Season 16 General Gabbery

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

1075 replies to this topic

missysays

missysays

Channel Surfer

Posted May 18, 2013 @ 10:14 PM

Sure, Val.  Just like that paso that was supposed to be the greatest in the history of the show.

You know, I actually do think that the paso that Val and Zendaya danced this season was one of the most unique pasos that I've seen on DWTS. The choreography was really interesting with its flamenco flavor and pared down street feel to it. I also felt that Zendaya and Val brought this real sort of animal presence to the dance. I really enjoyed it and thought for sure that it was a 10 dance so was amazed when the judges all marked it down. That was really an instance where I didn't know what they were seeing differently.

I can get that they didn't like the quickstep but for me that paso was pretty amazing. So I agree with Val there.

dzidas

dzidas

Couch Potato

Posted May 19, 2013 @ 5:25 AM

You know, I actually do think that the paso that Val and Zendaya danced this season was one of the most unique pasos that I've seen on DWTS.

I second that. I think it was one of the best and most exciting pasos I've seen on any season or version of DWTS. Sure, Zendaya could have held her chin a little bit higher (I can't remember what the other two said, but I bet it was pointless as usual) but considering how other couples got perfect tens for routines that weren't even near this paso, in terms of difficulty, performance, execution etc etc, this one sure as hell deserved a perfect 30. I was really surprised with the actual score. Another thing that really struck me about this particular routine, was the level of difficulty – the long side by side sections were done perfectly in sync and there was just so much dance content in there.

Now when I think about it, I would also like to see Zendaya & Val re-do their paso as the judges' choice, but I guess samba isn't that bad either.

superdeluxe

superdeluxe

Video Archivist

Posted May 19, 2013 @ 7:03 AM

I really think Zendaya is a lock to win. I think she is running away with the votes, and that previous Disney stars just didn't register like she does, for whatever reason. Also, once the whole "insta" and 'put on the spot' dances start, I think she will handle them the best, or is most likely to get through all that without falling apart.

I don't know about running away with the votes, but I can't see TPTB allowing anyone other than Zendaya to win.  This whole season was set up to cater to her and launch her career as the next big Disney star.  And I think she expects it, too, based on how she was acting when she was put in jeopardy.

You know, I actually do think that the paso that Val and Zendaya danced this season was one of the most unique pasos that I've seen on DWTS.

When Val was running his mouth all week, talking about how their paso will be the greatest in the history of the show, I was preparing myself to be amazed.  I expected to be blown away.  That didn't happen.  Now he's saying that he wants their freestyle to give you chills?  Whatever, Val.

Sunnyheart

Sunnyheart

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2013 @ 7:46 AM

You know, I actually do think that the paso that Val and Zendaya danced this season was one of the most unique pasos that I've seen on DWTS. The choreography was really interesting with its flamenco flavor and pared down street feel to it.

I think the biggest problem with Val and Zendaya's paso was Zendaya's costume.  It looked way too young and innocent  - if she had been wearing a more sophisticated dress, the paso would have looked much better.  For me, it's an example of how costuming and staging can mar the overall effect of the dance.

I can see Kellie handling the instant dances well as a singer, she has great musicality. Call me crazy, but I really hope the final 2 is Kellie and Zendaya, it's the best 2 dancers this season.

I agree that Zendaya and Kellie should be the final two - I think it's a tossup as to who will win.  I'm okay with a win by either, but I think at this point I would like Val and Zendaya to take it.  They have really done a spectacular job all season with very few missteps.

Edited by Sunnyheart, May 19, 2013 @ 7:47 AM.

OldAndCranky

OldAndCranky

Just Tuned In

Posted May 19, 2013 @ 8:56 AM

(snip)

That being said, the Freestyles have been underwhelming in past years.  I'm just hoping Derek lets us see Kellie's feet in the QS.  I have no doubt she is great at it, so the fog Derek has clouded her with all season annoys me.

Aly has improved a lot, but she really isn't musical.  My tolerance of gymnastic moves in dance is about the same as my jump-over-partner tolerance - the moves should be used sparingly to increase their impact.  Jacoby has a huge personality, but he doesn't seem to consider the requirements of the dance to be all that important - just being Jacoby seems to be sufficient for him (and Being Jacoby is quite endearing, but I would like more content).

ETA:  If they are going to keep the new dances, I wish they'd give us a tutorial on what to look for, as they did with the traditional dances years ago.

