• Please log in to reply

139 replies to this topic

TWoP Tennison

TWoP Tennison

TWoP Moderator

Posted Jan 23, 2013 @ 7:02 PM

Season finale.

Mod Note:

Please take discussion of the season as a whole to the All Seasons thread, and post hopes/speculation about next season in the Speculation thread. Thanks!

BakerX2

BakerX2

Fanatic

Posted Jan 23, 2013 @ 11:09 PM

So the whole fucking thing was a "what if" scenario? Jesus fucking Christ!!!!!

mustbekarma

mustbekarma

Fanatic

Posted Jan 23, 2013 @ 11:10 PM

You go, Lana Banana! Psycho killers: 0, Lana: 2

With the exception of Kitt being taken by the aliens, that was a great finale. The damn priest didn't get to become Pope. Hallelujah. Arden's crimes were finally uncovered. Sister Jude got a peaceful ending that left my damn allergies acting up. Kitt forgiving her was surprising, but awesome. He's just a great guy.

So the whole fucking thing was a "what if" scenario? Jesus fucking Christ!!!!!

I haven't decided if it was that, or just scenes from the premiere that were repeated. I suppose I just don't care. I wanted to watch this season through to the end just to be a member of the "clean plate club," so to speak. I think if I liked every episode as much as I liked the last two, then I'd be probably pissed that it was possibly all make believe.

Edited by mustbekarma, Jan 23, 2013 @ 11:13 PM.

Candy Moocher

Candy Moocher

Fanatic

Posted Jan 23, 2013 @ 11:12 PM

Wait -- so the end means that none of that actually happened, it was just what could have happened if Lana had let her ambition dictate her life?

babylibra7

babylibra7

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 23, 2013 @ 11:12 PM

I suppose you could read it that way, but I took it as really happening.

Then again, remember Lana's words. "My job is to tell a story with the essence of truth." or something along those lines.

I, for one, was thoroughly impressed.

kiki38

kiki38

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 23, 2013 @ 11:13 PM

What the hell was that?

Now,I will say: Lange- you brought me to tears. GREAT death scene!

But seriously: WTF was that? Was the convo between Jude & Lana at the very end? Was the whole season just a 'Lana made it up?' thing? Did this 'explain' the aliens?

This is two seasons that the series has been awesome, with a finale that makes LOST look absolutely soul-baring!

WTF?!?!?!?!?!?!?

dizzyd

dizzyd

Couch Potato

Blah! And at the end of the madness we could have done without the mutants and ETs. At least Jude got out. But otherwise what a letdown.

BuddhaBelly

BuddhaBelly

Fanatic

I love Kit for getting Jude out. She didn't deserve it but the level of heart he has is amazing. They both got decent endings. Happiness up to the point of death even if it was a somewhat shortened life. I still want to know what the aliens wanted with Kit but I guess we'll never know. Sidenote: The little girl playing Julia was beyond adorable.

Monsignor is a coward and he went out like one. Too weak to face up to the horrors he helped perpetrate.

I like Lana with all her ambition and craziness. Once they were in the scene I knew she was going to turn the tables on him. Calm and cool, much calmer that when she confronted Thredson.

Now the ending, please tell me this doesn't mean none of it happened because I just hate shit like that. I really am just going to pretend the last minute didn't happen or it was Lana in her old age after killing her son imaging how things would have gone if she got out and stayed out. A story of this scope can't be made up.

Edited by BuddhaBelly, Jan 23, 2013 @ 11:16 PM.

Nightmare Logic

Nightmare Logic

Fanatic

Posted Jan 23, 2013 @ 11:14 PM

Question: How could anyone think Kit Walker was Bloody Face?

The whole Lana interview was nicely done. I liked watching her succeed with her career and find another lover. I liked how it showed how everyone turned out and ended up. (Well everyone who was still alive anyway).

No that was not me ugly crying during Kit's conversation with Lana about Sister Jude moving in with him and the kids. Really I didn't ugly cry one bit.

I liked the conversation between Lana and Johnny and how it went down. It felt real to me. Lana didn't blame Oliver for what Johnny did but herself and how the scene jumped to the beginning of the story and her own ambition because that is how her story began, isn't it? Lana and her blind ambition.

