleeding Love

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 31, 2013 @ 11:11 PM

You know, if the show wants us to like the interns - or at least not hate them - then they probably shouldn't have them doing, or attempting to do, things that would get them fired and/or sued. In the real world, I'd imagine there would be severe consequences for Leah. The only thing I agreed with her on all night is that the cameras in the rooms suggesting protocal would freak me out and scare the patients. Not efficient.

Jackson was kind of an idiot, but he did have a point. Reorganizing the OR for maximum efficiency is fine, but it defeats its affect when no one knows where anything is.

Forgive me, but I don't understand. Cahill wants to sell the hospital? To who? Is the supposed buyer on the hook for the 75 million dollar payout?

tiniwit

tiniwit

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 31, 2013 @ 11:12 PM

I really love post-Mayo, post-Dr. Thomas Cristina.

girl22

girl22

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 31, 2013 @ 11:17 PM

OMG! There is NO hospital in Seattle close enough to have a close up view of the Pike Place Market sign!!! At least do your homework Shondalites!

As a Seattlite myself, I am always griping at the show, (because they mess it up all the time), but I have to say that I am pretty sure that pike's sign was actually a picture hanging on the wall and not a window.

Edited by girl22, Jan 31, 2013 @ 11:21 PM.

jumpingjj

jumpingjj

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 31, 2013 @ 11:22 PM

It's a little hard to believe that Meredith, a doctor and bona fide Smart Person, would have NO IDEA that her baby was supposed to kick right around now. Sheesh!

Maddingcrowd

Maddingcrowd

Fanatic

Posted Jan 31, 2013 @ 11:54 PM

Having a camera watching a patient's and doctors every move would violate the patient's privacy, even in a teaching hospital. Patients have a right to undress, bathe and talk to their doctor privately. Even if the camera is guaranteed to be turned off at certain times, it would still be a violation. Also, efficiency experts make a study and make suggestions which have to be approved and that takes time. They don't just waltz in and change everything in a workplace.

Also don't believe Meredith would not know what a flutter was or that anyone (even her) could feel the flutter with their hands. Bailey was really annoying too. Now that the hospital is about to be sold-do we know of anyone with millions of dollars who could buy it? (sarcasm).

Edited by Maddingcrowd, Jan 31, 2013 @ 11:55 PM.

Frankie5Angels

Frankie5Angels

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 31, 2013 @ 11:55 PM

I miss the patient stories, as ludicrous and inaccurate as they often are. It would have been much better to explore a conflict with the JW family or to actually see the backstory of the little girl Alex, Callie, and Arizona fixed. These were interesting. Instead we got more inane scenes regarding the lawsuit/hospital financial collapse. Seriously? Didn't we go through the whole "cost-cutting" and "everyone's gonna lose their jobs" shit during the season 6 merger? It wasn't interesting then and it isn't interesting now. The episode was sloppy and wasn't cohesive at all. There just seemed to be random incidents stuck to the ER shutdown/lawsuit/bankruptcy main plot. Grey's does better when it sticks to doctor-patient interactions and stories, not this crap. Nothing about it was or is organic.

It was nice to see Callie and Arizona acknowledge Sofia's existence. I like their banter and I would love it if we could get to see them be moms, but it was still fun to see them talk about being moms because they're cute and funny. I like that Arizona is more comfortable about her leg. And, I bet Alex is even happier since this likely means he no longer has to bribe patients not to mention it. It would have been cool to see Arizona, Callie, and Alex working together. I guess we'll only get substantial and quality Alex air time not interacting with teens and kids, which is where he shines, but with Jo who diminishes his character and story.

I continue to be amazed by how much more I like Owen when he isn't anywhere near Cristina. He's pleasant, charming, empathetic, kind, and fun. I knew his interactions with Cahill were too good to be true, though.

I miss Derek playing with Zola and having tea parties with her. It would be nice to hear her name once in a while, especially because there's such focus on the McFetus. It sort of leaves a bad taste in my mouth that the adopted child is all of a sudden MIA in conversation. I know it isn't deliberate, but with a sensitive issue like that, negligence looks even worse.

Cristina ruled, as always. She's turning out to be, along with Alex, the best over-all doctors. I'd like to see Alex spend time with an intern teaching one because he's good teacher.

WindSprints

WindSprints

Stalker

Posted Feb 1, 2013 @ 12:09 AM

It was mainly filler but there were some good moments. The ending sets up the next batch of episodes I guess, watching the hospital for sale and the (IMO) inevitable saving it.

I really love post-Mayo, post-Dr. Thomas Cristina.

I do too. I thought tonight really showed how Cristina has grown as a teacher and a doctor since her early years.