Edited by TWoP Lockley, May 19, 2013 @ 9:57 AM.
boards on boards

dzidas

dzidas

Couch Potato

Posted May 19, 2013 @ 9:23 AM

According to this interview, Jacoby's judges' pick dance is the Jive. I expect tens from Bruno and CAI but wonder if Len's going to call him out on his footwork again (unless Jacoby improves it of course). And just like in previous seasons, this season there's only one Ballroom dance in the finals, not to mention they seem to have got rid of the Waltz altogether.

spanana

spanana

Stalker

Posted May 19, 2013 @ 10:20 AM

Now he's saying that he wants their freestyle to give you chills?  Whatever, Val.

Val didn't quite say that IMO.  He said he wanted their dancing to give you chills and that's how he knows they did their job.  I also think there is a big perspective difference between saying "wants" and saying "will".  I'd like to think they all want to dance to the best of their ability and put on a good show.  Nothing wrong with that.

Freestyles all make me nervous.  I really do think Zendaya and Kellie deserve to be the Top 2, even if I want Z to win.  I won't be particularly pleased if either Aly or Jacoby sneak into the Top 2, though I won't be surprised.   It does sound like Derek is going in the right direction for Kellie IMO in terms of freestyle.  The other 3 are going high energy and to me that isn't Kellie's strength as compared to the others.  Plus it might set her apart.  I know Jacoby and Zendaya are using extra dancers, but I have no idea on Aly & Kellie.

I do think it's interesting they gave both Zendaya and Aly the samba.  Not that I think it's a bad dance for either of them.  They are just so different.  Z is likely to be all technique and Aly will just shimmy all over the place--and then likely get the same scores from the judges.  In the clip in the above interview, Z/V were going over their cha cha, which did mostly seem to be moves recycled from their previous routine.  No surprise there.

Sunnyheart

Sunnyheart

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2013 @ 10:38 AM

It does sound like Derek is going in the right direction for Kellie IMO in terms of freestyle.  The other 3 are going high energy and to me that isn't Kellie's strength as compared to the others.  Plus it might set her apart.

I absolutely loved Derek and Kellie's jazz - it was such a gorgeous, eye-popping dance for me.  Kellie's flexibility and her legs were incredible.  I would love for them to do a freestyle that had that same wow factor and played on those strengths.  Something different than the usual "look how crazy and energetic we are!" type of freestyle.  I agree that her best dances are the slower, more dramatic dances - the jazz, the AT, etc.  I hope Derek surprises us with something unexpected.

superdeluxe

superdeluxe

Video Archivist

Posted May 19, 2013 @ 11:06 AM

It does sound like Derek is going in the right direction for Kellie IMO in terms of freestyle.  The other 3 are going high energy and to me that isn't Kellie's strength as compared to the others.  Plus it might set her apart.

Yeah, but I can see those idiot judges call it boring and lackluster and give it 9s or 8s across the board.

spanana

spanana

Stalker

Posted May 19, 2013 @ 12:16 PM

Zendaya's sick apparently.  She claims she's fine, but was getting shots at urgent care this morning.  Wouldn't be surprised if she's not the only one.  They all have to be stressed out and exhausted at this point.

Not that I'm making excuses because they all have other things going on, but I don't think it's helped that she's been doing her state testing this past week as well.  If she's been studying too, I can't imagine she's gotten much sleep.

Edited by spanana, May 19, 2013 @ 12:43 PM.

missysays

missysays

Channel Surfer

Posted May 19, 2013 @ 12:21 PM

Well, it looks like a wrench might be thrown into the proceedings. Zendaya just tweeted that she went to urgent care and had to get three shots. It appears that she's still going to dance though just trying to rest in between camera blocking today.

Yikes!

Hope she feels better soon.

Hahaha!! I think spanana's post and mine must have crossed in the airwaves. ;-)

Edited by missysays, May 19, 2013 @ 12:22 PM.

Mickey2309Mouse

Mickey2309Mouse

Channel Surfer

Posted May 19, 2013 @ 12:28 PM

It seems like this happens every season as of late. They are working these pros and celebs way to hard these days. They need to lay off all the dances they throw at these people and just let them have two dances for the finals, IMO. I hate it when the pros and celebs get sick or injured. Their bodies can only handle so much wear and tear. :(

renzii

renzii

Just Tuned In

Posted May 19, 2013 @ 12:58 PM

A few days ago, Kat Tales (the paparazzi video person who haunts the DWTS carpark) did tweet that she saw one of them puking in the carpark. She claimed she was too sensitive to film it and she did not reveal the name. Maybe it was Zendaya... who also tweeted a video of herself gorging, if you can call it that, on salad and vegetarian pizza at about 10 last night after a full day of rehearsals. I guess Val may need to bring more ice cream?

