4-3: "Truth And Consequences" 2013.01.22

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

96 replies to this topic

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 10:59 PM

Drew Thompson's widow turns up and gets Raylan in hot water with the FBI: Boyd's strike at the snake church is met with a surprising strike back.

Surprising? One of Boyd's goons gettin' bit, that was the least surprising thing that happened this episode. But Boyd ended up winning that round.
Speaking of winning, ol' Randall ain't as dumb as he looks. Sure put one over on Raylan.

DuckyinKy

DuckyinKy

Fanatic

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 11:12 PM

I'd follow Boyd into a furnace. He's all kinds of wrong, but he speaks and I just go into a daze.

ReadIshmael

ReadIshmael

Stalker

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 11:16 PM

I like how soon they pulled the trigger on Lindsay taking Raylan's money; it means they have a lot more interesting things planned for that story in the future, and I want to see where it goes.

I loved the scene at the church so, so much. Great work from Mazzello and Goggins. Boyd's regret as things got out of his control and he realized that he'd set this innocent kid up to get hurt was really fascinating and powerful.

Tim and Rachel in the same episode? Both of them involved in Raylan's storylines in a real, non-exposition-fairy capacity? Amazing. About damn time.

deb50

deb50

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 11:18 PM

Raylan as the mark! Good one, show.

Both Rachel and Tim are looking so HOT, I hope they get more screen time.

I really feel that Boyd was disapointed that the preacher got bit.

benteen

benteen

Stalker

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 11:29 PM

God, Raylan, you're a moron. I don't know if he's intentionally stupid or just plain stupid. As soon as the bartender chick told him she used to steal money from men, he should have made damn sure he hid his money.

Good episode. Not as good as the first two this season and it took me a while to get into it but I was hooked, especially at the end. I agree that the Boyd/Billy standoff was riveting and that Billy managed to stand up Boyd much better in the charisma department. Though Boyd's own religion experience only occurred about 4-6 months ago in the Justified timeline. He really hasn't been away from it that long to come full circle.

Rachel was definitely looking good tonight and I liked both of her scenes. Art telling her that Raylan was a lost cause while he still had hope for her was funny. I still find this sudden husband of hers to be contrived. Good stuff from Tim and Art as well.

So the Detroit mob is still involved in what's going on in Arlen. Interesting.

thuganomics85

thuganomics85

Stalker

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 11:40 PM

Oh, Johnny. Trying to pull one over Boyd, by selling him out to Wynn Duffy? I guess I should respect the tenacity, but I have a feeling things won't go your way, and it might not be pretty. Really curious to see how this will play out. Anything involving those three tends to get crazy.

Kind of suspected that Lindsay and her husband were pulling something on Raylan. As badass as you can be, you really can be a dumbass sometimes, Raylan. Already looking forward to him going after them, especially since it looks like Rachel might be along for the ride.

Speaking of which, Rachel and Tim in the same episode?! Yay, show! Both of them were awesome tonight. And Art was in fine form tonight. Love that he's concerned that Raylan's behavior is rubbing off on Rachel. And him berating Raylan and Tim for the lady escaping on their watch. Reminds me of when he had a similar reaction to the time that pregnant lady escaped from those two way back in S2. Either way, I love it when the marshals get together.

Curious about Billy's fate. Would be strange if he died now, but you never know with this show. It did look like Boyd really didn't want him to actually go through with it. Great acting from Walton Goggins as always. I'm sure this story is far from over.

Like the slow build they are doing with the long arc story. Nothing too big, but each episode/case of the week, adds something to it that makes me get more interested by the minute.

BakerX2

BakerX2

Fanatic

Posted Jan 23, 2013 @ 12:08 AM

Rachel was definitely looking good tonight and I liked both of her scenes. Art telling her that Raylan was a lost cause while he still had hope for her was funny.

I thought it was kind of bullshit.

If Art cares about Rachel and keeping her on the straight and narrow, he needs to fucking deal with Raylan. Take his badge for the cowboy cop shit he does or any of the other fireable offenses he has committed over the past three years.

Letting Raylan forever getting away with shit means that Rachel (best case scenario) will get the idea that so long as she gets results, the rules don't apply to her like Mr. Special Snowflake Raylan. Worse case scenario, it means Rachel's going to take a bullet to the brain or worse, be tortured to death by a lunatic like Dicky Bennett, especially since Rachel doesn't have a frienemy like Boyd to save her ass in such a situation.

