12-6: "Auditions: 6" 2013.01.31

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

36 replies to this topic

TryDelta

TryDelta

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 5, 2013 @ 2:17 PM

Zonette was awesome...the only reason why I even bothered to watched last week!

ari333

ari333

Fanatic

Posted Feb 5, 2013 @ 5:27 PM

The "judges" laughing is rude and downright mean, imo. The goading makes me sick. Looking at Minaj here, as in, "Oh, can we hear another one?" when the person clearly, horribly sucks.

If folks didn't show up for auditions, they wouldn't have much of a show. Or, rather, it would certainly change the premise.

I hated the re-enactment of the girl in her living room hearing God. That shit is just low. I don't even want to hear the ones sing who suck donkey balls when there are probably many who are good to adequate, but on the fence, who aren't shown in favor of the pathetic ones they chose to mock. It's just bad, imo. Not funny, not good tv. Blarg.

Sparkling Beth

Sparkling Beth

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 5, 2013 @ 6:11 PM

Oh, I don't know. When someone shows up claiming to have been sent by God, and sings that badly, they kinda deserve to be mocked.

Northwester

Northwester

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 6, 2013 @ 5:12 AM

I was confused by that whole segment. Did the girl not know they were filming the re-enactment of her "listening to God" in order to mock her? Especially given how hokey it was played. So I thought maybe she was in on the joke, but then she seemed genuinely angry that the judges didn't pick her, apparently earning God's wrath. (Well, she did say that Nicki Minaj worships Satan).

This episode demonstrated in a nut shell what I think of as American Idol's split personality. At times the show is all warm and fuzzy, as we're supposed to be moved by the sob stories, and applaud when we see the judges vote with their hearts, as in the case of the kid with CF. But then the show gets cheap entertainment by inviting us to laugh at people who are pathetically deluded, or in some cases, suffering from serious emotional or psychological problems.

Idol has always played this cynical game of having it both ways. But then maybe the game is successful because most of us have that dual nature within ourselves.

Edited by Northwester, Feb 6, 2013 @ 5:18 AM.

molshoop

molshoop

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 6, 2013 @ 7:09 AM

Oh, I don't know. When someone shows up claiming to have been sent by God, and sings that badly, they kinda deserve to be mocked.

I didn't watch that night. Did she sing a gospel song?

Sparkling Beth

Sparkling Beth

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 6, 2013 @ 11:07 AM

I was confused by that whole segment. Did the girl not know they were filming the re-enactment of her "listening to God" in order to mock her?

The girl herself wasn't in the reenactment. An actress played her. So the contestant had no idea they were doing it. What got me was how vindictive and bitter she became after she wasn't picked. Not exactly filled to the brim with God's love.

I didn't watch that night. Did she sing a gospel song?

I don't remember what she sang. (The mind has ways of blanking out horrific experiences.) I don't think it was a Gospel song, though.

MarkHB

MarkHB

Stalker

Posted Feb 6, 2013 @ 11:37 PM

I felt bad for Oscar in the dumpster, particularly since it seemed like she had had that puppet since she was little.

I had forgotten about God-girl before I just jumped in here, but I was kind of hoping at the time that one of the judges would say something easy like "you may have misunderstood the message."

Edited by MarkHB, Feb 6, 2013 @ 11:37 PM.