19th Annual Screen Actors Guild (SAG) Awards: 2013

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

88 replies to this topic

RL1

RL1

Fanatic

Posted Jan 28, 2013 @ 1:28 AM

Dick Van Dyke was a trooper there. 87 and kicking. God bless that man.

RocketFuel

RocketFuel

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 28, 2013 @ 1:51 AM

Agreed that Daniel Day-Lewis had a terrific speech - humble and gracious with a little humour, plus nice shout-outs to Joaquin Phoenix, Leonardo DiCaprio and Liam Neeson!

jjj

jjj

Fanatic

Posted Jan 28, 2013 @ 2:33 AM

Dick van Dyke -- and grinning and clearly having a ball.. I loved watching the audience grinning back at him.

blackburn

blackburn

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 28, 2013 @ 6:45 AM

Oh SAG, I want to hate you for the lazy comedy wins. But then you had to give Cranston and Danes their deserved wins and I'm torn again. Alec Baldwin is 7 on 7 now, and they had only 2 different wins for comedy actress for the past 6 years. That's just ridiculous! They keep awarding Modern Family, but none of the actors have won yet.

helenbaby

helenbaby

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 28, 2013 @ 7:42 AM

What has happened to Helen Hunt? Until she said her name, I did not recognize her at all.

When we saw her I said "Skeletor." My bf said "I know." Then we giggled.

kingofpoppa

kingofpoppa

Fanatic

Posted Jan 28, 2013 @ 7:44 AM

Dick Van Dyke. Amazing!

RL1

RL1

Fanatic

Posted Jan 28, 2013 @ 8:20 AM

Baldwin's surprised look was so fake when he won. I was like, "Really, Alec?" Like he didn't see that coming?

nicole8705

nicole8705

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 28, 2013 @ 8:28 AM

They keep awarding Modern Family, but none of the actors have won yet.

Its as if they like the show but haven't actually watched it.

melissa1925

melissa1925

Fanatic

Posted Jan 28, 2013 @ 9:49 AM

Damn! How many Awards can celebrities give themselves ?

Cementhead

Cementhead

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 28, 2013 @ 11:21 AM

I don't know how the seating arrengements work but I was happy to see Nicole Kidman and Naomi Watts next to each other.

I watched the Red Carpet special on CNN and they said that Naomi & Nicole requested to be seated together.

What has happened to Alec Baldwin's hair since he got hitched? The man had one of the best heads of hair in the business and now it seems to be one giant experiment gone wrong. Just let it be, Alec, let it be.

When Dick Van Dyke thanked Alec for stepping in last minute to give him his award and he stumbled & bumbled over his name, was that a joke? Was it a bit? I am assuming that it was (?) but it wasn't funny and nobody laughed so ... ?

I totally thought that Anne Hathaway read all of the critiques about her GGs speech because she was so totally trying to keep herself from going there again, but then she made some sort of a joke, got some laughs from the audience and then went there again. She tries so hard to be charming & precious that it comes off as desperate & needy, ugh.

I haven't really seen any of Daniel Day Lewis' movies as they are usually not my thing, but having seen him win at the past couple of awards seasons, I am starting to appreciate how dashingly handsome he is.

Scorpiosrule

Scorpiosrule

Stalker

Posted Jan 28, 2013 @ 12:15 PM

I haven't really seen any of Daniel Day Lewis' movies as they are usually not my thing, but having seen him win at the past couple of awards seasons, I am starting to appreciate how dashingly handsome he is.

Oh, Cementhead, if you think Daniel's Dashingly Handsome now, you should really check out The Last of the Mohicans, where he was downright SEXAY/Sex on a Stick. I SO wanted to be Madeline Stowe in that movie.

blubld43

blubld43

Fanatic

Posted Jan 28, 2013 @ 1:37 PM

I would really like to know who made Giuliana Rancic and Kelly Osbourne fashion "police"; the dresses they had on last night were nothing special at all. Actually Giuliana's dress was downright unattractive on her, IMO; Kelly's was "meh".

Hallelujah

Hallelujah

Fanatic

Posted Jan 28, 2013 @ 2:13 PM

I totally thought that Anne Hathaway read all of the critiques about her GGs speech because she was so totally trying to keep herself from going there again, but then she made some sort of a joke, got some laughs from the audience and then went there again. She tries so hard to be charming & precious that it comes off as desperate & needy, ugh.

Yep. I think Anne may just be kind of a weird person IRL and kind of overly-anxious and eager to please in front of large crowds (hello, Oscar hosting gig). She seemed really sort of nervous and out-of-breath, which you can't really chalk up to being surprised, because she's won every major industry award for this part. I thought it started off okay enough, but towards the end sort of veered into uncomfortable territory.