It's one of the central flaws of the show IMHO, in that Raylan always gets to skate on his rule bending and that Art is just too lazy to even try and put a stop to it. And now that Raylan's contaminated Rachel's ability to do her job, if Art REALLY wanted to fucking save Rachel, he should fucking take Rayla's badge and publicly have Raylan fired/his reason for sucking read outloud for EVERYONE to hear and basically make Raylan's firing/humiliation a huge fucking scene to put the fear of God into Rachel and put her back onto the straight and narrow.....

Peekay

Peekay

Fanatic

Posted Jan 23, 2013 @ 1:24 AM

Take his badge for the cowboy cop shit he does or any of the other fireable offenses he has committed over the past three years.

He should've been pretty much fired the beginning of season one, true, but then we wouldn't have the show! Or at least Raylan wouldn't be a marshal anymore, which means no more Marshal's Office, which means no more Rachel, Tim and Art. And I love the show and the rest of the marshals, so I have to overlook certain unrealistic turns of events.

That said, I'm glad that at least the show's decided to elaborate on Raylan's crazy cowboy antics and how they're affecting his poor coworkers, and this way Rachel seems to be more included in the main storylines. I liked how Rachel called on Raylan's behaviours and how Art is basically enabling it -- and by extention, encouraging everyone else in the office to do the same. Her words and actions are more than understandable. If he were my coworker, I think I would've avoid working with him at all costs, at the very least.

I mean, Raylan hasn't read the file on Drew Thompson's wife even just as he and Tim were walking up to her doorstep (and asked whether Tim had drug tested when Tim made a joke about her being a "psychic"). That's really lazy and potentially quite dangerous -- what if she was packing and was a known offender? He's just assuming that Tim would've done all the reading. (Which he obviously did.) For that matter, I'm surprised Tim's even civil to Raylan after how Raylan practically got Tim's friend at FBI suspended. Still, watching Raylan and his antics are so much fun, and I like watching Rachel and Tim giving Raylan a hard time -- especially Tim going open season on snark at the expense of Raylan pretty much all the time.

Overall, I really am loving this season so far. It seems a lot more cohesive in terms of characters and development. Boyd is no less fascinating, Raylan no less screwed up, but the mystery is shaping up excellently and I love how everyone is utilized so far.

Atomic Clock

Atomic Clock

Fanatic

Posted Jan 23, 2013 @ 2:27 AM

That church scene with the rattler was one of the most suspenseful the show has ever done. This season is really rockin' it.

I knew Raylan wouldn't have a showdown with Lindsey's ex. That would be too predictable. But his ultimatum did have a Tommy Bucks feel to it. I hope this marks the beginning of the end for Lindsey.

Glad they revived the Judas Johnny story, but I have a sad feeling that it won't end well. Wynn Duffy is not to be trusted any more than Boyd.

[snip]

Edited by TWoP Mars, Jan 23, 2013 @ 11:38 AM.
Manners

Tatler

Tatler

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 23, 2013 @ 4:30 AM

Oh Raylan! I love the continuity of Raylan's truly disasterous taste in women. Bad women and bourbon: his personal road to hell....

I liked the fact they were able to weave the personal and professional together and Tim continues to be bone-dry gold in every scene he's around. I tend to agree that Rachel's marital situation feels a litte contrived, but if it allows her to be in a few more scenes with Raylan, then it works.

Liked Boyd and the preachers and as mentioned above I agree that he was remorseful about Billy.

There's a careful, slow burn to this season which I'm enjoying the threads are coming together but in a more low-key way than the last couple of seasons.

BakerX2

BakerX2

Fanatic

Posted Jan 23, 2013 @ 5:33 AM

The show could still work if Raylan was not a law enforcement agent. And it would be something that could create a great deal of storyline potential, with Raylan going after bail jumpers as a source of income, dealing with Boyd from a position of weakness (no longer has the power of the law to help him investigate Boyd's crime syndicate), plus the interactions with Tim and Rachel, who would treat Raylan as a tool for their own investigations and let Raylan get a taste of what he's put them through over the past couple of seasons.

