12-4 : "Auditions: 4" 2013.01.24

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

21 replies to this topic

trojan69

trojan69

Fanatic

Posted Jan 24, 2013 @ 9:35 PM

Burnell is a perfect example of how I am not the target audience for this show. While I most certainly heard a nice voice, I did not feel/hear/comprehend why he was alllllllll that. Hollywood, sure. Straight to the Final? No way.

Loved, loved, loved Akew, the awkward guy. Unique and unformed voice. Definitely unafraid to express, tonality be darned.

Mushroom was a hoot.

Overall, yet again, the South represents. I would bet Baton Rouge is over-represented in the Top 24, or whatever they are starting judging rounds with.

LennieB

LennieB

Fanatic

Posted Jan 24, 2013 @ 9:45 PM

Top 40 goes to Top 20 to Top 10.

I liked Crutches Girl.

culturevulture73

culturevulture73

Fanatic

Posted Jan 24, 2013 @ 9:58 PM

Smart cookie, that Charlie - does the Moulin Rouge version of "Nature Boy" - but love his voice and style. Better than Burnell for me, frankly.

"Keith, what are you?"
"Confused"

Edited by culturevulture73, Jan 24, 2013 @ 9:59 PM.

Chocorokoroko

Chocorokoroko

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 24, 2013 @ 10:47 PM

Crutches girl (Megan Miller), Awkward Guy (Charlie Askew), All-American stud (Paul Jolley) and Calvin Peters won it for me tonight. The last one, Burnell, was over the top. I can see him going far during Hollywood. His clothing choice was... very casual. XD

That Paul Jolley though, he's got a sparkle in his eyes and voice. I can DEFINITELY see him going far in the competition.

Megan Miller had dedication, that's for sure. Glad her surgery went well, too. Looking forward to seeing her in the Hollywood round.

Charlie Askew... WOW. He can nail it in the Musical business if this competition doesn't work out for him.

corvus13

corvus13

Stalker

Posted Jan 25, 2013 @ 12:34 AM

Wow, that was a whole pile of meh.

Phan

Phan

Fanatic

Posted Jan 25, 2013 @ 1:10 AM

Charlie Askew gives me Sanjaya and John Stevens vibes. He may be too young to handle the competition, but I think in a few years he could grow into a cool artist.

Burnell was good, but not standing O worthy.

I sort of liked Maddie, and I'm not surprised she referenced Haley as an influence. However, next time she sings she can feel free to break up her phrasing; it all just ran into one big melisma heavy run. Kind of like Haley's audition with "Oh! Darling" now that I think about it.

culturevulture73

culturevulture73

Fanatic

Posted Jan 25, 2013 @ 7:29 AM

However, next time she sings she can feel free to break up her phrasing; it all just ran into one big melisma heavy run. Kind of like Haley's audition with "Oh! Darling" now that I think about it.

I think in one verse, she put in more runs and vibrato than Paul McCartney AND Robin Gibb did in their whole versions combined. I swear, if I was a judge, I'd make them sing "Happy Birthday" or something without a run so I could see if they could actually carry a tune or were just imitating the radio.

Speaking of the judges, everybody seemed a bit less bizarre tonight - I wonder where in the actual run of the auditions this happened - if it was "really" 4th or just what they chose to put as 4th.

Sparkling Beth

Sparkling Beth

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 25, 2013 @ 10:21 AM

When a contestant does a lot of runs, turning every syllable into seven, I guess we're supposed to be impressed, but all I can think is, "Well, they can't hold a note."

scowl

scowl

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 25, 2013 @ 12:07 PM

It was great to see a more balanced judging panel this time! Urban was informative and even funny. Randy said some things that made sense. Superstar Mariah tried to relate to a socially awkward boy and utterly failed but at least she was paying attention.

I foresee bad things for Askew though. I can't see him working with other singers during the group rounds and his clean Garfunkel voice is not what most people expect to hear in pop songs these days. Maybe Michael Bublé is changing that.

I also didn't get Maddie. Her version of "Ooooh Hoohhoh Whaoahahoh Oh Whoa Daaaaha. Hahaha ha. Linin In In In Inan In'" sounded like she had forgotten the lyrics and was buying time with those crazy runs. I hope no one ever hires her to sing the Star Spangled Banner at a sporting event.

Runningwild

Runningwild

Fanatic

Posted Jan 25, 2013 @ 1:22 PM

Loved Charlie Askew! I hope he goes far. Not feeling Burnell. I foresee Joshua Ledet-ness from him. And to me that's not a good thing. I also liked the fireman and Paul Jolley. I could look at Paul all day. And he can sing, too.

MandoMaid

MandoMaid

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 25, 2013 @ 1:30 PM

I also didn't get Maddie. Her version of "Ooooh Hoohhoh Whaoahahoh Oh Whoa Daaaaha. Hahaha ha. Linin In In In Inan In'" sounded like she had forgotten the lyrics and was buying time with those crazy runs. I hope no one ever hires her to sing the Star Spangled Banner at a sporting event.