And that is a good quote for the show, isn't it? What sister Jude said an often paraphrased quote by Nietzsche.

And I change my mind, after last episode which I found disappointing I took this show off my "to buy" DVD list. Now it so much back on.

Edited by Nightmare Logic, Jan 23, 2013 @ 11:16 PM.

gingercharm21

gingercharm21

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 23, 2013 @ 11:15 PM

Is it Ryan Murphy's sole goal in life to produce anti-climactic and unsatisfying endings to all his damn shows? I knew I'd be irritated when it got down to the last fifteen minutes and there was no confrontation between Lana and Johnny.

MelindaBB

MelindaBB

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 23, 2013 @ 11:18 PM

That was an awesome ending. I love that a horror show consistently ends with so much heart. Kit getting Jude out, Jude finding happiness in the end, nothing nefarious going on with Kit's kids, Lana surviving and tying up her loose ends... brilliant. It was all gorgeous.

Stephen87

Stephen87

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 23, 2013 @ 11:19 PM

Pretty good finale...didn't see that Lana taking out Bloodyface Jr coming at all!!

Just a quick observation: When Jude was teaching Kit how to swing dance, for a few seconds I didn't see them, I saw Jessica and Evan, and it was awesome.

Edited by TWoP Tennison, Jan 24, 2013 @ 9:44 PM.
Caps

Turkish

Turkish

Stalker

Posted Jan 23, 2013 @ 11:27 PM

Now the ending, please tell me this doesn't mean none of it happened because I just hate shit like that. I really am just going to pretend the last minute didn't happen or it was Lana in her old age after killing her son imaging how things would have gone if she got out and stayed out. A story of this scope can't be made up.

I can't wait for the Ryan interview so I can find out the answer to this. Either it was all made up or Old Lana was imagining her young self turning around and walking out of that place before shit hit the fan. I definitely don't remember her walking out in the first episode so it couldn't have been a flashback it had to be significant. I'm so confused right now.

Other than that I loved the finale. Totally balled during Kit's story about Jude and her death. If you had told me at the start of this season that I would care so much about that woman I wouldn't have believed it.

Edited by Turkish, Jan 23, 2013 @ 11:28 PM.

SzmuttyPratfall

SzmuttyPratfall

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 23, 2013 @ 11:30 PM

The end was just typical bookends. It ends the season with the completed journey being followed by where the characters began. It was not in Lana's head.

windy31

windy31

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 23, 2013 @ 11:38 PM

I took it the same way, SzmuttyPratfall. She said to Bloody Face 2 something about him being half of her, too. And she's no innocent. So the flashback to Jude's quote about looking in the face of evil, was Jude the face of evil or Lana?

I can't believe she was able to talk the gun out of BF Jrs hand. That was intense.

valny

valny

Stalker

Posted Jan 23, 2013 @ 11:40 PM

Still don't know what to think of this finale yet as it relates to the whole season or as a wrap up. I might have to rewatch. But there are parts that I was happy with.

Sister Jude got a peaceful ending that left my damn allergies acting up

. Right there with ya. Oh man, I didn't expect this show to make me cry damn it. When they showed that little montage of Kit visiting Jude and the sweet background music, that was it for me!

I love Kit for getting Jude out

. Me too! I didn't expect him to go back and care about her like that. Waaa.

At first I was a bit disappointed when Lana said that it never happened that she went back and got Jude out, because aw, Jude called her Lana Banana so sweetly when she recognized her.

Now the ending, please tell me this doesn't mean none of it happened because I just hate shit like that.

I didn't even think about it like that, but I didn't know exactly what that very ending was supposed to mean. Maybe Ryan Murphy can enlighten us.

What did everyone think of the aging makeup on Paulson? Was it me or did her nose look like they didn't age that part of her face? On my tv,the coloring seemed off, her face was one color and her nose was not quite matching. *nitpick*
How old was she supposed to be?

Dominque returns! Yay!

Edited by valny, Jan 23, 2013 @ 11:49 PM.

Amester0120

Amester0120

Fanatic

Posted Jan 23, 2013 @ 11:42 PM

So the flashback to Jude's quote about looking in the face of evil, was Jude the face of evil or Lana?

Exactly. And will Lana ever find the kind of peace that Jude and Kit found? Seems doubtful.