Not to mention the existential crisis of Raylan fucking up his life and having to face the consequences of it, especially given how he has based his entire identity on being the polar opposite of his criminal father. And given what we know about Raylan's own inner darkness, it would be a compelling direction for the character to see him deal with it without the badge providing Raylan with a touchstone to resist the darker angels of his soul.

The only character you could conceivably lose would be Art and I'd be willing to lose him if it means Tim and Rachel become the defacto faces of the marshal's service.

And you seriously didn't just call Art lazy. Wow!

He doesn't give a fuck about reigning Raylan in plus he's running a lousy ship where Raylan literally can walk all over him yet Rachel gets written up and the double standard being rubbed into her face that Raylan is a special snowflake who can break the rules.

If he wants to send a message to Rachel, best way would be to fire Raylan or demote him or something. Especially if Art only has a year left on the job. Whoever replaces him will probably not tolerate Raylan's bullshit, so he'd be best served removing the turmor that is Raylan and do his best to help Rachel deprogram from the bad habits she has picked up from Raylan and salvage her so that she doesn't end up like Raylan.

If Raylan is beyond fixing, cut the chord because his successor probably won't want anything to do with him and salvage your protege (Rachel) while you still can.

lynnea6

lynnea6

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 23, 2013 @ 7:14 AM

So great to see Tim and Rachel with actual lines in the same episode.

I was disappointed in Boyd for doing something so predictable as to send his guys to the church right after he confronted the sister. And the scenes with the snakes and the doctor pulling the snake off of Jimmy's face made me seriously cringe.

Navin

Navin

Fanatic

Posted Jan 23, 2013 @ 7:32 AM

He should've been pretty much fired the beginning of season one, true, but then we wouldn't have the show! Or at least Raylan wouldn't be a marshal anymore, which means no more Marshal's Office, which means no more Rachel, Tim and Art.

So you're saying you don't want to see an entire season of Justified where Raylan sits in an office, quietly doing paperwork? I think that would be an amazing crime drama! :)

I thought the snake's head stuck in a guy's face was a little over the top, but I liked it.

There was a psychic character in the Elmore Leonard novel Riding The Rap (the second Raylan book.) I assume that Eve was inspired by her.

benteen

benteen

Stalker

Posted Jan 23, 2013 @ 8:24 AM

Graham Yost told EW.com in the Justified wrap-up column that Billy is indeed dead. I have to say I'm surprised.

lynnea6

lynnea6

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 23, 2013 @ 8:43 AM

One more random thought:
Show, I love your dialogue, but the "marshal stiffy" has been beaten to death. Please let it go.

ETA: pun intended :)

Edited by lynnea6, Jan 23, 2013 @ 1:19 PM.

Peekay

Peekay

Fanatic

Posted Jan 23, 2013 @ 8:52 AM

So you're saying you don't want to see an entire season of Justified where Raylan sits in an office, quietly doing paperwork? I think that would be an amazing crime drama!

Hee, so do I! Especially if Raylan would occasionally get up and lean against things. The man knows how to lean.

Oh no, poor Billy. Now I feel bad for the sister. This season is moving fast.

Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 23, 2013 @ 8:53 AM

Boyd really needs to get himself some brighter goons. The only thing I could think when those two were making their way into that dark room/tent was: SNAKES! And yeah, too many snakes in this one for me, although I enjoyed how that storyline enabled Boyd to expose the preacher's BS (although I also felt sorry for the poor, delusional man).

I'm not sure of the point of introducing this issue of Rachel's failed marriage; I'm assuming there'll be one.

And how much money was Raylan supposed to have stashed in that drawer (and yes, it was a spectacularly stupid place to leave it)?

T o b y

T o b y

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 23, 2013 @ 9:03 AM

Wow. It wasn't the best episode of the season so far, but it had me riveted throughout.

The con played against Raylan surprised, but I hope this means the end for Lindsey, who I really wasn't a fan of. Raylan's story was okay, but...

Holy Smokes! that showdown in the church tent was intense. I had hoped desperately that Billy would not feel the need to face Boyd down, but knew he would. The suspense of that scene was really killer. I hope Boyd feels some remorse.

chailey

chailey

Fanatic

Posted Jan 23, 2013 @ 9:07 AM

Graham Yost told EW.com in the Justified wrap-up column that Billy is indeed dead. I have to say I'm surprised.