She's much more charming in a one-on-one interview than in front of large crowds. But not everyone can be Tina Fey or Amy Poehler, right?

They keep awarding Modern Family, but none of the actors have won yet.

The SAG ensemble award is not the same as a Best Series award, and I think in the end it comes down to the whole being greater than the sum of the individual parts. The acting can be great and smart and incredible, but every other part of the production apart from the performances (e.g. directing and writing) can be lacking. Modern Family is also a populist show. At least the HFPA seem to be over it at this point.

Edited by Hallelujah, Jan 28, 2013 @ 2:13 PM.

parisgal3

parisgal3

Fanatic

Posted Jan 28, 2013 @ 2:41 PM

When Dick Van Dyke thanked Alec for stepping in last minute to give him his award and he stumbled & bumbled over his name, was that a joke? Was it a bit? I am assuming that it was (?) but it wasn't funny and nobody laughed so ... ?

Didn't he call him "Tony Bennett"? That's what I thought he said, but it didn't seem like Alec heard him or was paying attention. I didn't go back to see what he actually said though.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Jan 28, 2013 @ 2:44 PM

Baldwin does a decent Tony Bennett impression, and has done it on SNL a few times. I think Mary Tyler Moore was supposed to give DVD his award, but she has the flu, and apparently Carl Reiner does too. I hope they recover soon.

Ohwell

Ohwell

Fanatic

Posted Jan 28, 2013 @ 6:27 PM

if you think Daniel's Dashingly Handsome now, you should really check out The Last of the Mohicans, where he was downright SEXAY/Sex on a Stick. I SO wanted to be Madeline Stowe in that movie.

Oh lordy, he was hot--still is. There was one scene in the movie where he and Madeleine Stowe had finally gotten together and were standing up there kissing and then they both turned their heads the same direction. They were both so beautiful in that scene with their long, dark hair, lol. I also remember drooling over him and the other young Indian in one scene when they were running up a hill with their flaps (whatever you called those things back then) flapping up and down, and me wondering if they had anything on underneath.

Scorpiosrule

Scorpiosrule

Stalker

Posted Jan 28, 2013 @ 6:44 PM

I also remember drooling over him and the other young Indian in one scene when they were running up a hill with their flaps (whatever you called those things back then) flapping up and down, and me wondering if they had anything on underneath.

Oh yeah. I recently got the blu-ray, which restored 95% of what the DVD cut out, and I've watched it 15 times, and nope, they're not wearing anything underneath. the "leg" part of the "pants" are tied around the upper thigh.

Is it hot in here?

Seriously, though, Daniel Day Lewis deserves every single award he's gotten, and my fingers, toes, and eyes were crossed while I waited for the winner to be announced.

I do have to admit, that I smiled at how Hugh Jackman and Anne Hathaway used Gladiator, Wolverine, Catwoman, etc, to "tell" the story of Les Miserables for the 2013 crowd.

Jagged Angel

Jagged Angel

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 28, 2013 @ 11:29 PM

I'm glad we didn't have to hear the clapping during the In Memoriam segment. Man, we lost a lot of greats during the last year.

What the hell was Justin Timberlake doing there?

Paws

Paws

Fanatic

Posted Jan 28, 2013 @ 11:40 PM

JT was there because he is part of AFTRA and they just merged with them. Also, he has a new album to promote.

Anyone hoping Sally Field beats Anne Hathaway for the Oscar because AH sounds "needy" clearly doesn't remember Sally's acceptance speech for Places in theHeart .." You like me you really like me!"

I love DDL but I really want Hugh Jackman to win the Oscar. That was a lot harder for him than playing Lincoln was for DDL. Hugh's not even used to being in good movies! /snark

Dejana

Dejana

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 29, 2013 @ 12:00 AM

What has happened to Alec Baldwin's hair since he got hitched? The man had one of the best heads of hair in the business and now it seems to be one giant experiment gone wrong. Just let it be, Alec, let it be.

IDK, maybe he thinks it makes him look young next to his twentysomething yoga instructor wife? Existential crisis now that 30 Rock is over?

I don't remember Claire Danes being quite as annoying when she won everything in sight for Temple Grandin a while back. She did just have a baby, so maybe she's just loopy from the lack of sleep.

Jennifer Lawrence's dress didn't rip, it was just a sheer panel.

Were none of the Best Male Actor in a Miniseries/TV Movie nominees there? When that happens at the less prestigious awards (People's Choice, Billboard, etc.), they don't even bother presenting the category on air. Rose Byrne would have been spared having to go on stage in front of everyone wearing that...thing.

blackburn

blackburn

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 29, 2013 @ 1:25 AM

Anyone hoping Sally Field beats Anne Hathaway for the Oscar because AH sounds "needy" clearly doesn't remember Sally's acceptance speech for Places in theHeart .." You like me you really like me!"