FinePoint

FinePoint

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 23, 2013 @ 11:46 PM

YEAHHHHHH Lanabanana!

As far as the final scene, I took it as just Lana remembering how her journey began.

I can see how it could have been added on purpose to make us all wonder both ways: was the whole saga just Lana's imagination and part of her books, or was it instead Lana simply thinking back to how this whole thing started. The one exception to that for me was the two honeymooners and Son of BF attacking Adam Levine; I don't know if that was part of Lana's tale or not. Personally, I'm satisfied with Lana simply thinking back to how her ambition got her into this whole "bloody" mess. I am looking forward to finding out Ryan Murphy's intention there. I too will be pissed if it was a "what if" thing.

Still feel the whole aliens thing was unnecessary to the story, and unresolved.

Jessica Lange, amazing as always. In the dictionary under "Actress."

That kid they found to play Kitt's son looks SO much like him.

windy31

windy31

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 23, 2013 @ 11:49 PM

Now that the season is over, I really don't know why they bothered with an alien story line. What was the point? Was Kit an alien all along? Is he being tortured by aliens now? The alien thing just seemed tacked on to fill time.

I LOVE that Kit's children were a Harvard law professor and neurosurgeon. I wasn't sure if we'd see them as adults somehow involved with the Lana story. Now I'm glad they weren't. Also loved how close Lana and Kitt remained. Even her taking care of him in 'death' and keeping pictures of his children in her home.

Also confused, in hindsight, the point of the devil, Arden and other tertiary story lines. After watching the last few episodes and seeing Lana, Kitt and Jude's stories unfold, the Sister Mary Eunice stuff, while cool, seems insignificant.

maggiethebeagle

maggiethebeagle

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 23, 2013 @ 11:53 PM

Very very good ending! Lange does not disappoint as usual. Now, did I miss something or was it implied that DM was not really Lana's son. It seemed like he was saying he observed her at the orphanage with her son and fixated on that to "become" Bloody Face Jr.

psychoticstate

psychoticstate

Fanatic

Posted Jan 23, 2013 @ 11:59 PM

I suppose as season finales go, this was pretty good but I just feel let down. So many episodes this season left me shocked and/or gasping and I just wasn't blown away by this finale. I felt like Ryan Murphy wrote a check at the beginning of the season that he couldn't cash at the end.

Aliens? What did the point turn out to be? The zombie like creatures Dr. Arden created? Why bother? Having him be a former Nazi would have been enough. Just as having Kit be innocent of the Bloody Face crimes would have been enough. Sister Mary Eunice being possessed was fantastic and then it was just . . . over.

I still think this was a great season and I think the show was so much better done than last season but . . . I don't know, I just feel, well, underwhelmed right now.

ThatPoshGirl

ThatPoshGirl

Stalker

Posted Jan 24, 2013 @ 12:03 AM

I didn't take the end as suggesting none of it happened. I just thought it was contrasting where Lana was and where she ended up.

The weird spinny shot made me sick to my stomach, I had to look away.

Glad Kit had a relatively good life.

I kept thinking there would be a reveal that the little kid with glasses wasn't actually Lana's kid, but that it was the bully.

gingercharm21

gingercharm21

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 24, 2013 @ 12:09 AM

Now, did I miss something or was it implied that DM was not really Lana's son. It seemed like he was saying he observed her at the orphanage with her son and fixated on that to "become" Bloody Face Jr.

You missed something. It was a school, not an orphanage. Johnny was the kid with the glasses being picked on, and Lana stood up for him. He was her actual son.

Maddingcrowd

Maddingcrowd

Fanatic

Posted Jan 24, 2013 @ 12:22 AM

I'm not sure how I feel about this ending. I didn't take it that none of it happened-I think Lana was reflecting on the choices she made and how her blind ambition was both a good and bad thing. One thing that bugged me was that there was nothing scary or really surprising in this ending and I wanted something to shock me.

I was tearing up at Jude's death and thought the aliens took Kit so they could cure his cancer but the alien story was so weak overall that it still doesn't seem like it belongs in this season. I knew the little boy with glasses was supposed to be Lana's son, but the bully looked more like Dylan M.

