12-6: "Auditions: 6" 2013.01.31

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

36 replies to this topic

trojan69

trojan69

Fanatic

Posted Jan 31, 2013 @ 9:00 PM

Loved, loved, LOVED Oscar and his handler. Haaaaated how Randy belittled her for not "understanding" "who" she was. AI is losing their followers precisely because we have all figured out the game: force contestants into readily identifiable slots and force that story no matter what. When we get folks who are multi-talented, they are flatly rejected by TPTB, whom Randy does a superior job of mimicking on camera. Jerks.

The whole "crying" segment was perhaps the single worst audition arc in AI histoire. Putrid.

On the other hand, CF is a motherfucker. Good on the lad who was living the dream. Good on the judges for getting it.

I'm betting we did not see some fantastic talent who ended up making quite a run during Hollyweird (aka Northridge) week. Time will tell.

Hello, Steven. LMFAO!

rustyspigot

rustyspigot

Fanatic

• Interests:TV and Sarcasm. And I love the bitches.

Posted Jan 31, 2013 @ 9:41 PM

Steven in drag = Melissa Rivers. Good to know.

Ventriloquist was alright, the dummy looked like it got stuck in Willy Wonka's taffy puller. And her husband was hot.

Lots of pity tickets this episode.

Why was Star Spangled Banner lady wearing a fur lined weave as a vest? I think she's the younger sister of Hottie from Flavor of Love. Beyonce?

tick talk

tick talk

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 31, 2013 @ 9:57 PM

I'm betting we did not see some fantastic talent who ended up making quite a run during Hollyweird (aka Northridge) week. Time will tell.

I hope this will be the case. I know they showed Cortez Shaw (made it to Hollywood last year) in the previews last night but they didn't show him tonight....unless you count a very, very quick glimpse in a group shot at the end when Seacrest was talking about 20 girls and 20 boys making it through Hollywood week.

Chocorokoroko

Chocorokoroko

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 31, 2013 @ 10:15 PM

Zonette, the Star Spangled girl, oh lord... what were they thinking? I know AI puts people through to the judges to have ratings/entertainment, but to pass the to HOLLYWOOD? Well, it makes sense, knowing where the music business is going. Talent doesn't mean a dime anymore.

At first I was outraged she got all 4 Yes's, but then it was a funny, but cold, laugh. Ridiculous. I bet the judges were afraid to say No because the woman mentioned the President. And she wanted to be a "dancer" for Obama... yeah. I don't need to think much on what that means. Wow.

And for the woman who satirized God... get off TV please. Set an example for your kids, because you're not doing a pretty job. Litter bug, too. (She threw her Audition tag name on the ground. Grow some dignity. Geez.

The little kid at the end was charming. but I can't see him making it far. I hope they don't make it too hard on him, but I believe he'll leave with integrity; especially with all the terminal illness talk he's been through.

The ASL teacher was incredible. Cute face, too. I felt so happy he made it, and that he's so close with his mom and dad who are both deaf. That's pretty insane.

Guitar man was good, but watch out, we got us a WGWG in Hollywood.

RL1

RL1

Fanatic

Posted Jan 31, 2013 @ 11:42 PM

Zonette......did she have ashy ankles or used a lot of drugs in her day?

corvus13

corvus13

Stalker

Posted Feb 1, 2013 @ 12:01 AM

Why did they put through Zonette? I honestly don't understand that.

They were really rude throughout the show tonight. Laughing at the redheaded guy at the beginning, laughing at the ventriloquist, laughing at God-girl. Just shut up and stop being dicks.

Hard to believe that Caden is 16, he looks a lot younger than that. But his Dad doesn't look like the father of a 16-year-old, either.

whee whee piggy

whee whee piggy

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 1, 2013 @ 12:21 AM

If three out of the four judges weren't African-American, I'd call it straight up racist to put through that squalling hot mess. She was basically every bad stereotype that your Tea Bagger crazy uncle screams about on your FB feed, and then they give her what, 10 minutes of air time? What was the point? Oh, she'll ruin some legit contestant's chance in Hollywood by ruining their group sing.

And I will burn in hell, but CF boy (Cadence? Kaden?) seemed a bit...Practiced. Everyone was so pretty/handsome/wonderful/nice. I did giggle at Mariah giving him the tiniest side eye when he was pourin' that suga' on her. His voice may be good--it just seemed weak for the few seconds of singing. He's very cute, though.

contessakitty

contessakitty

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 1, 2013 @ 1:31 AM

I dated a man who died of CF, it is a nasty disease and definitely terminal. It may be hard for him endurance wise but if Caden can do it, more power to him.

