12-5: "Auditions: 5" 2013.01.30

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

40 replies to this topic

TWoP Tennison

TWoP Tennison

Fanatic

• Interests:Moderating

Posted Jan 30, 2013 @ 10:42 PM

Discussion thread.

Edited by TWoP Tennison, Jan 30, 2013 @ 10:43 PM.

mojoween

mojoween

Fanatic

Posted Jan 30, 2013 @ 11:24 PM

No one wowed me but I did like hearing Phillip at the end.

Keith made me giggle when he said Nicki would have put screaming Adele through to Hollywood.

I'm not sure if this is what she was going for, but my 15 year son old said that Mariah's dress was very revealing. It sure was. She looked completely different in that blue dress than in the other three outfits. And not in a flattering way.

Oh yeah, there was singing. Where are the hot guys?

Chocorokoroko

Chocorokoroko

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 31, 2013 @ 12:43 AM

Missed the last half of the show tonight as usual, but from the first half: damn, those ladies can carry a note VERY well. Incredible.

But other than that, nobody I saw stood out for me.

That girl who was nominated by her husband; bleh, she was trying a little too hard. I doubt she'll make it too far, up till Hollywood.

corvus13

corvus13

Stalker

Posted Jan 31, 2013 @ 1:00 AM

I was hoping that the mom who was sobbing before she even started singing would be bad, so she wouldn't have to grate on our emotions any more. Just sing, please.

And that goes for the sob stories. Don't want to hear them. Sing.

Matheus was on the Glee Project, but wasn't chosen for Glee.

LennieB

LennieB

Fanatic

Posted Jan 31, 2013 @ 6:45 AM

Overcoming a seeming obstacle (stuttering, messed-up throat, over-weight, under-height, poverty, what have you), to reach for the stars is part of the "American Dream" tradition, like the stages of a Greek mythic hero!

Tonight I very much liked Savannah ("At Last"), Big Adam, Mariachi Victoria, Shubha Vedula, Captain Jazz Singer Girl, Micah No-Tonsils, and somewhat liked Papa Peachez and Matheus Hicks-and-Lambert-Put-Paid-to-"A-Change-is-Gonna-Come".

Edited by LennieB, Jan 31, 2013 @ 6:47 AM.

luvbadTV

luvbadTV

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 31, 2013 @ 7:35 AM

Overcoming a seeming obstacle (stuttering, messed-up throat, over-weight, under-height, poverty, what have you), to reach for the stars is part of the "American Dream" tradition, like the stages of a Greek mythic hero!

I'm sick of hearing how people were bullied. Yes I know it's a big issue & an awful thing, but it seems like the go-to for someone that may not really have a sob story.

NickyPick

NickyPick

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 31, 2013 @ 7:36 AM

Niky was very quiet this episode. She seemed a bit pissed, too. Are these auditions played in the same order they went to the cities?

Liked Adam and Micah very much. The screaming Adele girl- was that a serious audition or was she making a point of some sort?

tick talk

tick talk

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 31, 2013 @ 10:07 AM

I was shocked by the guy with the speech impediment caused by surgery. What a surprise when he sang. However, the highlight of the show for me was seeing Cortez Shaw in the previews for the Oklahoma City auditions!

melissa1925

melissa1925

Fanatic

Posted Jan 31, 2013 @ 10:08 AM

I really hope that "screaming Adele" was just kidding and doesn't really have huge mental issues, because DAMN!

smartbunny

smartbunny

Video Archivist

• Interests:MST3K, Sopranos, My So-Called Life, Buffy, Sex & The City, Six Feet Under, Louie, Kids in the Hall, Project Runway, 30 Rock, The Simpsons, X-Files, VEEP, Seinfeld, WWE, Bosom Buddies.

Posted Jan 31, 2013 @ 11:08 AM

Screaming Adele Girl was clearly trying to say "F U" to American Idol like she's some Avril-level punk, but the joke's on her because she's the one that waited like 20 hours to get on TV and do something lame for 20 seconds. And Mariah had the funniest line after she left, "She also wants you to know that she plays piano and loves Los Angeles!" LOL MC.