Edited by renzii, May 19, 2013 @ 12:59 PM.

superdeluxe

superdeluxe

Video Archivist

Posted May 19, 2013 @ 8:10 PM

So, Zendaya is sick.  Could she be using that for sympathy?  I can already see Carrie Ann bringing it up on the show.

crowceilidh

crowceilidh

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2013 @ 9:14 PM

Oh I'm sure she's being sick to get sympathy out of the feebleminded people who can't see through her machinations - there is no end to Zendaya's cunning manipulativeness...

Edited by crowceilidh, May 20, 2013 @ 12:56 AM.

spanana

spanana

Stalker

Posted May 19, 2013 @ 11:36 PM

Zendaya has strep throat, so she should be fine.  I'm assuming they gave her a heavy dose of antibiotics this morning.  Though good luck to Val and anybody else that was around her today and in Val's case, everyday before that.  Not that there was much they could really do about it.  It's not like they could skip camera blocking and rehearsal one day before the finale.

tip and fall

tip and fall

Stalker

Posted May 20, 2013 @ 9:07 AM

Considering how contagious strep throat can be, I bet this was Zendaya's plan all along: She's gonna take out the competition by coughing on them. Well played, Z.

JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 20, 2013 @ 12:12 PM

Yeah, but I can see those idiot judges call [Kellie's freestyle] boring and lackluster and give it 9s or 8s across the board.

I would put money on that not happening.  They haven't broken out the 8 paddles for a freestyle since Bristol's first season.  Even if you buy the idea of a fix being in, the producers have to at least maintain a veneer of legitimacy.

Sunnyheart

Sunnyheart

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2013 @ 1:03 PM

I would put money on that not happening.

ITA.  They are usually handing 30s out like candy during the finals.  The winner is almost always left up to the viewers to decide.

McManda

McManda

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2013 @ 2:27 PM

And since it seems like they've been giving out 30s like candy in the last week or two ... I don't see that changing for the finale.

Edited by McManda, May 20, 2013 @ 2:28 PM.

tip and fall

tip and fall

Stalker

Posted May 20, 2013 @ 9:34 PM

So tomorrow Psy's actually going to be performing live? About a season too late, IMO. 

voiceover

voiceover

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2013 @ 12:49 AM

Is tomorrow night also when the Boston Marathoner will be performing -- or did I miss that?

Serendi

Serendi

Couch Potato

Posted May 21, 2013 @ 1:12 AM

The woman who lost her foot at the Boston Marathon will perform "whenever she's ready" (per Tom). This season is too soon, but she seems like someone with a lot of drive, so maybe next season?

LauraLei13

LauraLei13

Couch Potato

Posted May 21, 2013 @ 11:37 AM

Sounds like Henry may be dancing with Dorothy as someone reported in Tristan's thread he had to go out of the country for a family emergency. I like Henry but will be sad not to see Tristan one more time this season.

voiceover

voiceover

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2013 @ 10:19 PM

The woman who lost her foot at the Boston Marathon will perform "whenever she's ready" (per Tom). This season is too soon, but she seems like someone with a lot of drive, so maybe next season? 

Thanks for the update.  It makes me a little sad all over again for her, but that's on me.  You're right: too soon.   She's in my prayers & I hope to see her next season.

TWoP Lockley

TWoP Lockley

Couch Potato

• Interests:Sewing, reading, yoga, performing arts, Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Posted May 22, 2013 @ 9:39 AM

READ THIS NOW IF YOU INTEND TO POST ANYWHERE IN THIS FORUM

Stop whining about how you feel Zendaya was "treated" by fans here or elsewhere. That's boards on boards commentary and is not allowed.

Stop expressing your sympathy for Zendaya for the "negativity" she must have experienced this season. That's boards on boards commentary and is not allowed.

Stop sniping at fellow posters who may not share your personal opinion of Zendaya. That's boards on boards and ill-mannered posting, both of which are not allowed.

Do please remember that just because someone makes a statement that is counter to your personal opinion, you should not take it personally. However, do report any post that crosses a line in that respect. 

The season is over people. Give. It. A. Rest.

Also, if you are a person who feels heartsick and upset over the "treatment" of Zendaya (well, frankly, if that's the case, you are probably far too invested in a silly TV show), I would encourage you to more closely cling to the many positive comments about her. There are quite a few lovely posts about her in the episode thread.

Along those lines, I am going to ask every single one of you to remember that this happens every single season. There is always at least one polarizing contestant, for whatever reason. This site is designed to allow a free exchange of thoughts and yes criticism and negativity. My suggestion to you before the next season airs is to re-consider whether or not you are too sensitive to handle seeing people you don't even know criticized and judge for yourself whether this site is for you. Because there will never be a blanket rule or censorship that requires posters to be "nice" to the participants.