CrumbyButtons

CrumbyButtons

Stalker

Posted Jan 24, 2013 @ 12:30 AM

What did everyone think of the aging makeup on Paulson? Was it me or did her nose look like they didn't age that part of her face? On my tv,the coloring seemed off, her face was one color and her nose was not quite matching. *nitpick*

I liked it. I didn't notice the colors not matching, but I liked that they kept the neck soft and aged her face not to look "old" but "old with some work done". I thought they did it very well.

eta: I wish we would have seen Shelly and/or Pepper again.

Edited by CrumbyButtons, Jan 24, 2013 @ 12:34 AM.

redheadedwitch

redheadedwitch

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 24, 2013 @ 12:44 AM

I'm still processing this but I'm kind of underwhelmed at the ending to Lana's story. I took the final flashback as her reflecting that if it hadn't been for her ruthless ambition, none of it would have happened. That she could have prevented it all by just walking away and never coming back. But that actually could have been a worse outcome for quite a few people. Lana would have been spared of the horror of her imprisionment and being kidnaped and raped but what about everyone else? Kit would have been sent to the electric chair, Thredson would have gone on killing women for who knows how long, the Monsignor could have ended up as Pope, and when he left Sister Jude behind to go to Rome, as he surely would have, she would have gone back to the bottle, maybe drinking herself to death or perhaps killing another while drunk driving. There's a lot of what ifs on both sides. I was just looking for more in their confrontation. He figured out who his parents were because as a child he could just tell by their short meeting that she was his mother?. What about the family who adopted him? I felt there should have been some story there. He looked well taken care of as a boy, why was there nothing at all about how he was raised? I guess they're saying he never had a chance because of his DNA but that feels like a bit of a cheat. I saw it coming a mile away that she was going to kill him the same way she killed his father. It just felt a bit unsatisfying.

I liked Jude's ending, that she was happy and part of a family. Kit and Jude's final scene was beautiful amd Jessica Lange crushed it as usual. It would have been nice to have some explanation as to why the aliens wanted Kit, other than the fact that's he just ridiculously adorable. Why was it so important to them that he father children? His kids grow up to be successful but given Grace's statement that Thomas was going to change the way people think, even that felt like a letdown. Why did they take him back? Just even the tiniest but of info as to the aliens' motivation would have been nice.

Suicide was too good for the Monsignor. I was really rooting for a final showdown between him and Jude. It's good that Lana ruined his legacy or whatever but I didn't think it was enough. It does feel like Sister Mary Satan was a fun diversion but really didn't have much effect on the overall story in the end.

I don't know. I'll have to watch it again and see if I like it better the second time.

marymonroe

marymonroe

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 24, 2013 @ 12:49 AM

I liked it enough but agree the alien stuff was the weakest part.

I'm going with it all happened.

Ryan Murphy loves ambiguity.

I'm going to miss Kit, Jude and Lana banana.

MrHainsworth

MrHainsworth

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 24, 2013 @ 12:51 AM

Was it just me or did old!Lana look a lot like Dana Delaney?

reeneebob

reeneebob

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 24, 2013 @ 1:14 AM

Never has a gunshot been quite that satisfying for a viewer. I yelled a little triumphant YES!

Loved it. I wasn't sure if I liked season 2 better than season 1 (I shotgunned all of season 1 and season 2 to episode 11 with my mother over 2 days while she recovered from surgery, and rewatching all of season 1 in a block made me love it more than I remembered - good lord Tate was a monster but I still wanted to hug him), but this finale may have vaulted season 2 to my favorite.

And I bawled like a bitch during Jude's death.

BuddhaBelly

BuddhaBelly

Fanatic

Posted Jan 24, 2013 @ 1:25 AM

He figured out who his parents were because as a child he could just tell by their short meeting that she was his mother?. What about the family who adopted him? I felt there should have been some story there. He looked well taken care of as a boy, why was there nothing at all about how he was raised? I guess they're saying he never had a chance because of his DNA but that feels like a bit of a cheat. I saw it coming a mile away that she was going to kill him the same way she killed his father. It just felt a bit unsatisfying.

I think the biggest flaw, besides the aliens, was Johnny. I wanted to know more about him. When did he start killing? When did he find the tape of Thredson's confession? Why did he wait so long to confront Lana, especially if he thought she was his mother from a boy. How did the cops get onto his trail? There are so many questions about him that his story falls kinda flat...at least for me.