4-4: "The Bird Has Flown" 2013.01.29

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

101 replies to this topic

virgo79

virgo79

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 1, 2013 @ 11:59 AM

I kind of wonder if on some level, Raylan's sabotaging his own chances of being a hands-on father. (Not out of lack of desire to have a child, but because his father's the freaking Devil and it's messing with him.)

benteen

benteen

Stalker

Posted Feb 1, 2013 @ 3:27 PM

I must be very cold hearted. It seemed to me that the most practical option was to kill Ellie May.

You're not the only one. The fact that she kept blabbing about it to Ava with people within earshot proves that she's dangerously stupid to both Ava and Boyd. I can respect her wanting to go "legit" but show some loyalty to Ava for blowing that guy away by not saying anything.

WickedTuna

WickedTuna

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 1, 2013 @ 5:46 PM

I have goldfish memory -- did it even show Boyd having been the one on the phone with Colt? I was thinking they showed him hanging up after the call, but now I think I'm wrong.

I think Colt said something like 'Are you sure Ava?' so she was the one on the phone if I'm remembering right.

Also I swear, give me $20K cash and an hour, and I'll hide it so nobody will find it, easy. Putting it in the sock drawer was idiotic.

I'd probably hide it so well I wouldn't be able to find it again.

Atomic Clock

Atomic Clock

Fanatic

Posted Feb 2, 2013 @ 1:29 PM

I have goldfish memory -- did it even show Boyd having been the one on the phone with Colt?

It showed Colt taking the call, but we didn't see both sides of the conversation. When Colt hung up, he told Ellen May that Ava called and wanted her back at Audrey's.

In rewatching that scene, it's pretty ambiguous as to who actually gave the order to have Ellen May killed. My guess is that it was a joint decision.

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Feb 2, 2013 @ 6:01 PM

Raylan lost $20K

I don't think this is right. You'll correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember him telling Lindsey he got paid 10K for the job in ep one. They paid 20K fo the chickens, yes; I think the other 10K was Randall's from the fight.

And all Raylan told Rachel is that it was 'a goodly sum'.

mrk63

mrk63

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 2, 2013 @ 7:26 PM

I think it was all his. Jody Adair wasn't his first rodeo. Raylan added the money he got from Sharon Edmonds to other money in the drawer.

Edited by mrk63, Feb 2, 2013 @ 7:47 PM.

Luckylyn

Luckylyn

Fanatic

Posted Feb 3, 2013 @ 8:25 PM

Was the name of this episode supposed to be a reference to Norwegian Wood (This bird has flown) by The Beatles? I think the lyric, "I once had a girl or should I say she once had me," really fits the episode really well.

thatguy01

thatguy01

Fanatic

Posted Feb 3, 2013 @ 8:37 PM

Lotsa people sabotage their careers because their personal lives are a mess, or because they just can't bring themselves to care despite how losing their careers will further contribute to the downward spiral.

starchild215

starchild215

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 4, 2013 @ 3:47 AM

I don't Ella Mae had a clue she was being sent to the slaughter. Someone upthread mentioned that Cassie may have grabbed her. Could be.

There are no insignificant "Justified" episodes.

I loved Raylan and Rachel together. Everytime we see Rachel have to deal with the good people of Harlan County she has to deal with someone who sees her as helpless. She whacked the guy with the nightstick good and he respected her after that. Raylan looked like "well she told you to keep that sh*t out of her face so you got what was coming to you." The two characters have come so far from Season 1 where she tried od on his hat when she thought he was asleep. They get each other now.

That last scene with Colton was awesome. He's not a mindless goon like some of those in Boyd's employ. I just hope Ella Mae didn't get it in her head that it was really okay for her to go back to Audrey's.

supposebly

supposebly

Fanatic

Posted Feb 5, 2013 @ 11:25 AM

Through a fake friendship she could pump Ellen May for information about Boyd's business. I assumed that was why Ellen May was so reluctant to leave even though Ava was giving her money and a new job out of town.

I figured that was true as well. Still, Ellen May's happiness was more than just relief to be able to keep spying on Ava and Boyd. I think it was genuine happiness to be home.
My lord, the woman has been used and abused all her life and doesn't know anything else. This is what she considers she wants because that's all she is used to. The actress has done a phenomenal job unflinchingly portraying this person who has not an ounce of self-respect in her bone.