And it makes no sense whatsoever, unless he refused medical treatment. Many people survive rattlesnake bites (I had a relative that survived two copperhead bites) and the small doses of venom that he may have gotten from the milked snakes presumably would have built up some antibodies. At least he died before he had a kid. No more generations of kids too dumb to realize that if your father and grandfather died from snakebite, maybe that's God's way of telling you not to handle snakes.

The vision of the snake hanging off of Boyd's goon's cheek is burned into my retinas.

Sounds like Johnny is more resentful of Boyd taking his place in the criminal hierarchy than being crippled.

Loved all of Art's comments tonight.

babyblackcat

babyblackcat

Fanatic

Posted Jan 23, 2013 @ 9:47 AM

The beginning, where Jimmy got attacked by the snakes? I was practically climbing to the top of my chair and shrieking, it was so freaky and awful. And anytime they showed him with the snake attached to his face, I about lost it. I do love that it led to Boyd realizing the snakes Billy handled were not lethal.
I feel bad for Billy. He is/was a believer, one without any sense of self preservation. It was pretty cringe-inducing to watch him decide to go for it and pay the price. Goggins has really been killing it as always, his new position as kingpin has made him seem much more menacing. And on a shallow note, he's looking pretty damn good with his vest and pocket watch.

Oh Raylan, please tell me you weren't so stupid as to leave the money there, where Lindsay saw it, AFTER she told you about their scam. I know he turns into an idiot when it comes to women, but damn, that was a stupid move. I half wondered if maybe he did hide the money elsewhere or move it, given how they tossed the whole place, but based on the previews it doesn't look that way. I am looking forward to seeing how it resolves though, I was a little concerned they run off with his cash and that would be the end of it. Lindsay needs to pay!

Really glad to see more Art, Tim and Rachel - all in one episode!
Also really enjoying the mystery stuff too.

Really curious to see how the stuff with Johnny and Wynn plays out. Wynn will sell him out at the first hint of a problem.

Edited by babyblackcat, Jan 23, 2013 @ 9:51 AM.

fauntleroy

fauntleroy

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 23, 2013 @ 10:21 AM

I missed the season premiere so am unclear about Raylan's cash. How much did he have--ten grand? (Thanks Ep 1 recap.) Lindsay owned the bar. Seems like a pretty elaborate setup to bag a mere $10K. Not worth the bother. Was there more money at stake than that?

benteen

benteen

Stalker

Posted Jan 23, 2013 @ 10:27 AM

Show, I love your dialogue, but the "marshal stiffy" has been beaten to death. Please let it go.

Agreed. They've used it about six times in two weeks. It's lost its effect already.

Yost mentioned in his recap that Raylan's got a blindspot when it comes to women. He does without a doubt but I think this one was pushing it. Even if Raylan wanted to go on banging Lindsey, he should have at least been smart enough to hide the money in a better place. A blind spot is one thing (like not telling Winona about Gary) but this just makes Raylan Dewey Crowe-stupid.

Lindsay owned the bar. Seems like a pretty elaborate setup to bag a mere $10K. Not worth the bother. Was there more money at stake than that?

Her husband was in jail for a while. Lindsey probably set up bar in the meantime and then when he got out, they decided to back into the scam business. I mean, Raylan makes a good salary but he lives above a bar.

Edited by benteen, Jan 23, 2013 @ 10:30 AM.

quoriwow

quoriwow

Just Tuned In

Posted Jan 23, 2013 @ 10:27 AM

I swear if Walton Goggins doesn't start getting some Emmy nods for his acting I am going to lose my sh*t on someone!!! Man he is spectacular in everything he does!

Everyone calling for Raylan to get fired a few points...1) Its a show. So his antics are what we tune into the show for...its done for effect, just enjoy. 2) You ever try to "fire" someone in RL from a job beyond retail employment? Its near impossible. And even less likely when the person gets results. Is it messy, sure...but still he gets results. and lastly 3) You always keep one rough around the edges person around to use as both example and terrible warning.

