House Of Cards

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

339 replies to this topic

alynch

alynch

Fanatic

Posted Jan 27, 2013 @ 1:52 AM

The Netflix original series, from Media Rights Capital, "House of Cards," starring Academy Award®winner Kevin Spacey ("Horrible Bosses," "American Beauty"), Golden Globe®nominee Robin Wright ("The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo," "Forrest Gump") and Kate Mara ("American Horror Story") will be available for members to watch instantly beginning February 1, 2013. All 13-episodes of the drama series' first season will be available to Netflix members in territories where Netflix is available - North America, the UK, Ireland, Latin America and Scandinavia.

From director David Fincher ("The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo," "The Social Network"), award-winning playwright and Academy Award®nominated screenwriter Beau Willimon ("Farragut North," "The Ides of March") and Academy Award®winner Eric Roth ("Forrest Gump," "Munich"), "House of Cards" is based on the BBC miniseries of the same name. This wicked political drama slithers beneath the curtain and through the back halls of greed, sex, love and corruption in modern Washington D.C. An uncompromising exploration of power, ambition and the American way, the series orbits Francis Underwood (Spacey), the House Majority Whip. Underwood is the politician's politician - masterful, beguiling, charismatic and ruthless. He and his equally ambitious wife Claire (Wright) stop at nothing to ensure their ascendancy. In addition to Spacey, Wright and Mara, the series also stars Corey Stoll ("Midnight in Paris"), Kristen Connolly ("The Cabin in the Woods"), Michael Kelly ("The Adjustment Bureau") and Sakina Jaffrey ("Definitely Maybe").

Web Site

Trailer

This is Netflix's first real attempt at a major original series (nobody cares about Lillyhammer). When Fincher and Spacey went out selling this series to cable outlets, Netflix outbid everybody by committing $100 million to financing two full, 13-episode seasons based only on a pilot script. The reviews I've been reading so far have been pretty positive (Hollywood Reporter; Baltimore Sun), so I'm starting to get excited about this. The whole first season will be available this coming Friday, and if it turns out to be good I'll probably watch them all that weekend.

Edited by alynch, Jan 27, 2013 @ 1:55 AM.

Slade347

Slade347

Fanatic

Posted Jan 27, 2013 @ 2:56 AM

My initial interest in this is very personal, as my brother-in-law has a background role (one of a group singing Auld Lang Syne) in one of the episodes. But, the trailer definitely has my interest and with a strong cast and Fincher's involvement, I'm on board for at least a couple episodes.

kete

kete

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 27, 2013 @ 3:00 AM

Oh dear, another US rip off of an excellent BBC series.

http://www.amazon.co...l/dp/B00009MGGI

Scrb

Scrb

Fanatic

Posted Jan 27, 2013 @ 4:39 AM

Hmm, will this get me to subscribe to Netflix?

Aren't they also doing Arrested Development?

Maybe if they have them available at the same time?

pyralis

pyralis

Fanatic

Posted Jan 27, 2013 @ 4:24 PM

I couldn't possibly comment, but Spacey is going to have to pull all the stops out to put his own stamp on the role.

Nomada

Nomada

Just Tuned In

Posted Jan 28, 2013 @ 12:11 AM

I'm watching this for Robin Wright

cmm226

cmm226

Fanatic

Posted Jan 28, 2013 @ 12:14 AM

I keep getting this confused with House of Lies, which I didn't like.

I'm already a Netflix subscriber (I don't have any cable subscription, strictly Internet and OTA for me), so I guess I'll check it out.

Irlandesa

Irlandesa

Fanatic

Posted Jan 28, 2013 @ 2:24 AM

Aren't they also doing Arrested Development?

Maybe if they have them available at the same time?

I wouldn't think that there would be time limits on the original content they offer like there is on some of their licensed material so they should be on at the same time.

Arrested Development comes out in May. You could watch both then.

I know this is an adaptation of a successful British show but I am okay with that. I don't mind adaptations if they feel they have something else they can offer that the original doesn't. For instance, I prefer the original The Office, but the US version eventually did enough original stories and brought its own value. Considering this is going to be 26 hours compared to the original's 12 (if the sequels are included) it's clear this will be the case of offering more. I only tend to get scratchy when something gets condensed (like State of Play).

Plus, the talent behind this seems to be top notch.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Jan 28, 2013 @ 2:32 PM

I heard a clip & Spacey appears to be attempting a Southern accent, but I fear he may have spent too much time in London. Maybe it was just that one clip, but I won't be subscribing to Netflix for this. Maybe after Arrested Development and Derek are there as well.

loki567

loki567

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 29, 2013 @ 3:16 PM

I know this is an adaptation of a successful British show but I am okay with that. I don't mind adaptations if they feel they have something else they can offer that the original doesn't. For instance, I prefer the original The Office, but the US version eventually did enough original stories and brought its own value.