I do believe that Ava wanted her to be free of this life while at the same time was almost as afraid as Ellen May must feel for most of her life. And that fear let her to that decision. I imagine the conversation with Boyd went like this: He might have seen how afraid she was, talked about the practicality of it, she finally agrees and then one of them made the call. I think what we see after that is the continuation of the discussion before the phone call.
I don't excuse her but long periods of abuse leave their mark and let's not forget, this is a life Ava is very familiar with.

As to Raylan's stupidity when it comes to Lindsey and the money, I believe there is a good reason why he would be that way. I mean a better reason than, "it's funny, just run with it!"
His mother died and he put her on a pedestal and blamed his father for it. And then Helen was the one to take care of him. I don't find it that hard to believe that he has a huge blind spot there. It's the women in his life who are either his caretakers (in every sense) or people who need protecting/saving.
I still sometimes think about the scene in the pilot when he just breaks into Winona's house in the middle of the night. It just doesn't occur to him that she would call the police. He just doesn't expect them to hurt him, because in his world, it's the men who do the hurting. Also, I don't think it applies to any woman. He never made the mistake to underestimate Mags while respecting her right to self-preservation.
And leaving the money in the open might have been some sort of test for himself if he deserves to have it and for Lindsey if she is worth his love like Helen was. I think he should be clear on that now. ;)

Edited by supposebly, Feb 5, 2013 @ 11:30 AM.

ChipBach

ChipBach

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 5, 2013 @ 3:36 PM

If Ellie Mae is allowed to live and go free, they're going to separate prisons for probably the rest of their natural lives. And then Ellie Mae will almost certain do some other stupid thing and get herself killed anyway. Best to go ahead and put her down.

I agree with this. Ava saved EM from her continued beatings (actually, I think she was marked for death by her pimp). Ava was a hero. All EM had to do was keep her mouth shut. First she solicits a place in Dickie Bennett's organization after she knew he tried to kill Ava. Then EM makes a clumsy reference to having the goods on Ava for murder. She gotta go...

Goading the preacher to his death was a stupid move on Boyd's part. So was trusting a guy he hasn't been around
in years to kill EM.

My interpretation was that Boyd believed Cassie would have stopped the snake handling before anyone got hurt. My take was that once the preacher learned that his sister had been using his faith to manipulate him. he basically committed suicide...

Edited by ChipBach, Feb 5, 2013 @ 3:39 PM.

nicepebbles

nicepebbles

Fanatic

Posted Feb 18, 2013 @ 9:29 PM

My little heart was so happy to see Rachel get some screen time and for the R/R goodness. I loved their interactions. I forget who said it upthread about her curbing his destructiveness and he making sure she doesn't miss work. I was a bit confused about why Rachel would go the bar where she knows Raylan lives. Anyway, it got us what we got so I'm not complaining. I did love Art's like about Raylan being a lost cause. I hope the R/R stuff continues. Add some Tim in there somewhere and I'm happy.

Oh, Ellie Mae! I love the actress that plays her because she brings it every time. I feel EM and know that she had to go. Too stupid, naive, whatever to live. The only thing I wasn't feeling about her SL, and this is the writers' fault, is the "this is my home." I never got the impression from EM before then. And she was so ready to leave and get right with God. I expected her to jump at the chance to get out of town and get right. The only explanation that I can fanwank is after getting right with God didn't work out, she wanted to stay.

Having seen the next episode, I know how she gets away. Before I saw it, I couldn't believe that she had wised up. This is the woman that talks about Ava killing Delroy around other people after Ava told her to shut it.

I can't decide if Colton was uneasy about killing EM, just needed a hit because it was that time or killing EM made him need a hit.

I didn't like Ave the first two seasons. I could understand why she wanted to stay in Harlan yet I couldn't get with her decision to stay and then hook up with Boyd. WTF?!!? Towards the end of S2, her badassness started to shine through so I started liking her a bit. Making the decision to kill EM or just going along with it, seems to me to be par for the course. She can't expect to be by Boyd's side and not get her hands dirty except for good reasons. EM needed to be put down and I can respect her for making that decision. Cop out to have Boyd do it because it's of course something Boyd would do.

I didn't mind the Lindsey SL. Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention but I didn't see Raylan as being stupid. No more stupid/careless than he is when he's always going some place by himself to face whatever. The man's got a subconscious death wish or something. Or he just likes to get his ass kicked figuratively and literally because he thinks he deserves it. I love his character.