Nicki Minaj: Bringing "Crazy" Back To The Judging Panel

• Please log in to reply

89 replies to this topic

Kromm

Kromm

Fanatic

Posted Mar 8, 2013 @ 3:39 PM

I think Minaj makes some comments for the purpose of taking a stab at Mariah. The, "40 year olds throwing their panties" coupled with "being old school.." Then there was the shot about the girl's cleavage that was, "tasteful, because it was not 'too much'." I think Minaj is straight up jealous of Mariah.

Heh. If so, Mariah fired back by going totally Boobalicious on the Top Ten reveal show.

Totally different subject: How Nicki totally fucks over contestants regularly with her statements. Randy used to do this kind of thing all of the time, but now Nicki has taken the crown.

Examples:

1.) Saying various contestants that they are definitely going through to the next round. Mind you, even if she's right it doesn't eliminate the effect of this--these people are STILL getting less votes the moment Nicki says this. One of these times it may result in a Pia Toscano situation.

2.) Telling people what their "lane" is. Best example: Devon and his Spanish singing. The way she stated it, the moment he turns in a judged performance where he doesn't sing in Spanish, she'll point it out and he'll take a hit. I believe, in fact, that his choice of victory songs was totally in English deliberately in an attempt to pre-empt that and hopefully get a positive judge statement about how he didn't NEED the gimmick, but Nicki ensured the exact opposite happened with how she phrased things.

OakGoblinfly

OakGoblinfly

Fanatic

Posted Mar 8, 2013 @ 4:03 PM

Telling people what their "lane" is. Best example: Devon and his Spanish singing. The way she stated it, the moment he turns in a judged performance where he doesn't sing in Spanish, she'll point it out and he'll take a hit. I believe, in fact, that his choice of victory songs was totally in English deliberately in an attempt to pre-empt that and hopefully get a positive judge statement about how he didn't NEED the gimmick, but Nicki ensured the exact opposite happened with how she phrased things.

This from the woman who picked a fight with Randy in the audtion rounds because Randy wanted to know what kind of recording that one country-ish girl saw herself becoming.

getawayjordan

getawayjordan

Fanatic

Posted Mar 9, 2013 @ 7:31 AM

I think Minaj makes some comments for the purpose of taking a stab at Mariah. The, "40 year olds throwing their panties" coupled with "being old school.."

That tune was an "old school" fave and IMO the comment was intended to appeal to the 40-50ish crowd. Nothing more. Any connection to Mariah was purely coincidental, but YMMV. I still think the so called Mimi/Minaj rivalry is an IDOL creation played strictly to boost ratings which are good, but have been lower than what the TPTB were hoping for.

That said, while I do like Nicki, I wish she would stick to more sober critiques and lose the dumb accents and marginally offensive boobage comments. The nicknames are ok, but she overdoes that too at times. There are times when she provides very useful comments (a la Keith Urban) and just when we think it's safe to go back in the water, she will say something stupid

Edited by getawayjordan, Mar 9, 2013 @ 7:54 AM.

ari333

ari333

Fanatic

Posted Mar 11, 2013 @ 1:38 PM

Totally different subject: How Nicki totally fucks over contestants regularly with her statements. Randy used to do this kind of thing all of the time, but now Nicki has taken the crown.

Examples:

1.) Saying various contestants that they are definitely going through to the next round. Mind you, even if she's right it doesn't eliminate the effect of this--these people are STILL getting less votes the moment Nicki says this. One of these times it may result in a Pia Toscano situation.

2.) Telling people what their "lane" is. Best example: Devon and his Spanish singing. The way she stated it, the moment he turns in a judged performance where he doesn't sing in Spanish, she'll point it out and he'll take a hit. I believe, in fact, that his choice of victory songs was totally in English deliberately in an attempt to pre-empt that and hopefully get a positive judge statement about how he didn't NEED the gimmick, but Nicki ensured the exact opposite happened with how she phrased things.

THIS times 10.

Minaj is either too stupid to know that she is bussing the contestants - (maybe she never watched the show that she was hired to "judge") or she does know what she's doing and doesn't care. Either way, not good.

Cherry Wire

Cherry Wire

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2013 @ 11:10 AM

Nicki being late for the show....so totally staged. Maybe Kobe Bryant can loan her his helicopter next time.

I can see why the show is trying to make Nicki (and the judges), not the contestants, the center of attention. They're all established figures, while the contestants are not - and most of them never will be. Someone compared AI's increasing reliance on the judges to carry the show, with movie studio's increasing use of sequels over the last decade. It's the safe play, and we see the results in the Nicki-Mariah feud getting 10x as much buzz as anything Kree Harrison does.

txtoyqueen

txtoyqueen

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 15, 2013 @ 3:30 PM

Get rid of Nikki......me to time she threatens to walk...LET HER GO!!! She is too disrespectful to the other judges and is just concerned about herself. I would like to see a few past winners become judges.....Kelly Clarkson or Carrie Underwood, for example. They understand what these young people are going through and I think can honestly critique without the drama.