You know, if the show wants us to like the interns - or at least not hate them - then they probably shouldn't have them doing, or attempting to do, things that would get them fired and/or sued. In the real world, I'd imagine there would be severe consequences for Leah.

In the real world yes but not SGMW. I don't think what Leah did was any worse than half the crap the others have pulled over the years and she didn't actually go through with it.

It's a little hard to believe that Meredith, a doctor and bona fide Smart Person, would have NO IDEA that her baby was supposed to kick right around now. Sheesh!

They've shown her as nervous throughout the pregnancy so far though so I didn't find it off that she would automatically think something was wrong. I don't think that being the patient/having the condition (even pregnancy) is the same as treating someone else with it or looking at it as a doctor. Callie was a mess when she was pregnant, Arizona didn't deal with her leg as a doctor, etc. I think the show generally always shows how the POV shifts when the doctor is the patient. Bailey was sweet explaining that it was the baby kicking.

Forgive me, but I don't understand. Cahill wants to sell the hospital? To who?

A group that owns other hospitals maybe, to make SGMW part of its network? At a minimum Richard should have thought that selling would be a possibility as he was behind the SGH and MW merger.

It sort of leaves a bad taste in my mouth that the adopted child is all of a sudden MIA in conversation.

Agree.

Edited by WindSprints, Feb 1, 2013 @ 12:11 AM.

Clairelle876

Clairelle876

Loyal Viewer

• Interests:GA, Calzona, SVU.

Posted Feb 1, 2013 @ 12:26 AM

The episode was all over the place and not very memorable. The only thing i liked about was Christina and her patient drama. Everything else was just really... Off.

Is my TV busted or was Callie's voice like a couple octaves lower/deeper than normal? And not in the sexy way i love. I light up like a Christmas tree when i see her on screen but something was very off about her tonight. Made me wonder if something was going on with her personally (off-camera). I can't put my finger on it.

Way to go Arizona! That girl was really annoying me. Geez!

I thought i saw a little spark between Dr. Cahill and Owen but then i remembered she will only be on for a few episodes.

I think I'm one of the few persons here that has love for all the characters on the show but Owen, Jackson and April have become very boring to watch this season. With that said, i'm excited to see the next episode because it looks like the trauma squad will be getting their hands dirty. Hopefully the storyline will be more interesting than that stupid bike crash.

The writers must've been half asleep while writing Bailey's lines. "This girl is on fire"? That's Alicia Keys right? I mean really? And Hunger Games references. Really? LOL. I laughed at those scenes, but probably not for the intended reason.

There was nothing special about this episode at all. Hopefully the next will be better.

Somerset

Somerset

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 1, 2013 @ 12:58 AM

I laughed when Leah and the friend of the Jehovah's Witness were questioning how devout the guy was if he never mentioned it because it reminded me of April's surprise faith.

Is it wrong that I kind of liked Bob? It's funny that I did, because I hated the eerily similar talking elevator they had at Oceanside Wellness in the Private Practice backdoor pilot.

Rae Spellman

Rae Spellman

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 1, 2013 @ 1:09 AM

The writers must've been half asleep while writing Bailey's lines. "This girl is on fire"? That's Alicia Keys right? I mean really? And Hunger Games references.

The girl on fire was a Hunger Games reference, too. Cinna designed a dress with flames for Katniss and she was introduced as the girl on fire. When Ben said that Miranda lived in her own sci-fi movie, I wouldn't have necessarily guessed that she was a Hunger Games fan.

TXSforever

TXSforever

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 1, 2013 @ 1:32 AM

It sort of leaves a bad taste in my mouth that the adopted child is all of a sudden MIA in conversation.

Derek brought Zola and dropping her off at daycare up in this very episode.

cycworker

cycworker

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 1, 2013 @ 1:52 AM

I quite enjoyed this episode. I liked the pacing, I liked that it had a mix of humor and drama, I liked the acting... in general, I thought it was quite good.

I wanted more Callie/Arizona because they're my faves, but what we got was good and too much more would've been repetitive. I thought the young actress playing the patient was wonderful and that SaRa, JC and JCap all did an excellent job of showing us what their characters were feeling re: how this case related to what happened with Arizona. Ramirez, in particular, broke my heart in that one scene.... what that woman can do with her eyes is amazing to me sometimes.

My only disappointment is that like many Calzona fans, I'd hoped/thought this episode would end with sex between them, finally. And I refuse to think it's happened off-screen, because the tension and snippyness between them tonight reeked of sexual frustration. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. ;)

I actually really like April when she's away from Jackson. I thought that was a good use of her tonight and I liked the way SD and PD interacted. In general Derek was much more tolerable for me tonight.