OakGoblinfly

OakGoblinfly

Fanatic

• Interests:Book-devouring, SiFi-geeking, Anime-Watching, Hockey-Loving transplanted NY gal now living in Northern VA.

Posted Jan 31, 2013 @ 11:18 AM

Niky was very quiet this episode. She seemed a bit pissed, too. Are these auditions played in the same order they went to the cities?

Maybe she’s annoyed that Mariah and Keith started asserting themselves more and she (Nicki) is unhappy that she can no longer run roughshod over them. It was nice to see the two of them (Mariah and Keith) more engaged in the judging process.

I really hope that "screaming Adele" was just kidding and doesn't really have huge mental issues, because DAMN!

It looked like she broke part of the set too; for a brief moment I was worried for the people in that room.

I'm disappointed that Idol elected to show her "act" ....... by doing so they validate her actions and only encourage her to act like an imbecilic for the foreseeable future.

Overall not really impressed with any of the singers we saw; then again there are so many that it’s hard to sort them out. I do remember the tonsil guy and the former military guy – not so much for their singing but because of the stories. I think I remember the singing was good (which is relative because he hear so much bad that when you finally hear good you think it’s amazing when it really isn’t).

Edited by OakGoblinfly, Jan 31, 2013 @ 11:19 AM.

HelloPatti

HelloPatti

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 31, 2013 @ 11:27 AM

Matheus was on the Glee Project, but wasn't chosen for Glee.

Planty Planterson Matheus was so fake last night. I swear he wrote his lines at home and delivered them at his audition. I swear they addressed the reason for his "size" on the Glee Project but maybe I just assumed it. I just can't shake the image of him during the Glee Project pulling up his shirt during some performance - ack.

Is there anyone else out there that like Nikki Minaj? I do agree she was subdued last night, but she does crack me up.

Mariah needs to rope in those boobies a teensy bit - I swore they were going to break free and knock out the contestants.

Nidratime

Nidratime

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 31, 2013 @ 11:29 AM

And Mariah had the funniest line after she left, "She also wants you to know that she plays piano and loves Los Angeles!" LOL MC.

That was funny, but I thought she said that the girl wants you to know that she plays piano and loves ballet.

As for the rest of the show, a lot of good singers and the judges were pretty snappy as well. The only part that had me rolling my eyes was the whole Queen Mary being haunted bit.

OakGoblinfly

OakGoblinfly

Fanatic

• Interests:Book-devouring, SiFi-geeking, Anime-Watching, Hockey-Loving transplanted NY gal now living in Northern VA.

Posted Jan 31, 2013 @ 11:50 AM

As for the rest of the show, a lot of good singers and the judges were pretty snappy as well. The only part that had me rolling my eyes was the whole Queen Mary being haunted bit.

Well, they have to give Ryan something to do - other stalk the holding room that is.

I know FOX makes lots of money from Idol (even if there is a ratings slip) but still, do we really need SIX weeks of auditions and weeding out before the voting starts. Sometimes I wonder if it would be better start with 20 or so contestants, no audition tapes, no back stories, nothing, just show up, sing a song and let the audience vote. If FOX is so concerned with milking Idol for all it's worth, add more contestants (basically turning a lot of the audition, Hollywood, and Vegas episodes into competition episodes.

Edited by OakGoblinfly, Jan 31, 2013 @ 11:50 AM.

Chocorokoroko

Chocorokoroko

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 31, 2013 @ 12:40 PM

Holy freaking cow... that Stephanie girl. What the freak? XD

I do agree; Mariah's line at the end was hilarious. Rofl. Can't stop laughing. What a joke that girl was.

WordFreak

WordFreak

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 31, 2013 @ 12:49 PM

My favourite part of this episode was the wonderful few minutes when Nicki was absent from judging. I personally found it refreshing not to have to listen to her nasally, insincere, faux-Brit accented comments.

I'm getting bored of the auditions and am looking forward to epic meltdowns during Hollywood week. Bring it on!

SunFun

SunFun

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 31, 2013 @ 1:30 PM

My dear ol' Dad. When Screaming Adele's f*** you hand gestures were censored w/ the AI logo he asked:
"What were the signs she was holding?"

Innocent fella, my Dad.