Theodora69

Theodora69

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 15, 2013 @ 10:53 PM

She is absolutely the worst judge ever! She is ruining the show. Why they hired her is beyond me. Fire her, please!

kelslamu

kelslamu

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 21, 2013 @ 2:28 AM

Personally, I think she's an idiot. Someone mentioned her as being a role model. That woman is no role model. Go look at the video a poster posted upthread. YMMV, of course. She may have actual knowledge and has shown it once or twice. However, the way she portrays herself takes any respect she may get away. JMO

Edited by kelslamu, Mar 21, 2013 @ 2:29 AM.

OakGoblinfly

OakGoblinfly

Fanatic

Posted Mar 21, 2013 @ 2:43 PM

I don't understand how Nicki gets away with some of the comments she does; in any workplace environment commenting about someone's "skinny jeans" or "giving them the elevator eyes" or make any of the numerous sexual innuendos she's dropped would be grounds for an investigation (if not out and out firing). I don't care if she's an "artist" - it's inappropriate and offensive (to the point where I am uncomfortable watching the show).

Ohwell

Ohwell

Fanatic

Posted Mar 21, 2013 @ 5:09 PM

I am truly surprised that TPTB haven't pulled Nicki aside and told her to cut out the sexual innuendos and the inappropriate behavior. Do they really think that the audience likes that, even if some or even most of the audience is young? I would think that most of the younger audience would go "eeewwwww!" I feel so sorry for the contestants who have to just stand up there and pretend they like it.

Steven Tyler made some inappropriate comments from time to time but he wasn't nearly this bad. Not even close.

Theodora69

Theodora69

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 21, 2013 @ 11:52 PM

I think the contestants are secretly laughing at her for the comments she makes. She is really offensive.

ramble

ramble

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 22, 2013 @ 6:57 PM

I've tried to give Nicki the benefit of the doubt & get over my old self but she comes across as an idiot so much of the time that I don't think it's an age thing. She seems so totally in love with herself & her opinion & has not learned any ways to at least appear gracious & fake humility. She's making me feel protective of Randy. Randy?! That's just wrong. I thought she might offer comments of value, at least occasionally, but I just hear noise when she talks. I love to eat waffles & I'm obsessed with your shoes aren't entertaining me.

angelita100

angelita100

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2013 @ 8:38 PM

I love her as a judge even if she's said a few things I wish she hadn't. It's better than the opposite that is Mariah and Randy. I'm not offended by her wifey or other things that seem to bother people. I personally hate that Urban calls the women baby over most of the things that Nikki has said. But he's so cute I guess it doesn't matter.

I like big personalities so I hope she sticks around. The singers this year are mostly devoid of personality.

ari333

ari333

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2013 @ 3:48 PM

Minaj should not be considered in the vote on the save if she refuses to confer with the other three judges, look at them, or speak to them. Actually, I wish I knew who to write to to voice my suggestion of getting her the hell off the show. She makes me want to turn the channel and that should count for sah-um.

Caught the last 15 minutes of ELLEN. Minaj performed. Her backup singer was excellent.

Edited by ari333, Apr 1, 2013 @ 3:49 PM.

pennben

pennben

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2013 @ 4:32 AM

I think she's the best thing about this season. I wasn't watching before I heard that she was giving brutal critiques. I collapsed in laughter (like Keith) when she told the boys to get of the stage after their atrocious attempt at that song. It needed to be said; they were awful!!

Minaj should not be considered in the vote on the save if she refuses to confer with the other three judges, look at them, or speak to them

Perhaps she knew without a doubt she wasn't going to vote for the guy who had been in the bottom all these weeks, why should she?

Bland is boring; and unfair to the contestants; and even more unfair to the audience. The show is not about giving trophies to everyone.

Irritants create pearls; coddling does not.

Edited by pennben, Apr 3, 2013 @ 4:36 AM.