I liked the ventriloquist and thought her voice was pretty good though I liked it better when "I Want To Be A Cowboy Sweetheart" was sung by Gracia Harison on The Voice.

Loved the ASL teacher.

Don't understand why they chose Zonette.

Cherry Wire

Cherry Wire

Fanatic

Posted Feb 1, 2013 @ 3:19 AM

It really seemed like like Idol was the most exciting thing to happen to Oklahoma in awhile, which is a little sad. At least the state does have legit musical roots. Good for Keith for pointing that out.

I liked the ventriloquist girl! It's safe to say that the show is getting very risk-averse (as seen in its desperate attempts to force contestants into boxes). Is it that bad if someone who's not part of a predetermined storyline gets through to Hollywood? or the top 40? or the top 10?

That anthem-singing girl really should have been deported to Uzbekistan immediately.

luvbadTV

luvbadTV

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 1, 2013 @ 7:59 AM

They were really rude throughout the show tonight. Laughing at the redheaded guy at the beginning, laughing at the ventriloquist, laughing at God-girl. Just shut up and stop being dicks

With all their hatred of bullying, their behavior is a bit too bully-ish and mean girls for me.

limecoke

limecoke

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 1, 2013 @ 2:17 PM

Note to 2014 auditioners: Say you're singing for Obama and scream your way through a song.

Good job judges.

MandoMaid

MandoMaid

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 1, 2013 @ 3:21 PM

Steven in drag = Melissa Rivers. Good to know.

Yes, but are her legs that scrawny? I wanted him to sing.

Anthem girl was sent through only because she's going to be hell in Hollywood. Hope she doesn't mess up some legitimate contestant's chances.

Loved the ASL teacher. And now I know the sign for "superstar."

Also really enjoyed the redhead. His James Brown song was over the top, but I liked his original.

Ventriloquist girl was awesome - beautiful clear tone and great pitch. Glad she got to do a song without the puppet too. The clip at the end with "will yodel for food" was hysterical. The one of the legs in the dumpster, not so much. You got the laugh already, AI, now stop.

Wonder if God punished the girl who threw her tag all over the parking lot?

Edited by MandoMaid, Feb 1, 2013 @ 3:22 PM.

scowl

scowl

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 1, 2013 @ 3:29 PM

I was hoping that instead of having Oscar begging for change after the audition, they'd follow him with the camera and he'd scream about how the stupid judges don't know good yodelling when they hear it, and how they won't let a puppet through because they want a stupid teeny-bopper, followed by a classic "Get that <blip>ing camera outta my <blip>ing face!"

MandoMaid

MandoMaid

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 1, 2013 @ 3:31 PM

scowl, now that would've been damn funny.

corvus13

corvus13

Stalker

Posted Feb 1, 2013 @ 5:14 PM

Is the redheaded guy the first WGWG they've shown us being put through?

LennieB

LennieB

Fanatic

Posted Feb 1, 2013 @ 7:12 PM

Is the redheaded guy the first WGWG they've shown us being put through?

Yes, except for Kez, the "'G' is for 'Girl'" WGWG. :-)

Edited by LennieB, Feb 1, 2013 @ 7:15 PM.

backformore

backformore

Fanatic

Posted Feb 2, 2013 @ 1:54 AM

Why did they put through Zonette? I honestly don't understand that.

I thought she was awful. And possibly mentally ill. Her otfit was bizarre, especially the skirt cut so short the panty part of her pantyhose was showing. The outfit, hair, and makeup all gave the vibe of a cheap, scary hooker. Maybe they want to make sure they have drama, hysterics and fighting when it comes to the group songs.

THe boy with CF - I thought his voice had that weird squeak that boys sometimes get just when their voice starts changing. I did n't like listening to him. It was clear he got through on sympathy, not talent.
I remember the first week of auditions, the guy with the artifical leg, who I thought was great, but the judges didn't like. Now, they're putting through people who are just mediocre, based on personality alone.

Mycenaeus

Mycenaeus

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 2, 2013 @ 3:04 AM

I think that Nicki is the primary reason Zonette got put through to Hollywood.

Nicki loved her, but I don't think the rest of the panel had any idea what to make of her. Zonette seemed to have a decent voice under all that crazy.