As for the stash and Lindsey and her ex...As soon as Raylan heard her story, I suspect he set up a bluff. I don't think she got "all" the money. I bet he left some there yes...but why would the room be trashed? It was ransacked as if they were searching for more. My suspicion is simply this...Ex comes a knocking. Tells Lindsey they are out of there, inquires about some spare cash. She says Raylan keeps some in that drawer. They find it, maybe $500 or $1000. He asks if there is more, she says maybe, she doesn't know. She thinks there's more, but doesn't know where. He trashes the place looking for it. They leave with the little they get.

Now Raylan can say, "Hey, they did take some money from me. Just $500 or so I had saved>" Because if he had more than that stolen...say $10,000+...he would have to EXPLAIN where that amount of money came from. $1000 or less is believable. 10k or more is suspicious.

Sorry to see Billy go down, I wanted that story line to go further. LOVE the whole Johnny/Duffy back stab angle.

BeetFarmGirl

BeetFarmGirl

Fanatic

Posted Jan 23, 2013 @ 10:28 AM

the "marshal stiffy" has been beaten.

Heh... no pun intended? (sorry I'm twelve)

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Jan 23, 2013 @ 10:35 AM

I thought it was kind of bullshit.

Yeah, it's bullshit. That's what makes it funny. (imo) It's horrible personnel management (and seriously, nothing I haven't seen IRL, with miscreants given lots of leeway, and good girls being held to a way higher standard), and yet Searcy sells it.

the "marshal stiffy" has been beaten to death. Please let it go.

No way all of those puns weren't intended. No way. I ♥ .

Artsda

Artsda

Fanatic

Posted Jan 23, 2013 @ 10:36 AM

"He does something stupid everyday, can you be more specific?" LOL at Tim at the Psychic's house. So true.

Raylan's a dumbass, really he has a baby on the way is the bargirl that important to him he had to show up at the husband's gym and threaten him to leave and then want to fight him? Also she tells you she stole money from men and you have a drawer of money, is a man and she knows where the money is and he doesn't think about it at all? I'm thinking Winonna shouldn't let him anywhere around that kid.

Edited by Artsda, Jan 23, 2013 @ 11:55 AM.

Leroyiscrazy

Leroyiscrazy

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 23, 2013 @ 10:51 AM

Sepinwall over at Hitfix said he asked people on the show if Lindsey owned the bar or was just manager, and the answer he got was that she was a manager.

katms

katms

Fanatic

Posted Jan 23, 2013 @ 11:25 AM

"We have both of us underestimated each other". Boyd, keep talkin'. Just keep talkin'. The church scenes were the highlight of this episode. Tense and awesome.

So, I admit I am confused by why the FBI guy was at the gym. Was Drew really in there? What am I missing?

The kidnapped woman set him up. She gave that address knowing he'd run into Raylan whom she knew would be there from their earlier meeting.

I am such a moron. Thank you KalEl!

Edited by katms, Jan 23, 2013 @ 11:30 AM.

KalEl

KalEl

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 23, 2013 @ 11:25 AM

It's one of the central flaws of the show IMHO, in that Raylan always gets to skate on his rule bending and that Art is just too lazy to even try and put a stop to it.

Or he's not a hypocrite. Clearly you missed the episode where Art explained to one of his old marshal buddies that he felt Raylan was payback for the hell he gave his boss when he was younger. Art came through and despite what he says, he thinks Raylan might come through as well. Not to mention Raylan's a soldier; he expects Rachel to become a general. The standards are different.

That Raylan was going to lose that money was telegraphed from a mile away. Look for Boyd to lose his poorly hidden stash as well.

And Blonde Bartender doesn't own the bar. Raylan stated clearly last season that a friend of his owns the bar.

So, I admit I am confused by why the FBI guy was at the gym. Was Drew really in there? What am I missing?

The kidnapped woman set him up. She gave that address knowing he'd run into Raylan whom she knew would be there from their earlier meeting.

Edited by KalEl, Jan 23, 2013 @ 11:28 AM.

spiderweb55

spiderweb55

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 23, 2013 @ 11:33 AM

"We have both of us underestimated each other". Boyd, keep talkin'. Just keep talkin'. The church scenes were the highlight of this episode. Tense and awesome.

This. Actually I'm pretty pissed that Billy is apparently most sincerely dead. Last week's church confrontation was, IMO, a series high note, and last night's was awesome as well. But at least Walton Goggins has his Emmy reel ready (and he better win this year!).

I see this Lindsey/ex(?)-hubby shit getting tedious pretty quickly.