Still struggling with my feelings re: Owen and Cristina. I really enjoyed how the characters interacted with others today, and yet I really did like their final scene at the end. But I just don't have confidence that they can find a way back to them as a couple without Cristina losing herself again. The character has grown so much this year, yet away from Owen she's kept the essential things that make her who she is (the snark, the drive, the kick ass surgeon, etc.) and I don't want her going too soft. I loved her interaction with the Leah character (my least favourite intern) and I loved her talking to the camera. I'm just ignoring the fact that the poster who suggested that the use of cameras that way would likely be a HIPPA violation because I enjoyed those bits so much.

The interns are definitely only tolerable in small doses, and with core characters. That scene outside was only salvaged by the appearance of Sara Ramirez/Callie.

I admit that tonight the drama re; the future of the hospital did feel a wee bit overdone. And I still don't get the appeal of Constance Zimmer. I don't mean the character of Cahill. I mean Zimmer, the actress. She's not doing a damn thing for me.

I wish Jackson would go away and take Leah with him. Steph, Jo, and Dr. Ross can stay for now.

Happy Harpy

Happy Harpy

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 1, 2013 @ 2:56 AM

And I still don't get the appeal of Constance Zimmer. I don't mean the character of Cahill. I mean Zimmer, the actress. She's not doing a damn thing for me.

For me, it's both the actress and the character. The actress fails to make me feel anything for a walking stereotype.
Cahill playing the calm martyr with Owen, "they need a bad guy"? Bitch, please. I hope the grating "teacher" was a one-episode guest. Just have the crash victims chip in for the hospital, or have it bought, whatever, but I'd like to be done with this storyline.
Cahill's only good point is that she makes me thankful for the interns in comparison (I don't hate them to start with).

There's sassy and there's insufferable. And oh, boy, was Bailey the latter. Little touch by little touch (judgemental with patients etc) she might become a character I can't stand.

I had the feeling that everything was off in this episode. Callie/Arizona bantering wasn't cute, ITA with Alex not succeeding with the teenager (WTF!), I found the voice behind the camera ridiculous and not funny etc. For the first time this season, I was completely meh on the episode.

The only highlights were Cristina's storyline, and Derek/April working together. I liked that at least, Leah wasn't self-righteous about her mistake, and I found it a realistic one to make for a new doctor. And I like April when she behaves like a normal -if a tad excited- person and not a cuckoolander.

Edited by Happy Harpy, Feb 1, 2013 @ 2:57 AM.

TheTwoWorlds

TheTwoWorlds

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 1, 2013 @ 3:09 AM

So... the hospital is trying to save money and cut costs, so they add an expensive camera/monitoring system to the hospital? And I dont even think thats ethically okay. I have never been to a hospital that had cameras in the patient rooms. Also, you have a number of doctors with $15 million each; would none of them decide to chip in and save it? Especially if they're all so upset about the possibility of losing it? And speaking of lawsuits, this whole storyline would had made mores sense if this happened in season 7 after the shooting? I can name a number of real life shootings in which survivors/victim families of mass shootings, sued where the incident took place.

Also, they seem to have dropped the Bailey/Derek incident. I thought that could have created really interesting friction between certain doctors. This show is just so incredibly frustrating, which is why I watch it on and off.

Other than those complaints... the interns didnt bother me as much. Owen was likable. And I loved the scene between the chief and the other guy. And Arizona was awesome. But I've been enjoying Scandal a lot, so at least that makes up for this show.

Edited by TheTwoWorlds, Feb 1, 2013 @ 3:10 AM.

Frankie5Angels

Frankie5Angels

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 1, 2013 @ 3:12 AM

Derek brought Zola and dropping her off at daycare up in this very episode.

WHAT?! I missed a Zola sighting? I love Derek and Zola scenes! They are so cute together and she brings out the "McDreamy" side of him. I will go search for them on YouTube.

I thought the young actress playing the patient was wonderful and that SaRa, JC and JCap all did an excellent job of showing us what their characters were feeling re: how this case related to what happened with Arizona.

I loved that little girl. Even though it was totally crazy that Karev couldn't get through to her, his reaction to her was totally hilarious. He accused her of eating her mom and then said, "She turned me into a suicide risk. It's dark in there!" And, I loved the girl for taking down Callie's bravado. That little girl was like Patient Storm Cloud raining on everyone's best intentions and I loved it! It was also a cool twist that she wasn't moved by Arizona's prosthetic. I loved that young lady and I wish we could have seen her story because she was interacting with three of the best characters.

By the way, does Arizona still have the same scrub cap? I don't know what Holly Hobbie is, but I know that that was her original scrub cap. Is this the same one? I noticed the return of Callie's Pumas. When's the last time we saw those?