LennieB

LennieB

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2013 @ 2:06 PM

Nicki Tweeted which of her songs the F6 should sing:

Nicki Minaj‏@NICKIMINAJ 6 Apr
Candice: Marilyn Monroe, Angie: Turn Me On, Amber: Save Me, Janelle: Young Forever, Kree: Marilyn Monroe, Lazaro: Beautiful Sinner

Edited by LennieB, Apr 8, 2013 @ 2:07 PM.

corvus13

corvus13

Stalker

Posted Apr 11, 2013 @ 4:45 PM

God, Nicki Minaj is such a bitch. I don't care that she doesn't like Lazaro, she's being paid to critique, so critique, dammit.

stevensimages

stevensimages

Just Tuned In

Posted Apr 11, 2013 @ 4:58 PM

I think Nikki's non-critique was about three things.
One, yes, she's irritated that Lazaro is still on the show when every single one of the top 20 are better than he is, coupled with the fact that this particular performance was the absolute worst he's given and possibly the worst by anyone in the top 20 in the history of the show, Sanjaya included.
Two, anything she was going to say was just going to be mean and maybe she didn't want to pile onto him any more than everybody else had.
Three, the producers were telling them to move it along because Queen Mariah used approximately 1,500 words to say "sorry, but that sucked, Lazaro."

Mostly number 3.

ari333

ari333

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2013 @ 5:01 PM

Minaj seemed dismissive and rude, but what else is new.

Her non critique beats having to listen to her insults and yammering, imo.

Talented Tenth

Talented Tenth

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2013 @ 7:33 PM

I love Nicki on the show and she's the reason I watch this season. I haven't regularly watched Idol in years due to the bland top 10's or the uninteresting judges. I can only imagine how boring the panel would be with just Keith, Mariah and Randy. Nicki keeps me entertained and is giving the show life. I know some people are attributing lower ratings to her, but I think it's because there are other music shows out now and also there weren't any heartthrob men in the top 10. All of the men are confirmed gay or seem gay and there was no one for teen girls to be fanatical about. Nicki is the best thing about the show to me, besides the contestants.

Kromm

Kromm

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2013 @ 7:22 PM

Minaj seemed dismissive and rude, but what else is new.

Her non critique beats having to listen to her insults and yammering, imo.

How many times has she done the 'kay thing now?

Kromm

Kromm

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2013 @ 5:03 AM

Nicki Minaj Goes Off Twitter Rant, Calls Mariah Carey “Bitter” and “Insecure”

After7Only

After7Only

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 3, 2013 @ 11:16 AM

http://music.yahoo.com/blogs/reality-rocks/nicki-minaj-goes-off-twitter-rant-calls-mariah-200124961.html

Wow... Nicki is definitely on one. How unprofessional can you be? She's coming off a little bitter and insecure herself.

SunFun

SunFun

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 3, 2013 @ 11:55 AM

She suffers from an unjustified sense of importance, and misguided self-confidence.

Edited by SunFun, May 3, 2013 @ 11:56 AM.

Make It So

Make It So

Stalker

Posted May 9, 2013 @ 8:28 AM

Nicki's Twitter comments are interesting, considering her whole "insecurities" blabber during her "critique" of Candice's performance last night.

If they get rid of her now (yes before the season ends), it would be nice, imo.

Ketzel

Ketzel

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2013 @ 2:03 PM

Having seen Nicki's performance on the Billboard 2013 Awards show, I think I now know why she wasn't given a slot to perform on the Idol finale. Idol has always been fundamentally a family show - I remember all the positive press in the early days about kids and grandmothers watching together and debating their favorites, etc. I don't think Minaj would be capable of toning down her performance to fit that audience. In fact, I think her whole performance shtick is being a shocking, "dirty girl."  IMO, tasteless and obnoxious, but I guess it sells.

anonymiss

anonymiss

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2013 @ 2:20 PM

Nicki has done the family-friendly performances on the Teen Choice Awards and The Ellen Show (and I'm sure on other venues that I'm not aware of since I'm only a fan of hers from her work on Idol). So she could have promoted her more poppy, kid-friendly singles or toned down her current stage act but my guess is she knows she doesn't need the AI audience to do well on the charts so why bother trying to win it over. 

Edited by anonymiss, May 20, 2013 @ 2:59 PM.

Gs Maniac

Gs Maniac

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 2, 2014 @ 1:05 AM

She was easily the best thing about this season tbh.

DollEyes

DollEyes

Fanatic

Posted Jan 18, 2014 @ 1:44 PM

She was easily the best thing about this season, tbh.

I totally disagree. IMO, most of the time Nicki Minaj was tacky, immature and just a straight-up bitch.  Nicki may have given good critiques occasionally, but like the saying goes, "Even a broken clock is right twice a day."

As far as I'm concerned, the best thing Nicki Minaj did for this show (besides quitting) is make me appreciate Keith Urban and Harry Connick Jr. even more.

Edited by DollEyes, Jan 18, 2014 @ 1:45 PM.

Kromm

Kromm

Fanatic

Posted Jan 22, 2014 @ 4:45 PM

She was entertaining the first time she did her little crazy Nicki act on the show.  But it got old REAL fast.