Exactly how I feel as well. The first miniseries was about six hours, the first US season is thirteen hours. There's going to be significant differences.

I am curious what Underwood's endgame is. Speaker of the House? Presidency?

Jessimuhka

Jessimuhka

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 31, 2013 @ 6:58 PM

NPR Fresh Air has a review up: http://www.npr.org/2...s-built-to-last

They're pretty sold on the whole thing. I'm certainly interested - I've been burning through The West Wing and another political drama sounds peachy to me. Will be interesting to see how them releasing it all at once works out. It makes it seems like it will be hard to discuss since who knows where everyone is in the show/spoilers.

alynch

alynch

Fanatic

Posted Jan 31, 2013 @ 7:11 PM

It makes it seems like it will be hard to discuss since who knows where everyone is in the show/spoilers.

Yeah, the Netflix model pretty well fucks over sites like this one. The only real conversation to be had will be what you think of the show as a whole. There won't really be any opportunity to eat up pages speculating/prediction future plot developments or analyzing in progress storylines.

Scrb

Scrb

Fanatic

Posted Jan 31, 2013 @ 7:12 PM

How is Netflix's HD quality?

May be more interested in the Blu Rays when they come out.

I've had some trial subscriptions in the past but saw very little worth watching on streaming. That was years ago.

Now I got plenty of Netflix capable devices around the house.

alynch

alynch

Fanatic

Posted Jan 31, 2013 @ 7:15 PM

No idea. I'll be watching it on standard def because my laptop can't handle any higher bandwidth, so I suppose I can say it's high enough quality to bufferfuck (Is that a term? If not, I'd like to coin it) my computer.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Jan 31, 2013 @ 7:40 PM

TWoP or other sites could always set up a policy like discuss one episode a week, or however often they want to change. But I agree the Netflix model is a game changer.

Jessimuhka

Jessimuhka

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 31, 2013 @ 7:47 PM

We're happy with it. We watch streaming through the BluRay player, and it's perfect most of the time. If you have a hiccup in internet service it will sometimes try and show you lower resolution, but if you exit out and then go back in, that fixes it.

I'll be watching, and will probably come back to discuss once I've finished, since I don't want to accidentally get spoiled if some of you are ahead of me.

meanbutnice

meanbutnice

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 1, 2013 @ 1:04 AM

Does anybody know what time House of Cards will be posted on Netflix? Very excited for this show.

Jessimuhka

Jessimuhka

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 1, 2013 @ 3:10 AM

Does anybody know what time House of Cards will be posted on Netflix? Very excited for this show.

Went up at 12am Pacific. The Mr. wants to watch it, so I'll have to watch at a normal pace.

Luciaphile

Luciaphile

Fanatic

Posted Feb 1, 2013 @ 6:30 AM

They're pretty sold on the whole thing. I'm certainly interested - I've been burning through The West Wing and another political drama sounds peachy to me. Will be interesting to see how them releasing it all at once works out. It makes it seems like it will be hard to discuss since who knows where everyone is in the show/spoilers.

The original House of Cards was really really well done. Ian Richardson had possibly the role of his career. If you like political drama, you may want to check it out.

I'm intrigued by this new version. The cast sounds great.

Irlandesa

Irlandesa

Fanatic

Posted Feb 1, 2013 @ 1:54 PM

Netflix is offering the first episode for free on their website.

I think I will eventually watch this but for now I might go watch the original on Amazon Prime since I already have that account and wait for May to sign up to Netflix.

Unless the reviews of the whole thirteen are excellent.

Edited by Irlandesa, Feb 1, 2013 @ 1:55 PM.

Suz at Large

Suz at Large

Fanatic

Posted Feb 1, 2013 @ 2:44 PM

The original UK miniseries was, and is, a huge favorite of mine. I really can't count the times I've watched it - OTA originally, on VHS (remember those?), and streaming. And I own the DVD box set though I rarely buy DVDs.

I wasn't sure what I'd think of this new US version, but after 2 episodes I'm hooked, at least for awhile. It's about as subtle as a 2 by 4 to the head, but it's fun so far to watch the machinations and power plays unwind. Kevin Spacey and Robin Wright just own the screen, IMO. As noted already, Netflix's episode dump has changed the discussion game. So I don't want to discuss details for now.

I'm not sure if there are 26 episodes' worth of good stuff here, but we shall see.

Edited by Suz at Large, Feb 1, 2013 @ 2:45 PM.

alynch

alynch

Fanatic

Posted Feb 1, 2013 @ 10:42 PM

Two episodes in. Hooked. More as this story develops.