When it came time for the judges to vote, Nicki cleverly did one of those "one-two-three- YES!" things that they sometimes do, with Nicki's yes being the most audible one. Even on her way out, it was unclear to me whether Zonette was getting a ticket. I don't think the judges even knew. Heck, I don't think Zonette even knew.

Whoever was responsible for handing out golden tickets gave her one, and as she opened the door on her way out we saw that she had one. So Nicki is mostly responsible for getting Zonette to Hollywood. Same can be said for Papa Peaches. Although, to be fair, the passive judging from the other three was also responsible.

I can't help but feel sorry for the groups that get stuck with Zonette and Peaches in Hollywood.

RL1

RL1

Fanatic

Posted Feb 2, 2013 @ 9:49 AM

Frankly, I am getting fed up with these sob stories. "My life was crap!" "I was so unpopular!" "Everybody laughed at me!" Please, spare me the drama. Throughout my time growing up, I never had this problem at all. I mean, I feel sorry for the boy with CF, but his singing is really average. I remember when I tried for singing back in junior high and when I was rejected by the music teacher, I didn't go on a tantrum. I was like, "Okay, fine. Thanks, anyway!" I realize I didn't have the gift, but I didn't care. I was happy with myself and when I see these rather sad hopefuls that give this, "I have this gift that my mother said I had and you are turning me down" BS, I just roll my eyes. It's like, "Please, are you kidding me?" Sorry, just needed that off my chest.

Edited by RL1, Feb 2, 2013 @ 5:44 PM.

BogoGog24

BogoGog24

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 2, 2013 @ 11:42 AM

I agree that they really should do away with the whole sob story thing. The boy with CF for example- okay his story is sad and inspiring and all, but let's face it, his voice was quite average and he was put through because the judges felt sorry for him and also because he could be another Justin Bieber. Unfortunately on this show they pick sometimes mediocre contestants because they know they will be popular amongst the tween girls who will vote like crazy.

I think the reason why Zoanette got put through was because she clearly knew how to sing, but she chose the wrong song and did it way too over the top. I think she can really sing though if she chooses a better song and maybe tones it down a little. And of course they like to put outrageous people through for drama or ratings.

I can't remember if the military guy Matt with the "miracle baby" Cadence was on this episode or the previous night's, but a recent article came out saying it was all a lie. Some group that inspects military stories or something contacted people who knew the guy and one person said the medications Matt took that made him sterile were medications that stopped these seizures he was having from using an unauthorized acne medication along with unauthorized alcohol. And Matt eventually admitted that he lied about it. Apparently he is not on the show anymore, but we don't know if he was kicked off for lying or if he simply got eliminated in Hollywood Week like everyone else.

On a side note, I really enjoyed the guy who has deaf parents. He seems like a nice, normal, sweet, and interesting guy with a decent voice.

Kali12

Kali12

Fanatic

Posted Feb 2, 2013 @ 3:58 PM

I definitely thought Zonette was mentally ill--emotions all over the place and I thought she was genuinely angry the President hadn't invited her to the inauguration. She was strange, untalented, rude and...I have no idea why those jerks put her through (except, perhaps, so they can laugh at her some more).

I loved the ventriloquist and Oscar--understand why she left him with AI, laughed at the "will sing for food" or whatever sign...but did they HAVE to leave him face down into a dumpster? That was just sad.

The boy with CF was pretty, but too "smooth" imo to be genuinely charming. I never like seeing kids (or anyone, really) working a line that you can tell has worked for them ("You're so handsome/talented/amazing!) so many times before. I thought "modest enthusiasm" would have worked better.

Loved Matteus on "The Glee Project" but I don't think he'll last long on AI.

backformore

backformore

Fanatic

Posted Feb 2, 2013 @ 5:09 PM

When it came time for the judges to vote, Nicki cleverly did one of those "one-two-three- YES!" things that they sometimes do, with Nicki's yes being the most audible one

When they do that 1-2-3- YES! it makes me think that, for some of these contestants, it's been decided already whether or not they're going to Hollywood. Zonette was one of the craziest contestants, and Nicki says "I'm obsessed with you!" Why?

Mycenaeus

Mycenaeus

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 2, 2013 @ 5:57 PM

Well the 1-2-3-YES/NO! thing is acceptable if the contestant clearly has what it takes to make it through to Hollywood. Likewise, if the contestant clearly does not have what it takes then there is really no reason to have each judge say no.