My only disappointment is that like many Calzona fans, I'd hoped/thought this episode would end with sex between them, finally. And I refuse to think it's happened off-screen, because the tension and snippyness between them tonight reeked of sexual frustration.

I'm a Calzona shipper and the lack of equality in terms of physicality has always been an issue to me. One reason why I dreaded the amputation story line was because it would give Shonda a good excuse to totally neuter the lesbian couple under the guise of it being a realistic part of the recovery of an amputee. The lameness of their romantic scenes save for two times makes me not want to see it at all. It's just a reminder of how they aren't treated equally in that respect and I hate the way Shonda gasses people up over upcoming scenes when they are either nothing to remark about or they never happen at all. According to Shonda, Callie and Arizona will be back to their "hot" sex life before Valentine's Day. That means there are two episodes left for this momentous turn of events. If it happens, I'm sure it will involve a peck on the cheek shot from a weird angle 20 feet away.

I didn't take their interactions to be sexual tension, though. I think it was playful/competitive banter over parenting techniques. They didn't seem to be mad at each other, just being playful and maybe trying to score points off of one another.

I never thought Arizona would wind up being the pushover parent, though. I always thought Callie would be good cop and/or the pushover. I like this twist!

I liked that at least, Leah wasn't self-righteous about her mistake, and I found it a realistic one to make for a new doctor.

What Leah did wasn't a mistake, it was a deliberate effort to subvert the wishes of a patient which, however exceptionally stupid they are, are nonetheless his wishes. Her actions were deeply unethical and would have constituted an assault. And, it is highly doubtful that any doctor would have risked his or her license to sneak blood products to a patient, especially since that patient would need lots more blood than that one unit and someone would have noticed when it was time to change the bag. It was realistic that she was horrified as should everyone be when someone is allowed to die in order to fulfill the warped interpretations of texts written by ignorant Bronze Age desert nomads, but it was not realistic that she would have obtained the blood without anyone noticing or even taking such an action.

Edited by Frankie5Angels, Feb 1, 2013 @ 4:46 AM.

Constant

Constant

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 1, 2013 @ 3:50 AM

It would be horrible and unjust for any of the main characters to lose their job but its ok for Derek to suggest cutting a doctor from dermatology?
Iíve never been a OwenXChristina hater but how does not labelling your relationship a marriage magically change the fact that one partner wants kids and the other doesnít?

Mama No Life

Mama No Life

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 1, 2013 @ 5:40 AM

WHAT?! I missed a Zola sighting? I love Derek and Zola scenes! They are so cute together and she brings out the "McDreamy" side of him. I will go search for them on YouTube.

No, you didn't miss a Zola scene. Derek mentioned it, and how she's putting everything in her mouth these days, when he was sucking up to Tim.

Chicken Wing

Chicken Wing

Fanatic

Posted Feb 1, 2013 @ 6:42 AM

It's a little hard to believe that Meredith, a doctor and bona fide Smart Person, would have NO IDEA that her baby was supposed to kick right around now.

I know. I actually rolled my eyes at that part. First, because the promo morons are so obnoxiously manipulative with the way they took that three-second scene and blew it up in the commercial to suggest that something was really wrong with the baby and that would be the big storyline in this episode. (I knew it was a misdirect, but it's so annoying how they make an episode look like one thing when it has absolutely nothing to do with it.) And second, can't you be happy for five seconds, Meredith? She feels her baby kick, and I get it, even though she's a doctor and has dealt with pregnant women and felt weird things on other women's bellies, she's never been this far in a pregnancy herself and has never felt a baby kick in her own body.. But come on! And she even called the sensation a flutter -- that's the baby kicking, dumbass. But she automatically assumed something must be wrong. I'm long past ready for Meredith to stop Chicken Little-ing everything in her life.

Happy Harpy

Happy Harpy

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 1, 2013 @ 6:43 AM

It was realistic that she was horrified as should everyone be when someone is allowed to die [...], but it was not realistic that she would have obtained the blood without anyone noticing or even taking such an action.

Good, because I was talking about her feelings. I hoped the "as a new doctor" conveyed it, especially since Cristina thought like her but, more seasoned as a physician(and maybe as a character, less sensitive?) knew better. Leah made the mistake to let her feelings and her belief that saving the patient trumps everything take the better of her, which pushed her to try to commit an unethical act. It seems to me like a thing that a new doctor, still full of ideals and lacking practice, would be more prone to do than an experienced one. So, realistic, in that sense.
I wouldn't talk about the reality of medical procedures or anything in that sense, it's Grey's Anatomy!