SnarklePuss

SnarklePuss

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 2, 2013 @ 1:51 AM

Is there any way to get TWOP to create a "super-topic" for the series (like the ones for "Gilmore Girls," "Dawson's Creek," et. al.)? Then we could have a separate thread for each episode and hopefully avoid spoilers.

Edited by SnarklePuss, Feb 2, 2013 @ 1:52 AM.

Inquiry

Inquiry

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 2, 2013 @ 3:35 AM

I got NetFlix just to see this (luckily, the first month is free) since I am a sucker for any shows with a political bent and, so far, I haven't been disappointed. I've only seen the first episode, but I'm definitely hooked. Don't get me wrong, I felt like there were a few missteps (the opening scene felt gratuitous and a statement by the writes of how edgy they were), but the good parts far exceed the bad.

Jessimuhka

Jessimuhka

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 2, 2013 @ 4:01 AM

We watched the first two with some friends after happy hour, then came home and watched 3 more. Safe to say we're hooked. During the first episode, the Mr. referred to Zoey as "the girl without the dragon tattoo" and then we realized she was Rooney Mara's sister when the credits ran.

There are a couple things that seem a little weird and make me wonder where they're going (Claire's running for example), but the first whisper campaign take down felt very realistic. And I"m loving the dynamic between Frank and Claire.

Trying to keep it fairly generic, as I don't want to spoil those I'm ahead of.

Edited by Jessimuhka, Feb 2, 2013 @ 4:24 AM.

Inquiry

Inquiry

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 2, 2013 @ 8:28 AM

And I"m loving the dynamic between Frank and Claire

Yeah, a definite highlight of the series. Their dynamic is very interesting, especially their...openness (also trying to keep it vague). I have to say, Spacey is killing it in this series. I just got done with episode 5 right now (I'm just mainlining the series at this point) and his character is so fascinating. I want to also give a shout-out to the relationship between Frank and Russo. The scene near the end of episode 5 with him and Russo in the house was just fantastic. The acting and dialogue hit all the right notes for me. That scene in the bathroom was excellent. At first I thought Frank was trying to sober him up or something, and in a way he was, just not in the way I expected. I look forward to how that relationship plays out. Russo is actually one of my favorite characters in the series so far. He's so wonderfully flawed. I mean, I would hate to have him for a Congressman, but as a TV character he's fantastic.

Edited by Inquiry, Feb 2, 2013 @ 11:26 AM.

Hughes

Hughes

Fanatic

Posted Feb 2, 2013 @ 11:23 AM

Talk about a series one can sink their teeth in to. Like Freddy's Ribs, this is succulent material. You can practically see Kevin Spacey salivating as he weaves, quite expertly I might add through his scenes. I have always associated Robin Wright with Jenny from Forrest Gump, a character I was ambivalent about for the most part, so, seeing her swim so stealthy through these political waters along side Spacey...her stock in my eyes has risen tremendously. I'm so excited to consume this series and I'm only half way through the second episode! :-)

ExMathMajor

ExMathMajor

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 2, 2013 @ 11:51 AM

I too am curious to know how this will be discussed since all the episodes are up at once...

I was only going to watch the first episode but then ended up watching the next four. So yeah, I guess I'm hooked. I agree that Spacey and Wright own the screen, as does the guy playing Congressman Russo. Kate Mara's good too even though I can't look at her without thinking of Brokeback Mountain (she played Heath Ledger's character's daughter). After this ends I think I'll watch the UK version (which is also on Netflix).

This New York Times article discusses the trend of marathoning, or binge-watching. As an avid reader, I liked what Damon Lindelof said about how such treatments basically make watching these series like reading a novel. And just like a good novel, I'm not looking forward to it ending...

ETA: NPR Weekend Edition Saturday interview with Spacey and writer Beau Willimon here

Edited by ExMathMajor, Feb 2, 2013 @ 11:57 AM.

SDcat2009

SDcat2009

Stalker

Posted Feb 2, 2013 @ 12:00 PM

Oh man, I'm really enjoying this series. I've watched the first 3 episodes and am all in.

Kevin Spacey as Frank is just wonderful. And Frank is just THE WORST. Ugh. I'm loving it. Zoe is just as bad. I had no idea Corey Stoll was in this and I've loved him since he was on Law and Order. I do miss the bitchin 'stache though. Robin Wright is lovely and has a serious mean streak here.

toogoodtobetrue

toogoodtobetrue

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 2, 2013 @ 12:12 PM

Finished all 13 at 5am this morning. I just couldn't stop. Excellent, but now instead of waiting a year - 13 weeks to see next season, I have to wait an entire year! Going to be a long wait...

I agree we need a super thread to discuss this series.