Amen. I was never a big Haley fan and this is why.

Loved the firefighter. He sounded a little like Garth Brooks. Wish he'd said "firefighter" though. Although it didn't seem like his station had any women, they certainly do that job.

Charlie Askew was really interesting. I agree with Chocorokoroko - he'd be great in musical theater.

Crutches Girl didn't impress me - trying too hard.

Loved that Urban yelled out to Burnell about changing up his wardrobe. Agreed. Those scuzzy shoes were awful. And what's with the sweater tied around the waist?

scowl

scowl

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 25, 2013 @ 1:57 PM

I hope Urban stays funny. Did he really come up with that "fungai" pun? Thank you American Idol for clarifying the joke on my screen because I never would have thought a Country singer could also be a punster.

He doesn't have as much star aura as the other judges so the joke about the guy's casual look didn't sound mean at all.

MandoMaid

MandoMaid

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 25, 2013 @ 1:59 PM

I think Urban has a lot of star power. It's Carey who I find boring. She's sweet, sure, but she doesn't say much that's interesting to me.

ari333

ari333

Fanatic

Posted Jan 25, 2013 @ 2:02 PM

The firefighter's voice wowed me and I wasn't expecting it. We were wondering who his voice reminded us of and couldn't put our finger on it, but yes, Garth Brooks. Thanks. :)

I thought Burnell's voice was pleasant and maybe my speakers are shit, but a standing O from Keith, Randy, and Mariah? - I did NOT hear it like that.

NickyPick

NickyPick

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 25, 2013 @ 3:02 PM

I thought Burnell's voice was pleasant and maybe my speakers are shit, but a standing O from Keith, Randy, and Mariah? - I did NOT hear it like that.

I figure by the time Burnell came in, they had heard so much crap that in comparison, he sounded like an angel coming down. Probably why Nikki didn't stand. I just LOVED Keith's facial expressions during his song though. Totally cracked me up.

OakGoblinfly

OakGoblinfly

Fanatic

• Interests:Book-devouring, SiFi-geeking, Anime-Watching, Hockey-Loving transplanted NY gal now living in Northern VA.

Posted Jan 25, 2013 @ 4:05 PM

I think Urban has a lot of star power. It's Carey who I find boring. She's sweet, sure, but she doesn't say much that's interesting to me.

I think Mariah has a lot of star power (and the prettiest, warmest smile). I've heard she's very shy when not performing and I think that's what we're seeing; a bit of shyness coupled with trying to find her way as a judge gives the appearance of providing little in meaningful critiques/comments/observations.

Then again, she may be making lots of wonderful comments that the edit monkeys elect not to show.

MandoMaid

MandoMaid

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 25, 2013 @ 5:03 PM

Then again, she may be making lots of wonderful comments that the edit monkeys elect not to show.

Very true. In other reality shows, they give people lines to say. I wonder if they do that for the judges? Did Urban come up with "fun guy" on his own?

losterizo

losterizo

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 25, 2013 @ 6:35 PM

Did Urban come up with "fun guy" on his own?

It would be kind of sad if it had to be scripted since it's not exactly a new joke.

scowl

scowl

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 25, 2013 @ 7:21 PM

It would be kind of sad if it had to be scripted since it's not exactly a new joke.

I haven't heard the joke. How does it go?

losterizo

losterizo

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 25, 2013 @ 8:00 PM

I haven't heard the joke. How does it go?

Why did the mushroom go to the party? He's a Fungi!

What do you call the mushroom that bought you a drink in the bar? Fungi to be around.

...etc. etc. a million variations on the pun. I think I used it first when I was about 8 and learned the word fungi.

Northwester

Northwester

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 26, 2013 @ 7:28 PM

Maddie drove me nuts with that over-that-top, contrived "singing." I hate that stuff. It's supposed to show soul and feeling the lyrics, but to me it shows a complete lack of interest in the lyrics, or even in the song you're supposed to be singing. You really might as well be singing the phone book. Haley Reinhardt. did kind of start out like that, but over the course of the season I thought she got a lot better at conveying emotion without all the vocal tricks. Plus she had a much better voice than this girl

Charlie Askew is the first original talent they've had so far this season. Unfortunately, singers who don't easily fit into one of the standard boxes usually don't do well on this show. (With a rare exception, like Casey Abrams.) I thought that Keith's comparison to David Bowie was perceptive. The same kind of androgynous vocal qualty that can be very emotionally affecting, like on that TV Christmas duet with Bing Crosby. Mariah Carey being genuinely moved by Askew's singing was the most likeable moment she's had on this show to date.

Edited by Northwester, Jan 27, 2013 @ 6:38 AM.

jenny1234

jenny1234

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 28, 2013 @ 6:37 PM

Geez, Randy Jackson is aggressively stupid. No matter who is on the panel, the one consistency is that he will always be useless. "Randy what do you think?" "1 2 3 4!" and of course, "Let them eat, cake!"