Leighdear

Leighdear

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 31, 2013 @ 1:47 PM

Planty Planterson Matheus was so fake last night. I swear he wrote his lines at home and delivered them at his audition. I swear they addressed the reason for his "size" on the Glee Project but maybe I just assumed it. I just can't shake the image of him during the Glee Project pulling up his shirt during some performance - ack.

I saw him on Glee Project and wasn't impressed...saw him last night, wasn't impressed. He'll drag his sob story into any audition he can find, get some attention, but ultimately won't get far.

I wonder if the parents of these freak kids like "screaming Adele" are proud of what they've bred and unleased on the unsuspecting public.

MandoMaid

MandoMaid

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 31, 2013 @ 1:48 PM

What was the big deal about Papa Peaches? His voice was oh so average.

Loved Matheus (here and on the Glee Project) but hated the outfit. Dude, did you dress in the dark?

Mariah needs to dial it back on the boobage.

Loved the guy with the speech impediment. Rich, full tone.

Cherry Wire

Cherry Wire

Fanatic

Posted Jan 31, 2013 @ 1:58 PM

Screaming Adele was hilarious. I really wasn't expecting that when she started, then KABAM! Dear show: if you insist on these joke auditions, at least make them random and unexpected like that one.

I really liked Micah, he of the botched tonsil surgery. Not sure if I'm imagining things or if his speaking voice actually sounded better after he was done singing. Clearly singing does good things for that guy.

Also liked Mattheus and Rebecca Hale from Middleofnowhere, Arkansas. Of the two Arkansas girls, she can stay and the pageant-looking chick can go.

MandoMaid

MandoMaid

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 31, 2013 @ 2:36 PM

Also liked Mattheus and Rebecca Hale from Middleofnowhere, Arkansas. Of the two Arkansas girls, she can stay and the pageant-looking chick can go.

Word. Pageant chick sounded like, well, a pageant chick. Pretty but not much substance.

Wasn't it Rachel Hale? At any rate, I liked her too. Very genuine. Great pitch.

corvus13

corvus13

Stalker

Posted Jan 31, 2013 @ 2:45 PM

It's a genre of music called Screamo. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screamo

ari333

ari333

Fanatic

Posted Jan 31, 2013 @ 3:41 PM

It seems that they've cut down on the really pathetic ones. I still could do without the sad backstories.

contessakitty

contessakitty

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 31, 2013 @ 4:27 PM

Can someone here tell me how Tonsils guy can barely speak but can sing so well?

Mystery

Mystery

Fanatic

Posted Jan 31, 2013 @ 5:01 PM

I was wondering that, too. I guess maybe you use your vocal cords in a different way? The way Jim Nabors could speak in a high voice and then sing the way he does.

I liked Jeseia (sp?) the girl who was auditioning when they had the fire alarm. She's very young, and was a little precious with that "captain" stuff, but I really liked her voice and her singing style.

BadLilSister

BadLilSister

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 31, 2013 @ 6:42 PM

It's a genre of music called Screamo. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screamo

I wish I could return to a time when I was blissfully unaware that such a genre existed and had not been assaulted by an example of said genre.

yourpointis

yourpointis

Fanatic

Posted Jan 31, 2013 @ 7:48 PM

Via rickey.org Stephanie Sanson - Screamer has auditioned for X Factor and America's Got Talent.

RL1

RL1

Fanatic

Posted Jan 31, 2013 @ 8:22 PM

Dear Mariah,

You are not 20 years old anymore. Learn to dress appropriate for now on.

sofaspud

sofaspud

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 31, 2013 @ 10:16 PM

I was wondering that, too. I guess maybe you use your vocal cords in a different way? The way Jim Nabors could speak in a high voice and then sing the way he does.

Actually I don't think it was his vocal folds that were nicked. He mentioned nerve damage and my guess is that when he sings, he's louder than his speaking voice so he's moving those articulators in a more exaggerated way, improving his intelligibility.
If it had damaged his vocal folds, his voice would be affected (EX. Hoarse or breathy, etc) not his articulation.

cerealboxkiller

cerealboxkiller

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 31, 2013 @ 11:44 PM

Ugh, this was the most boring one. I miss non-comatose Nicki (I can't believe I just said that).