But their use of the 1-2-3 vote seems to be pretty random. I have a feeling that if Zonette had gotten individual votes from each judge, she may not have made it through. At the most, she would have went to a deadlock. I don't think Randy or Keith would have put her through. Mariah is a bit of a softy though, so who knows.

argrow

argrow

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 2, 2013 @ 6:47 PM

If you look closely, Mariah didn't even mouthed a yes during Zonette's 1-2-3 vote, so yeah, I have a feeling Zonette would not have been through if Nicki has not been there and be all you're special cause you're weird.

Mariah even commented 'it's a wreck' to Keith after the fact.

BogoGog24

BogoGog24

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 2, 2013 @ 9:26 PM

" But it wouldn't have mattered if Mariah was the only judge to say no because she would have been outvoted anyway.

Edited by BogoGog24, Feb 2, 2013 @ 9:27 PM.

RL1

RL1

Fanatic

Posted Feb 2, 2013 @ 9:46 PM

What would Zonette be wearing at the Hollywood auditions? On second thought, I don't want to know.

And on the singing thing I did, let's just say I thought I could be the next Jordan Knight. What was I thinking? I sang a Boyz II Men song and let's just leave it at that. That was my 90s phase. I was an arcade-obsessed/video game lover at that time. I worn clothes identical to the Boy Meets World cast at that time. In fact, everybody had. I could tell you more, but I'll stop right there.

Edited by RL1, Feb 2, 2013 @ 9:53 PM.

Sparkling Beth

Sparkling Beth

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 3, 2013 @ 11:44 AM

When they do that 1-2-3- YES! it makes me think that, for some of these contestants, it's been decided already whether or not they're going to Hollywood. Zonette was one of the craziest contestants, and Nicki says "I'm obsessed with you!" Why?

Does Nicki know the meaning of the word "obsessed"? Because I don't think you can really count something you became familiar with two minutes ago as an obsession. She didn't even have time to write Zonette's name all over the cover of a notebook.

Northwester

Northwester

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 4, 2013 @ 1:44 AM

The 1-2-3 Yes thing needs to be done very sparingly, and only contestants who are head and shoulders above everyone else. When Nicki launched into her "1-2-3" for a moment I wasn't sure if they were going to be yelling "yes" or "no." If the voting was legitimate, and not preordained by TPTB, I'm sure there would've been at least one "no" and probably two. It seems that each season it seems they put through at least one nut job just to guarantee drama during Hollywood Week and have someone to laugh at. But even by those standards, Zonette was OTT.

I swear that during the course of her Obama rant she said that he was "acting white because he was in the White House," or something similar. At that moment they had a ripping sound on the music track and cut to Randy with a WTF look on his face.

The only back story I didn't find annoying was the ASL teacher with the deaf parents, because it was presented an as an upbeat story, there was no plea for sympathy, and the guy did a nice job singing "For Once in My Life," (though he ran out breadth a bit at the end.)

I feel sorry for the young man with CF and his parents, who all seem like nice people, but the kid CAN NOT SING. To parphrase Katey Perry (something I never imaginged I'd want to do), is this a singing contest or a Lifetime movie? I think his selection might lead to some unpleasant awkwardness during Hollywood Week. And If TPTB keep him around for the human interest story and he reaches the voting phase, it could get ugly, as sympathy and tween votes save him over much better singers.

Mariah's comment about the girls falling over for him seemed a little creepy to me. He's a 16 year old who looks and sounds like he's 12. So what age girl is he supposed to be appealing to?

Mycenaeus

Mycenaeus

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 5, 2013 @ 12:14 AM

I agree that the CF kid didn't really have that great of a voice. After his story, we know the guy has around 10-15 more years of life left. I hate when the judges put people through based on just their back story, but I will admit that even I would have a problem saying no to this kid. I don't think he will make it onto the show, but they let him have a golden ticket and an all expense paid trip to Hollywood.

As for Mariah's response, it *was* kind of creepy. In her defense though, I think she was put on the spot and had to come up with some kind of compliment after he laid down the sweet talk about how she is looking great and how he loves her bling. So she said he was very charming and he would get all the ladies.

RL1

RL1

Fanatic

Posted Feb 5, 2013 @ 7:40 AM

I don't think the CF kid would make it, but we will see. He was just given the pity vote. Zonette.....would not make it all.