Parenting in Nashville: Mommy Issues

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

8 replies to this topic

TWoP Nikita

TWoP Nikita

Fanatic

Posted Jan 25, 2013 @ 5:41 PM

This thread is for discussing parent/child relationships on Nashville such as, but not limited to:
  • Rayna and Maddie and Daphne
  • Teddy and Maddie and Daphne
  • Rayna and Lamar
  • Juliette and Jolene

Issues related to Maddie's paternity would be on-topic here, as well as other parent/child related topics.

Irlandesa

Irlandesa

Fanatic

Posted Jan 25, 2013 @ 8:38 PM

I'm surprised that Deacon hasn't thought about the possibility that Maddie is his. Then again, he probably can't conceive of a universe where Rayna would deceive him to that depth.

Maybe he is. I brought this up in the episode thread but I'll move the discussion here as directed. I think it'd be a decent twist if he knew or at least suspected. That doesn't mean that he and Rayna ever had "the talk." It's possible that he was so upset by Rayna's marriage that he didn't pursue the truth of Maddie's paternity. Maybe he even suspected that Teddy would be a better father on a daily basis than he could be.

I also don't think it was a bad decision on Rayna's part.

shron17

shron17

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 26, 2013 @ 7:47 AM

I think it'd be a decent twist if he knew or at least suspected. That doesn't mean that he and Rayna ever had "the talk." It's possible that he was so upset by Rayna's marriage that he didn't pursue the truth of Maddie's paternity.

I agree. Deacon being the bio dad and not knowing is too predictable. We already got the twist with Teddy knowing so there must be something else. I could definitely see Deacon knowing on some level but not wanting to know. He's already hurt by the way Rayna did things though I think he must suspect she had no choice. Adding this on would be too much, and they wouldn't have been able to play together which has been so important for both of them. Although I also think it's possible that they have talked about it, or maybe talked around it. Or that the bio dad is someone altogether.

I also don't think it was a bad decision on Rayna's part.

I see Rayna as basically a good person, with some faults of course. I just can't imagine she would do something so cruel, especially to Deacon, unless she felt it was the only way to protect her baby.

gpgurl50

gpgurl50

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 26, 2013 @ 10:12 PM

I'm kind of wondering how Lamar has known all this time. Did Tandy tell him against Rayna's wishes or was it another example of being over involved in Rayna's life? Another possibility is Rayna through Tandy used Lamar's connections to make the doctors say it's Teddy's kid when they knew it wasn't. I find it hard to believe that Rayna would accept Lamar's help.

AmbrosiaL

AmbrosiaL

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 27, 2013 @ 5:09 PM

I think it'd be a decent twist if he knew or at least suspected. That doesn't mean that he and Rayna ever had "the talk." It's possible that he was so upset by Rayna's marriage that he didn't pursue the truth of Maddie's paternity. Maybe he even suspected that Teddy would be a better father on a daily basis than he could be.

I could definitely see Deacon knowing on some level but not wanting to know. He's already hurt by the way Rayna did things though I think he must suspect she had no choice. Adding this on would be too much...

ITA and think he IS her father. and somewhere deep inside knows it is (at least as a strong possibility) and is afraid to ask outright and make it official. Just imagine the level of self-loathing he would/must feel to know his addiction had made him so undependable at that point when she needed him most that she turned to "trustworthy Teddy". That undercurrent certainly runs pretty strong in all of their interactions...

I do hope we find out more about Vince. Rayna may have turned to him in her distress at some point and gotten taken advantage of or slept with him as "payback sex" in anger, and as a result isn't sure herself about Maddie's paternity, except to know she isn't Teddy's.

I'm surprised that Deacon hasn't thought about the possibility that Maddie is his. Then again, he probably can't conceive of a universe where Rayna would deceive him to that depth.

Why wouldn't he and to some degree likely feel that her shutting him out of his biological daughter's life, at least as a parent was deserved early on? Rayna has waited now 12 years and counting for him to fall off the wagon for the (at least) sixth time and he has battled making it the truth daily, hourly, minute by minute as a recovering alcoholic, as we saw in this last ep. Rayna cried, "Who KNEW the sixth time would be the one that worked??" She didn't have the option (or believe she did) of waiting to see with Maddy on the way. As Teddy and Rayna put it : Lots of "wrong choices ... right reasons" plus some "right choices, wrong reasons" equals Greek/Shakespearean tragedy (or soaps) at their finest! :-)

I'm kind of wondering how Lamar has known all this time. Did Tandy tell him against Rayna's wishes or was it another example of being over involved in Rayna's life?

This. Betting Rayna told Tandy, Tandy told daddy, and he set about fixing her up with Teddy, then Tandy pushed the match with Rayna to "save the family face" and perhaps Rayna's career (quick, name three female CMA winners from the past ten years with kids born out of wedlock). In fact, Tandy's pretty much said that she did so in conversations with Rayna...

sassykath

sassykath

Fanatic

Posted Jan 31, 2013 @ 1:14 PM

Another possibility is Rayna through Tandy used Lamar's connections to make the doctors say it's Teddy's kid when they knew it wasn't.

I like this as the reason Deacon doesn't seem at all interested in Maddie possibly being his. He was told she wasn't, with official tests to prove it. Done and done. I still like the "Vince is the father" theory too.

FortKnoxII

FortKnoxII

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 18, 2013 @ 9:59 AM

With Juliette asking her mom to move in with her do you hope things work out? I'm of two minds yes and no.

Yes, because I want Juliette to finally have the family she's been searching for but, then that would make Deacan even more smug then he's been lately and be "I told you so".

No, because when her mom falls of the wagon again I want Juliette to let Deacan have it about her mom and the way he's been judgemental about the way she handled her.

lorra

lorra

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 18, 2013 @ 10:07 AM

When Juliette's mom tried to warn her daughter about rushing into marriage, I was impressed. I was impressed again after the record company party by the conversation the mom and the daughter had -- you could see there is much love there. Juliette does need her mother.

As for Deacon, it is troubling that he doesn't seem able to grasp Juliette's pain. He talks to her like she is the one in the wrong. But that's a separate issue. Her mom is responsible for the ish she pulled, not for the ish that Deacon pulls.

Irlandesa

Irlandesa

Fanatic

Posted Feb 18, 2013 @ 2:01 PM

I do think that Juliette's life may be improved with a sober mother but the last thing she needs is a mother who is off the wagon. Juliette sort of had a balance in her life before Glenn brought her mother into her house.

Edited by Irlandesa, Feb 18, 2013 @ 2:02 PM.