In all honesty what she *really* said was "You like me, right now, you like me". It doesn't sound nearly as bad as how it was parodied over the years. She was a TV actress who scored 2 Oscars - that was a huge victory for her, and she was playing on words from Norma Rae. Then again I must be the only one who doesn't hate her Oscar speech.

Edited by blackburn, Jan 29, 2013 @ 1:26 AM.

Jagged Angel

Jagged Angel

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 29, 2013 @ 5:26 AM

Helen Hunt indeed looks like Skeletor. I thought she looked way better at the awards than she did in that clip for Best Actress they showed though. Scary!

Edited by Jagged Angel, Jan 29, 2013 @ 5:27 AM.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Jan 30, 2013 @ 12:51 AM

Best moment: Hal Holbrook's "A load of BS" face when Anne Hathaway finished her speech. His look said it all when he weakly clapped.

Love Hal Holbrook, and that was hilarious. I wish he could've won something for Lincoln. I don't understand why Lewis won for leading actor. He played Lincoln like an Alzheimer's patient.

I don't understand why Hathaway hasn't gotten some hair extensions by now. At least she's filled out a little bit since the Globes.

I wanted John Hawkes to win for The Sessions. He not only couldn't move throughout the piece but for most of it he was lying on his side; you couldn't really even see his face. And yet he was so affecting. He even looked completely different than he did at the awards. I wish actors like that would win for what really was the best performance rather than the high school actor, parody-level, shaking-voiced, doddering fool turned in by Lewis. And why is Lewis' head so enormous?

I really liked the In Memoriam clip and showed just that part to my husband. It was so appropriate they did not include applause or lack of it, and I hope the Academy follows suit. They are dead; let them stop competing.

Cementhead

Cementhead

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 30, 2013 @ 9:05 AM

I don't understand why Hathaway hasn't gotten some hair extensions by now. At least she's filled out a little bit since the Globes.

She says she loves the short hair; says she feels more like herself now.

Missy Vixen

Missy Vixen

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 31, 2013 @ 10:20 AM

And Giuliana Rancic gets her ass handed to her via the New York Times re: her SAG red carpet "interviews"... http://www.nytimes.c...rpet.html?_r=1

I suppose this is mean-spirited, but it makes my whole day. Hell, my WEEK.

Maysie

Maysie

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 31, 2013 @ 5:54 PM

I'm mean spirited too, I guess, because that Giuliana Rancic review was pretty awesome. I didn't watch the SAG awards and usually if I do bother to tune in to one of the awards shows I skip the red carpet stuff because GR gets on my last nerve. I've watched Fashion Police in the past and the panel will rag on people if they're not happy or don't play along on the red carpet. If Rancic and the rest of the people from E! were between me and the entrance to the auditorium, it wouldn't be pretty. My 18 year old niece acts more mature than Rancic does.

Daniel Day Lewis is really the whole package: he's got amazing talent, he's an actor and not a "personality," he has a life outside of the whole business and appears to be intelligent, well-mannered and classy. Plus he really has some hot moments (as well-documented here in Last of the Mohicans).

I'm kind of wishing I'd watched to see DDL, Hal Holbrook's reaction to Anne Hathaway (because I love HH) and Dick Van Dyke.

sunalsosets21

sunalsosets21

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 31, 2013 @ 6:18 PM

I didn't watch the whole red-carpet show but I caught her interview with Jennifer Lawrence and it was super-awkward. She put on her exaggerated, faux-concern about Jennifer's health since there had been reports about Jennifer having pneumonia. Jennifer then says she's fine and she's good and then she stops talking and it's like Giuliana was either not paying attention so didn't realize Jennifer had stopped talking or she hadn't thought beyond her faux-concern; so there was this awkward five-second pause where Jennifer just stared at her, waiting for the next question. It was really one of the most uncomfortable things.

jch323

jch323

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 1, 2013 @ 7:14 PM

JT was there because he is part of AFTRA and they just merged with them. Also, he has a new album to promote.

He's also a certainly a SAG member after being in several movies, regardless of their quality and how much I wish he would go away.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Feb 2, 2013 @ 7:57 AM

I watched some live stream of the SAG red carpet, that had a male and female host. It was okay until the male began getting super hyper and almost literally pushing the female host out of the frame. At one point he said "let me take this one" and the next time she had an interview the camera cut away from it - I think she was talking with Naomi Watts, so, not like she was interviewing a key grip about the craft service table or something - and just panned around at nothing! It was really bizarre. Wonder how low the bar is for being a red carpet host? I taped the E! red carpet and have to watch that still, but, I keep putting it off because Giuliana is not my favorite. Tactful way of saying can't stand her.